O'Brien Schofield to be fulltime LEO

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1cwiab16 said:
I think we have a chance to be an even better pass rushing unit, yes, but I also think there's a chance we could take a step back vs. the running game in our base D, depending on who is deployed as our Leo and 5-tech DE's in the base D and how those guys perform.

That's what I'm wondering about. We have a lot of 'disruptive' DTs and pass rushers at DE, but none have really proven themselves against the run to the extent Clemons and Bryant did. I'm hoping Scruggs and McD will step up and shine. Just don't know if Jesse will make it at this level. Especially at the position where they plan to use him.

Tical21

Reaction score
This does show me that they are considering Irvin basically as a pure linebacker. If they weren't, they would want Schofield to practice there for depth purposes. Does anybody else get the feeling that Irvin is a 4th LB'er and 5th DE?

Label me a Schofield optimist. Very productive as a rookie for the Cards, and was one of the stars of the preseason last year. Going into the beginning of the regular season last year, you would have thought he had earned some shots at regular playing time. Very excited the deal fell through and we got him back on the cheap.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21":3a1to4r2 said:
This does show me that they are considering Irvin basically as a pure linebacker. If they weren't, they would want Schofield to practice there for depth purposes. Does anybody else get the feeling that Irvin is a 4th LB'er and 5th DE?

Label me a Schofield optimist. Very productive as a rookie for the Cards, and was one of the stars of the preseason last year. Going into the beginning of the regular season last year, you would have thought he had earned some shots at regular playing time. Very excited the deal fell through and we got him back on the cheap.

Based on what I saw last year, Irvin could develop into one of our best LBers. He'd never played the position before, even in High School, yet he went into the season, lost some games to suspension, and not only didn't embarrass himself at the NFL level, but flashed good instincts and insane athleticism. The only problem is he's up against Malcom Smith, who's been Johnny On the Spot for our defense. Smith isn't really amazing at anything, but he has this uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time, consistently.

Avril has stated a few times that he's more comfortable rushing off the left edge than the right. If he's the starting LEO, he'll be swapping sides on obvious passing downs. As for a "heavy" run package, I could see Bennett playing LEO in run situations, with McDaniel or Scruggs at the LDE, Hill, McDaniel or Scruggs at the 3 tech and Mebane at the 1 tech.

Depending on how our young guys develop, we could be even better against the run this year, with all of the pass rush (and maybe more) from last year. Scruggs is a lean 311 lbs. Hill has flashed. Williams has the talent if his knee holds up. McDaniel is still solid and we have a couple of young guys that will push for playing time.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
joeshaney":nsu104mc said:
Wenhawk":nsu104mc said:
So Since Avril is our starting Left End and Bennett is the Right End

Source?

Did you not read the article? "Cliff Avril is generally regarded as the team’s pass-rushing left defensive end."

Funny you asked for a source cause when i posted i thought it was backwards. So I just checked seahawks.com depth chart and low and behold it lists Avril as the RDE and Bennett as the LDE. the article was wrong. lol

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tical21":1ta4rojg said:

That's why I was asking about Irvin as Leo. They've played him at that position just once, in the playoffs vs. Atlanta, and there's no arguing that he played poorly. But was it so bad that they have written him off from ever playing the position they specifically drafted him for? And if so, what makes us anymore optimistic that he'll become a decent Sam?

Last year at about this time, they said that they were going to create a "spinner" role for him, which I thought was a great idea as it would put him up against different blockers and coming from different angles, but we didn't see hardly any of that kind of use. He needs to refine his pass rushing skills as all he's really shown us at DE is a sprint to the edge and a bull rush, no swim or spin moves, and playing him like we did last season, where we were taking him out on 3rd downs, he's not going to get the work he needs to become successful. He's not a natural linebacker, and forcing him into that mold is going to destroy his chances of making a consistent contribution.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2fmsx8my said:
NorthDallas40oz":2fmsx8my said:
I think we have a chance to be an even better pass rushing unit, yes, but I also think there's a chance we could take a step back vs. the running game in our base D, depending on who is deployed as our Leo and 5-tech DE's in the base D and how those guys perform.

That's what I'm wondering about. We have a lot of 'disruptive' DTs and pass rushers at DE, but none have really proven themselves against the run to the extent Clemons and Bryant did. I'm hoping Scruggs and McD will step up and shine. Just don't know if Jesse will make it at this level. Especially at the position where they plan to use him.

Why is everyone forgetting about and/or discounting Jordan Hill?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Mick063":dqdl4cd7 said:
From my personal observation, Schofield is impressive as an edge rusher.

From the "emperor is wearing no clothes" perspective, I personally believe his technique as an edge rusher is much better than Irvin's. Irvin may be a better, quicker athlete, but Schofield's game is noticeably more advanced. At this snapshot in time, I would prefer to see Schofield as an edge rusher over Irvin until Irvin begins to show better technique. Irvin seems to be caught in "no man's" land. They are trying to find a place to use his athleticism, but the truth is, he is being outplayed by other players wherever they put him (ie. Malcom Smith, Cliff Avril). More a testimony to other players stepping up their game than a knock on Irvin. Mark me down as one who believes that this season will determine if Seattle eventually exercises the fifth year extension option on Irvin. Based upon his current play, I don't believe they would. (on second thought, was he drafted/signed before the new contract structure was implemented?). Having said that, he is too much of an athletic freak to easily give up on. They will lend him every opportunity to step up his game.

Due to unforeseen attrition, I would feel very confident with Schofield playing every passing down at Leo. He would hold his own competently. The thing is...the Seahawk defensive scheme is one of a handful of places where Schofield can excel. Leo was built for "Tweeners" or undersized defensive ends. League wide, there isn't a lot of spots available for players like Schofield. For this reason, Seattle will always be "stacked" at the LEO position.

On another note:

The Seahawk defensive philosophy is innovative and brilliant. Normally, undersized defensive linemen would be a huge liability in the run game, but it is more than compensated for by the oversized defensive backfield. Chancellor takes on offensive linemen as well as any linebacker in the league and Thomas is fearless in run support. Maxwell (and before him, Browner) is very competent at sealing the edge and forcing runners back to the middle or outright tackling for loss or no gain. Even Lane has demonstrated similar ability. Running to Sherman's side? Well that is where the "big" defensive end plays. Further, Richard isn't afraid to stick his head in there either. Because of this, Seattle can put lightning quick players (albeit undersized) on the edge, with their hand on the turf. Brilliant!

Cliff Avril is out here after this season--he'll be seeking his big payday and the Hawks will have a lot of crucial contracts (Wilson) to sign that offseason. Irvin's day is coming. Great observations in the last para, by the way.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2v1aa2qe said:
BlueBlood":2v1aa2qe said:
Am I the only one that thinks we are going to be even better on the line this year? Im thinking we are going to lead the league in sacks.. we are loaded!

Yeah I'm a little concerned about our front 7's ability to stop the run as well. Bryant was a run stuffer, now it seems like only Mebane and McDaniel are left to stop the run up the gut.

Latest posts