Ohhhh the missed call on Wagz

253hawk

Reaction score
If the whole rule change was for player safety, then why allow players to jump the line at all? Wagner only touched his teammates for balance when he was already at the apex of his jump (no leverage needed), because it's an instinctual thing to do when catching your feet on someone can flip you onto your face. Not allowing the jumper to touch anyone for stabilization and balance seems counter-intuitive to safety if they're going to allow line hurdling.

That means it was a judgment call, and I think the refs got it right. If Minnesota had done it to us, I wouldn't even be mad about it. Blocking FGs is rare enough as it is; it's nice to see athleticism involved as opposed to someone just failing to contain the edge, which is about the only other time a FG is blocked that isn't the direct result of a crappy hold/kick.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2rkulzls said:
West TX Hawk":2rkulzls said:
So give Minn a 1st down and assume they score a TD. We still drove 63 yards for a TD and then the strip sack TD happened after. We still win and this is a giant moot point. The media is making it out like Wagner was drunk in a yacht off Catalina Island and assaulted someone...

The strip sack and the 63-yard drive wouldn't have happened because the rest of the game would have played out completely differently. The Seahawks might have still won or the Vikings might have won, but we'll never know because everything after would have been different.
I guess he missed "back to the future " :roll:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28ppd2cf said:
DomeHawk":28ppd2cf said:
I think everyone here is missing the salient point.

Rule:
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

He touched players in the action of leaping over players, NOT TO GAIN ADDITIONAL HEIGHT TO BLOCK THE KICK.

The height that he gained to block the kick came about from leaping from flat ground without any leverage.

And you guys are fixating on the gain height part and ignoring the OR parts................"attempt to block an opponent's kick."

Did Bobby use a teammate to "attempt to block the kick"? Yes.
Did Bobby use a teammate to "jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick"? Yes.

Not sure why you're still arguing, it was a penalty. It's about as clear as it gets. Can't put your hands on a teammate, as Pete talked about post presser.

The rule doesn't say "use a teammate to attempt to block a kick". The rule says "Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain ADDITIONAL height" (emphasis added). He gained no ADDITIONAL height from placing his hands on his teammates.

Your second point is wrong as well because again the rule says the touching is for purposes of gaining ADDITIONAL height to block, attempt to block or to jump through a gap.

So to say it another way using the transitive property: Placing the hand or hands on a teammate or an opponent is OK as long as it's not for gaining ADDITIONAL height to block or attempt to block an opponents kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick or apparent kick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He gained absolutely nothing from it, he didn't even push off. But yeah, let's just dwell on it and act like it was a "horrible call" that benefited the Hawks. Because the Vikes had no calls help them out :?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
HawkGA":6bb9fznm said:
I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread or not, but listening to the Pete Carroll show and he said that you are allowed to touch your teammates. For what it's worth.

This is the key. You can touch teammates so long as it's not for the purposes of gaining ADDITIONAL height. Wagz didn't gain ADDITIONAL height, end of story. This BS about leverage is not in the rule so it's a bunch of smoke.

253hawk

Reaction score
SeaWolv":blxwo52e said:
HawkGA":blxwo52e said:
I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread or not, but listening to the Pete Carroll show and he said that you are allowed to touch your teammates. For what it's worth.

This is the key. You can touch teammates so long as it's not for the purposes of gaining ADDITIONAL height. Wagz didn't gain ADDITIONAL height, end of story. This BS about leverage is not in the rule so it's a bunch of smoke.

Just like you can touch a WR in coverage all the way down the field and vice versa, so long as you don't alter their path egregiously by pushing or pulling.

I mean, there's a reason they picked up the flag after discussing it. Blame this on the NFL for adding ticky-tacky nuances where judgment is now involved when it was perfectly black and white before and no one besides Redface Arians whined about it because his coaching sucked and got exposed by it.