My Impressions

Smellyman

Reaction score
my impression....meh.

first preseason game, first hitting either team has really seen. MANY starters out for the hawks. not much to go on.

Mick063

Reaction score
If I ran the team, Jeffcoat would be waived tomorrow. He was really bad against 2nd string. Worst defender on the field. Can't seal the edge, arm tackler, no instincts, and slooooow for a "Seattle type" linebacker.

Michael would move ahead of Turbin on the depth chart. Perhaps Ware as well.
Jefferson would move up the depth chart ahead of his primary competitors.
Croyle would move into "lock" status to make the team. Schofield would move into "near lock" status.
I would attempt to light a fire under Scruggs and basically give up on Brooks.
I would move Mayowa down the depth chart.

I would be continuously picking up offensive linemen off the waiver wire and use Carroll's old "revolving door" approach until someone potentially competent showed up.

I would try to find a way to keep three quarterbacks on the final roster with Pryor likely "inactive" for much of the regular season.

I would come down hard on the penalties......again.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Michael: Why are people so down on him? He was running behind multiple backups some who may or may not even be on the team this year. I saw flashes of what scouts around the league have already said about the guy. I still think he is going to be a star once he is given the chance at the job probably in 2015. I love Turbin's work ethic and he seems like a great guy but Michael looked on a whole different level of talent to me.

Richardson also impressed me. He will work his way into a big role in this offense. He's much more than a burner and his route running looked impressive. Looking foward to seeing how he impacts the offense as he gets more comfortable.

Rob12

Reaction score
Good grief, I'll be ignoring .NET for the whole preseason. The comments on Maxwell are laughable. He stepped in and made us better last year... He made the LOB more legit. Not sure where the comments about him are coming from. How quickly some turn... Embarrassing.

First preseason game, guys. I just read some comments that were truly ridiculous, based off of the first preseason game.

Let's get a grip. Nothing at all wrong with talking about the game, but come on. Some of these comments are dangerously close to "sky is falling" territory.

I guess the pessimistic Seattle fan mentality can't be stripped from some, even after a dominating 2013 campaign and a five TD win in 48.

hawker84

Reaction score
my take, looked like a first pre season game to me. ton of missed opportunities, ton of penalties.

besides the first two drives, it was our 3rd and 4th stringers going against their second stringers, and a lot of our 1st stringers we had out there were really our number two's, what did you expect to happen?

thought we did just fine. penalties are going to happen, best to get them out of the way early, Pete will clean that up when the games start to count.

Michaels, clearly the better back, but in Turbins defense, there was very little running room. just looks to me like every carry is a big play waiting to happen with Christine.

Maxwell, you guys need to get off him, even brock said on tv, it looked like man to man, but they were actually in a very vanilla soft zone, so they were giving those come backs and slants to Thomas. All i have to do is go watch the playoff and SB games to ease any worry about Maxwell, i suggest some of you do the same.

Not worred at all about what i saw last night, disappointed in a few players, would have liked to see more pressure on Manning, but again it's the first pre-season game, they play like this is the 3rd game, i might be a bit more concerned.

Other than that, I think it's going to be a great season.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":363g4lvn said:
Re: "energy": It was the first game of the preseason in front of a pretty dead road crowd. Half the starters were out (and didn't even travel). Not gonna kill them on energy.

Add in the altitude factor, and I'm not surprised that our guys weren't treating it like they were pushing for a playoff spot. I don't think the 1st preseason game on the road is the place to worry too much about whether they have the drive.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":6zo1jns3 said:
Turbin was a disappointment. Granted he was running behind a patchwork O-line, but for a guy of his size he sure goes down easy.
So does Michael, all of the running backs were disappointing. A lot of people are on Cmike jock, Imo he was just as terrible as Turbin, he had 1 decent run. TURBIN had a tougher go playing against the #1's. Then again our own OL run blocking was terrible.

m0ng0

Reaction score
volsunghawk":nzo4kcd8 said:
DavidSeven":nzo4kcd8 said:
Re: "energy": It was the first game of the preseason in front of a pretty dead road crowd. Half the starters were out (and didn't even travel). Not gonna kill them on energy.

Add in the altitude factor, and I'm not surprised that our guys weren't treating it like they were pushing for a playoff spot. I don't think the 1st preseason game on the road is the place to worry too much about whether they have the drive.

I think the weather delay kinda sucked the energy and give a damn outta this game for many of the players, I thought Denver's crowd was pretty loud for a preseason game.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
jlwaters1":yz6r62xw said:
Hawk_Nation":yz6r62xw said:
Turbin was a disappointment. Granted he was running behind a patchwork O-line, but for a guy of his size he sure goes down easy.
So does Michael, all of the running backs were disappointing. A lot of people are on Cmike jock, Imo he was just as terrible as Turbin, he had 1 decent run. TURBIN had a tougher go playing against the #1's. Then again our own OL run blocking was terrible.
Ridiculous point of view, what you wanted us to use the whole draft on the OL did you? We drafted 2 and picked up 2 free agents, it's not Seattle fault Bowie was lazy, or that Okung needed surgery.
brimsalabim":yz6r62xw said:
How is our oline supposed to gel when they are on the field together as a unit so rarely? FO knew about this problem in the off season but didn't do enough to fix it. tOkung and Flounder aren't going to get it done and at this point Unger shouldn't be figured in as a starter either. These guys are rarely healthy and never at the same time so we do not have a unit.

taco40

Reaction score
Rob12":18badman said:
Good grief, I'll be ignoring .NET for the whole preseason. The comments on Maxwell are laughable. He stepped in and made us better last year... He made the LOB more legit. Not sure where the comments about him are coming from. How quickly some turn... Embarrassing.

First preseason game, guys. I just read some comments that were truly ridiculous, based off of the first preseason game.

Let's get a grip. Nothing at all wrong with talking about the game, but come on. Some of these comments are dangerously close to "sky is falling" territory.

I guess the pessimistic Seattle fan mentality can't be stripped from some, even after a dominating 2013 campaign and a five TD win in 48.

I'm not too surprised by the reactions. We've spent six months watching and rewatching wins in reg. season, playoffs, and SB so this bland get-a-good-look at 2nd and 3rd and 4th stringers mixed in with anchor players. They are learning to play together after a couple weeks of competing for a job so, yes, it was tough to watch in that light.
Rob12":18badman said:
How quickly some turn... Embarrassing.
I don't think folks are "turning" on our players, isn't that a bit harsh? Maxwell didn't look particularly polished, for instance. But I do agree that it was surprising in many cases that the play wasn't even close to what we might expect after two weeks.
I'd rather see these kinds of mistakes and guys out of position during the first preseason game than the last. The other thing we don't necessarily know is were guys working on certain things that made them look clueless on the play, but might end up being something that benefits them as a newer player.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Re:: Maxwell. A) Credit to Demaryius Thomas who is really good. Manning kept throwing him the ball at the expense of the team. B) Kam was not roaming the center of the field, looking for the kill. I am guessing his absence allowed for the Donkos to focus on the catch rather than the imminent crash.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Everybody is ripping our oline, did our second string oline not score on their first string defense? I thought the second string oline played well and Britt gave up a sack because of a mental error on a blitz ( he is a rookie). The only thing that disappointed me was Baily's run blocking. He needs to get meaner.

Rob12

Reaction score
The bottom line is this was the first preseason game. It was in Denver, in high altitude. Our only starting offensive lineman to play was Sweezy, and it was brief. Further, and while I don't think Denver took this game ultra seriously, you can't tell me that they didn't have that 35-point beat down on the biggest stage in football in their head. This is the first football our team has played in more than six months (in real time), after coming off an emotional offseason. If we're gauging how fast the Seahawks wanted to go 0 to 60, the answer is their foot was barely touching the gas pedal, and that was mostly by design.

I'm just not concerned - at all. We got out of there with no injuries.

And taco40, no, I don't think it was a bit harsh. Maybe it was just a few people, but some people here we're spouting hot garbage. Six months ago, Maxwell was one of the best young corners in the game. After one preseason game covering one of the most talented receivers in the entire league, I now read that he might have reached his ceiling already. Or how our offensive line "still can't pass protect," when we had one starter out there. It's just not intelligent discussion or analysis. And yes, I truly do believe that many are way too quick to forget.

Context is key... Perspective based on logic is important... And it's sorely missing here.

Northhawk

Reaction score
I thought both lines looked awful. I get the o-line was our second string and they still managed to score but the TD drive was helped by the Broncos and the refs. Defense was better but not by much. Our pass rush was also concerning. Manning could have pitched a tent and had rest before having to throw.

That said, it really looked like the Broncos were motivated by the superbowl loss. Whereas, the Hawks treated the game for what it was - a chance to evaluate the talent we have. As with any pre-season game, we didn't scheme much and tried people out in situations we wouldn't normally place them. Same could be said for the Broncos but it really felt like they were as interested in the W as in evaluating talent.

From that perspective, I'm not worried about any area except the O-line and we have yet to see our starting unit in action.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1x3hp9p3 said:
This thread is going about the way I thought it would.

Agreed, and I just had a buddy, a Giants fan, text me about this thread.

"This is what it meant by fickle Seattle fans. It has to be rain. Didn't you guys just stomp a hole in that team in the SB? That whole thread is panic and doom and gloom. Putting stock in preseason. Pathetic Rob."

Yep. Embarrassing.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Rob12":1e6ywfl8 said:
The bottom line is this was the first preseason game. It was in Denver, in high altitude. Our only starting offensive lineman to play was Sweezy, and it was brief. Further, and while I don't think Denver took this game ultra seriously, you can't tell me that they didn't have that 35-point beat down on the biggest stage in football in their head. This is the first football our team has played in more than six months (in real time), after coming off an emotional offseason. If we're gauging how fast the Seahawks wanted to go 0 to 60, the answer is their foot was barely touching the gas pedal, and that was mostly by design.

I'm just not concerned - at all. We got out of there with no injuries.

And taco40, no, I don't think it was a bit harsh. Maybe it was just a few people, but some people here we're spouting hot garbage. Six months ago, Maxwell was one of the best young corners in the game. After one preseason game covering one of the most talented receivers in the entire league, I now read that he might have reached his ceiling already. Or how our offensive line "still can't pass protect," when we had one starter out there. It's just not intelligent discussion or analysis. And yes, I truly do believe that many are way too quick to forget.

Context is key... Perspective based on logic is important... And it's sorely missing here.

This game was victory all around. All they could muster was a 21-16 victory at home in which we were inches from taking the lead. They very much wanted to win the game. Denver Post said that John Fox made a plea to his team the night before and they were talking about revenge.

Perspective, this Denver Bronco team is a hell of a lot better than last years team and the clear front runner to go to the Super Bowl and yet our mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers almost beat their 1st and 2nd stringers on the road. Sorry but not much to complain about.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Seahawks were banking on Bowie being 90% of Giacomini. They were also banking on Cable knowing how to draft a lineman... RT is a glaring hole on this team, and I fear that unless someone steps up it could be our Achilles heal the whole year. Britt looked really, quite terrible. Pretty much everything else, I wouldn't worry about.

Rob12

Reaction score
So, really, really think about it. The most prevalent word in this thread is "concerning." Is anyone here REALLY "concerned" about anything performance based right now? Please tell me you're not.

the ditch

Reaction score
lukerguy":2rxlcl26 said:
Seahawks were banking on Bowie being 90% of Giacomini. They were also banking on Cable knowing how to draft a lineman... RT is a glaring hole on this team, and I fear that unless someone steps up it could be our Achilles heal the whole year. Britt looked really, quite terrible. Pretty much everything else, I wouldn't worry about.

Bowie had some really solid games last year and ProFootballFocus was high on him I had some high hopes as well and I think it was a big hit to us that he came in overweight and then got injured. Our RT spot is a mess luckily we have Russell and Marshawn to make up for it.

Sac

Reaction score
Man, I really would like to see what this team could do offensively if the line were at least league average. And healthy.

Latest posts