NFL Teams honor contracts

kobebryant

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":f3sh2wom said:
When a player produces and the team pays below value for that production, indeed a player has overperformed his contract.

Again, you have to consider the typical cost on the free market for production. If Russell Wilson was placed onto the free market right now, he wouldn't make only 817,302, which is the value of his contract for this year. He would be given an AAV of 20M a year rather than 650K a year because teams value QB production like his at about 20M a year.

You are starting with incorrect premises about how teams make business decisions, unfortunately.

Excellent post.

I'll also add that running back in the NFL is one of the stranger workload/value dichotomies in any profession. Essentially, the volume of excellent work Marshawn has done for his employer over the past year and the volume of excellent work he is likely to do this upcoming year for his employer significantly diminishes his earning capacity on the open market.

Dudes in their late 20s who have been amongst the best in the world at their job over the past few years are generally in a position to cash in when they hit the open market, that's not the case for Marshawn; so I don't blame him for trying to maximize his earnings while his skill is still valued.

If I knew that my functional skill (or my degree) that I use to earn money would no longer be of any value to an employer around the age of 30 or so I'd be trying to get as much as possible too.

themunn

Reaction score
impacthawk":ozs55juz said:
Can you all imagine how the world would look if we all got to do what Lynch is doing right now? Not good.

Everyone in the world has the opportunity to go to their boss and say "I'm leaving if I don't get more money".

More often than not your boss will say "see ya later", which is exactly what Pete and John are doing right now, but in cases where actually, that's a guy you can't afford to lose, the company will pay up or watch you walk out the door.

The real question right now is whether Lynch will pony up and walk out the door if he doesn't get what he wants. I think he will.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2v3pokd7 said:
Unfortunately for Lynch, it sounds like Carroll and Schneider are prepared to play hardball. That is the tone you have to set going into these negotiations. The best case scenario, IMO, would be to restructure Lynch's deal to move all or part of the $2 million roster bonus he was set to receive next season into this year's salary. That would give Lynch more money upfront without actually increasing the size of his deal. It would also make Lynch's 2015 cap hit more palatable, alleviating some of his concerns that the team would release him after this year.

I love this plan. If Lynch would go for it, this would be a great move, IMO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
What I'm hearing from some here is, that Lynch's signature on his contract is invalid, and he shouldn't really have to live by it.
I love what the guy brings to the battlefield, but if he isn't happy with the negotiated contract and never intended to stand by his decision when he did sign the damned thing, why waste the time and energy with negotiations in the first place.
I don't know about Y'all, but whenever I've signed a contract ,I never had the luxury of being able to tell the guys on the other end to stuff it up their wogtoosh if I had a re-think about my signature, cuz I know they'd foreclose, kick my ass out of my house, or come and take my car back PLUS I'd still have to pay for the remainder of the monies in that contract that I agreed on and signed.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
scutterhawk":3jwa4hym said:
What I'm hearing from some here is, that Lynch's signature on his contract is invalid, and he shouldn't really have to live by it.
I love what the guy brings to the battlefield, but if he isn't happy with the negotiated contract and never intended to stand by his decision when he did sign the damned thing, why waste the time and energy with negotiations in the first place.
I don't know about Y'all, but whenever I've signed a contract ,I never had the luxury of being able to tell the guys on the other end to stuff it up their wogtoosh if I had a re-think about my signature, cuz I know they'd foreclose, kick my ass out of my house, or come and take my car back PLUS I'd still have to pay for the remainder of the monies in that contract that I agreed on and signed.

You signing a mortgage is not correlative in the least to a football player signing a contract to play for a team, first of all.

Second of all, Lynch is living by the contract. He has the right to hold out and eat the fine money under his contract.

Third of all, we don't know what Lynch ever intended to stand by or not stand by, so let's not make assumptions.

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1a07xyd4 said:
Donn2390":1a07xyd4 said:
We Don’t Negotiate with Terrorists!!
Next Man Up.....

We did two years ago with Chris Clemons.
We hadn't already given Clem an extension/raise, and we had the cap room to pay him more.

We have the opposite situation with Marshawn. He already got his new, bigger contract two years ago and we can't give him more than that without losing someone else next year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2mvm9v6q said:
I don't know about Y'all, but whenever I've signed a contract ,I never had the luxury of being able to tell the guys on the other end to stuff it up their PAPAKI if I had a re-think about my signature, cuz I know they'd foreclose, kick my ass out of my house, or come and take my car back PLUS I'd still have to pay for the remainder of the monies in that contract that I agreed on and signed.

Fixed it .......

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":9bkknapl said:
scutterhawk":9bkknapl said:

You signing a mortgage is not correlative in the least to a football player signing a contract to play for a team, first of all.

Second of all, Lynch is living by the contract. He has the right to hold out and eat the fine money under his contract.

Third of all, we don't know what Lynch ever intended to stand by or not stand by, so let's not make assumptions.

My bad, I always thought that a contract is a contract.
I didn't realize that you could ignore the things that you don't like, even if you did agree, and signed your name to it.
if he's going to be fined, then I just assumed that he was in breech of his legal obligation of the contract ...go figure.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2nqwnu2i said:
Smelly McUgly":2nqwnu2i said:
scutterhawk":2nqwnu2i said:

I didn't realize that you could ignore the things that you don't like, even if you did agree, and signed your name to it.
if he's going to be fined, then I just assumed that he was in breech of his legal obligation of the contract ...go figure.

Well, no offense, but what you thought is clearly incorrect because Lynch can sit out under the current CBA if he wants to eat the fines.

mikeak

Reaction score
Now Lynch should honor his contract
Now NFL players gets paid for their past performance
Next year - Cut Lynch he is getting old, RBs never last, save the money

Ok I got it

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2lm17h3x said:
scutterhawk":2lm17h3x said:
Smelly McUgly":2lm17h3x said:
scutterhawk":2lm17h3x said:

Well, no offense, but what you thought is clearly incorrect because Lynch can sit out under the current CBA if he wants to eat the fines.
Not incorrect AT ALL, if he is LEGALLY being fined for ILLEGALLY breeching his contract.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1fdkrt3q said:
Smelly McUgly":1fdkrt3q said:
scutterhawk":1fdkrt3q said:
Smelly McUgly":1fdkrt3q said:

Not incorrect AT ALL, if he is LEGALLY being fined for ILLEGALLY breeching his contract.

With all due respect, your idea that he is illegally breaching his contract is wrongheaded. If he were illegally breaching his contract, the team would sue him. Do you see him getting sued? No? Exactly. Written into the CBA are rules that say that Lynch can indeed hold out in exchange for fines. What he is doing is perfectly "legal" under the current CBA.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Which is why this situation IS analogous to every other sort of contract. Defining under what situations a contract can dissolve and what fines are assessed at the time is part of ANY contract structure, and paying those fines to terminate the contract early is following it to the letter, not illegally breaking it (which would end up in court).

Do you know what they call employment contracts that do not have clauses covering early departure?

sc85sis

Reaction score
AgentDib":yhdfyjhq said:
Which is why this situation IS analogous to every other sort of contract. Defining under what situations a contract can dissolve and what fines are assessed at the time is part of ANY contract structure, and paying those fines to terminate the contract early is following it to the letter, not illegally breaking it (which would end up in court).

Do you know what they call employment contracts that do not have clauses covering early departure?
Indentured servitude?

rigelian

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3rcyqikq said:

First of all, all a contract is a piece of paper that defines a relation between parties that can legally be enforced. It is a civil relation that can legally be breeched.

You don't "honor" contracts you fulfill them.

As far as Lynch is concerned his contract is a creature of himself, the Seahawks front office, the NFLPA, and the NFL.

As per the agreement, Lynch can hold out, if he is willing to pay fines (as per the agreement), ownership can cut him, trade him or renegotiate (as per the agreement). All of this is by design. The design keeps either party from taking advantage of each other. All of these things are a part of the relationship defined by the contract.

There is nothing "illegal" in holding out. There is no dishonor in using the economic tools available to you "under the contract" to get a better deal.

Those of you trying to turn this into some kind of moral failing don't know what you're talking about.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rigelian":c66fse9z said:
scutterhawk":c66fse9z said:

First of all, all a contract is a piece of paper that defines a relation between parties that can legally be enforced. It is a civil relation that can legally be breeched.

As far as Lynch is concerned his contract is a creature of himself, the Seahawks front office, the NFLPA, and the NFL.

As per the agreement, Lynch can hold out, if he is willing to pay fines (as per the agreement), ownership can cut him, trade him or renegotiate (as per the agreement). All of this is by design. The design keeps either party from taking advantage of each other. All of these things are a part of the relationship defined by the contract.

There is nothing "illegal" in holding out. There is no dishonor in using the economic tools available to you "under the contract" to get a better deal.

Those of you trying to turn this into some kind of moral failing don't know what you're talking about.
This much I do believe....... his greed isn't going to net him more money from the Seahawks, and greed is a moral failing.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
scutterhawk":myzebt8n said:
rigelian":myzebt8n said:
scutterhawk":myzebt8n said:

This much I do believe....... his greed isn't going to net him more money from the Seahawks, and greed is a moral failing.

So is sitting in judgment of others.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":197trllh said:
scutterhawk":197trllh said:
rigelian":197trllh said:
scutterhawk":197trllh said:

So is sitting in judgment of others.
Well Mr. holy, this place is FULL of people that are "Sitting In Judgment Of Others", INCLUDING YOU.