New Hitting Coach

sutz

Reaction score
Well, we shipped out a couple of the biggest K-meisters from the lineup. There's been a bit too much emphasis on the long ball the last few years. Would love to see a lot more contact. We'd score a lot more runs if some of those homers/doubles happened with men on base. If he can manage that, I'll be happier.

Chapow

Reaction score
Now all we need is a bunch of actual MLB level hitters. Because I don't think the 3 or 4 we currently have on the roster is going to cut it.

Chapow

Reaction score
Well, we shipped out a couple of the biggest K-meisters from the lineup. There's been a bit too much emphasis on the long ball the last few years. Would love to see a lot more contact. We'd score a lot more runs if some of those homers/doubles happened with men on base. If he can manage that, I'll be happier.

I agree with more contact and putting more balls in play, but it needs to be quality contact. Ty France makes a lot of contact, but also hit a lot of weak ground balls to the SS and 2B. The result was hitting into the 2nd most double plays in MLB last season, which killed a lot of promising innings, and is worse than striking out.

sutz

Reaction score
I agree with more contact and putting more balls in play, but it needs to be quality contact. Ty France makes a lot of contact, but also hit a lot of weak ground balls to the SS and 2B. The result was hitting into the 2nd most double plays in MLB last season, which killed a lot of promising innings, and is worse than striking out.
Yeah, last year sucked. The year before, though, he was slapping singles and doubles to right field, enough to advance runners and move the line. Kept wanting to see him get back to that in '23, but it didn't happen, maybe because of the hand/wrist injury early. Gonna be tough to put a lineup together with the front office pinching pennies.

bileever

Reaction score
We need major league level players in LF, RF, 3B and DH. I'm not even expecting stars at this point, just average MLB players. If we can replace Ty France with a more effective first baseman, that would be nice, too. We just need more production out of that position. I just can't see the Mariners finding 5 players in the current market.

ryank24

Reaction score
Any prolonged injury to Julio, Cal, or any of the current starting pitchers would drop it to a 60-65 win team. The dropoff may be a blessing in disguise if it get's Dipoto and his puppet, Hollander, out of town.
Yes, let’s all wish for a losing season. These last 3 seasons are the most competitive this team has been in about 20 years. Enough is enough, it’s time to get back to sub 0.500 baseball again.

OP
OP
Crizilla

Crizilla

Reaction score
He's going to be the "coordinator" which isn't a position you hear a lot in baseball but apparently they are having him be the main dude.