OC Candidates + Further Questions

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pacific101":5z1l1bw1 said:
Mark Herzlich that I believe was OC for the Ducks when Mariota was still there, might be worth a look see and some serious consideration. He certainly did a hell of a job of getting the best out of Mariota and the entire offense for that matter when he was there. I don’t know if he’s even available at this point or not. Someone mentioned him in a recent conversation and it sounded like something to think about anyhow. Mariota and Wilson have a lot in common and Pete has said he wants to build an offense around him, this might be a good start.

This would be a great hire honestly. He's a great OC. Just keep him far, far, far away from the head coaches office. If not Helfrich i'd much rather find some other bright, innovative mind from the college ranks then just go with an NFL retread.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mike Shula makes the most sense as OC IMO.

He was also just let go yesterday, which may be "the reason" for the timing of this news ....

He has an impressive record. From Wiki.....

On January 21, 2011, the Carolina Panthers named Shula as their quarterbacks coach. In 2011, Shula helped quarterback Cam Newton earn Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year after turning in one of the most prolific rookie seasons in NFL history, passing for 4,051 yards and accounting for 35 total touchdowns. In 2012, under Shula's tutelage, Newton improved on his Rookie-of-the-Year quarterback rating from 2011 with an 86.2 mark while rushing for more than 700 yards for a second straight season. Newton's 7,920 passing yards in the 2011-12 season surpassed the previous mark for a player’s first two seasons held by Peyton Manning.

On January 18, 2013, the Panthers named Shula as their offensive coordinator.[13] He was named Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Pro Football Focus during the 2015 NFL season.[14]

In the 2015 season, Shula and the Panthers reached Super Bowl 50 on February 7, 2016. The Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10.[15]

On January 9, 2018, following the Panthers' wild-card playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints, Shula was released by the Panthers. [16]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3lc9ylj4 said:

On January 21, 2011, the Carolina Panthers named Shula as their quarterbacks coach. In 2011, Shula helped quarterback Cam Newton earn Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year after turning in one of the most prolific rookie seasons in NFL history, passing for 4,051 yards and accounting for 35 total touchdowns. In 2012, under Shula's tutelage, Newton improved on his Rookie-of-the-Year quarterback rating from 2011 with an 86.2 mark while rushing for more than 700 yards for a second straight season. Newton's 7,920 passing yards in the 2011-12 season surpassed the previous mark for a player’s first two seasons held by Peyton Manning.

On January 18, 2013, the Panthers named Shula as their offensive coordinator.[13] He was named Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Pro Football Focus during the 2015 NFL season.[14]

In the 2015 season, Shula and the Panthers reached Super Bowl 50 on February 7, 2016. The Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10.[15]

On January 9, 2018, following the Panthers' wild-card playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints, Shula was released by the Panthers. [16]

He just lost his job for the same reason Bevell lost his.. and in a similar offensive set up.

Not saying he wouldn't be ok, but not seeing how he "makes the most sense"

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3u5yk3jc said:
Seymour":3u5yk3jc said:

He just lost his job for the same reason Bevell lost his.. and in a similar offensive set up.

Not the same reasons IMO. They are going to be sold and have other issues around that.

When did Bevel win coordinator of the year???

When did Bevell have the #1 offense in the NFL????

SnapDan

Reaction score
Glad he finally got the boot!

I would have loved to see Stanford's OC come in at get the OC job Mike Bloomgren, did a great job the past couple years especially with the run game. Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love standing out in his offence...but its too late he took the HC job at Rice!

I've seen things flying around on twitter about Cable, Sark and Eagles QB coach John DeFlippo :|

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seymour":2cca91q4 said:
Uncle Si":2cca91q4 said:
Seymour":2cca91q4 said:

Not the same reasons IMO. They are going to be sold and have other issues around that.

I like Shula as well as a replacement for Bevell. I fully believe that a lot of "his" struggles were actually directly from hard headed Cam Newton and him wanting to do his own thing. I think Shula has done as much as he possibly can with Cam as a QB and I personally believe he could get much more out of RW.

JimmyG

Reaction score
DJrmb":1y2fec7x said:
Seymour":1y2fec7x said:
Uncle Si":1y2fec7x said:
Seymour":1y2fec7x said:

I like Shula as well as a replacement for Bevell. I fully believe that a lot of "his" struggles were actually directly from hard headed Cam Newton and him wanting to do his own thing. I think Shula has done as much as he possibly can with Cam as a QB and I personally believe he could get much more out of RW.
I think it's hilarious that people are throwing out Shula (hated by Panthers fans) and Sarkisian (Falcons took a huge step back this year, Falcons fans hate him as well). Mostly it just goes to show that virtually every offensive coordinator in the league is hated.

Also, I think saying "Shula was handicapped because of Cam wanting to do his own thing" is a funny thing to say. We have a quarterback who constantly breaks from clean pockets and starts unnecessarily running, so you could make the same excuse for Bevell.

DJrmb

Reaction score
JimmyG":2ss2sqia said:
DJrmb":2ss2sqia said:
Seymour":2ss2sqia said:
Uncle Si":2ss2sqia said:

I think it's hilarious that people are throwing out Shula (hated by Panthers fans) and Sarkisian (Falcons took a huge step back this year, Falcons fans hate him as well). Mostly it just goes to show that virtually every offensive coordinator in the league is hated.

Also, I think saying "Shula was handicapped because of Cam wanting to do his own thing" is a funny thing to say. We have a quarterback who constantly breaks from clean pockets and starts unnecessarily running, so you could make the same excuse for Bevell.
If you've watched this team for more than just the last two years then you should know that RW didn't start out that way. It was a response to leading the league in QB hits and sacks for a good portion of the year. You'd get gun shy too.

The difference is that I'm convinced Cam calls his own number completely ignoring play calls at times. There are plays he doesn't even ever look down field, even though WRs are running real routes where if it was a called QB draw they would just run straight most likely. RW is completely opposite in my opinion. He seems to blindly follow play calls no matter how predictable or stupid they are.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
chris98251":3lzna50u said:
randomation":3lzna50u said:
chris98251":3lzna50u said:
Well it won't be Norm Chow, Sark is under contract with Atlanta I don't think they will let him go, Lane Kiffen is the next one that comes to mind.

Lane Kiffin isn't taking an OC job. He is making a ton at The FAU and enjoying trolling Saban with full approval from the administration. He also probably has a huge buyout.

Well that pretty much eats up most the USC coordinators.

Not quite.

Tee Martin will be in the conversation. Not saying he should be hired, but I am saying he will be interviewed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":36i5kxp0 said:
JimmyG":36i5kxp0 said:
DJrmb":36i5kxp0 said:
Seymour":36i5kxp0 said:

If you've watched this team for more than just the last two years then you should know that RW didn't start out that way. It was a response to leading the league in QB hits and sacks for a good portion of the year. You'd get gun shy too.

The difference is that I'm convinced Cam calls his own number completely ignoring play calls at times. There are plays he doesn't even ever look down field, even though WRs are running real routes where if it was a called QB draw they would just run straight most likely. RW is completely opposite in my opinion. He seems to blindly follow play calls no matter how predictable or stupid they are.
Excellent points! :2thumbs:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2lmlq55o said:
Jim Bob Cooter may be let go depending on who the new coach is in Detroit. He'd be absolutely incredible. Young (33) offensive mind who does good with quarterbacks.

Jim Bob Cooter? Sounds like an offspring from a Daisy Duke (from Dukes of Hazard)-John Boy Walton (The Waltons) union.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2p4i0xfd said:
I wonder if they would consider Bred Bielema from Wisconsin. He clearly knows how to get the most out of Wilson (thx Shadow)

Why in the world would you want Bieleman to be an NFL offensive coordinator?

He hasn't even been an offensive position coach at the college level, never mind an offensive coordinator.

Handing the keys of an NFL offense to someone who's career path was college defensive lineman, linebackers coach, defensive coordinator, head coach seems like a terrible idea. Just because he was the HC at Wisconsin when Russ was there doesn't mean he should be running an NFL offense.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":21hv3h2l said:
How about we go get Bret Bielema?

Seriously?

What am I missing with Bielema? I heard it on the radio too. Aside from his time as a HC his entire coaching experience is on the defensive side of the ball.

mrt144

Reaction score
Dark Horse: Tim Drevno - but that is predicated on Cable being axed.

Michigan OL coach and OC - familiarity with a more pro style system in Michigan along with familiarity with the blocking rigors of current college OL.

Although the Buckeye in me says do whatever it is that keeps TTUN losing.

Seymour

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":2jmt84f8 said:
No Sark for the love of god. No Cable either.

Norv Turner if he's available.

Yes, another name I threw out too. And he is available, but on his way to Carolina soon as I understand it.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
DeFilippo is getting endless love but Wentz is a stud, it would've been hard to not to succeed with him. What has he done prior that is of any repute? I'm not sold on him at all.

Latest posts