Michael Bennett (not political)

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Yeah Bennett is one of the best D-linemen in the league and he's off to an amazing start. Again.

I bet this thread wouldn't exist if he went back to dancing for you.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":354uqin9 said:
Yeah Bennett is one of the best D-linemen in the league and he's off to an amazing start. Again.

"Amazing"??? How do you qualify that statement? PFF lists him as average so far in 2017.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1fa8huow said:
WindCityHawk":1fa8huow said:

"Amazing"??? How do you qualify that statement? PFF lists him as average so far in 2017.

Stop looking at the numbers and look at the field. Forest, trees, etc.

Funny, Wilson and Graham actually look pretty average and make even more money, and not nearly as many people are calling for their heads. Wonder what the difference is...

Rocket

Reaction score
When you draft/sign players in part for their intelligence, then you're going to get players questioning everything, including the salaries of others.
I believe it's a more than fair tradeoff.

Kudos to the Mods for allowing an apolitical Bennet thread. :2thumbs:
(Anguish is mellowing... anyone check to see if the moon is still there?)
:rumble:
(love ya, Bro)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You wonder what the difference is between Russell Wilson and Bennett performing average? One obvious difference is that Bennett has the finest support around him while Wilson has what used to be Jimmy, Doug, and a bag of ham sandwiches. I'm not saying Bennett sucks but we do need him to pick his game up a few notches and if he is causing trouble in the locker room he better be hitting QBs.

massari

Reaction score
stizz19":1ttf8mt0 said:
massari":1ttf8mt0 said:
Can't see how he's declined yet, but I've always been for trading guys who still have a lot of value for high draft picks once they've hit a certain age...was hoping they'd deal Bennett/Sherman/Avril and possibly Kam this past off season for high picks then use the money to sign younger free agents.

So instead of a 10-13 win season you wanted a 5-7 win season? Wow do you know anything about football?
Sorry for the random bump, but turns out I just might!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
adeltaY":3bxmj3td said:
Y'all realize Martellus Bennett was with the Pats all last year, right? He talks plenty and stayed with them through their superbowl win. So the whole Belichick would've cut him for speaking out idea is probably not true.

What's this about Bennett talking smack about Russ? During the summer he was very protective of Russ after those stories came out. There's even a thread here full of people scoffing at Bennett saying the team "couldn't win a game without Russ."
Yep he lasted one season there...

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bennett won the game for us against Houston with a couple tackles on the Texans final series, 1 more first down and game over. IIRC Bennet had a shoestring tackle on a 2nd down run and and then was in on the tackle for the 3rd down stop.

The Bennett I've seen, offsides aside, has been playing at a very high level, and I'm not noticing much of a dropoff.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I completely disagree Bennett is still a great player as for the rest I support that as well . Thank God Pete doesn't listen to people like you.

massari

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2vukit4z said:
I completely disagree Bennett is still a great player as for the rest I support that as well . Thank God Pete doesn't listen to people like you.
He is still a great player, but he's 32 and starting to be more focused with off field stuff. Would've rather traded him and the other older guys like Avril+Sherman+maybe Kam (not sure about Kam though) while they still have value for draft picks in the off season, which would've also created more cap room for FA's.

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":edpghs9n said:
Northwest Seahawk":edpghs9n said:
He is still a great player, but he's 32 and starting to be more focused with off field stuff. Would've rather traded him+the other older guys like Avril+Sherman and maybe Kam (not sure about Kam though) for draft picks in the off season and create more cap room for younger FA's.

He is a huge producer, trading him for maybe's and what if's is not smart, now if you have a specific target it is different that is a proven guy to shore up a weakness and the trade works both ways. Look at Freeney at 37, Bennett other then his current issue with his foot has been pretty healthy over all. Others that played a long time are John Randle, Reggie White, and they did it on the inside exclusively.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
In regards to DL I am more interested if the player is doing their job as opposed to other statistics. Are they holding their ground, are they eating up double teams, are they stuffing the run even if they don't make the tackle, are they pushing their opponent in and collapsing the pocket, are they forcing the QB to hurry his throw, mess up his timing, things of these nature.

Bennett is doing his job, pressures the QB and blowing up plays. His statistics are not bad either.

Michael Bennett

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I'd like to point out that Bennett is on pace to have his best year ever statistically, he has 26 tackles and 6.5 sacks, he also has 10 tackles for loss good for 5th in the NFL. This whole myth about him having an off year is just that, a myth. People looking for reasons to bash him because of something not football related.

cymatica

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3pihiks6 said:
You wonder what the difference is between Russell Wilson and Bennett performing average? One obvious difference is that Bennett has the finest support around him while Wilson has what used to be Jimmy, Doug, and a bag of ham sandwiches. I'm not saying Bennett sucks but we do need him to pick his game up a few notches and if he is causing trouble in the locker room he better be hitting QBs.

This is just wrong. Ham sandwiches are good

massari

Reaction score
chris98251":2f0yj93d said:
massari":2f0yj93d said:
Northwest Seahawk":2f0yj93d said:
He is still a great player, but he's 32 and starting to be more focused with off field stuff. Would've rather traded him+the other older guys like Avril+Sherman and maybe Kam (not sure about Kam though) for draft picks in the off season and create more cap room for younger FA's.

He is a huge producer, trading him for maybe's and what if's is not smart, now if you have a specific target it is different that is a proven guy to shore up a weakness and the trade works both ways. Look at Freeney at 37, Bennett other then his current issue with his foot has been pretty healthy over all. Others that played a long time are John Randle, Reggie White, and they did it on the inside exclusively.
This past draft class was loaded with pass rushers and DB's. Jordan Willis went in the 3rd and Carl Lawson in the 4th. Both would've been great fits here along with McDowell and possibly another high pass rushing pick. Plenty of vet FA's to bring in along with a few high draft picks. Could've also traded for guys like DE William Hayes and Kony Ealy for next to nothing as depth.

When Sherman was being shopped and the Dolphins were interested, I proposed Sherman for 1st+Maxwell, then pick a guy like TJ Watt, Takk Mckinley, G.Conley, Kevin King ect with that pick. Who knows though, maybe no one wanted to give a high pick for Sherman? Picking up a FA like A.J. Bouye or Stephon Gilmore to replace him could've also been a possibility.

It's sorta risky either way, but I just personally like to get fairly high draft picks for aging guys like Bennett, Avril, Sherman before they start to decline or become brittle, opening up both the cap room to spend wherever and the championship window for longer.