Officiating

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I didn't think the officiating was bad at all. I think our team should stop committing penalties.

marko358

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fxmatlc said:
marko358":1fxmatlc said:
Yeah but why is this two years in a row now that our opponents have the least amount of penalties in the league? It just seems so strange that whenever someone plays us, they all of a sudden become so disciplined.

Shouldn't you be asking why we continue to be the most undisciplined and penalized team in the league?

Even if it's a reputation thing, it's real and that means you need to start coaching and training differently in order to stop it. Why aren't we doing that? Again, goes back to Pete's stubbornness to change.

I agree with that viewpoint as well. It still seems odd that blatant holds and several delay of games penalties weren't called last night and that our opponents statistically have their best game penalty-wise when they face us.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yaglray said:
marko358":1yaglray said:
Yeah but why is this two years in a row now that our opponents have the least amount of penalties in the league? It just seems so strange that whenever someone plays us, they all of a sudden become so disciplined.

Shouldn't you be asking why we continue to be the most undisciplined and penalized team in the league?

Even if it's a reputation thing, it's real and that means you need to start coaching and training differently in order to stop it. Why aren't we doing that? Again, goes back to Pete's stubbornness to change.

Our opponents failing to get penalized has nothing to do with our penalties or discipline.

It goes to show a pattern in which Seattle opponents get away with murder every week. Just like last night.

Fine, call all of those penalties against Seattle. But call them against AZ too for gods sake.

Be consistent. Thats all we ask.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2ehceouh said:
I didn't think the officiating was bad at all. I think our team should stop committing penalties.

So teams should be able to hold without consequence and routinely snap the ball well after the play clock has expired?

Ok.

I agree we should stop committing penalties. I just wish that our opponents would get called for theirs as well.

Not too much to ask, is it?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":meqcdbaa said:
marko358":meqcdbaa said:

I thin people are asking that question. Considering how many penalties, like holding, are judgement calls, it's amazing that they "judgement" never seems to go against the opposing team. (and they couldn't even get the non-judgment calls like delay of game right!)

It's fine to think the Seahawks should overcome it, but at some point it becomes ridiculous. It's tough to "make a play to win the game" when the play you make is always called back for a penalty.

To me, it was Super Bowl XL all over again, which was largely a watershed moment for me watching football. I realized I should not let something I don't control have such an influence on my mood. Sure, I still follow the Seahawks but I do it mostly online and seldom watch the games. I actually turned off the game last night pretty early on when it started to get that XL* feel. I followed the game online but I wasn't going to let it put me in too foul of a mood.

My point in saying all that is that the NFL needs to watch out. They are the most popular sport by far but they can't just take that for granted. They do run the risk of alienating fans. I know plenty of people who only watch College Football because they think the NFL is dirty. Whether the NFL is actually dirty or not, they are developing a perception problem.

A

Anonymous

Inadvertently brushing the jersey of a receiver without impeding him in any way should not be a foul.

Similar to screening a player in the game of basketball in anticipation of a rebound, a DB routinely reaches back with his arms in order to place and find the receiver by touching his clothing or lightly touching the body as he looks back toward the QB for the throw and/or the ball. This is not a penalty either. Doing so in such a way as to impede or inhibit that receiver's right to the catch the ball, or traverse the playing surface, IS a foul.

Both were called fouls last night, seemingly on every pass play. Disgusting.

Apparently, if a DB is close enough to smell the wind whistling by Fitzgerald, that's a flag too.

:roll:

charcoalbg

Reaction score
Last night game officiating was very XLesque, yes contenders and very good teams should overcome crap officiating. But last night when the calls were slanted towards Ari favor in a close game is way too much especially coming from behind 19 points (3 scores realistically). That early facemask call really set the tone for how the officials going to call the game. But Ari with 4 delay of game missed but called 1 against Sea I knew the NFL was not going to have Seattle back into playoffs for 3 straight times for a chance to get to another Super Bowl. They want the larger markets to get in to get more revenue. I am not inferring Ari is that poster child, but they definitely do not want Sea have any chance to win the NFC West at least.

With those constant 20 and 25 yards to get a first down in first half even top teams like NE/GB etc would be hard pressed to convert most of those. But this is the problem of our crap offensive gameplan, absolutely no situational awareness which is better discussed on the bashing Bevell threads.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
rideaducati":3cz7gx3l said:
Phantom penalties? You may be able to fool yourself, but I ain't buying it. Drives were extended due to ACTUAL penalties. Wagner hit a guy farther than five yards down the field...that is an actual penalty. KJ went helmet to helmet with Fitz...again, a REAL penalty. Earl hit a guy last 5 yards down the field too....quit whining about penalties that ARE PENALTIES being called. If Wagner, KJ, and Earl hadn't hit those guys when and where they hit them, you might have a case, but whining about ACTUAL penalties being called is a bitch move.

I'm sorry but Earl's penalty was completely weak, Earl has every right to the spot he was on it was more the WR running into him them him initiating contact. But whatever, Seattle choked away another game. It's becoming ridiculous.

The most baffling things was them trying for a 2 point conversion instead of taking a kicking the EP for a 5 point lead, That made zero sense. Britt was called for a weak hold where Lynch had a 10+ yard run, that scuttled that drive late in the game. The refs were an issue, but Seattle added with self inflicted wounds.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":t0du7alk said:
Sgt. Largent":t0du7alk said:
marko358":t0du7alk said:

Our opponents failing to get penalized has nothing to do with our penalties or discipline.

It goes to show a pattern in which Seattle opponents get away with murder every week. Just like last night.

Fine, call all of those penalties against Seattle. But call them against AZ too for gods sake.

What game changing horrible penalties did the Cards commit that you're talking about? I saw a missed delay of game, I saw maybe a couple holds............judgement call penalties.

Here's the thing, we're used to seeing our penalty committing undisciplined Hawks play every week continuing their penalty making ways.

So could it be that other teams are just more disciplined? To say it's some sort of league conspiracy or OMG what a coincidence! Just nonsense man, utter nonsense.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'm not one to usually complain about officiating, but we were jobbed in this game multiple times. Its hard to start drives in our momentum-based offense when you start every drive 1st and 20. That said, my wife was watching the game with me and she doesn't know a lot about the rules of football, so I was explaining to her what was going on every time the clock stopped. When we scored on the strip-sack, my wife looked at me and said,
"Are you sure they scored? Don't the refs have to stop the game and read the rule book again?"

HawkGA

Reaction score
I hopes. Saw article talking about it this morning and it embedded some gifs, but they didn't work.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hopefully when our All-22 crew gets up and running we can see some of the more controversial penalties ad the (non)fumble.

drrew

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8sctm956 said:
What game changing horrible penalties did the Cards commit that you're talking about? I saw a missed delay of game, I saw maybe a couple holds............judgement call penalties.

Since when is delay of game (and it happened at least twice that I clearly noticed, others say four times) a judgement call penalty?

Repeatedly missing delay of game is just bad officiating and there's no excuse for it happen except on rare occasions.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Exittium":vwvdkmes said:
TheTruthHurts":vwvdkmes said:
Seriously?

I felt like the official's tried to keep the Seahawks in this game.

Anyways the better team won.
No they didn't lol did you watch the game? It was damn obvious wth was up. Man, i acceot the fact our team may be bad, and isnt like previous years. But tonight it was damn obvious the refs helped AZ. This was a damn gifted win from the start with fhe phantom face mask.
The phony "Face Mask" call was a dead giveaway that the Seahawks were going to lose.
I watched a LOT of Cardinals Blatantly holding, both on Offense, & Defense and getting away with it.

I'm done with my snivel, as it doesn't make a damned bit of difference anyways, we're stuck with the inept League Officiating machine, and they will NEVER be held accountable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1zenfrq8 said:
The phony "Face Mask" call was a dead giveaway that the Seahawks were going to lose.

Yep, right then we knew the fix was in. Obviously the league hates us and never wants us to win another SB.

It certainly wasn't the 39 points we gave up at home, or the 50 yards of total offense in the first half, or the defense's inability to get to Palmer until late, or Pete's stubbornness to change tactics, or Russell being like 13 of 30 passing and making bonehead decisions, or Sherman not covering his own man and trusting his teammates, or Bobby shoving a WR who wasn't even in the play, or Williams being such a bitch he couldn't even get off a block to stop the winning TD, or the Cards converting on 80% of their 3rd downs, or Jimmy dropping balls, or our O-line blocking like a bunch of high schoolers.

Nope, definitely the refs and league hating us so bad that they want to stop us any way possible. Why? idk, but it's so obvious!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Vpk0718":cqbmi0un said:
Done being a part of this whiny fanbase. Ban me, don't care, you all are bunch of whiny bitches.

You won't be missed.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jtf7kbi said:
Hawkpower":3jtf7kbi said:
Sgt. Largent":3jtf7kbi said:
marko358":3jtf7kbi said:

Here's the thing, we're used to seeing our penalty committing undisciplined Hawks play every week continuing their penalty making ways.

So could it be that other teams are just more disciplined? To say it's some sort of league conspiracy or OMG what a coincidence! Just nonsense man, utter nonsense.

I never claimed it was a league conspiracy. I said bad officiating helped to cost us the game.

Seems from this thread you are in the minority in believing otherwise.....which is fine, but you may want to consider why that is.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18sd3uk8 said:
marko358":18sd3uk8 said:

Seattle was 6th least penalized team until Sunday night, so no. your perception is not reality. Previous years, yes, but this year? No.

However, teams playing vs Seattle being called for less penalties than they commit on average is a two year reality. It is a fact, not an imaginary persecutorial complex.

Fans complaining that Fitz was grabbing Chancellor didn't imagine the non calls. They were uncalled holds. Fans complaining that Peterson never got called for holding, but was just as grabby as Sherman, aren't imagining it. Fans complaining that our first drive was torpedoed by an imaginary facemask are not imagining it.

Fans who notice that the Hawks have 5 first downs via penalty all year, when the league average is 19, are not imagining it.

Call it loser complaining all you want. I prefer facts. While you and the knee jerk fan who screams fixed! every time his team loses occupy opposite ends of the spectrum, neither of you represent a balanced look at the facts. Pretending that great teams can overcome bad calls through pure effort of will and desire to win is just as crazy as dropping Vegas into the conversation about one sided officiating.

So rather that play the better fan card, which is what you are doing, perhaps you can offer a more rational explanation as to why fans of both teams witnessed one of the most incompetently officiated games of the year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2k7xmtjh said:
So rather that play the better fan card, which is what you are doing, perhaps you can offer a more rational explanation as to why fans of both teams witnessed one of the most incompetently officiated games of the year.

Because that's the state of the NFL ref in 2015. Do you think the inconsistent reffing is unique to Seattle? Look around, it's systemic all over the league, EVERY weekend............and it has been for years.

Why? Because the league continues to meddle with the rules every off season making it virtually impossible for the refs to do their job. Every time there's an important controversial call, the competition committee makes three new rules that the refs has to try and figure out how to call. It's why games are four hours long now with all the stoppages, challenges, ref conferences and penalties.

So I do acknowledge the terrible reffing, but unlike you I'm not using it as a reason we lost. Does that make me a better fan? No, but it certainly makes me a more well informed and reasonable fan.