Mina Kimes ranks Pete Carroll at #10 among coaches

bileever

Reaction score
She ranks Andy Reid at number 1 and Kyle Shanahan is number 2, but Pete is number 10.

Mick063

Reaction score
Thirty years ago, I never saw a single "rankings" sports show on television. Now there is some variation of a ranking, from every sports-centric media outlet, every single day.

The sports entertainment industry revolves around two main topics.

1) GOAT.
2) Rankings.

Sports entertainment consumers get routinely smothered with some variation of the above topics on a daily basis.

It is lucratively designed to invoke emotional investment. You are SUPPOSED to feel angry or conversely, you are SUPPOSED to feel vindicated. It is a form of social conditioning designed to get you hooked. To get you emotionally invested. To get you coming back to see if you can finally find some validation or alternatively, to see if your validation has somehow slipped away.

Let me help some folks with their emotional dependency for a moment. As a Seattle fan, you will NEVER find validation in the fore mentioned sports programming formats because you follow a small market team. Remember, this is all profit orientated. This incessant ranking theatre will ALWAYS favor either: 1) The large market teams or 2) The teams that via scientific polling, prove to be a true national/international brand with respect to the measurable size of their fan base.

This has all been figured out with number crunching algorithms. The most profitable show formats are engineered and designed. The people involved are paid actors fulfilling a predetermined role. The media giants have this down to a SCIENCE. Because fan attention is profitable. Because fan emotional investment is a very valuable commodity that is sold for a very handsome return. But........because you follow a small market team, YOU ARE NOT the target consumer here. Hence, your "ranking" will always suffer because of this.

Don't get me wrong. If the team wins come in double digits or the team wins a Super Bowl, they will get their due recognition, but this will only be due to the fact that there has to be some element of truth to retain credibility. To maintain a semblance of viewer trust. But trust me, once the team finds some adversity, the media giants will sink this ship quicker than the Titanic and once again, any variation of the daily rankings theatre will find routine exclusion.

As long as you know this ahead of time, before you click on this stuff, you might find some entertainment value. Like pro wrestling, you already know who the winners are going to be, but that doesn't mean you can't find a measure of entertainment in it. Personally, I don't care for pro wrestling, but I can understand why it thrives and has a following. Like these daily ranking theatre shows, it provokes emotional investment. And makes a whole lot of money.

Last edited:

seabowl

Reaction score
He’s a great motivator and a players coach. Without going through the entire list, I think 10 is probably about right. His failure to fix the defense for so many years, offense line when Wilson was the QB, and being too loyal to some of his position coaches, has hurt this team, and his reputation as being a top-five coach.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Mina I think without looking holds PC to account for the little slump we've had over team 3's twilight years, she admits she's harder on the Seahawks than anyone else.

Rat

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if she's sensitive to being accused of homerism and feels compelled to be a touch more critical on the Seahawks. As a Buckeye fan, I see that often with Kirk Herbstreit. Whenever he says anything positive about the Buckeyes, everyone is all "yeah, that is his alma mater, of course he likes them" while fans of the team think he's too hard on them for no apparent reason.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I don't see much argument for having below the periphery of the top 5.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if she's sensitive to being accused of homerism and feels compelled to be a touch more critical on the Seahawks.

I think she is just a critical fan.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if she's sensitive to being accused of homerism and feels compelled to be a touch more critical on the Seahawks. As a Buckeye fan, I see that often with Kirk Herbstreit. Whenever he says anything positive about the Buckeyes, everyone is all "yeah, that is his alma mater, of course he likes them" while fans of the team think he's too hard on them for no apparent reason.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I don't see much argument for having below the periphery of the top 5.
She basically alluded to this in answer to a question on one of the latest interviews she was on, think it was a couple guys on youtube yep

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite. Let’s come up with 9 better coaches. I’d give you Andy Reid. I’ll even throw in Belicek even though his record without Brady is worse than Pete’s without Wilson.
After that I’d throw in McVay but I question his longevity. Shanahan needs a SB win to cement his status above Pete. And I don’t think you can put any of the young wunderkinds above Pete especially if they have a stud QB. So I’m scratching my head at this point.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Oh, I don't agree with Mina, I think PC is perennially in the top 5 coach carousel of active head coach talent. I think Mina is really hard on him and john for the last 5 years, I'll allow it. As long as she bumps him up after they win a lot this year, simply for flipping team 3 into talent

Fade

Reaction score
He’s a great motivator and a players coach. Without going through the entire list, I think 10 is probably about right. His failure to fix the defense for so many years, offense line when Wilson was the QB, and being too loyal to some of his position coaches, has hurt this team, and his reputation as being a top-five coach.
4th post nails it.

Extrapolating more on top of this.

First, all of the coaches in the league have weaknesses. There are no perfect coaches. I can pick at the flaws of any coach.

They have their styles/philosophies, and specialties.

Pete lost my confidence when he kept coaches that clearly needed to be fired for too long, combined with failing to put together a defense post LOB, despite the heavy investment over the years.

My hype would be through the roof for this season if I had any faith Pete and Hurtt could put together a defense. But all I've seen is a unit that has continued to get worse over 10 years, despite all of the picks, trades, free agents, and DCs over this time. Instead I have tempered expectations, expecting what we've been seeing.

The Seahawks, after this draft, I think are #1 in draft capital spent on defense over the last five years. They were #2 before the draft. And just spent a top 5 pick, and an early 2nd on defense.

All of the good Pete brings to the table, gets completely undone when a defensive coach can't put together a defense for YEARS.

My NFL Head Coach Rankings Right Now:

Not factoring in legacy or body of work. Just who would you take to coach your team for this season and going forward.

#1 Sean McVay

Yeah, he was a big part in selling the Rams future down the river. But he is darn good at maximizing every player on his roster. He fixes things too. If they have an issue it doesn't linger on for years. It gets fixed in an off-season.

Tough sledding ahead though. And his record is going to take a hit.

#2 Bill Belichick

Bill's gotten old and has lost some velocity on his fastball. He used to be #1 by a country mile, like McVay he maximizes every player on his roster, but he would also morph his team into something new each week always keeping teams guessing. Bill the GM has killed Bill the coach over the years, and it still didn't stop him from winning anyways. Now he has no QB, and he's 70 years old. Still 70 yr old Bill is better than 96.8% of the league.

#3 Andy Reid

He developed Mahomes. Every QB who has worked with him has played their best ball under him. He is virtually unbeatable coming off a bye week.

#4 Mike McDaniel

The secret sauce behind Kyle Shanahan's ascension. On his own he thoroughly impressed. Putting the cart in front of the horse on this one probably. But I like guys who are really into the X's and O's, and makes things easier on their players with scheme.

#5 Doug Pederson

An Andy Reed disciple that can be the offensive playcaller and lead men. He learned a lot from Andy, who learned from Holmgren.

#6 Sean Payton

An offensive playcaller that is also a strong leader having learned under Bill Parcels. But he is older, and sat out a year. Is why Pederson is higher.

#7 Mike Vrabel

His teams play smart, tough, and hard. Give him better QB play and we're talking much higher of him.

#8 Brian Daboll

I would rank him higher, but he inexplicably hitched his wagon to Daniel Jones. Signing off on that move is utterly baffling.

#9 Dan Campbell

He somehow injected confidence into a franchise and fanbase that are perennial losers, and expect to lose. SOL.

#10 John Harbaugh

Coaching for an organization that does personnel so well props him up a bit. But still he does a great job of limiting mistakes from his team and managing the game.

#11 Nick Sirianni

Eagles had a loaded team and coaching staff that has now been pillaged. If he overcomes that this year, I'll place him much higher next year.

#12 Kyle Shanahan

If he could learn how to keep his QB healthy, and not choke in the 4th quarter, he would rank a lot higher. His running scheme is tried and true, and will always keep his team in the mix. Also there's the whole Trey Lance debacle which hurts his standing.

#13 Matt Lafleur

Poor man's version of Kyle Shanahan. But at least he can keep his QB healthy.

#14 Pete Carroll

He needs to go out with a bang and not a whimper. Otherwise, he will continue to tumble down the list. He has the roster, so the excuses need to cease. Geno Smith last year masked the continuing problem, like prime Wilson masked. The defense.

#15 Mike Tomlin

Like Pete, hasn't done anything of significance in years, but keeps his team from being absolutely terrible.

#16 Arthur Smith

Has exceeded any expectation given the terrible rosters he's been handed his first 2 years.

#17 Sean McDermott

Needs to coach Josh Allen harder and get him to limit his turnovers, or he will get fired. A great defensive coach though.

#18 Ron Rivera

An oldschool ball coach who is more about getting guys to play hard, rather than be concerned with the X's and O's.
That can only take you so far, and sounds oddly familiar.

#19 Frank Reich

I like him, it's just that he might only be an OC. His stop in Carolina will tell the tale.

#20 Kevin Stefanski

Another Shanny tree guy. Needs to get Watson on track. He made Baker Mayfield look good for a season, which is an accomplishment.

#21 Kevin O'Connell

Only 1 year, and the team played with extra enthusiasm due to the firing of Mike Zimmer, who the players hated.

#22 Mike McCarthy

Mike hasn't been good for a long time. It feels like the league passed him by 10 yrs ago. Still has been to an NFCCG more recently than Pete Carroll.

#23 Robert Saleh

I'm still trying to figure out how he won all of those games last year without a QB. If the Jets fire him, the Seahawks need to scoop him up to be the new DC.

#24 Brandon Staley

Has made a lot of mistakes in his young career as he was promoted to the position too early. If he can clean those up he has potential.

#25 Todd Bowles

Most of these guys all make great coordinators on the 2nd half of this list. There just isn't 32 capable HCs to go around. Bowles personifies this.

#26 Zach Taylor

It must be nice to have Joe Burrow at QB.

#27 Matt Eberflous

Only been a head coach one season, but managed to keep a positive vibe around the team despite all of the losing.

#28 Dennis Allen

He is a DC that is a HC for some reason.

#29 Josh McDaniels

Ranks last easily. He is doing exactly what he did in Denver. He learned nothing. Damn good OC though.

#30 Colts Rookie HC

N/A

#31 Texans Rookie HC

N/A

# 32 Cardinals Rookie HC

N/A

SNDavidson

Reaction score
4th post nails it.

First, all of the coaches in the league have weaknesses. There are no perfect coaches. I can pick at the flaws of any coach.

Pete lost my confidence when he kept coaches that clearly needed to be fired for too long, combined with failing to put together a defense post LOB, despite the heavy investment over the years.

My hype would be through the roof for this season if I had any faith Pete and Hurtt could put together a defense. But all I've seen is a unit that has continued to get worse over 10 years, despite all of the picks, trades, free agents, and DCs over this time. Instead I have tempered expectations, expecting what we've been seeing.

The Seahawks, after this draft, I think are #1 in draft capital spent on defense over the last five years. They were #2 before the draft. And just spent a top 5 pick, and an early 2nd on defense.

All of the good Pete brings to the table, gets completely undone when a defensive coach can't put together a defense for YEARS.

Not factoring in legacy or body of work. Just who would you take to coach your team for this season and going forward.

#1 Sean McVay

Yeah, he was a big part in selling the Rams future down the river. But he is darn good at maximizing every player on his roster. He fixes things too. If they have an issue it doesn't linger on for years. It gets fixed in an off-season.

#2 Bill Belichick

Bill's gotten old and has lost some velocity on his fastball. He used to be #1 by a country mile, like McVay he maximizes every player on his roster, but he would also morph his team into something new each week always keeping teams guessing. Bill the GM has killed Bill the coach over the years, and it still didn't stop him from winning anyways. Now he has no QB, and he's 70 years old. Still 70 yr old Bill is better than 96.8% of the league.

#3 Andy Reid

He developed Mahomes. Every QB who has worked with him has played their best ball under him. He is virtually unbeatable coming off a bye week.

#4 Mike McDaniel

The secret sauce behind Kyle Shanahan's ascension. On his own he thoroughly impressed. Putting the cart in front of the horse on this one probably. But I like guys who are really into the X's and O's, and makes things easier on their players with scheme.

#5 Doug Pederson

An Andy Reed disciple that can be the offensive playcaller and lead men. He learned a lot from Andy, who learned from Holmgren.

#6 Sean Payton

An offensive playcaller that is also a strong leader having learned under Bill Parcels. But he is older, and sat out a year. Is why Pederson is higher.

#7 Mike Vrabel

His teams play smart, tough, and hard. Give him better QB play and we're talking much higher of him.

#8 Brian Daboll

I would rank him higher, but he inexplicably hitched his wagon to Daniel Jones. Signing off on that move is utterly baffling.

#9 Dan Campbell

He somehow injected confidence into a franchise and fanbase that are perennial losers, and expect to lose. SOL.

#10 John Harbaugh

Coaching for an organization that does personnel so well props him up a bit. But still he does a great job of limiting mistakes from his team and managing the game.

#11 Nick Sirianni

Eagles had a loaded team and coaching staff that has now been pillaged. If he overcomes that this year, I'll place him much higher next year.

#12 Kyle Shanahan

If he could learn how to keep his QB healthy, and not choke in the 4th quarter, he would rank a lot higher. His running scheme is tried and true, and will always keep his team in the mix. Also there's the whole Trey Lance debacle which hurts his standing.

#13 Matt Lafleur

#14 Pete Carroll

He needs to go out with a bang and not a whimper. Otherwise, he will continue to tumble down the list. He has the roster, so the excuses need to cease. Geno Smith last year masked the continuing problem, like prime Wilson masked. The defense.

#15 Mike Tomlin

Like Pete, hasn't done anything of significance in years, but keeps his team from being absolutely terrible.

#16 Arthur Smith

Has exceeded any expectation given the terrible rosters he's been handed his first 2 years.

#17 Sean McDermott

Needs to coach Josh Allen harder and get him to limit his turnovers, or he will get fired. A great defensive coach though.

#18 Ron Rivera

An oldschool ball coach who is more about getting guys to play hard, rather than be concerned with the X's and O's.

#19 Frank Reich

I like him, it's just that he might only be an OC. His stop in Carolina will tell the tale.

#20 Kevin Stefanski

Another Shanny tree guy. Needs to get Watson on track. He made Baker Mayfield look good for a season, which is an accomplishment.

#21 Kevin O'Connell

Only 1 year, and the team played with extra enthusiasm due to the firing of Mike Zimmer, who the players hated.

#22 Mike McCarthy

Mike hasn't been good for a long time. It feels like the league passed him by 10 yrs ago. Still has been to an NFCCG more recently than Pete Carroll.

#23 Robert Saleh

I'm still trying to figure out how he won all of those games last year without a QB. If the Jets fire him, the Seahawks need to scoop him up to be the new DC.

#24 Brandon Staley

Has made a lot of mistakes in his young career as he was promoted to the position too early. If he can clean those up he has potential.

#25 Todd Bowles

Most of these guys all make great coordinators on the 2nd half of this list. There just isn't 32 capable HCs to go around. Bowles personifies this.

#26 Zach Taylor

#27 Matt Eberflous

Only been a head coach one season, but managed to keep a positive vibe around the team despite all of the losing.

#28 Dennis Allen

#29 Josh McDaniels

Ranks last easily. He is doing exactly what he did in Denver. He learned nothing. Damn good OC though.

#30 Colts Rookie HC

N/A

#31 Texans Rookie HC

N/A

# 32 Cardinals Rookie HC

N/A
Nice post sir, I would put PC at 7 and bump everyone else down, because PC can find, empower, and make franchise qbs, some other genious tactical hc's cannot, nor do they seem to know how to employ the people to do that for them.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thirty years ago, I never saw a single "rankings" sports show on television. Now there is some variation of a ranking, from every sports-centric media outlet, every single day.

The sports entertainment industry revolves around two main topics.

1) GOAT.
2) Rankings.

Sports entertainment consumers get routinely smothered with some variation of the above topics on a daily basis.

It is lucratively designed to invoke emotional investment. You are SUPPOSED to feel angry or conversely, you are SUPPOSED to feel vindicated. It is a form of social conditioning designed to get you hooked. To get you emotionally invested. To get you coming back to see if you can finally find some validation or alternatively, to see if your validation has somehow slipped away.

Let me help some folks with their emotional dependency for a moment. As a Seattle fan, you will NEVER find validation in the fore mentioned sports programming formats because you follow a small market team. Remember, this is all profit orientated. This incessant ranking theatre will ALWAYS favor either: 1) The large market teams or 2) The teams that via scientific polling, prove to be a true national/international brand with respect to the measurable size of their fan base.

This has all been figured out with number crunching algorithms. The most profitable show formats are engineered and designed. The people involved are paid actors fulfilling a predetermined role. The media giants have this down to a SCIENCE. Because fan attention is profitable. Because fan emotional investment is a very valuable commodity that is sold for a very handsome return. But........because you follow a small market team, YOU ARE NOT the target consumer here. Hence, your "ranking" will always suffer because of this.

Don't get me wrong. If the team wins come in double digits or the team wins a Super Bowl, they will get their due recognition, but this will only be due to the fact that there has to be some element of truth to retain credibility. To maintain a semblance of viewer trust. But trust me, once the team finds some adversity, the media giants will sink this ship quicker than the Titanic and once again, any variation of the daily rankings theatre will find routine exclusion.

As long as you know this ahead of time, before you click on this stuff, you might find some entertainment value. Like pro wrestling, you already know who the winners are going to be, but that doesn't mean you can't find a measure of entertainment in it. Personally, I don't care for pro wrestling, but I can understand why it thrives and has a following. Like these daily ranking theatre shows, it provokes emotional investment. And makes a whole lot of money.

Great freaking post man. Spot. On.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
4th post nails it.

#1 Sean McVay

#2 Bill Belichick

#3 Andy Reid

#4 Mike McDaniel

#5 Doug Pederson

#6 Sean Payton

#7 Mike Vrabel

#8 Brian Daboll

#9 Dan Campbell

#10 John Harbaugh

#11 Nick Sirianni

#12 Kyle Shanahan

#13 Matt Lafleur

#14 Pete Carroll

#15 Mike Tomlin

#16 Arthur Smith

#17 Sean McDermott

#18 Ron Rivera

#19 Frank Reich

#20 Kevin Stefanski

#21 Kevin O'Connell

#22 Mike McCarthy

#23 Robert Saleh

#24 Brandon Staley

#25 Todd Bowles

#26 Zach Taylor

#27 Matt Eberflous

#28 Dennis Allen

#29 Josh McDaniels

#30 Colts Rookie HC

N/A

#31 Texans Rookie HC

N/A

# 32 Cardinals Rookie HC

N/A

Great post. Its an unbiased opinion, but you'll get flamed because your not showing favoritism to the home team coach.

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
4th post nails it.

#1 Sean McVay

#2 Bill Belichick

#3 Andy Reid

#4 Mike McDaniel

#5 Doug Pederson

#6 Sean Payton

#7 Mike Vrabel

#8 Brian Daboll

#9 Dan Campbell

#10 John Harbaugh

#11 Nick Sirianni

#12 Kyle Shanahan

#13 Matt Lafleur

#14 Pete Carroll

#15 Mike Tomlin

#16 Arthur Smith

#17 Sean McDermott

#18 Ron Rivera

#19 Frank Reich

#20 Kevin Stefanski

#21 Kevin O'Connell

#22 Mike McCarthy

#23 Robert Saleh

#24 Brandon Staley

#25 Todd Bowles

#26 Zach Taylor

#27 Matt Eberflous

#28 Dennis Allen

#29 Josh McDaniels

#30 Colts Rookie HC

N/A

#31 Texans Rookie HC

N/A

# 32 Cardinals Rookie HC

N/A
Good post, and I generally agree with your rankings with a few exceptions. Don't you think Kyle Shanahan has been an innovator that has changed offenses around the league and should deserve a higher ranking? I'm also surprised you didn't give Sean McDermott and Mike Tomlin more credit. These are two guys who have been able to sustain success over a long period of time, especially Tomlin, and in McDermott's case, turning a franchse around in a pretty short time. And I think it's too early to rank Mike McDaniel and Brian Daboll so high, especially putting McDaniel at #4. I appreciate that he is a different kind of animal, but it's too early after just one season to put him that high. Also, I don't know if there's enough evidence to give him so much credit for Shanahan's success. And here, I'm not disputing what you say, just saying that I haven't read or heard that much about McDaniel's role in Shanahan's offensive scheme.