Off the hook?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sdog1981":215wl21g said:
The Falcons will never recover from this. For 11 quarters the Falcons had put all the naysayers to bed. They dominated the playoffs. Then they imploded. That could doom a young team, because every time they get a big lead they will play scared saying to themselves "don't screw this up like last time"
I disagree. They won't overcome it until they win a Lombardi though. I thought Seattle would never overcome the sham that was XL*, until XLVIII happened. :lol:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Great Hawktini":tlvpn7mt said:
With Atlanta's loss does this now go down as the worse loss in Super Bowl history? and take some of the heat off of the Hawk's meltdown on the goal line.
Curious to everyone's thoughts.
Nope. "The 2nd and wrong" is still "the 2nd and wrong"!

truehawksfan

Reaction score
wow. talk about someone hijacking this tread. I thought we were talking about, are we off the hook, but someone uses every post to bash the team.

sheesh.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2p944cgl said:
sdog1981":2p944cgl said:
The Falcons will never recover from this. For 11 quarters the Falcons had put all the naysayers to bed. They dominated the playoffs. Then they imploded. That could doom a young team, because every time they get a big lead they will play scared saying to themselves "don't screw this up like last time"
I disagree. They won't overcome it until they win a Lombardi though. I thought Seattle would never overcome the sham that was XL*, until XLVIII happened. :lol:

Yeah, it only took 9 long years and 2 regimes/players later.

We are totally off the hook. That game (51) was the definition of choking.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I really wanted the falcons to win and was getting so upset seeing the pats coming back. but afterwards I did feel a bit of a relief regarding XLIX. now its like at least we weren't the only ones to blow it against the pats. misery loves company.

AVL

Reaction score
There is no hook except in your own head. If you like group misery, go for it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
classicaaron":mc8fppn1 said:
I really wanted the falcons to win and was getting so upset seeing the pats coming back. but afterwards I did feel a bit of a relief regarding XLIX. now its like at least we weren't the only ones to blow it against the pats. misery loves company.

Blowing it is a nice way to put it.....I dont even know what word to use to describe what the Falcons did. Losing once you are up 25 in a superbowl doesnt happen...

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Something came to mind thinking about the Falcons loss, and I don't know if anyone else mentioned it. But part of the reason the Falcons lost was their inability to sustain drives.

I know Russell's performance in our win against the Broncos is often overlooked, but the one thing I notice is that even if it was just a field goal, Russell kept converting 3rd downs, sustaining drives, and scoring. THAT is how you keep a lead. I only wish the Hawks had the kind of O-line to have the high powered offense I know we could have

Seymour

Reaction score
bandiger":vbnt6soe said:
Until Bevell admits he screwed up, team won't get past it. :stirthepot:

SiouxBevell will never admit to ANY fault. Just not in their DNA. Pete seems fine with that, in fact is right up there in rainbow / unicorns and la la land. #denial

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's just weird and unrealistic to expect them to admit fault. Face it, this has more to do about you than it does about what happened on that football field 2 years ago.

Threedee

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3m2c8tcj said:
bandiger":3m2c8tcj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/828627287348219906[/tweet]

Wrong! And way to sabotage this thread.

1) We are not off the hook. This was Atlanta's screw-up, and they can deal with it however they choose. But we are Seattle, and other people do not get us off the hook.

2) Regarding this exchange, there is a very real personal fallout called hubris. It's popular in the classics, and it's a trait demonstrated by everyone who chooses to make excuses for the way XLIX ended. People need to admit mistakes, and learn from them. Proper mindset is supposed to be a hallmark of the conditioning of our guys.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Threedee":309g6jyt said:
Siouxhawk":309g6jyt said:
bandiger":309g6jyt said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/828627287348219906[/tweet]

Wrong! And way to sabotage this thread.

1) We are not off the hook. This was Atlanta's screw-up, and they can deal with it however they choose. But we are Seattle, and other people do not get us off the hook.

2) Regarding this exchange, there is a very real personal fallout called hubris. It's popular in the classics, and it's a trait demonstrated by everyone who chooses to make excuses for the way XLIX ended. People need to admit mistakes, and learn from them. Proper mindset is supposed to be a hallmark of the conditioning of our guys.
The mindset is "always compete." The mindset is do your best and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm sure they had an inner-team meeting at some time upon the conclusion of that game and that's all that matters.

strohmin

Reaction score
nash72":3mluwln1 said:
TwistedHusky":3mluwln1 said:
Ignorance is bliss.

This team was supposedly as good or better than the SB team if you read the press clippings at the start of the year.

Everyone just ignored the holes and problems.

But ultimately it was those holes and problems that doomed it. Surely some will be convinced that Earl Thomas going down was the real reason, and that contributed to it - but even with a healthy ET next year, I don't expect us to get much farther than we did.

I can see us winning the division next year, but I can also see us choking it away. I cannot see us doing anything of note even after winning the division though.

Edit: Nothing about the football this team played last year was consistently exceptional by the way. Some of it was barely palatable. For such a great team, we seemed to have a really really difficult time scoring TDs for several games in a row.

And while we hung our hat on the fact we were always in the game and never got blown out, lately this is starting to happen.

So I wouldn't just dismiss the clear indications of a team on the decline so hastily.

How dare you be sensible around here. You know its frowned upon.

I have been thinking this since the Carolina playoff game. This team has not played consistently good football in a while and they only seem to be getting worse.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
We're not off the hook. Nothing has changed. Atl's loss is their loss and their heartbreak. Nobody has suddenly forgotten our epic royal of a royal mountain failure.

Atl will have to find a way to cope and regroup which will be extremely difficult as we know too well. They could have in-fighting, extended frustration and blaming each other or coaches. But at least their OC manned up and admitted his big mistake-something our OC has never done going on 7 seasons.