Mariners OFF-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I love the Martin trade. He had a really bad year last year, but his defense and speed alone make him a great fit for Safeco. I think with a fresh start in Seattle he could be a really good player.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1zvzliue said:
I love the Martin trade. He had a really bad year last year, but his defense and speed alone make him a great fit for Safeco. I think with a fresh start in Seattle he could be a really good player.

Great in the field, can't hit.

Chapow

Reaction score
DTexHawk":37c4vi3i said:

As a Mariners fan, this sentence is very familiar. I think it's our team motto or something.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Chapow":25jup3io said:
DTexHawk":25jup3io said:

As a Mariners fan, this sentence is very familiar. I think it's our team motto or something.
No. Our motto under Jack Z was has a lot of pop in his bat but struggles to get on base.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I like that Dipoto is actively making changes and appears to have a vision of what he thinks it'll take to succeed at Safeco. I'm not crazy about losing Miller and Lomo (28 homers between them) or Wilhelmsen but I'm willing to see how it all pans out. Maybe he'll seek a decent free agent bat or make another big trade during the winter meetings. Karns is a great young arm and #3 starter in the rotation.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2b5ttqx5 said:
I like that Dipoto is actively making changes and appears to have a vision of what he thinks it'll take to succeed at Safeco. I'm not crazy about losing Miller and Lomo (28 homers between them) or Wilhelmsen but I'm willing to see how it all pans out. Maybe he'll seek a decent free agent bat or make another big trade during the winter meetings. Karns is a great young arm and #3 starter in the rotation.
Hope he's as smart as he is aggressive.

Rob12

Reaction score
Dipoto has made some interesting moves so far. I kind of have a feeling that he knows what he's doing. With some money coming off of the books, I'd love to see them splash and sign Heyward. He would be a huge get - and an outfield of Guti/Smith/Martin/Heyward would be amazing defensively. It would be the antithesis of what Jack Z did.

The King/Cano/Cruz/Seager window won't be open forever. I think if this team wants to win a WS any time soon, they need to go all in now before the core gets too old.

Martin, CF
Heyward, RF
Cruz, DH
Cano, 2B
Seager, 3B
Trumbo, 1B
Guti, LF
Zunino, C
Marte, SS

That's a great looking squad. Obviously, we need to hope that the horrible season that Martin had last season was just a blip on the radar. He's great defensively and has a top 3 OF arm. The black hole in the lineup would be Zunino, who was completely ruined by the Z regime. Edgar really has his work cut out for him in Zunino. Hopefully Dipoto signs a catcher and Mike can spend most of 2016 in AAA.

Dipoto isn't even close to being done yet. Signing Heyward is a long shot but that could be a move that really sets things in motion.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Rob12":27miog4n said:
The black hole in the lineup would be Zunino, who was completely ruined by the Z regime. Edgar really has his work cut out for him in Zunino. Hopefully Dipoto signs a catcher and Mike can spend most of 2016 in AAA.

Dipoto isn't even close to being done yet. Signing Heyward is a long shot but that could be a move that really sets things in motion.

And so we signed a catcher today. http://m.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/ ... s-iannetta

Chris Ianetta, 32, the Angels' catcher the last 4 seasons. He had a rough year, hitting .188 10hr 32 rbi in 92 games; career OBP .351 though and career avg. .252; 1 year stop-gap at $4.25 mil + incentives with option to vest next year; We'll see how he does but we are really becoming the Seattle Angels.

And I too think Heyward would be a good signing. We still need more pop and athleticism in the lineup and he's got both. Should be some interesting winter meetings this year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3r6tb9mc said:
Rob12":3r6tb9mc said:
The black hole in the lineup would be Zunino, who was completely ruined by the Z regime. Edgar really has his work cut out for him in Zunino. Hopefully Dipoto signs a catcher and Mike can spend most of 2016 in AAA.

And so we signed a catcher today. http://m.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/ ... s-iannetta

Chris Ianetta, 32, the Angels' catcher the last 4 seasons. He had a rough year, hitting .188 10hr 32 rbi in 92 games; career OBP .351 though and career avg. .252; 1 year stop-gap at $4.25 mil + incentives with option to vest next year; We'll see how he does but we are really becoming the Seattle Angels.

And I too think Heyward would be a good signing. We still need more pop and athleticism in the lineup and he's got both. Should be some interesting winter meetings this year.
That surely means Zunino will be in Tacoma this year? I hope he's able to recover from being rushed to the Show.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm not feeling Heyward for that dough. His name is bigger than his production, and we've seen what happens when national leaguers transfer their skills to Safeco. His .293 with 13 HR ends up at .245 with 9 HR really quick. We need a couple guys that can get on base, as do about 30 other teams. Who is going to hit leadoff?

Crizilla

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ibwfi6j said:
West TX Hawk":2ibwfi6j said:
Rob12":2ibwfi6j said:

That surely means Zunino will be in Tacoma this year? I hope he's able to recover from being rushed to the Show.

yep i highly doubt we bring him back next season. The dude is getting special hitting treatment with coaches, too. He had no business being the big leagues.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ytsqhb0 said:
Sports Hernia":2ytsqhb0 said:
Hasselbeck":2ytsqhb0 said:
Cano reportedly wants out and to rejoin the Yankees.

Great signing guys. :lol:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592 ... g-national
Bleacher report is the sports equivalent of the national enquirer.

They're not the original source of the rumor.

True, but the cited source was iffy at best and since that weak offseason rumor emerged there has been a video posted by Cano tagging the M's with the caption, "getting ready for the season."

Subzero717

Reaction score
Dipoto pretty much said that most aquistions would be made via trades. Don't expect any splashy signings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":8abgov46 said:

Bleacher Report is a hack site, but I still believe it.

I also believe Dipoto called Cano's agent and said "It ain't happening bro, so tell Robbie to knock it off he isn't going anywhere."

Thus the backtracking and Dipoto's statement today.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":s7aewhdd said:
Hasselbeck":s7aewhdd said:

I also believe Dipoto called Cano's agent and said "It ain't happening bro, so tell Robbie to knock it off he isn't going anywhere."

I could have told anyone that the Cano signing was a bad one the minute he inked the contract. 10 year contracts are never a good thing, especially if the player will be playing the majority of that contract in his mid to late 30's.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2dz8an1r said:
Sgt. Largent":2dz8an1r said:
Hasselbeck":2dz8an1r said:

I could have told anyone that the Cano signing was a bad one the minute he inked the contract. 10 year contracts are never a good thing, especially if the player will be playing the majority of that contract in his mid to late 30's.

No one thinks 10 year contracts are a good idea, but when you're the Seattle Mariners and you've stunk the past 10-12 years, it's the only way a player of Cano's skill is going to sign with you.

So I get it, and I was OK with the signing, still am. Cano just needs a manager that knows how to motivate him.......cause Lloyd obviously wasn't doing it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The M's signed Chris Iannetta, a career .232 hitter and posted a BA of .188, to be their starting catcher. Only the Mariners would see this as an upgrade. :34853_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.