Mark Glowinski GREAT job at RG spot!

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So you're telling me JS grabbed Clark, Lockett and Glowinski in this draft? Not bad.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":umpnrbmb said:
I think Sweezy's replacement has just happened.

Would probably be good. Would rather not have to afford Sweezy's second contract.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Is his ceiling better than Britt's and could he replace him? Asking as Britt has shown more issues and am unsure if he's naturally suited to that position.

Kinda doubt Sweezy will be pushing for a big paycheck. Probably just a bit of bump over his initial contract.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It isn't in keeping with the awesomeness of Glowinski theme, but on the play where Russell had an easy TD, but slid too soon, Glowinski got absolutely blown up by Red Bryant. In a hilarious, welcome to the NFL way. Seriously, Bryant hit him so hard he went back two yards.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
lobohawk":1i8n4thw said:
Is his ceiling better than Britt's and could he replace him? Asking as Britt has shown more issues and am unsure if he's naturally suited to that position.

Kinda doubt Sweezy will be pushing for a big paycheck. Probably just a bit of bump over his initial contract.

Britt had issues early on but he's played good football last half of the season

volsunghawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":26wxfb9d said:

I don't know. I'd be willing to bet that Sweezy will be pushing for a paycheck commensurate with a starting guard's salary on a Super Bowl winning team. He's been working on a 7th rounder's rookie deal. At the end of this 4th season of his, he'll have earned $2.16 million over the life of the deal, not counting playoff bonuses. He's among the lowest paid RGs in the league.

Largent80

Reaction score
There is no doubt Sweezy will be seeking money, especially after a concussion, Ironically, that concussion could lower his price.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Currently, Sweezy still gives us a more balanced player in the position. Glow looks like he has a higher ceiling. He still has some technical flaws, but clearly has made improvements since college. Yes, d-linemen and coordinators will watch the tape to see where he is susceptible, and he will likely have a (temporary) regression once there is sufficient tape to identify his weaknesses (I would rather see this happen in the early part of the season instead of the playoffs). Once his weaknesses have been exploited a bit, he and the Seahawks coaches will make adjustments. We won't really know what he is capable of until then.

If healthy, I would keep Sweezy in for the playoffs. He gives us a better balance of protection and a degree of seniority on a very young line. I would bet he is mentoring Gilliam during the game and Okung is mentoring Britt. Granted, we aren't looking at another St. Louis type of defense for the rest of the year, but I still feel that the veteran leadership and mentorship will be important to thriving against playoff level competition.

There is a very good chance that we lose Sweezy to free agency. Obviously, if Glowinski makes us a better team now, then we go with him. However, all other things being equal, I would keep Sweezy in to maximize his value and improve our comp pick position.

- bsd

sutz

Reaction score
If Sweezy is healthy, he'll play. The experience alone will be a plus. Glow did well, but he won't be a starter yet unless there is an injury. It looks like he's ready to compete for a starting job next year, at least.

I expect Sweeze to get a decent payday. I don't expect any Hutch style dramatics, but he deserves NFL competitive OG starter pay. He'll get it somewhere. I hope it is here. Schneider, please step up on this one. Our O-line deserves and needs some continuity.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hmmm . . . 8 games of postseason experience including 3 NFC championships and 2 Superbowls vs. 1 career start?

What to do, what to do . . .

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
McGruff":3ik2wwpm said:
Hmmm . . . 8 games of postseason experience including 3 NFC championships and 2 Superbowls vs. 1 career start?

What to do, what to do . . .

Playing in 0° weather may call for frequent rotations.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I think they will have a choice between re-signing the oft-injured Okung and the oft-inconsistent Sweezy. If they re-sign Sweezy and allow Okung to walk, which would save money, then Britt likely moves back to RT, Gilliam moves to his more natural LT position, and Glowinski finally makes the move to Left Guard in a competition with Sokoli. Either way, drafting the OT position should be a priority. They are much deeper at guard than they are at OT or C because of the last draft class.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
hawknation2015":240whdum said:
I think they will have a choice between re-signing the oft-injured Okung and the oft-inconsistent Sweezy. If they re-sign Sweezy and allow Okung to walk, which would save money, then Britt likely moves back to RT, Gilliam moves to his more natural LT position, and Glowinski finally makes the move to Left Guard in a competition with Sokoli. Either way, drafting the OT position should be a priority. They are much deeper at guard than they are at OT or C because of the last draft class.

The issue with Okung is his injury Hx. As he ages I don't see him getting healthier. I'd do what the poster above suggests. Maybe consider a trade of Graham for a LT ?

kearly

Reaction score
What struck me watching Glowinsky was how much smaller he looks in the NFL compared to his college videos. Oddly enough, in a real NFL game he kind of reminded me of Drew Nowak.

I like Glow and thought he played above expectation for a first start. But I am pretty far away from thinking that his play is good enough to make a unique talent like Sweezy expendable.

At this point I would be a little surprised if either one of Sweezy or Okung leave in FA. Sweezy is Cable's favorite, Okung is very hard to replace, and neither one will likely command a king's ransom in UFA.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is no reason to think Glow is better than Sweezy.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1zkfvr3i said:
What struck me watching Glowinsky was how much smaller he looks in the NFL compared to his college videos. Oddly enough, in a real NFL game he kind of reminded me of Drew Nowak.

I like Glow and thought he played above expectation for a first start. But I am pretty far away from thinking that his play is good enough to make a unique talent like Sweezy expendable.

At this point I would be a little surprised if either one of Sweezy or Okung leave in FA. Sweezy is Cable's favorite, Okung is very hard to replace, and neither one will likely command a king's ransom in UFA.

He weighs about 10 lbs more than Sweezy did as a rookie. He has a good frame and prototypical guard size (6'4, 315ish), so there is no reason to think he is too small for the NFL.

There are a couple problems with re-signing BOTH Sweezy and Okung. First, it would require devoting about half of our available cap space in 2016 ($15+ million) to two pretty inconsistent linemen. Second, it means we are not opening up starting opportunities for the young pups who were drafted this year.

The team made a commitment to developing young OL talent in the hopes of improving the inconsistent blocking we have witnessed over the last three seasons. These young linemen are chomping at the bit, so it might not make sense to commit to paying two relatively expensive veterans when they can get potentially more consistent play from their draftees.

It could happen that both are re-signed, but it would be a little surprising if it did.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Wouldn't worry if both Okung and Sweezy were gone next year.
R.O. has a trending injury history that doesn't merit a big extension, and Sweezy's "upside" is likely limited.

The offensive line is gonna be addressed no matter how this season ends, including winning a Lombardi.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'd be much happier if we kept both and continued to develop their replacements on cheap rookie deals so that we don't end up trying to fill the line with reject free agents or guys on "prove it" deals.

- bsd

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that if Sweezy tests free agency, someone is going to overpay for him, relative to what the Hawks can afford. Same goes for Okung. See: Carpenter, Giacomini.

In some ways, I am preparing myself for us to have holes in our line just like this year began.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Losing sweezy isn't good. Even if Glow takes over and plays well. Screws our depth that took all year to develop.