Matty Brown critical of Russ

LymonHawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":2iv77kr3 said:
From Linkedin

"Matty Brown is an Emmy-nominated filmmaker based in Seattle, Washington. He travels the world making various creative projects: documentaries, music videos, commercials, museum installations, art films and travel/tourism productions, and is now writing, directing, and producing short films."

Lots of football cred here. About as much as any of us.

Wrong Matty Brown.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
DIon Sanders knows the game... does that make his opinion more valuable? Maybe! It appears San Fran game planned well for the Hawks. Does that make Russell any less of a QB? If you dig that deep into any QB you will find just as many flaws.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":nk0ey51g said:
TreeRon":nk0ey51g said:
From Linkedin

"Matty Brown is an Emmy-nominated filmmaker based in Seattle, Washington. He travels the world making various creative projects: documentaries, music videos, commercials, museum installations, art films and travel/tourism productions, and is now writing, directing, and producing short films."

His football vocabulary is about four notches higher than anyone in here, that's for sure. Unless you like to discuss in great length about clamps, Tampa 2's, and low-high reads, and I just missed it. (Which hell, maybe I did.)

Not true....My football vocabulary *mod edit* all.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2pwdwlf9 said:
TreeRon":2pwdwlf9 said:
From Linkedin

Wrong Matty Brown.

I found the right one on linkedin.....

"Matty Brown lives in his moms basement based in Seattle, Washington. Has written various football related articles while wearing his favorite pair of Cheetos stained pajamas. Tical21 is his #1 fan."

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":37tx7mbd said:
LymonHawk":37tx7mbd said:
TreeRon":37tx7mbd said:
From Linkedin

Wrong Matty Brown.

"Matty Brown lives in his moms basement based in Seattle, Washington. Has written various football related articles while wearing his favorite pair of Cheetos stained pajamas. Tical21 is his ONLY fan."

FIFY

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tical21":2xn54mea said:
You guys have all pointed towards his articles when they reflect highly on WIlson or others. Now you never heard of him. Typical. IMO the premier Seahawks X's and O's voice, but it's cool.

He's a .NET alum who writes for FG and ITP, among others.

The premier x's and o's guy for the Seahawks? Are you trolling or are you actually serious here? Come on man this is getting ridiculous. You're bordering on Sioux level at the moment. I like Matty but a critique of one bad week is what you use to prove that Russ sucks? Weird though..... why haven't you posted the stuff he's done showing Wilson is incredible? I'm not sure why I even responded but its early and I don't feel like starting work yet.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2k6n6tks said:
Wilson is a top five quarterback who, like any passer, has his flaws.

If an informed writer can not write this opinion without getting repeatedly trashed, this is simply not a place in which football can be meaningfully discussed. Sorry.

As for if Brown is informed or not, I think he's too informed, or too into showing how informed he is, which actually isn't that useful.

Just by way of example, if you don't know what "sugaring" the A gaps is, you don't know what he's talking about, and I'd definitely guess that most football fans don't know what that is. It's not complicated, it's putting your LBs on the line of scrimmage on either side of the center to create confusion (will they both be blitzing? Will they both drop out back into coverage? Will one blitz and one drop back into coverage, and if so, which one?), but if you don't know that football lingo -- which isn't even really essential to following the play -- the fast and furious football lingo that follows it is also impenetrable.

The only thing I'd substantively disagree with him about in this piece is in the first Triple Stud example.

He's right in that Wilson missed his read, but I don't really buy that it's part of the 49ers philosophy to not pattern match on triple stud correctly and play it more "loosely."

What's MUCH MORE LIKELY on that play I think is that Schotty guessed the 49ers would run triple stud on 3rd down with that formation, called up a play designed to have a chance to beat it (that's Baldwin as the first read), but then a rookie blew his assignment in a way that happened to be really lucky, and Wilson messed up on his progressions (which is a weakness of his -- it's a weakness of Aaron Rodgers too, calm down).

Either that or Saleh knew on this play for this defense that the Seahawks have the check down as second in their progressions, so Reed was coached to cheat and bracket Baldwin for this one. That strikes me as a little less likely though.

Do you think that opinion is why hes getting trashed? Or did you skip the posts and just assume you knew the reactions and hurriedly jumped in to set us straight?

Your post has solid football points. As did his article. Its introduction is condescending twaddle, as was the OPs.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Read it and then you go on to prove my point so you're post is confusing. Russ is a top 5 QB hence asking why he leaves that out and then I question why he used one game to prove a point. So can you explain the "worth reading before responding?" Weird.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
austinslater25":x4u1j1lj said:
Tical21":x4u1j1lj said:
You guys have all pointed towards his articles when they reflect highly on WIlson or others. Now you never heard of him. Typical. IMO the premier Seahawks X's and O's voice, but it's cool.

The premier x's and o's guy for the Seahawks? Are you trolling or are you actually serious here? Come on man this is getting ridiculous. You're bordering on Sioux level at the moment. So where do you put Russ? 15th? 20th? I'm not sure why I even responded but its early and I don't feel like starting work yet.
I'm seeing a lot of criticism and hate directed towards TICAL and this author, yet not one person has tried to actually refute the claims made with anything other than "this is BS".

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":y2dj3fgi said:
austinslater25":y2dj3fgi said:
Tical21":y2dj3fgi said:

The premier x's and o's guy for the Seahawks? Are you trolling or are you actually serious here? Come on man this is getting ridiculous. You're bordering on Sioux level at the moment. So where do you put Russ? 15th? 20th? I'm not sure why I even responded but its early and I don't feel like starting work yet.
I'm seeing a lot of criticism and hate directed towards TICAL and this author, yet not one person has tried to actually refute the claims made with anything other than "this is BS".

The article is a good breakdown of the game. People are responding to the overarching inference in the thread title and OP.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":100t7azv said:
austinslater25":100t7azv said:
Tical21":100t7azv said:

Because Russ had a bad game so what is there to dispute? Heck I even said Matt does a good job. It's the constant Russ sucks, the hypocritical nature of the post and trying to use one game to prove a terrible point.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
It's a decent article, however it doesn't address the fact that 23 points should be enough to beat the 49ers. Russ was productive. I don't think he was fooled at all. I think practicing and playing home games on turf, then playing on a wet crappy field changes the footwork game. Luckily the Hawks brought multiple pairs of cleats, but in my opinion this loss is on kickoff coverage team. The defense only gave up one TD while winning the turnover margin, offense put points on the board. Special teams gave up a TD on a crappy field in poor conditions. Trying to claim this game was close, or lost because of Saleh's masterful coverages is a joke.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/18/ ... s-stadium/

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":26e0gafe said:
LymonHawk":26e0gafe said:
TreeRon":26e0gafe said:
From Linkedin

Wrong Matty Brown.

"Matty Brown lives in his moms basement based in Seattle, Washington. Has written various football related articles while wearing his favorite pair of Cheetos stained pajamas. Tical21 is his alter ego."

FTFY

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":1xqpgqw3 said:
Spin Doctor":1xqpgqw3 said:
austinslater25":1xqpgqw3 said:
Tical21":1xqpgqw3 said:

Because Russ had a bad game so what is there to dispute? Heck I even said Matt does a good job. It's the constant Russ sucks, the hypocritical nature of the post and trying to use one game to prove a terrible point.

Or more like the constant Russ sucks after a loss or sub par outing, then the other 70% of the time we hear nothing because Russ is killing it. That is why I did not need to read the article, I knew from the OP what it said.

Sac

Reaction score
Tical21":2tnyutbk said:

Throwdown?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3cl8zl1r said:
Sports Hernia":3cl8zl1r said:
Never heard of him.

.....and there is a reason for that.
Tical has to look real hard to find those that support his view. I wont bother to click the link myself. :2thumbs:

You should, it's a good read for anyone interested in the nitty gritty of X's and O's.

It's not critical of Russ, it's just a breakdown of how good the Niners defensive gameplan was coming in...........change things up, confuse Russ with disguising coverages and make him hesitate.

Of which he did in that game, often.

But no different than every good team week to week, just like we did against Cousins and the Vikings with the old Bandit defense schemes.