NFL to hold private Saturday workout for Kaepernick

Osprey

Reaction score
chris98251":330smq50 said:
They wanted him to sign some paperwork that was totally outside the normal scope (NFL) to do his work out in Atlanta which he would not do so he moved it to a non NFL facility.

The NFL also would not let him have a independent film crew there also.

That’s the inescapable conclusion from the assertion, as made by Kaepernick’s lawyer and Kaepernick’s agent, that the NFL demanded that he sign a broad waiver, including a waiver of potential employment claims.
Let that one sink in. The league, under the guise of acting out of the goodness of its own heart and/or to assuage the guilt of 32 months of Kaepernick being wrongfully denied an opportunity, set up a workout for all teams (even though any team could work him out at any time) and then, as he showed up for it, asked him to sign a waiver that not only protected the league and the Falcons against a torn ACL or some other injury that could have happened during the workout but also exonerated the league of any and all responsibility for the violations of his rights that may have (have) occurred since he grievance was settled in February.

By moving the workout off site he was able to have the work out with out that liability paperwork from the league.

“From the outset, Mr. Kaepernick requested a legitimate process and from the outset the NFL league office has not provided one,” the statement said. “Most recently, the NFL has demanded that as a precondition to the workout, Mr. Kaepernick sign an unusual liability waiver that addresses employment-related issues and rejected the standard liability waiver from physical injury proposed by Mr. Kaepernick’s representatives. Additionally, Mr. Kaepernick requested all media be allowed into the workout to observe and film it and for an independent film crew to be there to ensure transparency. The NFL denied this request.”
NFL claims it was their Combine waiver which makes a lot of sense. They offered to provide the raw footage from their film crew and allow Nike to film a fricking commercial. Anyway you slice it they were willing to go above and beyond how any other free agent has been treated.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...atement-on-change-to-colin-kaepernick-workout

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":13x1te4o said:
Mike Florio (a law school grad himself) looked at what the NFL wanted Kaep to sign: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... aepernick/

The sticking point is that the language might indemnify the NFL or teams from being sued based on anything they did as a direct/indirect result of the workout.

But a Kaep lawsuit had less than a chance in hell anyway. The grievances were settled just this year. He's made MORE than most backup QBs. Whatever the NFL's motives were, they still paid for the tryout. They got 25 teams to show up to see him AND talk to him.

Kaep stood them up.

Worse than that, The teams that showed up wasted time, money, and assets to be stood up. I dont think Dramaboy gets another chance.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
As for what evaluators saw from Kaepernick, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, per sources, provided a consensus scouting report.

» There were 60 scripted throws, no runs, no agility work. He was in good shape, as we thought he'd be. Arm strength was definitely still there and he had some real zip on the ball. But he had some accuracy issues on his deep throws. Good enough to be on a roster, likely backup level.

» He was in good shape and he has a fastball. The velocity was real good. Accuracy and touch were inconsistent. On deep balls, he was ordinary. He can still run well. Essentially average overall.

» Good velocity. Accuracy and touch were average.

» Good showing. Thought he looked like he did when he was last on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ta-workout

pehawk

Reaction score
I dont blame the NFL or Kap.

NFL wanted to provide cover to its teams, making it that they didnt have to specifically face backlash for passing after a private workout. And Kap protected himself in a situation where his distrust of the NFL may be justified (or at least understood).

Each side protected their own interests as any of us would.

Osprey

Reaction score
What baffles me is why the hell would the NFL book the workout without having every detail lined out and legally nailed down. They already know he's litigious given they just settled a lawsuit with him.

Amazingly enough 8 teams attended his private workout so it's still possible he gets signed. I'd love to see him in a Lions uni just so I can make fun of one of my work buddies :snack:

pehawk

Reaction score
Osprey":t5dck2ds said:
What baffles me is why the hell would the NFL book the workout without having every detail lined out and legally nailed down. They already know he's litigious given they just settled a lawsuit with him.

Amazingly enough 8 teams attended his private workout so it's still possible he gets signed. I'd love to see him in a Lions uni just so I can make fun of one of my work buddies :snack:

I think he'd be the best QB on the Bears right now. And I'm not big on his play.

Whole thing was a disaster and each side only succeeded in making themselves look petty.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":35uf9h2y said:

NFL wanted to provide cover to its teams, making it that they didnt have to specifically face backlash for passing after a private workout. And Kap protected himself in a situation where his distrust of the NFL may be justified (or at least understood).

I blame Kaep.

whatever the NFL's interest were, the fact that it was a league workout got 25 teams to send scouts. Including us.

We already tried with Kaep just last year, but we were still willing to see what he had left in a Combine/Pro Day environment.

If Kaep wanted his own, he should have said so before wasting the Hawks' time and money let alone that of other teams and the league.

So he didn't want to sign this contract? What has he preserved, his own rights to sue the Hawks since our scouts wouldn't follow him to a HS field?

pehawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1zflizoh said:
pehawk":1zflizoh said:

I blame Kaep.

whatever the NFL's interest were, the fact that it was a league workout got 25 teams to send scouts. Including us.

We already tried with Kaep just last year, but we were still willing to see what he had left in a Combine/Pro Day environment.

If Kaep wanted his own, he should have said so before wasting the Hawks' time and money let alone that of other teams and the league.

So he didn't want to sign this contract? What has he preserved, his own rights to sue the Hawks since our scouts wouldn't follow him to a HS field?

Cool

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pehawk":1glsvnu1 said:
Osprey":1glsvnu1 said:

I think he'd be the best QB on the Bears right now. And I'm not big on his play.

Whole thing was a disaster and each side only succeeded in making themselves look petty.

Yeah, not sure what Kaeps end game was. He's not going to draw sympathy, so playing indignant seemed a poor move.

If he really is desperate to play and not just poke they eye of the nfl them just show up and throw.

I don't mind/care about the protests. The anger it caused seems misplaced either way. But if he wants to play he just needs to get on with it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1l1h6j7j said:
pehawk":1l1h6j7j said:
Osprey":1l1h6j7j said:

Yeah, not sure what Kaeps end game was. He's not going to draw sympathy, so playing indignant seemed a poor move.

If he really is desperate to play and not just like they eye of the nfl them just show up and throw.

I don't mind/care about the protests. The anger it caused seems misplaced either way. But if he wants to play he just needs to get on with it.

Still alot of distrust of one another. Which is why I dont blame either side. This is their relationship now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pehawk":2kjgyhpo said:
Uncle Si":2kjgyhpo said:
pehawk":2kjgyhpo said:
Osprey":2kjgyhpo said:

If he really is desperate to play and not just like they eye of the nfl them just show up and throw.

Still alot of distrust of one another. Which is why I dont blame either side. This is their relationship now.

That makes sense. But Feel like Kaep doesn't have any leverage though

pehawk

Reaction score
Kap utilized whatever leverage he had yesterday. Which, again, any of us would in that situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
Given the misinformation the NFL has continued to put out about the situation from the beginning, they the NFL invited Kaep to work out, unusual to begin with, second given the situation about misinformation by the NFL and owners and Goodell staying away like it is his ex wife from this topic another kind of red flag, the unusual stipulations in the work out waiver another warning sign if Kaep practices in the Atlanta Falcons facility along with only their video equipment allowed.

If you see them setting the dinner table in the wolf's den and your the guest of honor I would be a bit hesitant to walk in without a fall back plan also, he moved it to a place he could feel more relaxed and have video of the session that was not NFL controlled.

The whole thing is about equality and never was a disrespect issue with the Military and that line of propaganda, the National anthem protest was towards the flag and what it stands for equality and justice for all.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He wants (ostensibly) to work for an NFL team though. If he was uncomfortable with it, he should have said on Tuesday no thanks and announced his own workout place THEN.

He didn't, because he knows no one would have gone. Instead, he RSVP'ed to their party and larped on getting them to organize getting the teams there plus the coaches/vid guys/equipment guys.

With all those guys there, someone would have gone to Schefter "per source" and leaked how they thought the tryout went. Plus the NFL was going to give him the raw footage anyway. They'd agreed to let Kaep use the event as an advertising opportunity.

So what if the NFL took extra steps to try to NOT get sued over this again? He just settled with them this year.

I just don't get how this makes Kaep the oppressed one here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Stephen A. said Kaep showed up with a t-shirt on that alluded to slavery. Anyone know what it said?

When you're supposedly trying to get back into your career, you don't do shit like that. Period.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Washington49er":1m5yn5w2 said:
rcaido":1m5yn5w2 said:
Washington49er":1m5yn5w2 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1m5yn5w2 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076364/article/nfl-arranges-workout-for-colin-kaepernick-in-atlanta

This is unprecedented. Why would the league itself host a private showing for one player who last played almost three years ago? Does this not single him out?

AFA Kaep's qb skills, yes I think he might still have enough in the tank to be a backup. He's not the only one who last played a while ago and/or isn't starter material. His SF backup Colt McCoy is still on a roster.

As far as the political stuff, I think most owners and fans don't care that much anymore what a player does on the sideline during the playing of the anthem, which is rarely televised. Most people don't care whether Eric Reid is/isn't kneeling before Panthers games. It's just an old story now.

So tl;dr skills-wise/disruption-wise I think Kaep could be a decent backup. He'd be looking at a cheap prove-it contract with little guaranteed money, but that's what other QB2s and 3s also get. It's weird though that the league itself is managing and marketing this event just for him, though.

As a vet I can't stand the kneeling. As a QB he's better than a lot of starters right now in the league.

Why would someone kneeling bother you.

Because you kneel for the fallen and stand for the flag.
Indeed. Like the ones killed by police, or the fallen moral fiber of the country. In his mind (and in the mind of the veteran who suggested kneeling), the nation itself - not to mention people - has fallen.

Of course you’re free to disagree and pretend there is no problem. Much like you’re free to your opinion on the matter, like everyone else.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3qegxlr7 said:
He wants (ostensibly) to work for an NFL team though. If he was uncomfortable with it, he should have said on Tuesday no thanks and announced his own workout place THEN.

He didn't, because he knows no one would have gone. Instead, he RSVP'ed to their party and larped on getting them to organize getting the teams there plus the coaches/vid guys/equipment guys.

With all those guys there, someone would have gone to Schefter "per source" and leaked how they thought the tryout went. Plus the NFL was going to give him the raw footage anyway. They'd agreed to let Kaep use the event as an advertising opportunity.

So what if the NFL took extra steps to try to NOT get sued over this again? He just settled with them this year.

I just don't get how this makes Kaep the oppressed one here.
Hard to trust the NFL when they set this up with almost no warning, refused absolute media transparency, and so on. Were I Kaepernick, I’d have thought it was an NFL PR stunt, too, and most definitely would not have trusted them.

It always comes back to transparency. Like a certain, shall we say, CITRIS one, innocent people should have nothing to hide, but guilty people always fight transparency.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2qr9qyc3 said:
Washington49er":2qr9qyc3 said:
rcaido":2qr9qyc3 said:
Washington49er":2qr9qyc3 said:
As a vet I can't stand the kneeling. As a QB he's better than a lot of starters right now in the league.

Why would someone kneeling bother you.

Because you kneel for the fallen and stand for the flag.
Indeed. Like the ones killed by police, or the fallen moral fiber of the country. In his mind (and in the mind of the veteran who suggested kneeling), the nation itself - not to mention people - has fallen.

Of course you’re free to disagree and pretend there is no problem. Much like you’re free to your opinion on the matter, like everyone else.
:irishdrinkers: