Niners are going to the Super Bowl

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3uuqvaug said:
The Saints put up almost a 50 burger on them.

With injuries all over the field to our starting defense. Obviously you don't know much about the 49ers roster. Because that was the most injured point of our season. And we put 48 on them. They put 46 on us and LOST..... :D

We have a lot of guys back on defense now who were not playing then. Totally different team. Much better defense now more healthy.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
kobebryant":1apdkl5i said:
We've seen this before. An electric offense AFC West team with an MVP caliber QB takes on a tough, mean NFC West team with a great running game and defense. 43-8.

SF is a significant step up in weight class compared to anything KC has faced. Just as Seattle was to Denver.

We play SMASH MOUTH football in the NFC West. It's rough and tumble. As you guys well know. It's not soft finesse style football that they play in the AFC. Everybody has a plan until you punch them in the mouth!

:shoot:

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":whijusa5 said:
Let's bet a pint. Come on......

OK I bet you a pint. I will buy you a drink next year if I come up there for a Seahawks game. But you have to buy for me if we win.

:)

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Niners 27

Kc 20.

Jimmy will throw 2 touchdowns and Kc will have a game changing turnover.

knownone

Reaction score
Why does the media keep comparing the Niners defense to the LOB? I get that they have Sherm and run a similar scheme, but the two units are not in the sames stratosphere statistically.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":17a0spvd said:
Why does the media keep comparing the Niners defense to the LOB? I get that they have Sherm and run a similar scheme, but the two units are not in the sames stratosphere statistically.

To be clear, I think those Seattle defenses were better, but the Seattle team that won the SB allowed 273.6 YPG, 14.4 PPG, and 172 Passing yards per game.

The 49ers allow 281.8 yards per game, 19.4 PPG, and 169.2 Passing yards per game.

Seahawks beat them by a bit in YPG, by quite a bit in PPG, but the Niners were actually better than ANY TEAM in Pass D since 2009....and thats WITH a midseason stretch where they lost Alexander, Tartt, and Ford....all of whom are back now.

I'm not going to try and sell that SF is better because I think those Seattle D's were some of the best in NFL history, but its not quite as crazy as you think statistically.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":3taubdn2 said:
knownone":3taubdn2 said:

To be clear, I think those Seattle defenses were better, but the Seattle team that won the SB allowed 273.6 YPG, 14.4 PPG, and 172 Passing yards per game.

The 49ers allow 281.8 yards per game, 19.4 PPG, and 169.2 Passing yards per game.

Seahawks beat them by a bit in YPG, by quite a bit in PPG, but the Niners were actually better than ANY TEAM in Pass D since 2009....and thats WITH a midseason stretch where they lost Alexander, Tartt, and Ford....all of whom are back now.

I'm not going to try and sell that SF is better because I think those Seattle D's were some of the best in NFL history, but its not quite as crazy as you think statistically.

You have to consider the massive amount of injuries we had 2nd half of the year as you said. Some of those very key guys are back now from injuries. This team was much better than how the statistics came about. If those guys had stayed healthy. Also the defense in the playoffs is the real defense. Not the injured defense which is just not the same at all. It's a quality and skilled group.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":oba1ure2 said:
Marvin49":oba1ure2 said:
knownone":oba1ure2 said:

You have to consider the massive amount of injuries we had 2nd half of the year as you said. Some of those very key guys are back now from injuries. This team was much better than how the statistics came about. If those guys had stayed healthy. Also the defense in the playoffs is the real defense. Not the injured defense which is just not the same at all. It's a quality and skilled group.

Yeah...but they haven't really proved anything yet. The 'hawks got the ring. In the end, regardless of what the numbers say or what injuries you had, you are what you are.

IF the Niners get a ring and do it for several years, then maybe its a conversation. Right now though, its not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
are you guys just using yards as a measuring stick?

Seahawks were 1st in scoring D. 9ers are 8th.
39 turnovers to 27.

Come on...

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":3jjen3ti said:
knownone":3jjen3ti said:

I don't know, it still feels kind of crazy statistically. Passing yards might be the only area where the Niners defense is comparable, and the reason the Niners gave up fewer passing yards, might be because they gave up 4.5 YPC on the ground; whereas, Seattle gave up just 3.9 YPC.

The '13 Seahawks pass D gave up a QB rating of 63.4 which was #1 in the league by 10+ points.

TD/Int: 16 / 28

Passing DVOA: -34.2%

Games missed by major contributors: 28

The '19 Niners pass D gave up a QB rating of 84 which is #7 in the league.

TD/Int: 23 / 12

Passing DVOA: -26.3%

Games missed by major contributors: 35

The Niners are obviously one of the 5 or so best defenses to make the Superbowl this decade, but the comparison between the two teams seems forced.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
84293556_3072320259481308_7739334319235137536_n.jpg

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":10vfmvy4 said:
SanDiego49er":10vfmvy4 said:
Marvin49":10vfmvy4 said:
knownone":10vfmvy4 said:

Yeah...but they haven't really proved anything yet. The 'hawks got the ring. In the end, regardless of what the numbers say or what injuries you had, you are what you are.

IF the Niners get a ring and do it for several years, then maybe its a conversation. Right now though, its not.

Who cares about this defense vs that defense? This statistic vs that statistic? None of it matters. That stuff is massively over analyzed. You just want to win. Period. That's all that matters.

James in PA

Reaction score
I don’t think the Niners are all that great. Hell, they don’t even have 1 guy playing in the Pro Bowl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington49er

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":i51radw3 said:
Marvin49":i51radw3 said:
SanDiego49er":i51radw3 said:
Marvin49":i51radw3 said:

Who cares about this defense vs that defense? This statistic vs that statistic? None of it matters. That stuff is massively over analyzed. You just want to win. Period. That's all that matters.

This^

knownone

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2o6x2n0f said:
Marvin49":2o6x2n0f said:
SanDiego49er":2o6x2n0f said:
Marvin49":2o6x2n0f said:

I understand why 49ers fans would feel that way, but statistical breakdowns do matter when looking back at each team from a historical perspective.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
knownone":3lyi9kyt said:
SanDiego49er":3lyi9kyt said:
Marvin49":3lyi9kyt said:
SanDiego49er":3lyi9kyt said:

I understand why 49ers fans would feel that way, but statistical breakdowns do matter when looking back at each team from a historical perspective.

It doesn't matter at all. In the end people just remember if you win or not. 99% of people could not care about those statistics. This team was badly injured for large portions of the year. If you think it was our starters on defense for most of the season you would be wrong. We were playing with huge amounts of backups for large portions of the season especially in the 2nd half of the year. Now some of those guys are back and healthy. Thus a much better defense. But playing with backups large portions of the year certainly effected our statistics or what it could have been.

But in the end like I said it doesn't matter. You just want to win. That's the bottom line. It's why you play the game.