Michael Bennett reportedly wants around $10 million a year

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
@Marvin...If that's the case (they don't factor in anything but money as in the total number without factoring in the guaranteed portion or the ACTUAL team/situation they join) maybe they should have taken a class or three and get that degree so that life isn't dependent on a 3-5 year window in your early 20's...just maybe?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If he actually gets somewhere in the $9-10M range (which would SHOCK me), then you got a good shot at a 3rd round comp pick in return. Would you be willing to surrender $10M cap AND a 3rd to keep him?

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":24yvvxxt said:
@Marvin...If that's the case (they don't factor in anything but money as in the total number without factoring in the guaranteed portion or the ACTUAL team/situation they join) maybe they should have taken a class or three and get that degree so that life isn't dependent on a 3-5 year window in your early 20's...just maybe?

Got no argument from me.

Alot of these guys jump for the money and then regret the hell out of it later. I know thats what happened to Dana Stubblefield. I think it happened to Goldson too. In the Bucs off week he flew to SF to visit his ex-49er teammates.

Unfortunately, these guys usually only learn that lesson AFTER they've taken the big money deal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3lkvmxrj said:
If he actually gets somewhere in the $9-10M range (which would SHOCK me), then you got a good shot at a 3rd round comp pick in return. Would you be willing to surrender $10M cap AND a 3rd to keep him?

Depends on how many free agents the Seahawks sign and how they became Free Agents (players whose contracts have expired count towards the formula but players CUT by their previous teams do not), but mostly correct.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This is exactly why it's so hard to repeat as sb champions in this cap environment. If I were Bennett, I'd take a mil less to play on a sb champion club. Seriously, if you can't put groceries on the table for $7-8 mil a year for 4-5 yrs, then you'd better take a class in financial management.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marvin49":ngpsv5ay said:
DavidSeven":ngpsv5ay said:

Depends on how many free agents the Seahawks sign and how they became Free Agents (players whose contracts have expired count towards the formula but players CUT by their previous teams do not), but mostly correct.

Yeah, I'm assuming Seattle loses more free agents than it signs from elsewhere this off-season. They're not expected to be a big player in the outside FA market (but who knows?). I'm disregarding random bargain-bin guys who might get league-minimum deals because they're excluded from the comp pick formula.

Exittium

Reaction score
No way. 10mil nope.. 7-8 Sure. IMO I think Pete's defense makes him shine. Rotating in and out and scheming. And I think we could easily find a replacement if he walks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":3p67yeof said:
MizzouHawkGal":3p67yeof said:

Got no argument from me.

Alot of these guys jump for the money and then regret the hell out of it later. I know thats what happened to Dana Stubblefield. I think it happened to Goldson too. In the Bucs off week he flew to SF to visit his ex-49er teammates.

Unfortunately, these guys usually only learn that lesson AFTER they've taken the big money deal.
Dana Stublefield that name is familiar (I was born and raised in Martinez, Concord and Richmond) wasn't he a DE?

Starrman44

Reaction score
More power to him. No ill-will from me. I also think our front office will do the smart thing and will find an appropriate replacement (whether from our current roster or an acquisition).

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
"John Schneider can find someone cheaper who can produce just as much as Bennett did in this year’s free agent pool. The Seattle Seahawks will not be sorely missing Bennett; he’s not integral to the Seahawks’ success next season. So, 12th Man, thank Bennett for his service and eagerly await the next free agent. Let him swallow up cap space somewhere else."

One of the ideas I agree with more than not. Still not buying the report is completely legit though.

Eamon696

Reaction score
I would rather have that 10 Million dollars go towards resigning Earl or Sherman. We need to deal with them this offseason, because we're going to have to pay big money to Russell next year.

niveky

Reaction score
so basically behind closed doors the hawks will tell him what they are willing to pay and when he goes out and can't get that money he will resign with seattle....if he hasn't waiting too long testing the market and the hawks have already moved on at that point and utilized all of the money they would have used to resign him.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1gtjhowl said:
If a team pays him that kind of dough to be THE guy on the DL, he won't be on a team that is winning games, and they won't be getting the production that kind of money would demand. The dude can play, but he has quite a bit of talent taking attention off him on this team.

Am I the only one else who believes this outright? He's good, not great. I love him but he's replaceable. He's not worth that money frankly. 6-7 mil is a fair deal for this team, maybe 8 or even 10 on a less than solid team.

I'm happy we have Avril over a longer period of time.

Exittium

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2onzan2q said:
AbsolutNET":2onzan2q said:
If a team pays him that kind of dough to be THE guy on the DL, he won't be on a team that is winning games, and they won't be getting the production that kind of money would demand. The dude can play, but he has quite a bit of talent taking attention off him on this team.

Am I the only one else who believes this outright? He's good, not great. I love him but he's replaceable. He's not worth that money frankly. 6-7 mil is a fair deal for this team, maybe 8 or even 10 on a less than solid team.

I'm happy we have Avril over a longer period of time.

Nope, I think thats probably whats gonig to happen, and I agree he's replaceable. Pete Defense Made him look good for various reasons. IMO he's okay and very replaceable. The fact we have a rotation to keep guys healthy and fresh during the game helps immensely, especially when its 4th qtr against a very tired and beat O-Line, Bennett comes in fresh and looks amazing.

kearly

Reaction score
If his goal is $10 million then he'll probably end up settling for $8 million or $9 million. That's usually how goals work and there is some good competition in the pass rusher market.

To all the naysayers let me ask you this, if the Bengals offered us Geno Atkins for a can of tomato soup, would you want JS to take that offer? Because Geno Atkins makes $11 million per year on his current contract extension.

I think when factoring Bennett's versatility and consistency (as well as his extremely high PFF scores) I don't think it's a stretch to put Bennett at the same level, or perhaps very close to the same level, as Atkins. Bengals fans seem pretty happy to watch their team commit $11 million per year to him. Shouldn't we be happy to pay Bennett similar money? It's not like PC/JS have been mining pass rushers the same way they have churned out playmakers in the back seven.

I think if Bennett is obtainable for anything up to $11 million, Seattle should sign the deal and make sacrifices elsewhere. If he comes in at $8 million per, I'd consider it a bargain for whoever gets him.

Latest posts