Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1nsoy1i7 said:
Man..............I don't know about this, oline just took another huge hit with Max gone and we have never been able to successfully implement a TE into our offense.................I don't really understand this. I am sure we could of gotten Jordan Cameron for far less and still have Max and our first rd pick.

You're being a downer just to be a downer.

We have the most elite TE in the NFL in a long time. RW needs a TE, this changes the dynamic.

Who needs an O-line when you can throw it up to Graham?

Chill out.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/575386656573779969[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/575385344331268096[/tweet]

A-Dog

Reaction score
I like this trade.

Graham is an elite receiving tight end. That should open a lot of things up for us, and Wilson finally has a legit red zone threat.

Unger is overrated. He's hurt a lot, his shotgun snaps are terrible, and he gets overwhelmed 1 on 1 against a lot of defensive tackles. Our backups have performed pretty well when he's been out. In general I think the center position is really difficult for fans to really evaluate... I have a lot more faith in our coaches and our front office than I do the fans in terms of evaluating Unger's value. He also has a pretty hefty contract.

Obviously it hurts to give up the #1 but whatever player we could have gotten there would not have been as good as Graham and would not have been able to contribute as much right away. Our window is NOW.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1qqzgx1b said:
Unger AND a first rounder? this is the dumbest thing I have seen them do, if this happens. Please, don't do this

No that would be the Harvin trade, what is not to like? Can you get a guy like Graham at 31? Unger is hurt a lot and over rated I think.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
kidhawk":2j3hohi1 said:
Ziggyy108":2j3hohi1 said:
I hope we traded next years first and got a fourth this year....

Lets load up in the draft this year.

Hearing it's this year's 31st for the Saints 4th this year

Dang. Woulda preferred next year's first but it's all good. We should still have 11 picks.

themunn

Reaction score
holy...

I mean, I love Unger, but he missed 10 games last year, and after failing to adjust (among other things), we won the last 8 of them. He missed 3 games the previous year, and he's never quite looked the same since 2012 when healthy anyway.

His knowledge of the game is definitely elite, but I lost count of the number of times his shotgun snaps went wide, and trading for one of the games top 3 TEs on a contract of effectively £9m per year?

Especially given the lack of TE talent in the draft, perhaps PCJS see a replacement center they can pick up in the 4th round?

gulliver

Reaction score
Wow, this is freaking crazy. I LOVE the idea of having Graham--he is the basketball player Russell Wilson needs to climb the ladder--but I'd rather have had a big outside threat instead to stretch the field vertically.

I also seriously worry about our gameplan on the OL now. Russell already spent half the season on his ass--now we're getting rid of the anchor of our OL... all it takes is one guy getting through at a weird angle and Russell becomes "RG4". Do we really want to give them 55 sacks/chances a year at that?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Look out for Stefen Wisniewski, he's been undervalued so far this FA period and would be a solid option at Center for us!

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Think about it, Bree's has been blessed with great tight ends to make his offense successful, gates and then graham. This is great for us!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I need some time to take this in. Initially, i like it because graham is premeier TE, but don't really love that we had to give up a pro-bowl center, a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder.

aawolf

Reaction score
I love it!

I realize some Seattle fans are on the fence about this, but that might just be because you have only seen Graham at his absolute worst when he's played Seattle. He is an elite receiving threat and we won't be seeing anymore balls bounce off Willson's fingertips. He's a deep threat and a red-zone monster. He'd have probably beat Butler in "that route". We just got sooo much better in the passing game. As for Unger: I'm sad to see him go, but I trust we have a plan to preserve our O-line depth. The interior of the line is a concern now more than ever and we better be going hard after guards and centers.

marko358

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1n7bser2 said:
I need some time to take this in. Initially, i like it because graham is premeier TE, but don't really love that we had to give up a pro-bowl center, a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder.

No, we get their 4th rounder.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":16b52iza said:
Ziggyy108":16b52iza said:
I hope we traded next years first and got a fourth this year....

Lets load up in the draft this year.

Hearing it's this year's 31st for the Saints 4th this year

basically a 2nd rounder for an early 4th round the way the number falls

Yes a drop but the draft position sure helps in lowering the value cost

Hawks46

Reaction score
I thought our offense was better with Unger out there, but LJP is a good option and we can draft a guy. We weren't too bad without Unger in the lineup and a lot of that is Unger making Carpenter and Sweezy better. Sweezy needs to improve, but we're done seeing Carpenter look clueless on a blocking assignment and whiffing a block, or getting blown up in pass pro.

The positives: we weren't going to get this kind of value out of our 1st round pick. We're getting proven produciton, and a skill set that's missing in our receiver corps, and the guy isn't a headache like Harvin.

Unger was getting injury prone, and the drop off wasn't huge when multiple replacements were in there.

Center is a position you can draft well without using high draft capital to do so. We can get Unger's replacement with the 4th we got for Graham, or package it to move up to get a better prospect we like.

Graham's contract is NICE. 3 yrs, 27 mil and 8 mil (7.9) guaranteed, meaning we can rework it pretty easily if need be. NO is eating the dead money on it this year.

Miller was good for us when he was healthy and Russ used him a lot his rookie year (think Atlanta playoff game). I think Russ and Jimmy can work real well together if Jimmy is willing to grind.

The negatives:

How are we going to use Graham ?

Can or will Graham run block ?

Graham is soft. It's true, but maybe he toughens up watching a guy like Marshawn run for him. And you can't be soft on our practice field or you'll get run off. Graham is going to have to pull up his skirt, grab his balls, and ball out to survive daily against our defense. I think he toughens up being in Seattle

Overall, I like it. If Bevell can't figure out how to use a guy like Graham, there really won't be any excuse to not let him move on. Graham should post about 60ish catches, 8-900 yards, and 10 TDs easy. With all the extended drives, that is worth what we'll give up for him. Watch how easy our WRs get open now.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
By far the best I've felt about Seahawks football since the super bowl.

Latest posts