NFL.com Power Rankings: Seahawks are #1 (UPDATED 9/8)

LolaRox

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3gwd2go9 said:
LolaRox":3gwd2go9 said:
I keep seeing people pick the Packers because they're bringing back all their players. Aren't these same players that couldn't get it done last year?

I don't have a problem with people picking GB but having 'all their players are returning' could make them better but it could also make them the same.

FWIW outside of Seattle I think folks generally think that the Packers were a better team in the NFCCG that just sh!t the bed on some really bad bounces.

I'm not saying this is correct, just relaying a general impression.

Regarding returning all of their players, he made two points which might relate to their ranking in relation to the Seahawks:

1) They're returning all their players, whereas the Hawks are plugging in two new starts along the O-Line, one on D-line, and one at CB. For a pre-season ranking, when you don't know how new starters will perform, it's pretty normal to make the conservative guess that returning starters are a benefit to an already good team.

2) He also included that the Packers don't have any major injuries anyone is coming back from, which also isn't true for the Hawks.

To be clear I couldn't care less about offseason power rankings and I'm not arguing that the Packers SHOULD be above the Seahawks, but I think his justification for why HE thinks they are at least makes sense, even if you don't agree with it.

Which team was better in the NFCCG is debatable and fans will always feel differently about it. The one thing that is not debatable - 'those' Packers had their chance and couldn't/didn't get it done.

I don't care about power rankings either I just find it interesting that that's the reason to pick the Packers as if they didn't have any weaknesses last year or that they're the only team that benefits from retaining players.

LolaRox

Reaction score
ptisme":6x26exad said:
LolaRox":6x26exad said:
I keep seeing people pick the Packers because they're bringing back all their players. Aren't these same players that couldn't get it done last year?

I don't have a problem with people picking GB but having 'all their players are returning' could make them better but it could also make them the same.
Here is the reason for optimism (which you are free to disagree with):
1. Keeping the same team and adding no one only means you'll get worse if you have an older team with no room for individual improvement. Green Bay had a NUMBER of first and second year players really coming on at the end of last year. When you have one of the youngest teams in the league, they will get better via development.
2. Continuity: As the season went on, GB had one of the top OLINES in the league with a rookie center and a second year LT. Another off season together should make this group even better. A lot can be said for five guys gaining game experience together re picking up blitzes and run assignments.
3. The defense: The middle of the Packers defense has been the achilles heel of the Packers for five years.
a. The Packers went from one of the worst run defenses in the league to one of the best when Clay Matthews moved inside. They plan to move him all around now so offenses will not know where he's coming from till the last second. He'll also have an actual off season to learn the position. Think he's not important to this defense? Look how Seattle was able to move the ball in the NFCCG after he got hurt....
b....
c....
d. BJ Raji. He's back from his biceps tear and has looked un-blockable in camp. With him, rising star Mike Daniels and the very effective LeTroy Guion, the Packers look to be very stout up front this year.
e....

Lastly, Packers fans feel that had they gotten to the super bowl they would have beaten New England. Seattle in Seattle has been a stumbling block for Green Bay so it's huge that we beat you here week two. You will disagree with this but Packers fans feel we will beat you at Lambeau which will put us a full game ahead of you in the standings and a leg up for home field... And we very much like our chances at Lambeau in January with a team that can finally run the ball and stop the run....

While I appreciate you taking the time to post your response to me, I stand by my original comment - just because a team retains all their players doesn't guarantee that the team will be better. You've made some points as to why you think it should and as a fan you should be hopeful. However, Packers aren't the only team that can benefit from development and continuity, all teams hope to gain improvement from those aspects.

1. I never said GB would be worse
2. I agree experience should make the OL better
3. Clay Matthews got hurt in the NFCCG? I thought he took himself out because he was exhausted (or maybe just butthurt :p ) BJ Raji?? I've heard that before.

As far as week 2, If the Packers are going to beat the Seahwawks, their best chance to do it will be in Lambeau. GB does play better at home, we'll just have to wait see if that 'better' is good enough. Also, even if Seattle loses wk 2 and that loss sets up a playoff rematch in Lambeau , the Hawks won't be afraid to return there. If however, GB loses wk 2, I believe that will be a huge blow to their psyche.

ptisme

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":36gp4s0m said:
ptisme":36gp4s0m said:
CurryStopstheRuns":36gp4s0m said:
ptisme":36gp4s0m said:
You may be right. But after watching the Denver game I came away with this: If your offensive line is that soft up at Lambeau, Wilson may not make it to half time...

Way to gather that from a handful of snaps. In regards to Lacy, he has big games against poor run defenses and disappears against stout run defenses. In regards to your improved run defenses...GB's run defense looked stellar against poor running teams, but crumbled against the better rushing teams. That is after Matthews switched to ILB.

RE Lacy: I think you could say the same about Lynch last year.
RE the Packers run D:
GB's defense certainly didn't stymie Murray or Beast mode. But it overall played well enough to win both games. I expect an improved run defense this year with Matthews and Barrington having an off season to learn the position, Clinton Dix improving at safety in year two, and the addition of BJ Raji on the Dlilne. Also second year man Mike Pennel has come on this off season as a force against the run too.... We'll see what happens... Two very good teams....

You couldn't say the same about Lynch. Check the stats.

Couple seasons ago packer nation was downplaying Raji, but now he is a missing piece. You will come to be frustrated by Matthews at ILB as you did with him at OLB when he freelances and loses his assignment. How does somebody become a force against the run in the off season?
I checked the stats.
Regarding Rsji he's n the shape of his life playing for a contract and at the position he Dominated at a few years ago
Regarding Matthews, his move there has been a resounding success

ptisme

Reaction score
LolaRox":3vo980ug said:
ptisme":3vo980ug said:
LolaRox":3vo980ug said:

Here is the reason for optimism (which you are free to disagree with):
1. Keeping the same team and adding no one only means you'll get worse if you have an older team with no room for individual improvement. Green Bay had a NUMBER of first and second year players really coming on at the end of last year. When you have one of the youngest teams in the league, they will get better via development.
2. Continuity: As the season went on, GB had one of the top OLINES in the league with a rookie center and a second year LT. Another off season together should make this group even better. A lot can be said for five guys gaining game experience together re picking up blitzes and run assignments.
3. The defense: The middle of the Packers defense has been the achilles heel of the Packers for five years.
a. The Packers went from one of the worst run defenses in the league to one of the best when Clay Matthews moved inside. They plan to move him all around now so offenses will not know where he's coming from till the last second. He'll also have an actual off season to learn the position. Think he's not important to this defense? Look how Seattle was able to move the ball in the NFCCG after he got hurt....
b....
c....
d. BJ Raji. He's back from his biceps tear and has looked un-blockable in camp. With him, rising star Mike Daniels and the very effective LeTroy Guion, the Packers look to be very stout up front this year.
e....

Lastly, Packers fans feel that had they gotten to the super bowl they would have beaten New England. Seattle in Seattle has been a stumbling block for Green Bay so it's huge that we beat you here week two. You will disagree with this but Packers fans feel we will beat you at Lambeau which will put us a full game ahead of you in the standings and a leg up for home field... And we very much like our chances at Lambeau in January with a team that can finally run the ball and stop the run....

While I appreciate you taking the time to post your response to me, I stand by my original comment - just because a team retains all their players doesn't guarantee that the team will be better. You've made some points as to why you think it should and as a fan you should be hopeful. However, Packers aren't the only team that can benefit from development and continuity, all teams hope to gain improvement from those aspects.

1. I never said GB would be worse
2. I agree experience should make the OL better
3. Clay Matthews got hurt in the NFCCG? I thought he took himself out because he was exhausted (or maybe just butthurt :p ) BJ Raji?? I've heard that before.

As far as week 2, If the Packers are going to beat the Seahwawks, their best chance to do it will be in Lambeau. GB does play better at home, we'll just have to wait see if that 'better' is good enough. Also, even if Seattle loses wk 2 and that loss sets up a playoff rematch in Lambeau , the Hawks won't be afraid to return there. If however, GB loses wk 2, I believe that will be a huge blow to their psyche.
I agree it would be a huge blow. This game is important for both teams but even more so for the Packers for that reason. And I agree Seattle wouldn't be afraid to come back if they lost.

titan3131

Reaction score
Packers guy keeps talking up lambeau field as if they have some amazing record there.

Im pretty sure the 49's have made that frozen hell hole their B^*CH and curb stompd you guys the past couple years.

2012 was the weakest seahawks team you will see and if not for a BS penalty it wouldnt have needed Tate to be chosen by god to make rodgers panties get all in a bunch.

You guys lost to buffalo saint lion and us. And you should have lost to the cowturds @ home.

And you didnt deserve the nfccg because Clay is a little puss who cant even play a full 60 minutes, he was too confident after laying dirty hits out that his team wouldnt lose so he could sit on the sideline and play with his hair.

#truth

ptisme

Reaction score
titan3131":1rn7b9jl said:
Packers guy keeps talking up lambeau field as if they have some amazing record there.

Im pretty sure the 49's have made that frozen hell hole their B^*CH and curb stompd you guys the past couple years.

2012 was the weakest seahawks team you will see and if not for a BS penalty it wouldnt have needed Tate to be chosen by god to make rodgers panties get all in a bunch.

You guys lost to buffalo saint lion and us. And you should have lost to the cowturds @ home.

And you didnt deserve the nfccg because Clay is a little puss who cant even play a full 60 minutes, he was too confident after laying dirty hits out that his team wouldnt lose so he could sit on the sideline and play with his hair.

#truth
Packers fans don't feel the need to belittle other teams when we talk on forums.... Probably part of the culture of winning for so many years... Carry on....

dutchman063

Reaction score
I can see them putting Packers first, face it, they should of won that game last year had they not killed themselves half a dozen times in that game.. and Im not completely sold on Graham... yet... out Oline is questionable and we lost some key players

titan3131

Reaction score
ptisme":1lftcu3b said:
titan3131":1lftcu3b said:

#truth
Packers fans don't feel the need to belittle other teams when we talk on forums.... Probably part of the culture of winning for so many years... Carry on....

Keep living in your fantasy world. The hawks will be here to continue knocking you down to the reality is that you cant beat a good defense.

gb loses 6 games this year watch.

Exittium

Reaction score
Well this thread went pretty different. I like to read stuff that our opposing fan bases say, and we have quiet a few that are pretty respectful, such as ptisme. Let not ruin a great thing here. :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
Laloosh":32iye15b said:
If I ever find value in the opinion(s) of Elliot Harrison, please kick me in the nuts.

I just had to reiterate how I feel about Harrison's opinion regardless of who he puts at #1.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Exittium":lkf8kbbd said:
Well this thread went pretty different. I like to read stuff that our opposing fan bases say, and we have quiet a few that are pretty respectful, such as ptisme. Let not ruin a great thing here. :D
Agreed. ptisme is a pretty good fellow who doesn't get too homerish. I had to wince at some of our guys on this thread though.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Just did a quick run down of the Rankings for this week. CBS is the only flyer, Prisco clearly hates us! :stirthepot:

Week 1 power Rankings
NFL.com
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. Indianapolis
4. New England

Fox Sports
1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. New England
4. Green Bay

Yahoo Sports
1. Seattle
2. New England
3. Green Bay
4. Indianapolis

ESPN
1. Seattle
2. New England
3. Green Bay.
4. Indianapolis

Bleacher Report
1. New England
2. Indianapolis
3. Seattle
4. Green Bay

SB Nation
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. New England
4. Denver

CBS Sports
1. Green Bay
2. New England
3. Dallas
4. Pittsburgh
9. Seattle

davidonmi

Reaction score
I don't usually buy the "he just hates us" narrative but I do truly believe prisco is angry about being wrong about the Seahawks and wants them to fail.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Cool season preview from ESPN:

Seahawks' percentage chance to win each game
Sept. 13 @ Rams: 60.3
Sept. 20 @ Green Bay: 41.1
Sept. 27 vs. Chicago: 77.8
Oct. 5 vs. Detroit: 72.3
Oct. 11 @ Cincinnati: 54.5
Oct. 18 vs. Carolina: 68.4
Oct. 22 @ San Francisco: 63.7
Nov. 1 @ Dallas: 50.0
Nov. 15 vs. Arizona: 69.1
Nov. 22 vs. San Francisco: 73.4
Nov. 29 vs. Pittsburgh: 65.1
Dec. 6 @ Minnesota: 59.8
Dec. 13 @ Baltimore: 50.8
Dec. 20 vs. Cleveland: 80.0
Dec. 27 vs. St. Louis: 72.8
Jan. 3 @ Arizona: 54.5

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... e-seahawks

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The very last power ranking that doesn't mean a single damn. Only after actual games being played it starts making sense, right now it's just a glorified prediction.

They could put Oakland at #1 right now and there is nothing to really disprove them. We'll see if we're still atop of the list next week (Let's hope so at least).

Overseasfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":6y3dim5x said:
Cool season preview from ESPN:

Seahawks' percentage chance to win each game
Sept. 13 @ Rams: 60.3
Sept. 20 @ Green Bay: 41.1
Sept. 27 vs. Chicago: 77.8
Oct. 5 vs. Detroit: 72.3
Oct. 11 @ Cincinnati: 54.5
Oct. 18 vs. Carolina: 68.4
Oct. 22 @ San Francisco: 63.7
Nov. 1 @ Dallas: 50.0
Nov. 15 vs. Arizona: 69.1
Nov. 22 vs. San Francisco: 73.4
Nov. 29 vs. Pittsburgh: 65.1
Dec. 6 @ Minnesota: 59.8
Dec. 13 @ Baltimore: 50.8
Dec. 20 vs. Cleveland: 80.0
Dec. 27 vs. St. Louis: 72.8
Jan. 3 @ Arizona: 54.5

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... e-seahawks

If we actually win the games they expect us to win we'd be 14-2 or 15-1. I'll take it.

Latest posts