Marshawn Lynch is one of the best RBs in postseason history

kearly

Reaction score
Among all active NFL RBs, Marshawn Lynch is #1 in career postseason rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. Interestingly, the #2 active RB for postseason rushing TD's is LeGarrette Blount, who amazingly is the same age as Lynch.

Lynch currently ranks 13th all time with 815 career rushing yards in the postseason. He needs only 38 yards rushing in the Super Bowl to break into the top 10, and he needs only 77 rushing yards to get as high as #8 all time. If he gets to #8, there would only be one RB ahead of him on the list that isn't in the Hall of Fame (Terrell Davis). Lynch needs 772 more rushing yards to claim #1 all time.

Lynch is tied for 10th all time with 8 rushing touchdowns in the postseason. If he scores two more, it would be good enough for sole possession of #7. Lynch needs 11 more rushing touchdowns to claim #1 all time.

themunn

Reaction score
I think the amazing thing about his postseason rushing is his remarkable consistency at gaining yards. His highest rushing total in the postseason is his game against GB last week. In fact, that's the only game that cracks the top 50 rushing performances all time in postseason history.

Most of the guys above him are there through high volume (Emmitt Smith 17 games, Franco Harris 19 games, Thurmond Thomas 21 games, Tony Dorsett 17 games, Marcus Allen 16 games, Roger Craig 18 games, Earnet Byner 14 games). Lynch's total is just 9 games (same as Riggins, whose total came by virtue of high volume carries - he had 136 in one single postseason in 83, compared to Lynchs 163 TOTAL).

Literally the only thing that will stop Lynch making the Hall of Fame is if he decides he doesn't want to play any more, because I can't see him slowing down any time soon, if he were to play 3 more seasons at 1000-1200 yards, play another 4-5 postseason games minimum and retire at 31 he'd have to be an absolute shoe in for the Hall

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he has the most TD runs over 25 yards in postseason history as well. It's only like 4, but they mentioned it in the playoffs last year and I remember being floored that no one had more.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have a feeling he's going to beat up on the Patriots defense. Look at what Justin Forsett did to them.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":b851j3t2 said:
Among all active NFL RBs, Marshawn Lynch is #1 in career postseason rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. Interestingly, the #2 active RB for postseason rushing TD's is LeGarrette Blount, who amazingly is the same age as Lynch.

Lynch currently ranks 13th all time with 815 career rushing yards in the postseason. He needs only 38 yards rushing in the Super Bowl to break into the top 10, and he needs only 77 rushing yards to get as high as #8 all time. If he gets to #8, there would only be one RB ahead of him on the list that isn't in the Hall of Fame (Terrell Davis). Lynch needs 772 more rushing yards to claim #1 all time.

Lynch is tied for 10th all time with 8 rushing touchdowns in the postseason. If he scores two more, it would be good enough for sole possession of #7. Lynch needs 11 more rushing touchdowns to claim #1 all time.

Good info. When he gets over 77 yards, and if TD gets the nod for the HOF (which I believe they announce Saturday) he could be the back with the most yards not in the HOF.

Makes me want to see him stay even longer. I think he could do it in 3 more seasons (get to #1)

olyfan63

Reaction score
How is TD not in the HOF already?!! The man was awesome.

ivotuk

Reaction score
olyfan63":elyxt7gw said:

I think most voters believe he benefitted from the zone blocking scheme and John Elway casts a big shadow.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":3jnc1fzv said:
olyfan63":3jnc1fzv said:

I think most voters believe he benefitted from the zone blocking scheme and John Elway casts a big shadow.

He didn't play long enough and have high enough yardage totals. He had insane yardage averages when he played.

If I'm reading OP right, Marshawn has 800 + yards and needs 772 to be first all time. It's insane to think someone had 1500 yards rushing and that many TD's in the post season.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
kearly":2p3ymmp7 said:

I grew up in Denver and watched Terrell Davis at Mile High. He was my favorite RB, just an amazing runner. Lynch is the best runner in the league since Davis. They both belong in the HOF. Seattle is so lucky to witness a generational runner like Marshawn.

NINEster

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":17txfsgo said:
kearly":17txfsgo said:

I grew up in Denver and watched Terrell Davis at Mile High. He was my favorite RB, just an amazing runner. Lynch is the best runner in the league since Davis. They both belong in the HOF. Seattle is so lucky to witness a generational runner like Marshawn.

LaDainlian Tomlinson and Frank Gore in their primes might have a say in best runner since Davis.

And of course there's this Adrian Peterson guy.

themunn

Reaction score
NINEster":1fi1uekj said:
Armchair Bronco":1fi1uekj said:
kearly":1fi1uekj said:

LaDainlian Tomlinson and Frank Gore in their primes might have a say in best runner since Davis.

And of course there's this Adrian Peterson guy.

Hahahaha Frank Gore

evergreen

Reaction score
Lynch is all about YAC. I see the shadow of Earl Campbell when he runs...

sc85sis

Reaction score
Earl and a little bit of Sweetness in that he loves to hit the other guys. Walter loved punishing defensive players.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sc85sis":1891f230 said:
Earl and a little bit of Sweetness in that he loves to hit the other guys. Walter loved punishing defensive players.
Definity! I suppose one could say Cambell was punishing because he was such a load, but he didn't seek contact the way Lynch and Payton do/did.

Latest posts