My Impressions

Anthony!

Reaction score
kpak76":1viwxaj5 said:
They had Thomas on Max pretty much most of the time so yea he looked average. I think he is going to be ok, and if not Simon can push him for his job as all signs point to him being a good one also. Dumb penalty by him though.

Also this new contact rule looks like its going to favor our passing game more than hurt our pass defense. The way Russell extends plays makes it hard for the opposing DB's to not grab. At times it looks like Russell exploited those rules.

Looks like we are very stacked in the QB position. T-Jack is one of the top back-ups and Pryor looked better than him today. That last pick wasn't a great pass but if anything we can keep him for the scout team to simulate what Kaep is going to do. He actually looks very much like Kaep and has some of the same faults as him.

I thought Pryor looked avg to bad the Int was all him, he had a good pass or 2 but some bad ones and that against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I would take TJ over him for #2, and given he is a FA after this year and cannot go to the practice squad I say they trade him

lsheldon

Reaction score
Tokadub":2mc40u8l said:
My first impressions:

Harvin didn't even play at all? I guess the coaches understand how fragile he is since it seems like they played every other receiver who was healthy?

Harvin was lined up on the first snap from scrimmage. He didn't play after that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Making my way through this game, T-Jack looks sharp. Helfet may end up being a solid 3rd TE option. Richardson is NICE. C-Mike impressive, but ball security and blocking still look like issues to me.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
My two cents:

New guys: Was impressed with Coyle and Richardson. Those guys showed off some serious skills. Richardson reminded me a lot of a smoother Tate. Coyle blew some guys up and was in on a lot of tackles. Was less than impressed with anyone involved in our run game. Bleh! Simon had some great plays and some boneheaded ones, primarily the one where he got tossed. Pryor looked like a poor-man's Russell Wilson out there, especially with the spin-arounds to avoid tackles. Unfortunately, he's about a quarter as smooth, and you don't get that sense that greatness is about to happen when he's running for his life like you do with Wilson.

Vets: Baldwin with the one catch he had was clutch as ever. Sherman wasn't even tested. ET was strong as ever. Offense was about as bland and vanilla as they could possibly get. Bennett had a couple of penalties, but looked alright.

I need to find a different locale in which to watch the game. Seriously, if anyone around the North King or South Snohomish area wants me to bring free beer, watch the game, and then crash on the couch after, let me know.

Tical21

Reaction score
The problem with preseason is that you have to watch the tape like 20 times if you want to come up with any real solid opinions about who was doing what. Without doing so, all we can really go off of is what happened around the ball. A defensive end can get manhandled all night long but slide off and get a hustle sack, and we will all assume he had a decent game.

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I didn't really like what I saw from Coyle or Marsh. I thought for the most part Coyle was pretty slow to react and had trouble getting off blocks. Peyton will do that to you though. I thought Marsh kind of got manhandled too often, but that is probably to be expected. The kid is going to hustle though.

I never saw Mayowa get unglued from the tackle, but a lot of that is also because Peyton was getting rid of it really quickly.

Scruggs was slow to get off the ball, and played pat-a-cake with the guard during his time on he field.

I thought Schofield looked like the best LEO tonight.

Maxwell is fine. In a cover 3, his #1 responsibility is to make sure he doesn't get beat deep. He's going to give up some comeback routes. He still plays them better than a lot of guys do. You just hope that teams get sick of connecting for five yard plays and getting their receivers sandwiched by Maxwell and a safety. He isn't like Sherm, who can take away the underneath stuff even when he isn't supposed to, and still manage to get back and defend the fade.

I thought Johnson played well. I think his pick was actually not a great play, and he got burnt pretty good and a better timed pass gets a completion, but for the most part, he kind of owned his role. I'm confident he could play for us if he had to.

I thought Pryor looked fine. TJack is playing with a ton of confidence though. I think this version of TJack could win big with the right team, knock on wood.

If Turbin can't get north and south, he's pretty useless. Going wide with no blocking isn't his game though, so I don't kill him for that.

I'm afraid CMike might have earned himself the #3 job with that fumble. He could have run for 100 yards tonight and still lost ground in the backup race after that.

Tharold Simon is an idiot. Waited over a year for that? If we had more depth I'd love to make an example out of that guy.

Mebane was by far our best interior rusher from what I noticed, and the only one that really collapsed the pocket.

I'll probably watch it again, wait, no I won't. I'm old and lazy. And it's past my bedtime. Night all.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Number one thing and most concerning coming off a Super Bowl win: No energy. Others have noticed it too I see. They were hungry when they made a statement against Denver last years preseason game. They weren't playing at the same speed this time around.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SalishHawkFan":120n71du said:
Number one thing and most concerning coming off a Super Bowl win: No energy. Others have noticed it too I see. They were hungry when they made a statement against Denver last years preseason game. They weren't playing at the same speed this time around.

A little bit this, yes. The first stringers played very vanilla and safe, and I think that's what you're seeing as "no energy." Besides the fact that half of all the starters at any one position save a few weren't even there or only played a few snaps.

I'm not concerned about being overly vanilla during the first preseason game. Health is as much an issue as energy.

Gametime

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3pn5q1ya said:
My two cents:

New guys: Was impressed with Coyle and Richardson. Those guys showed off some serious skills. Richardson reminded me a lot of a smoother Tate. Coyle blew some guys up and was in on a lot of tackles. Was less than impressed with anyone involved in our run game. Bleh! Simon had some great plays and some boneheaded ones, primarily the one where he got tossed. Pryor looked like a poor-man's Russell Wilson out there, especially with the spin-arounds to avoid tackles. Unfortunately, he's about a quarter as smooth, and you don't get that sense that greatness is about to happen when he's running for his life like you do with Wilson.

Vets: Baldwin with the one catch he had was clutch as ever. Sherman wasn't even tested. ET was strong as ever. Offense was about as bland and vanilla as they could possibly get. Bennett had a couple of penalties, but looked alright.

I need to find a different locale in which to watch the game. Seriously, if anyone around the North King or South Snohomish area wants me to bring free beer, watch the game, and then crash on the couch after, let me know.

What about Jefferson and Marsh? I thought they showed big tonight too.

Tical21

Reaction score
Ah, the energy thing. 1. It is preseason. 2. It is probably a good thing for the rest of the preseason that they lost this game.

Gametime

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":22zhk5g1 said:
My two cents:

What about Jefferson and Marsh? I thought they showed big tonight too.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Re: "energy": It was the first game of the preseason in front of a pretty dead road crowd. Half the starters were out (and didn't even travel). Not gonna kill them on energy.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3vrd18zw said:
Turbin was a disappointment. Granted he was running behind a patchwork O-line, but for a guy of his size he sure goes down easy.

I agree. It always seems like whenever he catches the ball he runs horizontal...

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
The only concern I take from this game is the o-line. I didn't expect them to be a finished product, but every year we seem to be starting from scratch. Hopefully when Okung, Unger, and Carp gets back it's a smooth reintegration, but when has it ever been easy under Cable.

As far as some positives, I liked the smoothness and athleticism of Coyle. He took some bad angles and probably needs to get a little bigger, but he's quick to the ball and can lay a hit.

I would have liked to see Richardson get deep, just as a fan, but I know that skillset is already there. The comebacks and intermediate routes were bright sign that maybe he can do a little bit more his rookie year.

Nice to see Cooper Helfet get down the middle of the field for a catch. That third TE position is wide open and someone needs to at least be serviceable. If nothing else, I'm thinking he's better than Kellen Davis.

Mebane dominated in the interior. Stay healthy, big man. I liked the size of Mebane and Williams together. I'm not worried about the d-line at all. They'll get their rotations down and be great this season. Quinn and Carroll were really throwing a lot of different combinations out there to get different looks.

Schofield looked like the best of the 2nd tier options off the edge. Mayowa will have more chances to show his stuff. I'd also like to see Marsh get a shot. His hands are impressive.

Finally, that field was awful. Everyone has to play on it, but for guys like C-Mike and some of the speed rushers I think it hurt their game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
As far as Pryor goes having relooked at it and at his stats he was not good, 9-16 which is 56%, He did have 137 yards but 16 pass attempts. A lot of his passes were not great, they were a little behind, or low, or high. The INT was awful behind the WR and late, it s the same pass Rw has made several times last year for tds. He looks at best AVG, but to be honest that is being kind. TJ looked way better. I would feel good we could win a game or 2 with TJ if RW got hurt, knock on wood. But with Pryor not so much.

At RB given how bad the o-line was not sure what to make of it.

Wr seemed fine hard to say since we kept it so vanilla.

Defense to many injuries or players not playing to know

I thought Denver showed more of what they really are, then we did. I think we kept it vanilla on both sides.

Exittium

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":ina1uhfn said:
I got the impression Seattle played to get the game out of the way and took a look at their players. I'm not reading much into the game other than that.

This essentially how i felt this was treated, as well as we have a pretty brutal schedule, I think our guys played smart. As well no need to go all out on a team who wants to prove something by causing harm or injury. (which looked like they wanted for a while)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
How is our oline supposed to gel when they are on the field together as a unit so rarely? FO knew about this problem in the off season but didn't do enough to fix it. tOkung and Flounder aren't going to get it done and at this point Unger shouldn't be figured in as a starter either. These guys are rarely healthy and never at the same time so we do not have a unit.

Latest posts