Mark Glowinski GREAT job at RG spot!

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Scottemojo":son4gob4 said:
I am of the opinion that if Sweezy tests free agency, someone is going to overpay for him, relative to what the Hawks can afford. Same goes for Okung. See: Carpenter, Giacomini.

In some ways, I am preparing myself for us to have holes in our line just like this year began.
I really hope we only have to replace one of them.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":36kxyupt said:
I am of the opinion that if Sweezy tests free agency, someone is going to overpay for him, relative to what the Hawks can afford. Same goes for Okung. See: Carpenter, Giacomini.

Giacomini signed a very affordable deal, and IMO Seattle made a mistake letting him walk.

But yeah, Carp was overpaid. Or so we thought.

Funny that they were both signed by the same team. And that team now has a pretty damn good OL.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":fte6o2i1 said:
kearly":fte6o2i1 said:
What struck me watching Glowinsky was how much smaller he looks in the NFL compared to his college videos. Oddly enough, in a real NFL game he kind of reminded me of Drew Nowak.

I like Glow and thought he played above expectation for a first start. But I am pretty far away from thinking that his play is good enough to make a unique talent like Sweezy expendable.

At this point I would be a little surprised if either one of Sweezy or Okung leave in FA. Sweezy is Cable's favorite, Okung is very hard to replace, and neither one will likely command a king's ransom in UFA.

He weighs about 10 lbs more than Sweezy did as a rookie. He has a good frame and prototypical guard size (6'4, 315ish), so there is no reason to think he is too small for the NFL.

There are a couple problems with re-signing BOTH Sweezy and Okung. First, it would require devoting about half of our available cap space in 2016 ($15+ million) to two pretty inconsistent linemen. Second, it means we are not opening up starting opportunities for the young pups who were drafted this year.

The team made a commitment to developing young OL talent in the hopes of improving the inconsistent blocking we have witnessed over the last three seasons. These young linemen are chomping at the bit, so it might not make sense to commit to paying two relatively expensive veterans when they can get potentially more consistent play from their draftees.

It could happen that both are re-signed, but it would be a little surprising if it did.

I'm honestly just fine with whatever Seattle does at OL. Really the only decision they ever made at OL that I hated was them letting Giacomini walk for only $7 mil guaranteed after a season in which Breno was arguably our best lineman. I don't always trust Cable's word, but I trust JS as a decision-maker for the most part.

That said, continuity matters on the OL. I think if a fair deal is there to be had, Seattle should attempt to keep as many of their OL around as possible so that the group isn't learning how to gel with 2 new additions every season. Assuming of course, those players deserve a 2nd contract. I would understand why some people might think Okung and Sweezy aren't good enough to be worth investing in long term.

With regards to Glow, I never said anything about him being too small for the NFL. It's just that when I watched his college videos, he looked remarkably broad from shoulder to shoulder, and in a real NFL game he looked relatively slight. That said I see a very natural player in him. I've always liked Glowinsky and continue to be a fan. But is he on the same level as Sweezy RIGHT NOW? I don't think so. I wish Sweezy still had a year left on his deal, it would make the decision to move on or invest a lot easier.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":99bmwnbo said:
hawknation2015":99bmwnbo said:
kearly":99bmwnbo said:
What struck me watching Glowinsky was how much smaller he looks in the NFL compared to his college videos. Oddly enough, in a real NFL game he kind of reminded me of Drew Nowak.

I like Glow and thought he played above expectation for a first start. But I am pretty far away from thinking that his play is good enough to make a unique talent like Sweezy expendable.

At this point I would be a little surprised if either one of Sweezy or Okung leave in FA. Sweezy is Cable's favorite, Okung is very hard to replace, and neither one will likely command a king's ransom in UFA.

He weighs about 10 lbs more than Sweezy did as a rookie. He has a good frame and prototypical guard size (6'4, 315ish), so there is no reason to think he is too small for the NFL.

There are a couple problems with re-signing BOTH Sweezy and Okung. First, it would require devoting about half of our available cap space in 2016 ($15+ million) to two pretty inconsistent linemen. Second, it means we are not opening up starting opportunities for the young pups who were drafted this year.

The team made a commitment to developing young OL talent in the hopes of improving the inconsistent blocking we have witnessed over the last three seasons. These young linemen are chomping at the bit, so it might not make sense to commit to paying two relatively expensive veterans when they can get potentially more consistent play from their draftees.

It could happen that both are re-signed, but it would be a little surprising if it did.

I'm honestly just fine with whatever Seattle does at OL. Really the only decision they ever made at OL that I hated was them letting Giacomini walk for only $7 mil guaranteed after a season in which Breno was arguably our best lineman. I don't always trust Cable's word, but I trust JS as a decision-maker for the most part.

That said, continuity matters on the OL. I think if a fair deal is there to be had, Seattle should attempt to keep as many of their OL around as possible so that the group isn't learning how to gel with 2 new additions every season. Assuming of course, those players deserve a 2nd contract. I would understand why some people might think Okung and Sweezy aren't good enough to be worth investing in long term.

With regards to Glow, I never said anything about him being too small for the NFL. It's just that when I watched his college videos, he looked remarkably broad from shoulder to shoulder, and in a real NFL game he looked relatively slight. That said I see a very natural player in him. I've always liked Glowinsky and continue to be a fan.

Breno Giacomini has been the Jets' least successful offensive linemen, struggling in both the run and pass game.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1zmckqdh said:
Breno Giacomini has been the Jets' least successful offensive linemen.

He was a good player for Seattle in 2013 (and fairly good in 2014 for the Jets as well). His replacement, Britt, was horrible in 2014. And Gilliam has been pretty bad this year, although he's improved in recent weeks. Breno's deal was basically for 2 years / $7 million with an easy out after two seasons. That's a very good price for an average or better RT.

Also, I don't take PFF grades very seriously, though I would agree that Breno has not played that well in 2015.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1yjbvd6p said:
hawknation2015":1yjbvd6p said:
Breno Giacomini has been the Jets' least successful offensive linemen.

He was a good player for Seattle in 2013 (and fairly good in 2014 for the Jets as well). His replacement, Britt, was horrible in 2014. And Gilliam has been pretty bad this year, although he's improved in recent weeks. Breno's deal was basically for 2 years / $7 million with an easy out after two seasons. That's a very good price for an average or better RT.

Also, I don't take PFF grades very seriously, though I would agree that Breno has not played that well in 2015.

Breno wasn't that good in 2013, and I agreed with the decision not to spend those kind of resources on him.

If the offensive line is ever to become consistently good, they are not going to achieve that by dolling out money to FAs who have a track record of inconsistency. It's going to have to be achieved through the draft.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think Okung is looking for a big pay day and the number of decent LT available are few and far between in FE next season.

It's too bad that Bailey went from promising when filling in for Okung to below average. That's a head scratcher

McGruff

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2w6oecv3 said:
I think Okung is looking for a big pay day and the number of decent LT available are few and far between in FE next season.

It's too bad that Bailey went from promising when filling in for Okung to below average. That's a head scratcher

Actually, it was more of a belly-itcher is you know what I mean.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that as long as PC is our head coach we will be a run first team. Glowinski can't run block. I'm not saying he won't get better but for the time being he is a terrible run blocker.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":3q0515g3 said:
The fact of the matter is that as long as PC is our head coach we will be a run first team. Glowinski can't run block. I'm not saying he won't get better but for the time being he is a terrible run blocker.

If Glowinski "can't run block" as a rookie, then I'm not sure what Alvin Bailey is doing out there. :roll:

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
danp1990":4c5c6nu5 said:
Stellar play by from our boy! way to show them how you play the zone blocking scheme, a true mauler....https://streamable.com/lplj
Too bad Gilliam couldn't get off the double team. Mike could have kept it inside and possibly cut back for a long run. But I'll take it.

hawknation2015":4c5c6nu5 said:
Check out this pancake by Glowinski:
SaltyHomelyGalapagosmockingbird.gif

That's not really a pancake you're proud of. One-it's in the backfield after you got beat (though to be fair, I think he was expecting help from Lewis) and two-I think the d-lineman trips over Britt's leg who's getting blown up. Hard to tell from that angle.

edit: Correction on point 1, the d-lineman starts outside and slants hard inside in a gap exchange with the mlb. So he shouldn't have been expecting help.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":18afx2wz said:
danp1990":18afx2wz said:
Stellar play by from our boy! way to show them how you play the zone blocking scheme, a true mauler....https://streamable.com/lplj
Too bad Gilliam couldn't get off the double team. Mike could have kept it inside and possibly cut back for a long run. But I'll take it.

hawknation2015":18afx2wz said:

That's not really a pancake you're proud of. One-it's in the backfield after you got beat (though to be fair, I think he was expecting help from Lewis) and two-I think the d-lineman trips over Britt's leg who's getting blown up. Hard to tell from that angle.

edit: Correction on point 1, the d-lineman starts outside and slants hard inside in a gap exchange with the mlb. So he shouldn't have been expecting help.

He's using the DT's forward momentum to carry him outside of the play and then finishes off the block by knocking him to the ground. That's a PANCAKE.

Gilliam was trying (but failed) to cut block . . . there was no "double team" to get off of here.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Are we in danger of "overpaying" to re-sign our vet OL or is it that we've been undervaluing them this entire time? Obviously, other teams are willing to put more capital into it. So, if that's the league standard, how is it "overpaying"? The market sets the value. If every team says a solid LT or a mauling OG is worth a ton of money, then that's what they're worth.

You ask the Jets and their fans, and they would tell you now that James Carpenter's deal was a steal. Some going as far as to say he may be the best player on a really good offensive line.

We can keep letting solid players go, replace them with question marks, and watch our OL unit flop around for 6-8 games every year. Or maybe we can put some money into this thing and allow some of them to blossom through a second or third contract.

For the record, I am in favor of re-signing Okung. Sweezy, I can take or leave.

Edit: Granted, Jets run more of a man/power scheme that is further in Carp's wheelhouse.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
hawknation2015":27ibuu5q said:
Dizzlepdx":27ibuu5q said:
danp1990":27ibuu5q said:

hawknation2015":27ibuu5q said:

He's using the DT's forward momentum to carry him outside of the play and then finishes off the block by knocking him to the ground. That's a PANCAKE.

Gilliam was trying (but failed) to cut block . . . there was no "double team" to get off of here.

The Gilliam comment was related to the first quote. Not your comment. But while we're on it, that's not a cut block attempt in your clip. That's Gilliam falling on his damn face after getting juked.

In regards to the 'pancake'...no. That's not how that play is supposed to go. Did he make the best of a bad situation? Sure. But I guarantee you he didn't try to do that from the beginning. That's just not the technique used on inside zone runs.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":12lazt8z said:
hawknation2015":12lazt8z said:
Dizzlepdx":12lazt8z said:
danp1990":12lazt8z said:

hawknation2015":12lazt8z said:

The Gilliam comment was related to the first quote. Not your comment. But while we're on it, that's not a cut block attempt in your clip. That's Gilliam falling on his damn face after getting juked.

In regards to the 'pancake'...no. That's not how that play is supposed to go. Did he make the best of a bad situation? Sure. But I guarantee you he didn't try to do that from the beginning. That's just not the technique used on inside zone runs.

Nah, you're dead wrong on both counts. Gilliam was absolutely attempting to cut block there and missed. Look at the way he goes low. I'm 100% confident that play called for Gilliam to cut block. Glowinski's technique was great on this play. He perfectly executed a lead step at a 45 degree angle in order to get in front of the defender, who was shaded towards the playside. The defender goes backside, so Glowinski hits him in the chest and uses his forward momentum to carry him outside the play and then drives him into the turf.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":i2tatcpq said:
...Glowinski got absolutely blown up by Red Bryant. In a hilarious, welcome to the NFL way. Seriously, Bryant hit him so hard he went back two yards.

Mike Iupati got absolutely blowd up by Red Bryant...

Red bryant mike iupati

So I won't hold it against him. At least Glow stayed on his feet.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bigDhawk":2ziitdhf said:
Scottemojo":2ziitdhf said:
...Glowinski got absolutely blown up by Red Bryant. In a hilarious, welcome to the NFL way. Seriously, Bryant hit him so hard he went back two yards.

Red bryant mike iupati

Plus, it's a pretty big exaggeration to say that Glowinski was blown back two yards. The defensive line's responsibility on this goal line play is to go low, take down the offensive linemen, and make a pile up the middle. The offensive line knew Russell was rolling out of the pocket, so all they had to do was maintain inside leverage. If everyone ends up on the turf, then the OL wins. The defensive line does their job and knocks down Lewis, Glowinski, and Gilliam like bowling pins. Russell rolls outside the pocket as expected.

GiftedBossyCur.gif

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2edm7jgq said:
Dizzlepdx":2edm7jgq said:
hawknation2015":2edm7jgq said:

Nah, you're dead wrong on both counts. Gilliam was absolutely attempting to cut block there and missed. Look at the way he goes low. I'm 100% confident that play called for Gilliam to cut block. Glowinski's technique was great on this play. He perfectly executed a lead step at a 45 degree angle in order to get in front of the defender, who was shaded towards the playside. The defender goes backside, so Glowinski hits him in the chest and uses his forward momentum to carry him outside the play and then drives him into the turf.

You have to be trolling at this point. If you actually think that...this is not my opinion, this is fact...you're wrong.

Edit: I should have added that, if you do actually think you're right and you or anyone else wants to learn why you're wrong, I can explain it in detail.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":105e644e said:
hawknation2015":105e644e said:
Dizzlepdx":105e644e said:
hawknation2015":105e644e said:

You have to be trolling at this point. If you actually think that...this is not my opinion, this is fact...you're wrong.

Edit: I should have added that, if you do actually think you're right and you or anyone else wants to learn why you're wrong, I can explain it in detail.

Yup. Gilliam lunges high and the defender sidesteps. He only ends up low cause he falls . While the Glow did fine, I don't consider hitting a defender as he rushes past him a pancake. More so when a blocker blows up a defender at the point of attack and knocks him backward onto the ground.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ifnwu5u9 said:
bigDhawk":ifnwu5u9 said:
Scottemojo":ifnwu5u9 said:

Red bryant mike iupati

Plus, it's a pretty big exaggeration to say that Glowinski was blown back two yards. The defensive line's responsibility on this goal line play is to go low, take down the offensive linemen, and make a pile up the middle. The offensive line knew Russell was rolling out of the pocket, so all they had to do was maintain inside leverage. If everyone ends up on the turf, then the OL wins. The defensive line does their job and knocks down Lewis, Glowinski, and Gilliam like bowling pins. Russell rolls outside the pocket as expected.

GiftedBossyCur.gif
Starts at 2, gets off ground more than 2 yards back.

I can count. Bryant hit him hard, he went backwards. starts at 2, ends up near the 5. I am fully aware of the play design. I was talking about mass moving lesser mass. Glows job was not to go backwards almost 3 yards.

Exaggeration? get the hell outta here.