My Impressions

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Now it's my turn to bitch and moan.

OL Justin Britt and Caylin Hauptmann were horrible today. They could not block anyone for more than two seconds in pass pro, and they struggled to move players off the line of scrimmage (not a surprise against a stout and deep Broncos defensive front).

Alvin Bailey had maybe his worst game, getting beat by Ware and showing little energy in the running game. I sound like a broken record, but Bailey truly needs to dedicate himself to improving his run blocking if he hopes to make it to a second contract after next year.

Jackson Jeffcoat is not a LB . . . why is he playing LB? If he doesn't flash his value as a pass rusher, he may not make the practice squad.

Kiero Small is incredibly slow, could not block anyone, and has hands of stone. At some point, they need to move on from this experiment and develop a quality backup. Hopefully that will be soon.

I liked what I saw from Richardson, Croyle, Marsh, Helfet, Jefferson, Lane, Lockette, Bronson, and Bates.

Simon was impressive until he screwed himself over with that penalty. His counterpart, Maxwell, was as expected. He could not be considered a "lock down" corner and is steep downgrade from either Brandon Browner or Walter Thurmond. However, he is decent in zone coverage and did not get beat deep. Not a corner you would want to commit to for the long term. Thankfully, Simon, Lane, and Jefferson look talented enough to start at some point if they can stay disciplined.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Rob12":38nl6fy8 said:
The bottom line is this was the first preseason game. It was in Denver, in high altitude. Our only starting offensive lineman to play was Sweezy, and it was brief. Further, and while I don't think Denver took this game ultra seriously, you can't tell me that they didn't have that 35-point beat down on the biggest stage in football in their head. This is the first football our team has played in more than six months (in real time), after coming off an emotional offseason. If we're gauging how fast the Seahawks wanted to go 0 to 60, the answer is their foot was barely touching the gas pedal, and that was mostly by design.

I'm just not concerned - at all. We got out of there with no injuries.

And taco40, no, I don't think it was a bit harsh. Maybe it was just a few people, but some people here we're spouting hot garbage. Six months ago, Maxwell was one of the best young corners in the game. After one preseason game covering one of the most talented receivers in the entire league, I now read that he might have reached his ceiling already. Or how our offensive line "still can't pass protect," when we had one starter out there. It's just not intelligent discussion or analysis. And yes, I truly do believe that many are way too quick to forget.

Context is key... Perspective based on logic is important... And it's sorely missing here.

I get what you are saying here but what concerns me is the injuries we already have namely to the "starting" OL.
Save for Sweezy these guys all missed significant time last season and as you stated have had more than six months since the last game but they are still too hurt to play. They have to play together as a unit and how can they do that with out ever playing together? We had one "starter" availalble for the opening game? One? How can we rely on these guys to protect our QB for another season? We better find away to keep 3 QB's on the team and one on the practice squad.

Sac

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Maxwell a steep downgrade. He's a really good player that just happened to get abused by Peyton and D Thomas. That happens to a lot of good players.

Rob12

Reaction score
Maxwell a steep downgrade from Browner and Thurmond... A player that performed arguably as well as Sherm last year. No. 2 (behind only Sherm) in QB rating against according to Pro Football Focus last year. This is the kind of crap I am talking about. He played at an absolute ELITE level last year, and balled out in the Super Bowl... And now, after an off game in the PRESEASON facing Manning and Demaryius, he is now a "steep downgrade" to two players that PC/JS let WALK from Seattle. Seriously dude, provide some facts to back that statement up, because that's easily one of the most asinine comments I've ever read here.

Maxwell played at a level comparable to Sherm last year. That's a fact.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
only watched until RW's score -- too late out here in YYZ - but my initial view, Denver tried very very hard and only managed to do "mediocre". there were way too many penalties. that was my other observation. i will watch the rest of game after work today.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rob12":3mkf5hlk said:
Maxwell a steep downgrade from Browner and Thurmond... A player that performed arguably as well as Sherm last year. No. 2 (behind only Sherm) in QB rating against according to Pro Football Focus last year. This is the kind of crap I am talking about. He played at an absolute ELITE level last year, and balled out in the Super Bowl... And now, after an off game in the PRESEASON facing Manning and Demaryius, he is now a "steep downgrade" to two players that PC/JS let WALK from Seattle. Seriously dude, provide some facts to back that statement up, because that's easily one of the most asinine comments I've ever read here.

Maxwell played at a level comparable to Sherm last year. That's a fact.

In terms of pure Opp. QB Rating, you're right. However, Maxwell's sample size was small, and he received relatively average/mediocre tape reviews from Football Outsiders. He also got a lot of help from Thomas last year and also in the game last night. Can't look at the numbers in a vacuum.

He had a rough night. That's not a total condemnation of the player forever. Browner's been abused on several occasions, and Thurmond had a tough time with Steve Smith in Carolina last year. It happens. At the very least, he did keep everything in front of him (which is job #1). I think he plays Seattle's technique very well, has basically ideal length, and has shown a knack for big plays. Whether he truly has the tools to be a true Pro Bowl/Elite caliber CB is something that still needs to be proven IMO. In our system, we don't necessarily need the RCB to be that caliber of player as long as we have Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor, but this will become relevant when considering what we want to do with him longterm and how we want to allot our cap.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It's a Preaseason game, I hope we lose them all just to troll the NFL and destroy everyone in the regular season to win the Super Bowl again.

We shouldn't be concern about our first preseason game, so by some fans logic then I guess the Patriots, Cowboys, and 49ers should be concern as well as they all got beat by double digits scores.

Pete said that he was going to showcase more of the young players, they were given more chance than the starters so we can find the right guy. If any starters were to play longer than intended and gets a season ending injury, then everyone would blame Pete. We have enough of our guys injured and we don't need anymore, so it was better to not play full force at this time. The better gauge would be the dress rehearsal preseason game where the starters will be out there more.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Mick063":3nqyj9xc said:
If I ran the team, Jeffcoat would be waived tomorrow. He was really bad against 2nd string. Worst defender on the field. Can't seal the edge, arm tackler, no instincts, and slooooow for a "Seattle type" linebacker.

Michael would move ahead of Turbin on the depth chart. Perhaps Ware as well.
Jefferson would move up the depth chart ahead of his primary competitors.
Croyle would move into "lock" status to make the team. Schofield would move into "near lock" status.
I would attempt to light a fire under Scruggs and basically give up on Brooks.
I would move Mayowa down the depth chart.

I would be continuously picking up offensive linemen off the waiver wire and use Carroll's old "revolving door" approach until someone potentially competent showed up.

I would try to find a way to keep three quarterbacks on the final roster with Pryor likely "inactive" for much of the regular season.

I would come down hard on the penalties......again.

Pryor is an FA after this year to keep him but in active makes no sense, east up a roster spot for nothing.

Mick063

Reaction score
Maxwell is a stud. He denied one first down ( tackling the receiver short of the stick) and would have done it twice if on another play, a Bronco guard had not piled into a receiver to push him over the line.

Manning had all day to throw. He would shred anybody with that kind of pocket comfort.

Finally, the Seahawks were playing zone as much as I have seen from Carroll (on one occasion rushing three and dropping eight which is downright unique) and almost all of those completions to Thomas were comeback routes on a soggy field.

You can separate the wheat from the chaffe by observing the Maxwell comments. Those that understand, have played and or coached the game and have situational awareness, from those who likely haven't. There really isn't another explanation. How else can you explain it?

Carroll will praise Maxwell at the next news conference. The lack of pressure is what really alarmed him.

Bottom line....Maxwell is a stud.

Mick063

Reaction score
Anthony!":3rbddjoj said:
Mick063":3rbddjoj said:
If I ran the team, Jeffcoat would be waived tomorrow. He was really bad against 2nd string. Worst defender on the field. Can't seal the edge, arm tackler, no instincts, and slooooow for a "Seattle type" linebacker.

Michael would move ahead of Turbin on the depth chart. Perhaps Ware as well.
Jefferson would move up the depth chart ahead of his primary competitors.
Croyle would move into "lock" status to make the team. Schofield would move into "near lock" status.
I would attempt to light a fire under Scruggs and basically give up on Brooks.
I would move Mayowa down the depth chart.

I would be continuously picking up offensive linemen off the waiver wire and use Carroll's old "revolving door" approach until someone potentially competent showed up.

I would try to find a way to keep three quarterbacks on the final roster with Pryor likely "inactive" for much of the regular season.

I would come down hard on the penalties......again.

Pryor is an FA after this year to keep him but in active makes no sense, east up a roster spot for nothing.

I would keep him for this year. Russ is going to take some hits this year. Bank on it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Mick063":18qfu9lx said:
You can separate the wheat from the chaffe by observing the Maxwell comments. Those that understand, have played and or coached the game and have situational awareness, from those who likely haven't. There really isn't another explanation. How else can you explain it?

You can explain it by saying that some fans get overly emotional and have zero filter between their knee jerk reactions and their keyboards. And it ain't just about Maxwell. It happens with damn near every player, and it happens damn near every game - both good and bad. .NET has been like this for as long as I can remember. Some subset of the board just goes apeshit no matter the outcome. If we lost or a particular player performed poorly, we're doomed and that guy should be cut. If we won or a particular player performed well, we're a dynasty and that guy is going into the HOF. Year in, year out.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
To address some of the comments:

I DID state is was the first preseason game, and I didn't take much away from it going forward. I know there were a lot of starters out.

Then again, it's Preseason. Why else would they play the games if you can't evaluate individual performances ?

QBs:

Wilson actually looks stronger. He stiff armed a couple of guys and looks strong running.

Jackson looks much more polished, and actually threw a pass to the left side of the field, and exploited the middle.

Pryor. I think this guy has a higher ceiling than Jackson, but he's not there yet. Like some have said, he's inconsistent and innacurate. Guys were catching balls and making him look good, if he had led Lockette on one of his catches, Lock would still be running. He also has a hard time figuring out when to run or pass. When he rolls out, sometimes he looks to run, sometimes to pass and he gets caught in no man's land. If he would run right away, he would be more productive.

Croyle. I liked his run fits, but he needs to wrap up better. He also messed up a couple of pass drops, on one I think he bit on the play fake a bit too hard. Not worried about it, he's a UDFA rookie and has a lot to learn.

Maxwell. I didn't say he was garbage, what I meant is that he might've reached his ceiling. He's making the same mistakes, and getting beat on the same routes as last year.

Flags. Funny how the refs clamped down on the holding and grabbing in the secondary, and we didn't get called for it at all....it was all Denver. That one DPI call was emberrassingly bad.

It's preseason, so the energy level doesn't bother me. I think the Hawks know they're going deep into the playoffs and what we're seeing is a team that's understanding just how long the season is for them.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1gv3cqc1 said:
Also, the penalties seem to be the NFL referees experimenting. Once the season starts, the good crews will still let the game flow and Ron Winters will still suck.

Winter retired this offseason.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
thebanjodude":1kxi8n4c said:
Sarlacc83":1kxi8n4c said:
Also, the penalties seem to be the NFL referees experimenting. Once the season starts, the good crews will still let the game flow and Ron Winters will still suck.

Winter retired this offseason.

How did I miss that? Mike Carey and Ron Winter gone? Hallelujah! (My statement that Winters sucks is still true, just passively. ;) )

StoneCold

Reaction score
My only concern is Russell looked fat and was sweating like a pig just before we scored our only TD. Dude needs to get on 30/10.

Go Hawks!

SC