NFL.com Power Rankings: Seahawks are #1 (UPDATED 9/8)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3lpjeobv said:
FWIW outside of Seattle I think folks generally think that the Packers were a better team in the NFCCG that just sh!t the bed on some really bad bounces.

I'm not saying this is correct, just relaying a general impression.

Yep. Agreed. Even some Hawk fans have that incorrect impression though the stats don't back it up. I can forgive the outsiders who probably didn't closely watch the game and review the tape and stats and have to rely on the media narrative.

In fact, there were two very good teams who both had bad bounces. One team was able to overcome the bad bounces and generate a win, while the other couldn't. Generally speaking, when this happens in the NFL, it is because the superior team is better able to overcome the "bad bounces." You can't make an excuse for GB sh!tting the bed on a bad bounce or 2 without also accounting for Seattle overcoming 4 terrible bounces to keep it a game.

In 8 quarters of play last year, the stats looked like this

Green Bay
Run Yds ---- 215
Pass Yds --- 346
Tot Yds ----- 561
First Downs-- 37
TOP ---------- 58:55*

Seattle
Run Yds---- 393
Pass Yds--- 315
Tot Yds ----- 708
First Downs -- 41
TOP --------- 62:16*

Giving an edge to Seattle as the better team last year.

I think one thing we can agree on, these are two very good teams who are amongst the cream of the current NFC crop and both will serve as one of the biggest obstacles faced by the other.

I have no problem with GB being ranked ahead. They are a great organization who has had a solid, if not flashy, offseason. Erin is coming back strong after last year's injury. They have made subtle upgrades in key positions. Hawk's had a flashy offseason with some major upgrades. There will be lingering questions about how the additions will fit in, about the health of our key secondary players and about the commitment of several of our defensive stars. These may prove to be unwarranted concerns, but not until after we have a few games under our belt.

One thing for certain, that game at Lambeau will be a key gauge for where these teams are after the offseason, and likely a key game in determining playoff seeding for both.

-bsd

* Per usual, the ESPN TOP stats for the 1st game add up to more than 60 minutes. I fixed the times for the NFCCG previously, but didn't do so for the first meeting.

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":139wei3j said:
ptisme":139wei3j said:
peachesenregalia":139wei3j said:
The Packers suck. They'll win 10 games this year in a crappy division, then lose in the wildcard round. I'll take any (non monetary) bet on that, too.
Non monetary.... How confident you are...

Yeah, if I had skin in this game I'd definitely take a bet on the side of the Packers making it past the WC round.
Right, because unless injury strikes Rodgers they won't be playing in it....

ptisme

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":11cpghs2 said:
ptisme":11cpghs2 said:
peachesenregalia":11cpghs2 said:
The Packers suck. They'll win 10 games this year in a crappy division, then lose in the wildcard round. I'll take any (non monetary) bet on that, too.

I'm extremely confident, but I just find that making monetary bets with total strangers on the internet is never a good thing. name any other bet you want. Tell me, who is the Packers' defensive coordinator?
If Seattle wins you can tell me to go home with my tail between my legs. My mantra has been "come to Lambeau"... You beat us here it's over, we are owned....
If the Packers win you can cut the superiority gig and admit these are two evenly matched teams.... Deal?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ptisme":gpn7riwb said:
peachesenregalia":gpn7riwb said:
ptisme":gpn7riwb said:
peachesenregalia":gpn7riwb said:

I'm extremely confident, but I just find that making monetary bets with total strangers on the internet is never a good thing. name any other bet you want. Tell me, who is the Packers' defensive coordinator?
If Seattle wins you can tell me to go home with my tail between my legs. My mantra has been "come to Lambeau"... You beat us here it's over, we are owned....
If the Packers win you can cut the superiority gig and admit these are two evenly matched teams.... Deal?

I agree with that too . . . just hope we run the damn ball down your throats from start to finish. :th2thumbs:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Rodgers is fantastic but it literally took Russell Wilson's worst half of football for that game to be close.

Unless the injuries at safety and corner hurt us early in the season, I think you're looking at having to win while scoring fewer than 20 points and that's just not something that usually works out against this SEA team.

2012-2014 GB vs SEA, 0-3. 2015? I see more of the same.

ptisme

Reaction score
[/quote]

Deal. But tell me, who is the Packers' defensive coordinator this season?[/quote]
Who's the only NFL team in history to three-peat?

ptisme

Reaction score
Laloosh":kpqgmvdc said:
Rodgers is fantastic but it literally took Russell Wilson's worst half of football for that game to be close.

Unless the injuries at safety and corner hurt us early in the season, I think you're looking at having to win while scoring fewer than 20 points and that's just not something that usually works out against this SEA team.

Is it possible Green Bay was playing well on defense or did Russ have just six completions well into the fourth quarter because he was inaccurate and not focused?

rideaducati

Reaction score
ptisme":14y47vq0 said:
Laloosh":14y47vq0 said:

Is it possible Green Bay was playing well on defense or did Russ have just six completions well into the fourth quarter because he was inaccurate and not focused?

I don't think it was anything the Packers did. It was like unforced errors in tennis.

rideaducati

Reaction score

Deal. But tell me, who is the Packers' defensive coordinator this season?[/quote]
Who's the only NFL team in history to three-peat?[/quote]

Your grandpa's Packers?

Laloosh

Reaction score
ptisme":3297vs45 said:
Laloosh":3297vs45 said:

I'm not opposed to the idea that GB's defense played well in the first half. How well would you say they were playing? They gave up 22 points in the 2nd half, is that because they played badly or Wilson was just amazing? Likely a bit of both right?

So whether they played a good 1st half of defense or Wilson was inaccurate/not focused, what's the difference? Even on his worst day, SEA comes out with the win... hence my prediction.

ptisme

Reaction score
rideaducati":j1uq9hfo said:

Deal. But tell me, who is the Packers' defensive coordinator this season?
Who's the only NFL team in history to three-peat?[/quote]

Your grandpa's Packers?[/quote]
Correct, the only NFL team to three peat was the Packers..... Next trivia question:
What years?

rideaducati

Reaction score
ptisme":oyp64vrr said:
rideaducati":oyp64vrr said:

Deal. But tell me, who is the Packers' defensive coordinator this season?
Who's the only NFL team in history to three-peat?

Your grandpa's Packers?[/quote]
Correct, the only NFL team to three peat was the Packers..... Next trivia question:
What years?[/quote]

Nobody here really cares, but it happened in the twenties and then in the late sixties.

How many Super Bowls have the Packers won WITHOUT a top 5 defense?

HansGruber

Reaction score
ptisme":3gc3md8s said:
peachesenregalia":3gc3md8s said:
ptisme":3gc3md8s said:
peachesenregalia":3gc3md8s said:

False bravado.

Your packers have been getting curb-stomped for years by every quality defense they face, especially the NFCW. One dimensional. We kept Rodgers to 177 yards and all you can do is brag about beating scrubs. Why don't you wait to beat a quality team before talking smack? Y'all have yet to beat the NFCW in a meaningful postseason game. You're like the Colts... fantasy chumps.

The saints and the packers are a joke. Beat somebody, fool. Until then, I'm just laughing. Most overrated soft weak team in the NFL. Nothing more than a walking breathing punching bag for the NFCW

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hans, why do you have to sugarcoat it with these opposing teams' fans? Always so easy on them.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Laloosh":3dknvuv3 said:
Hans, why do you have to sugarcoat it with these opposing teams' fans? Always so easy on them.
They bitches.

Straight up.

Cheese eatin bitches. Softer than a puppy wrapped up in cotton balls in a field of poppies. Softer than a silk tampon in a sugar bowl. Softer than your mom after watching The Notebook and having a 30-min heart to heart about her favorite Oprah book of the month.

I can't even think of something softer than green bay and its weak fans. I have more respect for whiners, at least they can win in the postseason a few times. Even if that happened 30 years ago.

ptisme

Reaction score
[/quote]
False bravado.

Your packers have been getting curb-stomped for years by every quality defense they face, especially the NFCW. One dimensional. We kept Rodgers to 177 yards and all you can do is brag about beating scrubs. Why don't you wait to beat a quality team before talking smack? Y'all have yet to beat the NFCW in a meaningful postseason game. You're like the Colts... fantasy chumps.

The saints and the packers are a joke. Beat somebody, fool. Until then, I'm just laughing. Most overrated soft weak team in the NFL. Nothing more than a walking breathing punching bag for the NFCW
[/quote]

You may be right. But after watching the Denver game I came away with this: If your offensive line is that soft up at Lambeau, Wilson may not make it to half time...

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
False bravado.

[/quote]

You may be right. But after watching the Denver game I came away with this: If your offensive line is that soft up at Lambeau, Wilson may not make it to half time...[/quote]

Way to gather that from a handful of snaps. In regards to Lacy, he has big games against poor run defenses and disappears against stout run defenses. In regards to your improved run defenses...GB's run defense looked stellar against poor running teams, but crumbled against the better rushing teams. That is after Matthews switched to ILB.

ptisme

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":ogfz5g3q said:
False bravado.

You may be right. But after watching the Denver game I came away with this: If your offensive line is that soft up at Lambeau, Wilson may not make it to half time...[/quote]

Way to gather that from a handful of snaps. In regards to Lacy, he has big games against poor run defenses and disappears against stout run defenses. In regards to your improved run defenses...GB's run defense looked stellar against poor running teams, but crumbled against the better rushing teams. That is after Matthews switched to ILB.[/quote]

RE Lacy: I think you could say the same about Lynch last year.
RE the Packers run D:
GB's defense certainly didn't stymie Murray or Beast mode. But it overall played well enough to win both games. I expect an improved run defense this year with Matthews and Barrington having an off season to learn the position, Clinton Dix improving at safety in year two, and the addition of BJ Raji on the Dlilne. Also second year man Mike Pennel has come on this off season as a force against the run too.... We'll see what happens... Two very good teams....

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
ptisme":dpi5wku4 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":dpi5wku4 said:
ptisme":dpi5wku4 said:
You may be right. But after watching the Denver game I came away with this: If your offensive line is that soft up at Lambeau, Wilson may not make it to half time...

Way to gather that from a handful of snaps. In regards to Lacy, he has big games against poor run defenses and disappears against stout run defenses. In regards to your improved run defenses...GB's run defense looked stellar against poor running teams, but crumbled against the better rushing teams. That is after Matthews switched to ILB.

RE Lacy: I think you could say the same about Lynch last year.
RE the Packers run D:
GB's defense certainly didn't stymie Murray or Beast mode. But it overall played well enough to win both games. I expect an improved run defense this year with Matthews and Barrington having an off season to learn the position, Clinton Dix improving at safety in year two, and the addition of BJ Raji on the Dlilne. Also second year man Mike Pennel has come on this off season as a force against the run too.... We'll see what happens... Two very good teams....

You couldn't say the same about Lynch. Check the stats.

Couple seasons ago packer nation was downplaying Raji, but now he is a missing piece. You will come to be frustrated by Matthews at ILB as you did with him at OLB when he freelances and loses his assignment. How does somebody become a force against the run in the off season?

Latest posts