NFL does it again

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":t4k8qq41 said:
The_Z_Man":t4k8qq41 said:
When I saw the "America's Team" special on NFL films, I realized it's over.

I looked at the schedule, ... totally favorable. the fact that their Thursday game just happened to follow another Thursday game.

The Cowboys are absolutely winning the Superbowl this year.

The Giants or Seahawks will smack them in the playoffs. No worries.
Or Atlanta who might be able to put a 50 burger on that crap defense.

253hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1a91dw90 said:
I feel like facemask and contact to he head of the QB should be reviewable. It's not really subjective, it's an objective call. It's no different than if a player is inbounds or not. The player either has two feet in or not. The defensive player either made contact with the QB's head or not.

I'm curious to see if it will be a $15,000 fine like Earl's was against Tannehill.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":157ke4gg said:
Scroll down and you can see the play. Probably doesn't affect the outcome so from a "let them play stand point" I would be good with the no call. From a player safety stand point and the whole point of that rule? Yep, it's a joke just like we figured.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowbo ... s-to-know/
Pretty pathetic when the national media is all over the Cowboys jock and justifying bad calls - no calls that benefit Jerruh's kids, because well, they are *allas. I expect that from scrotes like Deano Blandino and Rog Goodell, I expect the national media would take a more neutral stance at worst.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
253hawk":1wc7yxc4 said:
Hawk-Lock":1wc7yxc4 said:
I feel like facemask and contact to he head of the QB should be reviewable. It's not really subjective, it's an objective call. It's no different than if a player is inbounds or not. The player either has two feet in or not. The defensive player either made contact with the QB's head or not.

I'm curious to see if it will be a $15,000 fine like Earl's was against Tannehill.
Don't count on it. It's a cowboy....... no blood no penalty and no fine.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
cymatica":2io7cs2i said:
getnasty":2io7cs2i said:
I believe refs miss plenty of calls and there's no question about that, but if I actually thought that they did that on purpose I'd never watch another game. Do you guys truly believe it's rigged? I do think if the shoes was on the other foot, Dak got hit and the Cowboys lost that people wouldn stop playing it on espn.

I don't think just missing calls explains why one team never gets a holding call while the other gets totally screwed in penalty discrepancy and missed calls. The saints game this year is just one example.

I find it easier to believe they are steering games in a certain direction or at least giving advantages to certain teams in games, than sheer ineptitude. If the officials were really as incompetent in an innocent way as they have been, then the nfl would have done something about it a long time ago.
(A) It's not TEAMS that get preferential treatment, it's PLAYERS (see the LEGAL hit Amhad Brooks did on Drew Brees in 2013 or 14 that caused a game clinching fumble, which was called roughing the qb just because Brooks smeared him in the chest; or the abuse Newton gets).

(B) It is NOT some league planned thing. It's subconscious. Refs see guys they like, or guys they feel beed extra protection (say, Manning or Brees) and they will throw the flag.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":19lxbk5x said:
HawkGA":19lxbk5x said:
Scroll down and you can see the play. Probably doesn't affect the outcome so from a "let them play stand point" I would be good with the no call. From a player safety stand point and the whole point of that rule? Yep, it's a joke just like we figured.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowbo ... s-to-know/
Pretty pathetic when the national media is all over the Cowboys jock and justifying bad calls - no calls that benefit Jerruh's kids, because well, they are *allas. I expect that from scrotes like Deano Blandino and Rog Goodell, I expect the national media would take a more neutral stance at worst.
Well if anything that game shows what will happen when they play a team with a real defense that isn't among the worst offenses in the league. They will lose, long before the Super Bowl.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
5_Golden_Rings":3287jw72 said:
cymatica":3287jw72 said:
getnasty":3287jw72 said:
I believe refs miss plenty of calls and there's no question about that, but if I actually thought that they did that on purpose I'd never watch another game. Do you guys truly believe it's rigged? I do think if the shoes was on the other foot, Dak got hit and the Cowboys lost that people wouldn stop playing it on espn.

I don't think just missing calls explains why one team never gets a holding call while the other gets totally screwed in penalty discrepancy and missed calls. The saints game this year is just one example.

I find it easier to believe they are steering games in a certain direction or at least giving advantages to certain teams in games, than sheer ineptitude. If the officials were really as incompetent in an innocent way as they have been, then the nfl would have done something about it a long time ago.
(A) It's not TEAMS that get preferential treatment, it's PLAYERS (see the LEGAL hit Amhad Brooks did on Drew Brees in 2013 or 14 that caused a game clinching fumble, which was called roughing the qb just because Brooks smeared him in the chest; or the abuse Newton gets).

(B) It is NOT some league planned thing. It's subconscious. Refs see guys they like, or guys they feel beed extra protection (say, Manning or Brees) and they will throw the flag.

Yep. A ton of it is subconscious. Can't say all the love for America's Team™ doesn't rub off on bandwaggoners and well, anyone in general. Including refs, which are just otherwise normal dudes in real life.

But the thing that gets confusing to some is that "steering games" one way or another because of an intended or desired outcome isn't nearly the same as outright rigging games. People see games which are clearly steered one way or the other, whether subconsciously or on purpose, and they scream that the refs are rigging the games. It's not outright rigged. Certain outcomes are just desired more than others, and games are steered that way, many times successfully.

In the end, does it matter whether games are outright rigged or just steered the "right" way? Heh. I suppose it's the difference between getting screwed and getting, well, you know.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
II like to think I'm a reasonably reasonable fan of the game but lately the games are all about the refereeing instead of the football.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":g3uzey04 said:
The_Z_Man":g3uzey04 said:
When I saw the "America's Team" special on NFL films, I realized it's over.

I looked at the schedule, ... totally favorable. the fact that their Thursday game just happened to follow another Thursday game.

The Cowboys are absolutely winning the Superbowl this year.
The only way they do is if they get some serious help like tonight every playoff game.
Mark Cuban is right, this league will be on life support in 10 years if they don't fix their officiating/game steering problem.

The NBA has the most dubious officiating of any league. Now with constant going to replay, replay flagrant fouls etc. did he swing his arms blah blah. Star treatment for years, refs with huge egos who make it about them. it is even more unwatchable for me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As to that Bradford play, sure he got hit on the head, but that was after the principal blow was to his shoulder pads. It was Bradford after all, and the whole of America knew he was going to choke on that 2 point conversion. Frankly I could care less, However, it was a missed call but not that egregious.

What is pissing me off, is the games are being interferred with by the referees; and slowly it's becoming about them instead of the football. It starting to be so noticeable that many besides this poster are saying similar things. In the end I guess we all want accurate refereeing and it seems the NFL are dinosaurs in that regard. The rule book is set up to favour the O and punish the D, it is unfair and somewhat arbitrary while being unreasonably subjective in interpretation. The whole rule book needs some parsing down and simplification.

The league is shooting itself in the foot with their non-professional refereeing for the professional game. This leads to incredible inconsistency in calls from crew to crew, and repeated challenges to the credibility of game after game. Funny but college football is far better at getting the calls right, I wonder why that is?

I genuinely believe the league wants to keep things this way but it is now starting to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. For sure fans are starting to turn it off as the seeming biases sometimes are interfering with apparent fairness. Somehow I think this issue will eventually slowly end the game we have known and come to love.

Sorry for my rant.

cymatica

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":icd61n82 said:
cymatica":icd61n82 said:
getnasty":icd61n82 said:

That may be true in some instances, but there are so many examples with other players. If it's just players that certain crews like or dislike, then why is it nearly impossible for our d-line to get a holding call, despite very obvious holds? How did the whole saints team get special treatment. Or the obvious false starts missed. There are just too many bad calls/missed calls all over the place to say it's just some players.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
cymatica":2035pdjk said:
5_Golden_Rings":2035pdjk said:
cymatica":2035pdjk said:
getnasty":2035pdjk said:

That may be true in some instances, but there are so many examples with other players. If it's just players that certain crews like or dislike, then why is it nearly impossible for our d-line to get a holding call, despite very obvious holds? How did the whole saints team get special treatment. Or the obvious false starts missed. There are just too many bad calls/missed calls all over the place to say it's just some players.
That was the "Steering"that was mentioned above..I hate it,it really sucks and as others have mentioned the fans will leave the more this goes on.

Hawks46

Reaction score
getnasty":pa2771ps said:

How about because the NFL places one referee right behind the QB for the specific purpose of QB safety and watching the OL and DL for holding and hands to the face.

Seriousy, ONE guy, RIGHt behind the QB. How do you miss that unless it's on purpose ?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ca5oi71 said:
getnasty":2ca5oi71 said:

How about because the NFL places one referee right behind the QB for the specific purpose of QB safety and watching the OL and DL for holding and hands to the face.

Seriousy, ONE guy, RIGHt behind the QB. How do you miss that unless it's on purpose ?

Actually two

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What people believe shapes what they see and do. Psychosomatic effects are very real. I'm pretty sure virtually no officials purposely blow calls, but there are external factors that affect whether they throw flags in various situations.

WillySchu

Reaction score
cymatica":19j3rf7i said:
The nfl is becoming more like smoking, I'm still addicted but eventually I'll quit when my lungs have had enough.

This is, I think, the most accurate description about how I feel w/r/t the NFL right now. Well done.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2j97s9oh said:
If you watched the entire game the cowboys had plenty of penalties called on them. Many of them calling back real big plays. I watched the game and never thought the refs were trying to steer the game at all and I hate the cowboys.
He just didn't see the facemask pure and simple.

Watched this game too, and I had the exact same takeaway.

Collinsworth did a good job of explaining how it got missed too, and quite frankly it's an incredibly stupid rule and wish the refs always missed it. :lol:

TBH in any context beyond people advocating for a media conspiracy (or NFL conspiracy) against their team, I think it's safe to say that in a vacuum (read: save for moments it's not benefiting their team) practically every NFL fan HATES the QB helmet rule on plays like that.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Oh, and for people claiming that sports media is ignoring this, huh?

Every major sports media outlet (ESPN; FoxSports; CBS Sports: SB Nation; even friggin' NFL.com :lol:) made the titles of their articles about the non-call in their summaries of that game. C'mon now. :roll:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dall ... ott-120216

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/1/13815 ... lmet-video

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look- ... two-calls/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-overtime

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1818 ... as-cowboys

fenderbender123

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember, referees in all sports have missed calls. Lots of them. With better quality visuals, more cameras, the internet, social media, etc it's just become a lot easier to notice. I don't think the quality of officiating has dropped one bit. If anything, it's gotten better over the years.