Mood after this Draft.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3voehrzs said:
Tusc2000":3voehrzs said:
I can explain it to you with two words:

RUSSELL WILSON

Need I say more?

Seriously, its not hard. Without Russ, last years team is a 3 to 4 win club.
Russ is a top 5 quarterback, Russ makes the team better, Russ elevates the floor and ceiling of the current Seahawk's roster, and saying that the team is a 3 to 4 win club without Russ is faulty logic.

Without Russ the Seahawks are spending more on other position groups and the makeup of the roster is completely different. Take the highest paid player off of almost any team (football, basketball, baseball, hockey) without spending the savings elsewhere and the team would be much worse.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1pvtgm0t said:
Aros":1pvtgm0t said:
Thank you Ad Hawk. Pretty much sums up my feelings. Of course there is entertainment value in the draft. Of course it's fun to speculate and debate each pick. All I was saying is that it cracks me up that people actually think there is merit to grading a draft. Puuuuuhlllleeeeezzzzeee. Whether it's Joe Fan in his basement or Daniel Jeremiah, there is NO way to know how the draft pans out for any team, any time, until a few years go by.
Oddly, there is a Joe Fann who is the Seahawks "insider" for NBC sports northwest. I can neither confirm nor deny that he lives in his mom's basement.
I think he got offended when JS asked if Joe Fann was his real name.

That is so funny you brought that up. I heard that exchange...John smiled and laughed a bit and Joe Fann called him out on it...It was a touch awkward and you could totally tell the dude is sensitive about his name. John expertly shrugged it off without being insulting but it was funny all the same. Dude. Your name is Joe Fann. Of course people in your field are going to find that mildly entertaining.

LTH

Reaction score
I think this was a solid draft... Clearly the Hawks addressed what they felt they needed to address.. My mood is optimistic..

a lot of people think the Hawks reached in this draft, I think not so much. it's my opinion that the Hawks grade their players differently than other teams.

What makes PC and JS different is the system they created to develop players.. They seem to be really good at finding a player that has talent and helping that player to reach their optimum potential, especially players that other teams may have passed on because of an issue that was thought to be a negative the Seahawks turn that into a positive attribute. Carroll might be amazed that the same player wasn't gone sooner and feel lucky to get that player where they did when everybody else thinks its a reach because he sees something that nobody else sees...

The Hawks like guys that have overcome hardships in their life because those are the guys that have the character to overcome adversity and win championships...this is the obvious and clear staple in JS and PC draft system.

So i guess through the years I stopped trying to second guess because there are so many different factors I dont see in a very complicated system that few understand (not saying I understand anything but the obvious).

The Hawks are about competition so if they feel they need to improve say the TE position or the guard position it makes since they load up on those positions and let the cream rise to the top... I have no problem with that..

LTH

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LTH":2a9m1hr0 said:
I think this was a solid draft... Clearly the Hawks addressed what they felt they needed to address.. My mood is optimistic..

a lot of people think the Hawks reached in this draft, I think not so much. it's my opinion that the Hawks grade their players differently than other teams.

What makes PC and JS different is the system they created to develop players.. They seem to be really good at finding a player that has talent and helping that player to reach their optimum potential, especially players that other teams may have passed on because of an issue that was thought to be a negative the Seahawks turn that into a positive attribute. Carroll might be amazed that the same player wasn't gone sooner and feel lucky to get that player where they did when everybody else thinks its a reach because he sees something that nobody else sees...

The Hawks like guys that have overcome hardships in their life because those are the guys that have the character to overcome adversity and win championships...this is the obvious and clear staple in JS and PC draft system.

So i guess through the years I stopped trying to second guess because there are so many different factors I dont see in a very complicated system that few understand (not saying I understand anything but the obvious).

The Hawks are about competition so if they feel they need to improve say the TE position or the guard position it makes since they load up on those positions and let the cream rise to the top... I have no problem with that..

LTH

Good stuff there LTH. Agreed. :2thumbs:

toffee

Reaction score
Would have felt better if we got a j Dillion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
toffee":13w0h1nw said:
Would have felt better if we got a j Dillion

I'd have felt better if we could have had Kinlaw, Simmon, Henderson, Wills, etc.

So what?

xray

Reaction score
Well ...I didn't feel like doing naked cart-wheels ; but it looks like they are rebuild mode again ; which is good... gotta rotate the tires and get new ones if needed . :irishdrinkers:

olyfan63

Reaction score
I feel like we got guys that will upgrade some thin spots that failed us at key times, especially our LBs and rush DEs. Then we get some guys who will "do their job" in a unique role, like that tall TE will give us the Jimmy Graham post-up red zone TD option, a good 3rd down back in DeeJay Dallas who can also give Chris Carson a breather for a series without a huge dropoff. The G we drafted will slot in and move people in the run game.

Our LBs will be a little speedier and we'll cope better with divisional foes that have taken advantage of us on stretch running plays, Rams and Niners especially. We'll have a better pass-rush and that will improve our DBs even if *they* don't improve. We'll have big targets for Russ that will force teams to decide which mismatch they want to play their big DB(s) on.

We were really close last year, 1/2 yard away from being Division Champs, and I think we made up that 1/2 yard with the team that will be built. We got a little younger, a little faster, a little hungrier, and our free agent pickups in the secondary make us much better in coverage on the back end.

We have a great core of veterans with teaching skills who will help coach the young guys up. Bobby, KJ, Tyler, Russ, Duane Brown, Greg Olson, and others.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
It's a linebacker league. If you don't have quick and instinctive LB's that can run, you're falling behind. The Brooks pick is gold. I like him better than Queen anyway...better tackler and packs a punch. But boy can Brooks run.

We came out of this draft with three fast defenders who can hit and get to the QB. A potential day one starter on the OL and another tall red zone target to pair with DK.

I'm full of optimism.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I liked this draft Brooks Taylor and Lewis all look like guys that produce . My biggest concern we still don't have a slot corner with any real chops . None of the draft picks from the previous draft look like starters with the exception of Metcalf maybe Blair we'll see.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1a9ybo08 said:
pittpnthrs":1a9ybo08 said:
Tusc2000":1a9ybo08 said:

RUSSELL WILSON

Need I say more?

Russ is a top 5 quarterback, Russ makes the team better, Russ elevates the floor and ceiling of the current Seahawk's roster, and saying that the team is a 3 to 4 win club without Russ is faulty logic.

Without Russ the Seahawks are spending more on other position groups and the makeup of the roster is completely different. Take the highest paid player off of almost any team (football, basketball, baseball, hockey) without spending the savings elsewhere and the team would be much worse.

Its not faulty logic when talking about poor drafting (not free agents). The talent through pure drafting just isnt there.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2uo0o27p said:
Sun Tzu":2uo0o27p said:
pittpnthrs":2uo0o27p said:
Tusc2000":2uo0o27p said:

RUSSELL WILSON

Need I say more?

Its not faulty logic when talking about poor drafting (not free agents). The talent through pure drafting just isnt there.

It is faulty logic, though, to assume your definition of the adjective "poor" is correct.

BASF

Reaction score
Tusc2000":12xf7cl6 said:
We may not know much about this year's draft yet -- but we know a lot about the past 7 years. Since 2012, our drafts have largely been below average. We've gotten some starters and a few good players here and there who've lasted, but not a whole lot of studs.

Our draft success in the last 7 years have turned out to be a very big drop off from 2010-2012, when Pete's off-the-charts knowledge of college players was simply way better than anyone else's, because he'd been studying them for years. Now we're just like everyone else -- maybe a little worse.

Please read this:
https://overthecap.com/looking-at-nfl-draft-success-since-2015/

I have posted this link a few times now and the most reaction I got was I don't need a nerd's extrapolation to tell me how we drafted. Tenth best hit rate and seventh best success rate, says that we are still ahead of others.

BASF

Reaction score
As far as the topic, I like this draft. We addressed what we needed to address for the most part and where we went multiple picks, we now have a lot more options. I like each of the picks and the direction they are taking in the building the roster.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
BASF":15z4mynf said:
Tusc2000":15z4mynf said:
We may not know much about this year's draft yet -- but we know a lot about the past 7 years. Since 2012, our drafts have largely been below average. We've gotten some starters and a few good players here and there who've lasted, but not a whole lot of studs.

Our draft success in the last 7 years have turned out to be a very big drop off from 2010-2012, when Pete's off-the-charts knowledge of college players was simply way better than anyone else's, because he'd been studying them for years. Now we're just like everyone else -- maybe a little worse.

Please read this:
https://overthecap.com/looking-at-nfl-draft-success-since-2015/

I have posted this link a few times now and the most reaction I got was I don't need a nerd's extrapolation to tell me how we drafted. Tenth best hit rate and seventh best success rate, says that we are still ahead of others.

I think that eye chart reinforces the old chestnut "Statistics don't lie but ...."

Putting aside whatever their formula is for how a team's "Success Rate" is calculated (I would personally define it as wins and losses), the assumption that because the Hawks have an above average % of draftees who stay on the roster longer does not really mean that much. It just means they stay on the roster longer.

Sorry, but I just don't see the correlation between draftees staying on a roster and overall team success. The Chiefs' have one of the lowest numbers in that category, but hey, they're the ones holding the Lombardi trophy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what my mood is after this draft.

Usually I'm all jacked to watch, follow all the picks on Twitter, etc. But this year with the dark cloud of Covid hanging over everything, I find myself more apathetic and detached from the draft.

Are these guys even going to get to practice? Are we even going to have a season? Idk man. I'm happy for all these kids, but I feel sorry for them that their dream of being drafted is being dampened.

As far as the players, what I see is Pete and John made a concerted effort to not only draft for need (guard, pass rush, healthy TE, healthy RB), but they drafted for guys who can come right in and contribute right away, or even start if needed.

titan3131

Reaction score
A+ Draft.

My only complaint is no DT, or Future LT prospect.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think they did good. Hope the players pan out to be great. We really need to get some superstars on the field.

I think their undrafted players are going to really give us some tough decisions come cut down. ESP they kid from UAlbany. I know it’s a small school but my buddy works for the school and said the kid is amazing. He’s one to keep a eye on. Hope he makes it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I was shocked and upset when they drafted Jordyn Brooks. But that's because I didn't know who he was. Which of course, is a really poor way to judge NFL talent.

Then I started researching him, and wow! Last year the Arizona Cardinals put up 253 rushing yards on the Seahawks, with Kyler Murray getting 40! That's abysmal!

And that's why we have Jordyn Brooks. He's played against that type of offense, chased and tackled mobile QBs, and put the hurt on Running Backs. Out biggest issue on last year's defense was not Sacks, it was the Rush Defense. We now have someone that can improve that rush defense.

Brock Huard said that after watching last year's film, the ball was out quickly, under 2.5 seconds, leaving very little time to get to the QB.

Pete's philosophy has always worked well. First, stop the run, make them one dimensional, then pin your ears back. Last year we couldn't do that.

More for Jordyn Brooks: Mel KIper: "I didn't see Brooks getting past the middle of the 2nd round."

"Brooks was tasked with Spying the QB quite a bit."

Pete Carroll:"We considered Darrell Taylor at 27, but we had our eyes set on Jordyn."

"The youngest of 7 kids, they moved around a lot, living in other people's homes with them."

Then there's Darryl Taylor. The biggest complain on him was that "He disappeared for parts of the game."

Turns out he was Tennessee's most versatile defensive player, and at times where he "disappeared," he was tasked with holding his position. But according to Pete: "When he was turned loose on the pass rush, then he really excelled."

And I LOVE Alton Robinson.

Finally, because of Russells' height, he need that pocket to step up in to, and with our new right guard, he should be able to do that. Between Damien Lewis, Jamarco Jones, and whoever they put at Center, Russell's protection should be much better this year.

(The middle of the pocket is what has allowed Drew Brees to have his success. That's why New Orleans has invested so heavily in the offensive line.)

(Oh, and DeeJay Dallas "is the best pass blocking running back in this draft." Per Daniel Jeremiah. Plus, he was a QB and WR, and plays the Wildcat and returns punts and kickoffs.)

So, after I settled down and looked at the draft as a whole, and learned more about the players taken, I'm very satisfied with this draft, and honestly believe that at least 4 of these players will stick on this team in 2020. Jordyn Brooks, Darrell Taylor, Damien Lewis, and Alton Robinson. Colby Parkinson might make it 5.

Yep, after getting over my initial (ig'nant) disappointment, I realized that while I may spend an inordinate amount of my lifetime studying, talking, and researching college players, my level of knowledge compared to Pete and John, and their Staff of Scouts, isn't squat. THey have all of the background on these players that shows the level of grit these young men have. Such as Darrell Taylor losing his mother to cancer in 2013 and having his father incarcerated. (See below)

But man, would I love to travel around with JS and/or a couple of his Scouts and soak up the knowledge! That would be my dream job. Next to working for SpaceX, piloting the rocket to Mars. That's not weird is it?

Darrell Taylor

He had to grow up quickly.

His father was incarcerated when Taylor was a young boy growing up in Virginia. His mother died of breast cancer in 2013, when he was an early teenager
. He credits his aunt, his high-school football coaches, “my whole city” of Hopewell, Va. for “pretty much (being) there for me every step of the way.”

“They were all there for me,” he said, pride in his deep voice. “They were my backbone, to make sure I kept on a straight line, to make sure I was doing everything to graduate from high school, make it to college—do what I’m doing now.”

That includes being a father to a young boy. He turns 2 in July. Taylor says being a dad has taught him patience—and, frankly, the value of being a better father than he had growing up.

Seattle gets a grown man on the field, too.

Taylor is 6 feet 4, 267 pounds. A draft assessment by league-owned NFL.com of him begins with one eye-catching bullet point: “Chiseled out of granite.”

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... rylink=cpy

Reaction score
What I find funny is how a fan can sit there and look at a another fan in a negative light because how he or she feels. Say they are being negative or a armchair gm I hear a lot of John and Pete are professionals and because you are not a nfl coach or an executive you do not have a right to question them. They are a professional and your sitting on your couch.

If that is the case let us not ever question play calls coaches game time decisions or getting rid of coaches when they should. Lets not talk about getting rid of the Darrel Bevels of the world your Ken Norton's etc etc. Lets not gripe about having time outs one of the best backs in our franchise history nick named beast mode and you don't give him the ball to win back to back super bowls. I mean they are the professionals and your at home sitting on your coach and they know better right.

Having said my mood is so so after the draft. It is not that I don't like Brooks its just where you took him. He was valued some where between being a 3rd or fourth rounder, they took him in the first. I like the Taylor pick a little better but again you probably could had both of those players for our 2 second rounders plus a guy like Matos. If they felt the need of moving up to select one of them well we had the ammunition to make that happen. Then you have to ask your self did we just take two players one with a banged up shoulder and another that has a injury history as well. I do like that they infused the defense with speed at the lb position something that was surely lacking last year.

I can see what they are trying to do and it does make sense so I feel a little better than my first thoughts initially. Im glad they were able to get players at a position of need like at lb and defensive line. But at the same time they were not able to get a offensive tackle or defensive tackle. I like Lewis the guard out of lsu but how many Guards do we have on this team. I feel like they could of took Dt or a Lt in the mix somewhere. Same way I feel about the Tight ends how many Tight ends do we have. I think those picks would have been better at adding depth at positions of need. I am almost more intrigued of the undrafted free agents than our picks and to me that is saying something.

We really don't know how they will pan out until a couple years down the road that is true. However I feel there is something to be said of my immediate feelings about certain players. I jumped through the roof when we drafted Russ. I jumped through the roof when we got Metcalf. I was happy about the decisions to draft Lockett Clark Earl and Bobby and even Irvin a little. I dont get the same vibe with any of these guys. Brooks and Taylor I dont mind the players I just question at what spots they were taking. Like I sad you could of got both and added A guy like Epenesa or a Gross-Matos.

I do question this teams ability to infuse this team with talent via the draft. At the same time how many picks have this team missed on a decent draft positions. They need to stop with the 2nd rounders for the Sheldon Richardsons and 3rd rounders for Clowney cause you are throwing away good picks if these guys dont resign. I can only imagine where we would be if we added another player or pro bowler with one of those picks.

I give them credit and think they are above average in finding some key free agents in the past that keep this team competitive. In this regard I think they are good to great at finding some diamonds in the ruff via free agency. They had there misses too in that area however.

To sum everything up I look at the rest of our division did we get better than the 49ers no. Cardinals are having a better off season as well. Can they maybe make some moves this off season yeah. Signing Clowney or Griff would help a lot. There is some time to make some upgrades. But as it stands right now I see the 49ers and Cardinals taking two steps forward and the Seahawks taking one step back. Having a top 3 qb in the Nfl sure helps alot though.

I love em wouldn't root for any other team. My allegiance is to the Seahawks not a front office. Front offices come and go. I like this one I am forever grateful that they brought us a superbowl. I am not calling for their heads. I just think I have the right to question moves they are making in a draft. Money spent on gear and direct tv packages flying out to games from the east coast in my mind gives me a right to question. Does my feelings matter to them hell no. But I would like to think 40 years of rooting for our beloved Seahawks and time watching and traveling in my life that I can never get back will at least give the right to question a move they are making with my fellow 12's. You may not agree with it you might even despise it but I have earned the right to question on moves they are making. Not saying I am always right I could be wrong about this one. I would like to think however I have a right to question some of the moves this team makes.