Michael Bennett reportedly wants around $10 million a year

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When they still have to take care of the HUGE upcoming contracts of RW, Earl and Sherm etc. it flat out DOES matter how much they pay Bennett.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":mi0m2qti said:
Scottemojo":mi0m2qti said:
Bigpumpkin":mi0m2qti said:
Scottemojo":mi0m2qti said:
Can't blame him for setting the bar high.

Well Scott, then who do you want me to blame?

The average working man making $5,000 a month for 45 years would make $2,700,000 in a lifetime In effect, Bennett is asking for $50 million for five years. Why is it that we do not hear from the "have not's" of society or their leaders hollering for more equality?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Please elaborate.

My question is, "Who are we fans to blame for the rapidly escalating major league sport salaries? This is probably why my seats in the 300 level have increased nearly 30% in three years. I know that my salary didn't go up by that amount!

Actually, salaries are based on the Salary cap which is set by TV Network deals...

...and the cap has remained relatively stagnant since the new CBA...which in part is why Bennett and Avril were available for the prices the Seahawks paid them last year.

The ticket prices at games are going up because of supply and demand. They will charge as much as they can get.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1uq84kvu said:
When they still have to take care of the HUGE upcoming contracts of RW, Earl and Sherm etc. it flat out DOES matter how much they pay Bennett.
Hence the reason he won't be seeing 10 million from us.

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ci5x1eg said:
SoulfishHawk":3ci5x1eg said:
Hence the reason he won't be seeing 10 million from us.

Agreed. Happened in SF last year with Goldson.

You can't pay everyone especially when you overpay some of them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":fyi3jlnh said:
Scottemojo":fyi3jlnh said:
Bigpumpkin":fyi3jlnh said:
Scottemojo":fyi3jlnh said:

The average working man making $5,000 a month for 45 years would make $2,700,000 in a lifetime In effect, Bennett is asking for $50 million for five years. Why is it that we do not hear from the "have not's" of society or their leaders hollering for more equality?

My question is, "Who are we fans to blame for the rapidly escalating major league sport salaries? This is probably why my seats in the 300 level have increased nearly 30% in three years. I know that my salary didn't go up by that amount!

While I get the feeling ticket prices are going up with or without Bennett, I understand the financial pain when it comes time to shell out for season tickets.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":y3kja7fw said:
Scottemojo":y3kja7fw said:
Bigpumpkin":y3kja7fw said:
Scottemojo":y3kja7fw said:

The team's number of wins has increased by 43%, so you're getting a bargain. It's simple supply and demand. The more successful teams will command more demand.

Bennett's salary will be determined by a competitive marketplace. If he gets hurt, this could be the last contract with guaranteed money he ever signs. I hope he signs it with the Seahawks.

Chi-Hawkman

Reaction score
I've seen this happen before when Wilbur Marshall left the Bears for the $$ in Washington after the Super Bowl in 86. He was never the same player.
Bennett should get what he deserves, but make sure to get a large portion in the signing bonus, and have an incentive laced contract. I don't think that'll
count much against the cap, plus there's money to be made in endorsements for being on a championship team...

Penman96

Reaction score
I'd say $10 million is close to Greg Hardy money, and he's the best FA defensive lineman. With 21 FA's I'm not sure Carolina can afford to franshise Hardy. Then there are Michael Johnson, Lamarr Houston, Jared Allen, Everson Griffen, and Justin Tuck. How many of these DE guys would take 5-6 million and a legitimate shot at a SuperBowl ring?

What about our draft picks, and our youth policy? Is it the direction of the team to sign a 28 yo to a long term deal, or is it our policy to use FA's like Bennett as stopgaps while we develop youth for the position?

If Bennett is looking for $10 million per season guaranteed it's pretty certain that Schneider will let him test the FA market. All power to him if he can get it, but it will be with the Jags or somewhere like that. Here he plays 2/3 of the snaps and has a good scheme, so less chance of injury and more chance of success. Down to him really...

I'm leaning towards not wanting Bennett back because there are likely cheaper and better options, and a long term deal for guys in his career position is exactly what we should be avoiding.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3msdrt0p said:
Scottemojo":3msdrt0p said:

Unless you're a kicker or Clipboard Jesus the odds of an NFL player having debilitating lifelong injuries at the end of their career approaches 100%. They are essentially sacrificing their bodies and, in some cases, their brains for the opportunity for fame and fortune over a short period of time. I have no problem with them trying to maximize their earnings in a career that can end on any play.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
And after all of this, that article is basically an editorial. I asked the guy where he got his $$ figure from. We'll see if he responds

CANHawk

Reaction score
had2bhawk":2tfkp5q4 said:
I think he stays. Schneider & Co offer up front money to counter his "Home town discount" statement. I believe he will realize that the extra few million playing elsewhere isn't worth it. Buy doing this, he will get others to follow in keeping this team in tact. A little bit too optimistic?

Exactly what I'm thinking (hoping). There's a lot more to these negotiations than just the sticker price. Look at the Revis deal; $96 million dollars over 6 years! WOW, that's a shit-ton of money..... only none of it is guaranteed. It's 6 different 1 year "prove it" deals. Much like McNabb's crazy $80m or whatever contract with Washington a few years back, there's no way Revis sees all of that $96m. And everyone knows it. At 29 y/o with a bad wheel, how much longer do you think Revis will be able to prove he's worth $16m/per?

I can see Schneider being pretty generous to guys who have proven their ability to stay healthy and productive by ponying up a lot of guranteed money, money up front and longer contracts in exchange for lower cap hits. Bennett likes to talk about "feeding his family"? Well a 4 year $35m contract with zero guaranteed won't go very far in feeding the fam if (god forbid) he severs an ACL in the pre-season. I don't think Bennett's necessarily greedy, he's just looking to maximize his value (aren't we all) and I think he's pragmatic enough to appreciate the value of guaranteed money vs. fluff.

I think guys are generally pretty smart about stuff like this and Schneider should be able to reward the top guys with, money up front, more guaranteed money and extra years (maybe not in MB's case cuz he's getting old) to incentivize them to take smaller contracts with regard to cap hits so they can squeeze it all under the cap. Not to mention the value that is going to work at the VMAC every day and getting a shot to compete for another ring. Those are important things that can make a difference that don't count against the cap. Sure they're little things, but the little things add up...

Penman96

Reaction score
TXHawkFan":1leaeldh said:
Bigpumpkin":1leaeldh said:
Scottemojo":1leaeldh said:

Unless you're a kicker or Clipboard Jesus the odds of an NFL player having debilitating lifelong injuries at the end of their career approaches 100%. They are essentially sacrificing their bodies and, in some cases, their brains for the opportunity for fame and fortune over a short period of time. I have no problem with them trying to maximize their earnings in a career that can end on any play.

Ay, but in maximizing your earnings you could be jeopardizing your safely. What if Bennett made $10 millon at a place where he played every down, had a poor supporting cast, and a bad offense that kept the D on the field all the time? Surely then he dramatically increases his chance of injury - maybe surviving for 2 or 3 years

Alternatively with the Seahawks he plays 2/3 of downs, has a great supporting cast, and often gets off the field quickly. Hell, sometimes by the 4th quarter they are sending on backups. Maybe here he's surviving for 4 or 5 years.

So I'm not buying the "money and make it before an injury happens" argument - there are other considerations that can't be ignored.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Penman96":3aydr65y said:
TXHawkFan":3aydr65y said:
Bigpumpkin":3aydr65y said:
Scottemojo":3aydr65y said:

Ay, but in maximizing your earnings you could be jeopardizing your safely. What if Bennett made $10 millon at a place where he played every down, had a poor supporting cast, and a bad offense that kept the D on the field all the time? Surely then he dramatically increases his chance of injury - maybe surviving for 2 or 3 years

Alternatively with the Seahawks he plays 2/3 of downs, has a great supporting cast, and often gets off the field quickly. Hell, sometimes by the 4th quarter they are sending on backups. Maybe here he's surviving for 4 or 5 years.

So I'm not buying the "money and make it before an injury happens" argument - there are other considerations that can't be ignored.

Sure...but when have you seen an NFL player in his prime think that way? That is a solid argument, but NFL players think they are indestructable and see more playing time and more money as nothing but good things.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2gynevx2 said:
Scottemojo":2gynevx2 said:

What is this, communist Russia? The man is asking for $50 million and if there's somebody willing to pay that, then that's what he's worth. End of story.

Yay Capitalism! :salute:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":127iu1qi said:
Michael Bennett may have just solidified his departure from the Super Bowl champs. Bennett, who led the Hawks in sacks this past season, reportedly wants around $10 million a year and is unwilling to take a discount to stay in Seattle. Michael Bennett After an impressive season, it makes sense that he wants to cash in

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...ksrc=story_article_msn_original_head_15810110

What do you guys think?.
Thanks for helping us win the 1st Lombardi Michael! :th2thumbs:
Best of luck in your future endeavors, your effort here is much appreciated.
If your number comes down come back and we'll talk, if not we need to move on.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3co8ollo said:
Scottemojo":3co8ollo said:
Bigpumpkin":3co8ollo said:
Scottemojo":3co8ollo said:

We blame ourselves. The NFL and the media have realized that we'll devote plenty of time and energy to supporting these teams and athletes. We will watch the games no matter what. And as a result, those games are valuable to the networks, because they get to sell prime advertising space. The money they provide the league goes to pay the players what the market will bear.

Now, if the average working man did something that millions of people are interested in watching, and the pool of potential employees who could do that job was very small, then yeah, he'd make a hell of a lot, too.

But that ain't the case, now is it?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2wddonwa said:
Seeker":2wddonwa said:
give it to him.

Who do you want to cut?

Reminds me of a parent telling his/her kid they can't afford to buy him something and kid responds with "well you still have some checks left." I guess salary cap is still a foreign concept to some people.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1m99wdk2 said:
Dude's a horrible writer.

The Seattle Seahawks have big decisions to make regarding the salary cap, and Michael Bennett may have just solidified his departure from the Super Bowl champs. Bennett, who led the Hawks in sacks this past season, reportedly wants around $10 million a year and is unwilling to take a discount to stay in Seattle.

After an impressive season, it makes sense that he wants to cash in. But his wishes are unlikely to be granted by GM John Schneider, and other NFL teams for that matter.

He sets up his own false premise that Bennett is on his way out of Seattle because he's demanding 10M per year...........then in the very next paragraph confirms what most people know, that he won't get it. So how is he likely to be leaving Seattle if no one else is going to pay him 10M per year either?

Idiot.

Well OBVIOUSLY Bennett plans to sit out the season unemployed until all those teams come to their senses. :mrgreen:

Latest posts