Matty Brown critical of Russ

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ctue24bk said:
Seymour":ctue24bk said:
Sports Hernia":ctue24bk said:
Never heard of him.

.....and there is a reason for that.
Tical has to look real hard to find those that support his view. I wont bother to click the link myself. :2thumbs:

You should, it's a good read for anyone interested in the nitty gritty of X's and O's.

It's not critical of Russ, it's just a breakdown of how good the Niners defensive gameplan was coming in...........change things up, confuse Russ with disguising coverages and make him hesitate.

Of which he did in that game, often.

But no different than every good team week to week, just like we did against Cousins and the Vikings with the old Bandit defense schemes.

Wilson's stat line from Sunday vs Whiners....

23/31 74% 237 yds 2 TD 0 picks 117.3 RTG (in pouring down rain)

Why would I want to nitpick an outing like that?

Sure he left some plays on the field....just like every human QB in the NFL, I don't need a recap on that. :177692:

I'll pass on drumming up Wilson hate on this one, others are better at that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2pwcvibx said:
Sgt. Largent":2pwcvibx said:
Seymour":2pwcvibx said:
Sports Hernia":2pwcvibx said:
Never heard of him.

Tical has to look real hard to find those that support his view. I wont bother to click the link myself. :2thumbs:

You should, it's a good read for anyone interested in the nitty gritty of X's and O's.

It's not critical of Russ, it's just a breakdown of how good the Niners defensive gameplan was coming in...........change things up, confuse Russ with disguising coverages and make him hesitate.

But no different than every good team week to week, just like we did against Cousins and the Vikings with the old Bandit defense schemes.

23/31 74% 237 yds 2 TD 0 picks 117.3 RTG

Sure he left some plays on the field....just like every human QB in the NFL, I don't need a recap on that. :177692:

Again, it's not nitpicking, or even an overly critical article of Russell, it's a breakdown of how the Niners defended him successfully.

Not sure why we always have to turn every one of these things into fake outrage forum bulletin board material so we can sound the butthurt Seahawk alarm and alert the angry mob to grab our torches and pitchforks because someone dared say or write something remotely critical of our team.

Dude broke down a game. End of story.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1y6ek74q said:
Seymour":1y6ek74q said:
Sgt. Largent":1y6ek74q said:
Seymour":1y6ek74q said:

23/31 74% 237 yds 2 TD 0 picks 117.3 RTG

Again, it's not nitpicking, or even an overly critical article of Russell, it's a breakdown of how the Niners defended him successfully.

Not sure why we always have to turn every one of these things into fake outrage forum bulletin board material so we can sound the butthurt Seahawk alarm and alert the angry mob to grab our torches and pitchforks because someone dared say or write something remotely critical of our team.

Dude broke down a game. End of story.

I'm not turning it into anything. I admitted I didn't read it, and know the goal of the OP to prove his view. Maybe not on this one, but nonetheless I have zero interest in this guys opinion.....period.

Go read that first post (and thread title) again.

cdallan

Reaction score
austinslater25":2zzp66xh said:
Tical21":2zzp66xh said:
You guys have all pointed towards his articles when they reflect highly on WIlson or others. Now you never heard of him. Typical. IMO the premier Seahawks X's and O's voice, but it's cool.

He's a .NET alum who writes for FG and ITP, among others.

The premier x's and o's guy for the Seahawks? Are you trolling or are you actually serious here? Come on man this is getting ridiculous. You're bordering on Sioux level at the moment. I like Matty but a critique of one bad week is what you use to prove that Russ sucks? Weird though..... why haven't you posted the stuff he's done showing Wilson is incredible? I'm not sure why I even responded but its early and I don't feel like starting work yet.

Just out of interest, if not Matty then WhTbwouod you consider the most informed Xs and Os analyst on the Hawks at the moment? There are a few writers, but they pretty much all look at stats rather than film, and when they post pictures from the games a lot of them really embarrass themselves with their lack of knowledge. I read most of them (apart from then one who blocked me on Twitter for disagreeing with him), and if there is anyone else good out there I would always make time to read them.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":1vxnlly0 said:
That was a horrible read. The guy needs to learn how to write and cut out all the uneccessary fluff. It would be alright if it made sense, but it doesn't

Agreed. He should stick to copying and pasting the entire front page of ESPN 710 every morning instead. That’s how you display football prowess.

”Once a member of Pete Carroll’s training school, the former padawan caused “I HATE YOU” Anakin Skywalker pain to his old Jedi master."

Like chocolate’s impact on a greasy adolescent’s skin; it was spotty.

It was clearly apparent that this is what Wilson wanted to face heading into the second match-up.

It was? How was "what Wilson wanted" apparent to anyone besides Ciara?

His style reminds me of IT people that like to spout acronyms in order to sound smart. (I know, I'm IT).

Kathy? Clamp-ish? Clamp-Read? That only confuses the article. Utter trash.

Or.. maybe he’s trying to lighten up the piece because the vast majority of football fans don’t understand football vocabulary? Because he’s *gasp* somewhat (but not really) critical of our lord and savior Russell Wilson though.. heaven forbid.. that doesn’t mean the article is trash.

I’ve long suspected, after much tape grinding and “my wife left me” moments, that both Seattle and the 49ers don’t have the exact same rules as Nick Saban when it comes to the style of pass defense.

He should have been "grinding" his wife.

A writer can't talk about different teams and coaches rules unless he explains what they are. He's apparently knowledgeable about some rules that he doesn't bother to explain, because he's making it up. This way he can't be pinned down.

Well at least you’re not falling in line with your other IT brethren here because what he’s saying is both teams didn’t play pass defense on Sunday. :lol:

Indeed, the bigger issue for the Seattle Seahawks last Sunday was the defense

What defense? The one that they scored 3 touchdowns on? Our defense only gave up 1 touchdown. So what's he talking about? :34853_doh:

I’m going to take a wild guess here and say it was probably the defense that lost the game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2ek6keyh said:
MontanaHawk05":2ek6keyh said:
TreeRon":2ek6keyh said:
From Linkedin

"Matty Brown is an Emmy-nominated filmmaker based in Seattle, Washington. He travels the world making various creative projects: documentaries, music videos, commercials, museum installations, art films and travel/tourism productions, and is now writing, directing, and producing short films."

Lots of football cred here. About as much as any of us.

His football vocabulary is about four notches higher than anyone in here, that's for sure. Unless you like to discuss in great length about clamps, Tampa 2's, and low-high reads, and I just missed it. (Which hell, maybe I did.)

Not true....My football vocabulary *mod edit* all.

Especially the glowing adjectives about Eddie Lacy

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Tical21":1r067xnu said:
Interesting read from a real X's and 0's guy. I know you don't like to hear it from me, but....

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/12/...rt-saleh-week-15-defense-film-breakdown-49ers

Legit criticism coming from a guy who gets it.

Wilson's having a great year under Schotty, but he still has some serious QB deficiencies that crop up from time to time, particularly against a defense that knows them well.

He misses wide open opportunities far more often than he should. This guy called it a "brain fart" (I've used that term as well) while others indicate it could be inability to see over the line. (Another very real possibility)

I think it's likely a combination of both and the "fear" factor Russ has to deal with after years of O-Line induced trauma that had him scrambling for his life play after play, game after game.

The upside is Wilson has come a long ways just this season. I really think the more time he gets to spend playing with Schotty the better he'll get and improve his chances at a long and successful career as he now moves into his 30's.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
cdallan":brufejee said:
austinslater25":brufejee said:
Tical21":brufejee said:
You guys have all pointed towards his articles when they reflect highly on WIlson or others. Now you never heard of him. Typical. IMO the premier Seahawks X's and O's voice, but it's cool.

The premier x's and o's guy for the Seahawks? Are you trolling or are you actually serious here? Come on man this is getting ridiculous. You're bordering on Sioux level at the moment. I like Matty but a critique of one bad week is what you use to prove that Russ sucks? Weird though..... why haven't you posted the stuff he's done showing Wilson is incredible? I'm not sure why I even responded but its early and I don't feel like starting work yet.

Just out of interest, if not Matty then WhTbwouod you consider the most informed Xs and Os analyst on the Hawks at the moment? There are a few writers, but they pretty much all look at stats rather than film, and when they post pictures from the games a lot of them really embarrass themselves with their lack of knowledge. I read most of them (apart from then one who blocked me on Twitter for disagreeing with him), and if there is anyone else good out there I would always make time to read them.
Sam Gold is pretty solid too. Or you could always just watch Brock Huard consistently misread coverages, which is just too odd of a phenomena for me to get my head around.

Matty and Gold are awesome on twitter. Also, some guy names cmikesspinmove has really caught my eye lately. Any "hardcore" Hawk fan really should be following those folks and reading Matty's articles.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-on- ... lysis-film

Fantastic stuff.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
semiahmoo":v3ctqduu said:
Tical21":v3ctqduu said:
Interesting read from a real X's and 0's guy. I know you don't like to hear it from me, but....

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/12/...rt-saleh-week-15-defense-film-breakdown-49ers

Legit criticism coming from a guy who gets it.

Wilson's having a great year under Schotty, but he still has some serious QB deficiencies that crop up from time to time, particularly against a defense that knows them well.

He misses wide open opportunities far more often than he should. This guy called it a "brain fart" (I've used that term as well) while others indicate it could be inability to see over the line. (Another very real possibility)

I think it's likely a combination of both and the "fear" factor Russ has to deal with after years of O-Line induced trauma that had him scrambling for his life play after play, game after game.

The upside is Wilson has come a long ways just this season. I really think the more time he gets to spend playing with Schotty the better he'll get and improve his chances at a long and successful career as he now moves into his 30's.
Excellent post. Reading my mind. It is really exciting that this is the first year with Schotty. They're really still mastering the basics. And Schotty is going to be stubborn and make Russ keep repeating them until he gets them right. But eventually, I think we will see more misdirection, an evolved screen game, some nuance against 3rd and long. I'm actually glad we arent seeing that now.

The point I've been poorly trying to make for weeks is that Russ has trouble still diagnosing and attacking coverages. His stat line looks great, but execution of the scheme was poor. Of course even Brady and Brees will have bad games, but it isnt going to be because they were routinely fooled by an awful defense. You wouldn't see an article like this about guys like them. You could say Russ is the 3rd best qb in the game, and I'd let you pass without an argument, but for reasons like you and the author mentioned, I am not yet able to lump him into that very top tier.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Matty;does more than just stuff on RW.Take the time to go see some before
you have a .NET fit because it doesn't favor your elite fantasy who can do no
wrong.
As stated previously in this thread MFB does things in a different way so you
may not understand where he is coming from but this is what he does for a
living so he knows more about the game than most of us on here..

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Yep I agree. Matty is a great example of balanced fair critique. Which is all I ever ask for when it comes to Wilson, the most dismissed QB in the league

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
He's on pace for sure. Without the stat accumulation that his peers will have, he will need to add a bit more to his postseason resume.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":1pd9pk9h said:
He's on pace for sure. Without the stat accumulation that his peers will have, he will need to add a bit more to his postseason resume.

One more run?

D

DomeHawk

Tical21":2arcdd1j said:

Lol, well, that's all I need to know not to click.