Officiating

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Hawkpower":25xtrv65 said:
rideaducati":25xtrv65 said:
Hawkpower":25xtrv65 said:
rideaducati":25xtrv65 said:
The referees were not the reason the Seahawks lost. We have seen games that were given to Seahawks opponents, but this was not even close to being one of those games.

There's a difference between being THE reason and a PART of the reason why a team loses.

To think that the incompetence that ended up giving AZ a huge advantage last night was in no part a PART of the reason why they lost is ridiculous.

And yes, Seattle played poorly. That doesnt minimize the poor officiating.

I think officiating was pretty far down on the list of reasons why the Seahawks lost. While it was less than ideal, there wasn't an obvious bias that I could see. I fail to see the "huge advantage" the Cards were given by the officials. All the penalties called looked like penalties on replay except the facemask, but that replay showed a player with a different number than the number called by the official. The facemask was called on #79 and they showed #78 on the replay or something like that. Again, not ideal, but not even close to being a factor in the game.

4 delay of games not called.

6 failed 3rd downs extended due to penalties.

The should have been called fumble that led to 3 points.

Not one holding call on AZ despite video evidence to show maulings on nearly every blitz.

4 consecutive drives at 1st and 20 or 25 for Seattle with phantom penalties.

But yeah, other than those 5 things, no factor at all.
Absolutely, AZ goes on multiple 80+ yard drives, including the game winner, which were kept alive on penalties on 3rd downs. The officiating needs to be re-vamped.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1mv2il54 said:
rideaducati":1mv2il54 said:
Hawkpower":1mv2il54 said:
rideaducati":1mv2il54 said:
The referees were not the reason the Seahawks lost. We have seen games that were given to Seahawks opponents, but this was not even close to being one of those games.

There's a difference between being THE reason and a PART of the reason why a team loses.

To think that the incompetence that ended up giving AZ a huge advantage last night was in no part a PART of the reason why they lost is ridiculous.

And yes, Seattle played poorly. That doesnt minimize the poor officiating.

I think officiating was pretty far down on the list of reasons why the Seahawks lost. While it was less than ideal, there wasn't an obvious bias that I could see. I fail to see the "huge advantage" the Cards were given by the officials. All the penalties called looked like penalties on replay except the facemask, but that replay showed a player with a different number than the number called by the official. The facemask was called on #79 and they showed #78 on the replay or something like that. Again, not ideal, but not even close to being a factor in the game.

4 delay of games not called.

6 failed 3rd downs extended due to penalties.

The should have been called fumble that led to 3 points.

Not one holding call on AZ despite video evidence to show maulings on nearly every blitz.

4 consecutive drives at 1st and 20 or 25 for Seattle with phantom penalties.

But yeah, other than those 5 things, no factor at all.

Phantom penalties? You may be able to fool yourself, but I ain't buying it. Drives were extended due to ACTUAL penalties. Wagner hit a guy farther than five yards down the field...that is an actual penalty. KJ went helmet to helmet with Fitz...again, a REAL penalty. Earl hit a guy last 5 yards down the field too....quit whining about penalties that ARE PENALTIES being called. If Wagner, KJ, and Earl hadn't hit those guys when and where they hit them, you might have a case, but whining about ACTUAL penalties being called is a bitch move.

12thbrah

Reaction score
It was mentioned before the game that the team officiating last night calls the most holding penalties of any crew. The defensive penalties were mostly legit what killed us were the stupid penalties on offense. Constantly starting 1st and 20+.

Many of those flags on offense came after decent runs too.

Sign37now

Reaction score
This league needs to figure out what a goddamn catch is. How many feet does a guy to have down in the endzone before the ball gets knocked out to call it a catch. Total BS. Giants got totally hosed yesterday on the same bullshit. Do you have to take the ball out to the parking lot and put it in your trunk before it's a damn catch?

chawx

Reaction score
rideaducati":13bpdyw3 said:
Phantom penalties? You may be able to fool yourself, but I ain't buying it. Drives were extended due to ACTUAL penalties. Wagner hit a guy farther than five yards down the field...that is an actual penalty. KJ went helmet to helmet with Fitz...again, a REAL penalty. Earl hit a guy last 5 yards down the field too....quit whining about penalties that ARE PENALTIES being called. If Wagner, KJ, and Earl hadn't hit those guys when and where they hit them, you might have a case, but whining about ACTUAL penalties being called is a bitch move.

Dude. Reading comprehension time. Slowly, read this post before saying anything:

The "Phantom Penalty" was the facemask call on Gilliam at the start of the game and some of the holding calls on us that were never replayed. Sure, technically, it was probably a hold on some/all of those.

What people are whining about (pay attention to this part because you're not getting it) is that the game WAS. NOT. FAIRLY. OFFICIATED.

We got a delay of game penalty called on us. AZ had the clock run out on them 4 (FOUR!) times and didn't get one delay of game.

Watching the game, there were multiple times when AZ ran the ball and Fitz was "blocking" Kam by grabbing him, plus as previously mentioned, Bennett had a ripped jersey from holds on him, and not one holding call was called on AZ. While multiple times we were called for holding.

Consistency and fairness in calls is ALL people are asking for here. No one is bitching that the calls were made, we're bitching that the calls were made ONLY against us when it was a critical part of the game. Wake up.

Also, during the game I send this tweet:
IMG 2332

Noticed who "liked" it afterwards... He might have noticed a hold or two not getting called, maybe?

Fairness. Consistency. That's not a bitch move to ask for that...get your head out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Only losers complain about officiating. Winners overcome bad calls and bad breaks.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
last night they seemed to be unsure what they were seeing and what they were calling. so they were calling a lot of things it's a mess right now in the NFL .

chawx

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18z1ef1i said:
Only losers complain about officiating. Winners overcome bad calls and bad breaks.

I like that you defend this garbage, it's cute, naive, but cute.

When a game isn't called even remotely fair, in this league of parity, no one's going to overcome it—even the Patriots. This is what Vegas/NFL banks on. Too much $$ out there to leave to chance.

Reaction score
I thought it was bad too... but the other way around. Seahawks had multiple very generous spots when they should have failed to reach first downs.

Bad officiating overall though.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tjc1sw0 said:

Overcoming that travesty last night would have been really nice. Nearly impossible when every third down stop you get is negated and nearly every drive starts at 1st and 20....but nice.

Teams shouldnt have to do it though.

Being the "bigger fan" and refusing to acknowledge trash officiating must be the thing to do. Every time we get ripped by the zebras we have four or five fans telling us to 'NOT BLAME THE REFS." Bad plays are fair game, but momentum swinging and consistent bias by the officials apparently is not.

Good to know.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1jr22qvt said:
I thought it was bad too... but the other way around. Seahawks had multiple very generous spots when they should have failed to reach first downs.

Bad officiating overall though.

HAHAHA!!

Multiple generous spots?

You mean like the one they overruled, brought back, and the following play where there was a scrum and you couldnt see jack in the pile? That's the play you are griping about?

That makes up for 4 missed delay of games, a missed fumble, 6 (at least) missed holds, 7 drive extending 3rd down penalties and 4 consecutive 1st and 20 or more?

Yes, that one generous spot that was overruled anyway CERTAINLY swings it in Seattle's favor :roll:

Good Lord.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":15kdurkc said:
Sgt. Largent":15kdurkc said:

Overcoming that travesty last night would have been really nice. Nearly impossible when every third down stop you get is negated and nearly every drive starts at 1st and 20....but nice.

Being the "bigger fan" and refusing to acknowledge trash officiating must be the thing to do. Every time we get ripped by the zebras we have four or five fans telling us to 'NOT BLAME THE REFS." Bad plays are fair game, but momentum swinging and consistent bias by the officials apparently is not.

Good to know.

LOL, right cause Russell didn't really intentionally ground the ball into the stands. Sherman didn't really grab the receiver's jersey like six times, Earl didn't really bump into the receiver, Bobby didn't really illegally push the receiver after 5 yards.

Are you really telling me the 2-3 bad calls against us cost us the game? REALLY?

That's my point. Every time after losses all I see is more fire Bevell threads, Pete sucks, Russell sucks, the officails hate us, the league hates us.

It's all butthurt nonsense. We lost last night because the Cardinals were clutch when it counted, and the 10-15 times we had to be clutch and make the plays, we didn't.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2r2ohzt8 said:
Hawkpower":2r2ohzt8 said:
Sgt. Largent":2r2ohzt8 said:

Good to know.

LOL, right cause Russell didn't really intentionally ground the ball into the stands. Sherman didn't really grab the receiver's jersey like six times, Earl didn't really bump into the receiver, Bobby didn't really illegally push the receiver after 5 yards.

Are you really telling me the 2-3 bad calls against us cost us the game? REALLY?

That's my point. Every time after losses all I see is more fire Bevell threads, Pete sucks, Russell sucks, the officails hate us, the league hates us.

It's all butthurt nonsense. We lost last night because the Cardinals were clutch when it counted, and the 10-15 times we had to be clutch and make the plays, we didn't.

Some of the calls were legit. That's true.

But as we saw when AZ took the field, the refs obviously can use discretion as to when and when not to throw a flag. Seattle lineman were getting horse collared and tackled all night. How many holding calls did AZ receive?

So yes, while Seattle certainly was guilty of a few of those penalties, the timing of the flags was very suspicious considering the momentum that it killed or provided, and the absolute LACK of crucial penalties against AZ.

And yes, in a 7 point game, a few bad calls CAN cost you the game. You know this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3uvusbg9 said:
And yes, in a 7 point game, a few bad calls CAN cost you the game. You know this.

Not if you make the plays you should have, and we had more than enough opportunities to make those plays.

Sure once in a great while one bad call at the end of the game costs a team, but those games are few and far between. What you guys are talking about is over the course of a game (and a season), some calls go against us, some calls go for us.

Sorry man, but this was not one of those games..........and to blame the officials is just butthurt fandom at it's worst. It's loser talk, I guarantee you the players and coaches aren't blaming the refs like you guys.

marko358

Reaction score
Yeah but why is this two years in a row now that our opponents have the least amount of penalties in the league? It just seems so strange that whenever someone plays us, they all of a sudden become so disciplined.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That was horrible officiating job yesterday, by almost every metric.

They got overturned often on review, made a lot of just horrible calls., and looked weak. I won't go there on bias but it sure looked as if they tried to keep the game close. Without a doubt AZ really benefitted from quite a few calls as did Seattle at times too. I think they won more critical yardage on some calls than Seattle did unfortunately and it looked uneven, but if nothing else weak.

The league is responsible for much of this rubbish and the pass catch rules at present are incomprehensible and appear to to be patent rubbish.

to me Seattle's problems appeared to be the same as they have been all season, unable to move the ball when necessary and unable to stop opposing teams in doing so. AZ was better on the evening and deserved their W.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29znnfgt said:
Hawkpower":29znnfgt said:

Not if you make the plays you should have, and we had more than enough opportunities to make those plays.

Sure once in a great while one bad call at the end of the game costs a team, but those games are few and far between. What you guys are talking about is over the course of a game (and a season), some calls go against us, some calls go for us.

Sorry man, but this was not one of those games..........and to blame the officials is just butthurt fandom at it's worst. It's loser talk, I guarantee you the players and coaches aren't blaming the refs like you guys.

How many of Arizona's scoring drives would have never been if not for a flag? 4? How many drives may have stalled had they whistled the 4 delay of games that they missed.

How many Seattle drives may have ended in points had they not started of 1st and 20? The first time we got one after 4 in a row we scored a TD in 6 plays.

The fumble nonsense was 3 points in its own right.

It doesnt have to be "at the end of the game" for it to impact that outcome.

If you want to believe that you are a more sophisticated fan because you refuse to acknowledge the role terrible officiating can have on a game, so be it. Seattle could and should have played better. They may have been able to win in spite of it.

But they shouldnt have to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
marko358":3on3pkcb said:
Yeah but why is this two years in a row now that our opponents have the least amount of penalties in the league? It just seems so strange that whenever someone plays us, they all of a sudden become so disciplined.

Shouldn't you be asking why we continue to be the most undisciplined and penalized team in the league?

Even if it's a reputation thing, it's real and that means you need to start coaching and training differently in order to stop it. Why aren't we doing that? Again, goes back to Pete's stubbornness to change.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
In a game of parity where inches and momentum are the difference a few bad calls can definitely affect the game. Add in a quality opponent and a few bad missed calls the other way and you are now talking about overwhelming odds.

Nearly every drive in the first half started from around our 10 yard line with 20 or more yards needed for a first down. Meanwhile nearly every AZ drive was assisted by critical 3rd down penalties that converted many failed attempts.

They never once showed a replay of the holds we were supposedly commiting but you could see on every AZ run Fitz providing the text book example of what is suppose to be called holding by grabbing Kam's jersey outside the shoulders and yet not one single holding call on him or any other Card all game long.

Calling holding or face mask on the first play of nearly every drive completely destroyed our game plan because we could no longer have a balanced attack. It sets you up for s very ugly pick 6 because your opponent knows you have to throw.

It's nice to say officiating doesn't matter. It sounds good but if that were true it means that parity is a lie or that you believe we are so much better than the competition that even the refs can't hurt us.

I'm sorry but I don't agree.

Latest posts