Mariners 2019 season

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":69vmabsr said:
Wow. This Erik Swanson kid is a mess. I'm guessing he'll be back in Tacoma soon. His tryout for a spot in the rotation has to end after his disaster tonight, one would assume.

He's got good stuff but has been absolutely awful as his command has struggled. The pathetic thing is that of all the pitching prospects, including Sheffield, Swanson was considered the most major league ready. Obviously not very promising. Maybe they'll call up Justus again.

The bullpen is garbage also with the exception of Sadzeck, Elias and Brennan who have all been solid.

Dipoto better hope he can flip Encarnacion, Bruce, Healy, Beckham or others for a few prospects before the break. I don't anticipate high interest in any of our guys sans maybe Haniger. With the prospects they currently have, they're going to need a lot more to give them a chance at realistically contending by '21. I'm just not seeing it at this point.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3sahf0ul said:
Thepeelsessions":3sahf0ul said:
Wow. This Erik Swanson kid is a mess. I'm guessing he'll be back in Tacoma soon. His tryout for a spot in the rotation has to end after his disaster tonight, one would assume.

He's got good stuff but has been absolutely awful as his command has struggled. The pathetic thing is that of all the pitching prospects, including Sheffield, Swanson was considered the most major league ready. Obviously not very promising. Maybe they'll call up Justus again.

The bullpen is garbage also with the exception of Sadzeck, Elias and Brennan who have all been solid.

Dipoto better hope he can flip Encarnacion, Bruce, Healy, Beckham or others for a few prospects before the break. I don't anticipate high interest in any of our guys sans maybe Haniger. With the prospects they currently have, they're going to need a lot more to give them a chance at realistically contending by '21. I'm just not seeing it at this point.

Yeah, he has absolutely no command right now, which is scary because he uses good fastball more than half the time. His secondary picked are the change and slider, and he seems reluctant to use those. Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Sheffield yet. He was the "centerpiece" of that trade. He's been roughed up a bit in Tacoma so far. How long will it be until he's ready for the rotation? Could be a while.

Maybe it's just me, but Gearrin seems to have really bounced back lately. Not sold on Brennan at all.

I completely agree with your last point. Beckham's fielding has probably plummeted any stock he might've had. Bruce is an enigma. I think Encarnacion might have some value, but who knows. Would you be willing to include Mitch in a trade, if you could get a top prospect? I honestly have no faith in Dipoto. His track record since he's been here is enough of a sample size for me.

Largent80

Reaction score
THUD is the sound Mariners fans are familiar with. And we have this years version. It was expected but that start makes it worse.

They need to trade for prospects not players for this year.

Atradees

Reaction score
If we have better pitching we would win all our games because we have three designated hitters. I dont know if there is a coherent direction.

Threedee

Reaction score
Atradees":3i3hdzdv said:
If we have better pitching we would win all our games because we have three designated hitters. I dont know if there is a coherent direction.

If we had pitchers, period, we would win more games.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2ycvlsyy said:
West TX Hawk":2ycvlsyy said:
Thepeelsessions":2ycvlsyy said:

Yeah, he has absolutely no command right now, which is scary because he uses good fastball more than half the time. His secondary picked are the change and slider, and he seems reluctant to use those. Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Sheffield yet. He was the "centerpiece" of that trade. He's been roughed up a bit in Tacoma so far. How long will it be until he's ready for the rotation? Could be a while.

Maybe it's just me, but Gearrin seems to have really bounced back lately. Not sold on Brennan at all.

I completely agree with your last point. Beckham's fielding has probably plummeted any stock he might've had. Bruce is an enigma. I think Encarnacion might have some value, but who knows. Would you be willing to include Mitch in a trade, if you could get a top prospect? I honestly have no faith in Dipoto. His track record since he's been here is enough of a sample size for me.
The BP pitchers..Sadzeck,Gearrin and Brennan are solid..There is one more I like but his name
escapes my mind..
The starting staff? :pukeface:
I know it's bad until the kids are ready..Dunn and Sheff
Swanson?I'm really not sure what to make out of him..Yet

Threedee

Reaction score
Mariners pitching staff is putting on batting practice for the Twins. Not sure that I have ever seen the M's give-up 20 runs in a game before, but, I have also never seen anything like this pitching staff (so, it's possible, 12 runs in, and only in the 4th). I started watching in 1990 (when I was four), so, I missed-out on the 1977-89 era of pitching.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Threedee":d1cqswfn said:
Mariners pitching staff is putting on batting practice for the Twins. Not sure that I have ever seen the M's give-up 20 runs in a game before, but, I have also never seen anything like this pitching staff (so, it's possible, 12 runs in, and only in the 4th). I started watching in 1990 (when I was four), so, I missed-out on the 1977-89 era of pitching.
Yeah, this is ugly. 15-4 now in the 5th. This staff is just downright bad. The team as a whole is not only on pace to shatter the season record for errors, but they have to be on pace to shatter the season record for ERs as well. I know I've said it before, but DAMN! There's no way I expected it to be THIS bad this year. It's making me regret buying tickets to the Cardinals game, and I always love getting out to at least one game a year. I was there two years ago when they got drubbed by the White Sox on a Yovani Gallardo start. I think the final was like 16-1 or something. Everyone knew the game was over by the 2nd inning. That wasn't fun at all.

sutz

Reaction score
Hilarious. Down 15-0 top of five and the M's chase their starter after 4 2/3. 15 run cushion and he doesn't get the win. :laugh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This team is no longer fun to watch, and I’m NOT basking in the first place glory anymore. 8)

Time to start the Tacoma shuttle.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3u6lyaf5 said:
This team is no longer fun to watch, and I’m NOT basking in the first place glory anymore. 8)

They started that a while ago. :laugh:

More tonight because the bullpen has pitched about 90 innings the last 3 nights.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Hmm I’m looking forward to the Baltimore series. That will be our ALCS of bad. Might be playing for worst records, so thats fun :sarcasm_off: :pukeface:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Unless they are tanking for draft picks, Servais should be canned. Look what frickin' Baldelli is doing with Minny. Who else remembers him from TB?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Crizilla":24rx4334 said:
Unless they are tanking for draft picks, Servais should be canned. Look what frickin' Baldelli is doing with Minny. Who else remembers him from TB?
Honestly, Servais should've been canned a long time ago.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I just saw a a "tweet" that said since April 27, Seattle has been outscored by a margin of 141-65. And that's not including tonight. Let that sink in, boys and girls.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2y5i2bow said:
Sports Hernia":2y5i2bow said:

They started that a while ago. :laugh:

More tonight because the bullpen has pitched about 90 innings the last 3 nights.
No, I’m talking about 5 or 6 at a time. You produce you stay, you don’t you get to vacation in Tacoma for awhile.
Too many AB’s being given away by the hitters, and too many pitchers throwing BP during games.

If you as a team or battling and losing close games that’s one thing, getting blown out on a nightly basis pretty much means you are failing in all facets of the game.

And yes I know it’s a rebuild year.

Threedee

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2zqycya8 said:
Threedee":2zqycya8 said:
Yeah, this is ugly. 15-4 now in the 5th. This staff is just downright bad. The team as a whole is not only on pace to shatter the season record for errors, but they have to be on pace to shatter the season record for ERs as well. I know I've said it before, but DAMN! There's no way I expected it to be THIS bad this year. It's making me regret buying tickets to the Cardinals game, and I always love getting out to at least one game a year. I was there two years ago when they got drubbed by the White Sox on a Yovani Gallardo start. I think the final was like 16-1 or something. Everyone knew the game was over by the 2nd inning. That wasn't fun at all.

I have a Facebook invite from my aunt and uncle to attend a Cardinals game. This tells me that their close friends from STL are in town (they are a fun crowd that I used to enjoy having at family BBQs when they were living in Seattle). The series is guaranteed to be a disaster, as the entire NL Central (minus Cincy) is a monster. But, I haven't been to a game, will be free, and I wouldn't mind having some beers with this group and just checking-out.

Threedee

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3leql1z9 said:
Crizilla":3leql1z9 said:
Honestly, Servais should've been canned a long time ago.

Dipoto hanging onto Servais is like Carroll hanging onto DFB (except not even Servais could ever suck that much). You just aren't going anywhere in this game if your manager isn't above average, and Dipoto thinks he can put together a competive roster one of these days.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I have said before that the Cubs are my National team..
They have not extended Maddon as his contract is up
after the season..There is only one team I would love
for him to leave for and think he would be a perfect
fit for.. ;)
The guy is a real manager who gets the most out of
young guys..He would love Seattle and fit right in..
A championship for the Mariners could be reality
with him..If anyone doesn't understand,all you have
to do is look up his record and what he has had on
his teams with Tampa and Cubs it is a lot less than
the Red Sox and Stankees(for Lymon) :lol:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":155gbh7b said:
I have said before that the Cubs are my National team..
They have not extended Maddon as his contract is up
after the season..There is only one team I would love
for him to leave for and think he would be a perfect
fit for.. ;)
The guy is a real manager who gets the most out of
young guys..He would love Seattle and fit right in..
A championship for the Mariners could be reality
with him..If anyone doesn't understand,all you have
to do is look up his record and what he has had on
his teams with Tampa and Cubs it is a lot less than
the Red Sox and Stankees(for Lymon) :lol:
Madden would be great here. :2thumbs: