OC Candidates + Further Questions

flmmkrz

Reaction score
ivotuk":3spjgkof said:
Mike Shula

The big talking point against him was that he was getting Cam killed week in week out. I don't know if that is the direction we want to go either. He did know how to utilize a weapon in Olsen, how valuable would he have been with Jimmy in the line up. I'm not sure on him one way or the other but it is an interesting option

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because he was the Head Coach of Wisconsin from 2006-2012, that's why. As in Russell Wilson's coach. A good head coach gets the most out of his players. Kind of like the one who is the head coach here in Seattle. So, why not consider the guy who coached Russ in college?

original poster

Reaction score
flmmkrz":4balk3tk said:
DeFilippo is getting endless love but Wentz is a stud, it would've been hard to not to succeed with him. What has he done prior that is of any repute? I'm not sold on him at all.

I read that Wentz got outside help on his footwork in the offseason so not sure DeFilippo deserves too much credit for Wentz, but who knows.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":2mwm2q1j said:
Uncle Si":2mwm2q1j said:
Seymour":2mwm2q1j said:
Mike Shula makes the most sense as OC IMO.

He has an impressive record. From Wiki.....

On January 21, 2011, the Carolina Panthers named Shula as their quarterbacks coach. In 2011, Shula helped quarterback Cam Newton earn Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year after turning in one of the most prolific rookie seasons in NFL history, passing for 4,051 yards and accounting for 35 total touchdowns. In 2012, under Shula's tutelage, Newton improved on his Rookie-of-the-Year quarterback rating from 2011 with an 86.2 mark while rushing for more than 700 yards for a second straight season. Newton's 7,920 passing yards in the 2011-12 season surpassed the previous mark for a player’s first two seasons held by Peyton Manning.

On January 18, 2013, the Panthers named Shula as their offensive coordinator.[13] He was named Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Pro Football Focus during the 2015 NFL season.[14]

In the 2015 season, Shula and the Panthers reached Super Bowl 50 on February 7, 2016. The Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10.[15]

On January 9, 2018, following the Panthers' wild-card playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints, Shula was released by the Panthers. [16]

He just lost his job for the same reason Bevell lost his.. and in a similar offensive set up.

Not saying he wouldn't be ok, but not seeing how he "makes the most sense"

Not the same reasons IMO. They are going to be sold and have other issues around that.

When did Bevel win coordinator of the year???

When did Bevell have the #1 offense in the NFL????

I remember the 2015 season where the offense went on a 10 game run where it was basically unstoppable. Bevell had his success. That can't be denied.

I don't know much about Shula. But if the firing is not about his offense then fair enough. I'd say Newton's inconsistencies are pretty glaring. Whether that's Shula or Cam is up to debate

kobebryant

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1km0j5cn said:
Because he was the Head Coach of Wisconsin from 2006-2012, that's why. As in Russell Wilson's coach.

I think your struggling with the QB/HC relationship and minimising the importance of the QB/OC relationship.

Bielema has never coached offense or called plays. I could see an argument for Paul Chryst in that case if he didn't already have a job.

It would be like suggesting Dan Quinn or Ron Rivera should be an OC because Matt Ryan and Cam Newton have had MVP seasons while they were the HC.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":18hq5wdq said:
Seymour":18hq5wdq said:
Uncle Si":18hq5wdq said:
Seymour":18hq5wdq said:
Mike Shula makes the most sense as OC IMO.

He has an impressive record. From Wiki.....

He just lost his job for the same reason Bevell lost his.. and in a similar offensive set up.

Not the same reasons IMO. They are going to be sold and have other issues around that.

I remember the 2015 season where the offense went on a 10 game run where it was basically unstoppable. Bevell had his success. That can't be denied.

I don't know much about Shula. But if the firing is not about his offense then fair enough. I'd say Newton's inconsistencies are pretty glaring. Whether that's Shula or Cam is up to debate

Pretty much where I'm at. I think Spam was a bit more of a complicated case with his rogue (more intentional without need) call changes he made. Also the more recent #1 success would lean to Shula. Sometimes a change of scenery, and ridding the team of the SB loss reminder (hard to argue Bev doesn't rep that to several players), may be enough to spark a new attitude.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
JimmyG":3ms6as7i said:
DJrmb":3ms6as7i said:
Seymour":3ms6as7i said:
Uncle Si":3ms6as7i said:

I like Shula as well as a replacement for Bevell. I fully believe that a lot of "his" struggles were actually directly from hard headed Cam Newton and him wanting to do his own thing. I think Shula has done as much as he possibly can with Cam as a QB and I personally believe he could get much more out of RW.
I think it's hilarious that people are throwing out Shula (hated by Panthers fans) and Sarkisian (Falcons took a huge step back this year, Falcons fans hate him as well). Mostly it just goes to show that virtually every offensive coordinator in the league is hated.

Also, I think saying "Shula was handicapped because of Cam wanting to do his own thing" is a funny thing to say. We have a quarterback who constantly breaks from clean pockets and starts unnecessarily running, so you could make the same excuse for Bevell.

Saying Russell Wilson and "clean pocket" in the same sentence as if it is some kind of regular occurrence is cognitive dissonance even for the most ardent Wilson critic

Seymour

Reaction score
flmmkrz":5xd66qul said:
ivotuk":5xd66qul said:
Mike Shula

The big talking point against him was that he was getting Cam killed week in week out. I don't know if that is the direction we want to go either. He did know how to utilize a weapon in Olsen, how valuable would he have been with Jimmy in the line up. I'm not sure on him one way or the other but it is an interesting option

Disagree.
Cam gets Cam killed. He rarely slides, and regularly takes risks way beyond what Russell would ever do.

Agree on getting Gregg Olson the ball. With him I may even say try to keep Jimmy if they can keep to $8M or under.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3rnlhhn4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/951165026890670080[/tweet]

Well that pretty much axes the idea of a promotion IMO. That is not how you treat someone you are banking on.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
kobebryant":2i9118lb said:
Maelstrom787":2i9118lb said:
How about we go get Bret Bielema?

Seriously?

What am I missing with Bielema? I heard it on the radio too. Aside from his time as a HC his entire coaching experience is on the defensive side of the ball.

Ah. I'm dumb. I wonder why I was remembering him as a previous OC...

Oh well. I stand corrected.

Maybe Bielema for DC? Haha.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":s3uu13fu said:
No Sark for the love of god. No Cable either.

Norv Turner if he's available.

You all want these tired, old names that have been fired and hired ten times over

How about a fresh name? Seems to me some of the hot new coordinators(Sean McVay comes to mind, as does Kyle Shanahan) started out as unknown commodities. McVay was this young gun who got promoted to OC with the Skins. There was no great history on how great he'd be

I for one want someone with fresh ideas. A new guy, possibly a QB coach... considered to be brilliant within coaching circles. And will be fired up to design a great system for Hustle Russell. Enough of all these known "safe" names, if you want success you take RISKS :stirthepot:

ivotuk

Reaction score
You can't compare Mike Shula and Cam Newton to Darrell Bevell and Russell Wilson. Not even close.

In what way does Cam Newton resemble Russell Wilson other than he can run? None.

Cam has never been accurate, he's immature, Carolina has CONSISTENTLY invested in the offensive line and have one of the best Tight Ends in the NFL when it comes to blocking and receiving.

I see zero comparison.

Mike Shula helped Cam Newton to a 15 - 1 record. How is that even possible?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Seymour":1cto6ojw said:
flmmkrz":1cto6ojw said:
ivotuk":1cto6ojw said:
Mike Shula

Disagree.
Cam gets Cam killed. He rarely slides, and regularly takes risks way beyond what Russell would ever do.

Agree on getting Gregg Olson the ball. With him I may even say try to keep Jimmy if they can keep to $8M or under.

I wouldn't go that far. He does get killed behind that O-line at times. No he's not as polished, he has his flaws. But the criticisms of him are a bit over the top at times. I'd still take him over say, a Matt Ryan. It's very possible Shula didn't call the right plays for him at times. Who knows. To me, the Panthers glaring issue is lack of talent

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mike Salk is asking "Why now? Why is Darrell Bevell being fired today?"

My thoughts, Mike Shula (or some other OC) became available.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, I don't care if they hire that guy or not, just passing along a suggestion that sounded interesting. We ARE talking about possible candidates. It wouldn't be the first time a defensive guy coached the offense.

Latest posts