Ohhhh the missed call on Wagz

TreeRon

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2fi0ohbk said:
Uncle Si":2fi0ohbk said:
Jeremy517":2fi0ohbk said:
Uncle Si":2fi0ohbk said:
did he gain height?

He did it to jump through the gap, which is the second no-no listed in the rule.

If he used his hands as leverage. But he didnt gain height, and he didnt gain acceleration. Maybe balance.

The gain height part is irrelevant. Here's the rule, reformatted to make it easier to read:

Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent:
(A) to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick
OR
(B) in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

Not guilty of A, guilty of B.
He did not jump through a gap. There was no gap. He jumped OVER the two lines, landed on the ground and then jumped again and blocked the kick.
Pete said they had been practicing this all week.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It's a stupid rule, to begin with. I'm glad they picked up the flag.

The cool thing about the rule is it was made because of the Seahawks jumping the line.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1b072o61 said:
Uncle Si":1b072o61 said:
did he gain height?

Yeah, both height and propelled himself through the gap.

giphy.gif

Giphy

Show me the part where after he touches his teammates shoulders his head shoots up allowing him to gain additional elevation? I'll wait...

What I see is the top of his helmet stays on an even plane throughout the process of the touch. Forward propulsion is not mentioned in the rule, only elevation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3kwt0fmz said:
was the reason the Vikings lost. WTH. How is this the headline!? Stupid media.

Well if you're trying to polish a turd of a defensive struggle type of low scoring game in order to get national viewers to read your article or watch your show.................you start with this headline.

But yes, overall it was a poorly officiated game.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What bugs me is that he was flagged for jumping over the line but that is allowed (apparently) if you are lined up on the line of scrimmage so that's why the flag was picked up. This idea that he was flagged because he used leverage and that was the flag that was picked up is wrong. Willfully wrong.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1vdkmsvo said:
What bugs me is that he was flagged for jumping over the line but that is allowed (apparently) if you are lined up on the line of scrimmage so that's why the flag was picked up. This idea that he was flagged because he used leverage and that was the flag that was picked up is wrong. Willfully wrong.

It was wrong, he did use leverage. So not sure what your point is.

The player is allowed to be on the line and jump over, just can't use other players (leverage). Wagner used leverage. So yeah, flag should have stood.

StoneCold

Reaction score
SeaWolv":73cftdq7 said:
SeaWolv":73cftdq7 said:
I'd really love to see the play in slowmo.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH64zj2bg2c

Should have been called. I wish it had so we could have stuffed them one more time. I'm of the opinion of Pete Carrol, that was some beautiful football. Smash mouth, hard nosed, wake up sore for the next few days football. Yeah baby!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":12jk606x said:
Sgt. Largent":12jk606x said:
HawkGA":12jk606x said:

It was wrong, he did use leverage. So not sure what your point is.

The player is allowed to be on the line and jump over, just can't use other players (leverage). Wagner used leverage. So yeah, flag should have stood.

Leverage is defined as gaining additional height. He didn't so that.

Leverage is now defined as

Mike Pereira

Verified account

@MikePereira
12h12 hours ago
More
Lots of talk about the Wagner block. The wording in the rule book is NEW this year and is clear. The new wording states, "May not place a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick or apparent kick." Case closed. Foul.

Says nothing about gaining additional height.

Pete even commented on the penalty after the game, said Bobby was doing it in practice without putting his hands on his teammates, so that's why they told him to try it.

Chapow

Reaction score
Apparently it should have been a penalty.

Oh well.

D

DomeHawk

I think everyone here is missing the salient point.

Rule:
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

He touched players in the action of leaping over players, NOT TO GAIN ADDITIONAL HEIGHT TO BLOCK THE KICK.

The height that he gained to block the kick came about from leaping from flat ground without any leverage.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I thought a penalty was warranted.

But now I watch it again, and it appears he jumps high enough to clear the players and merely uses his hands to guide himself forward. He’s not “gaining height” from his use of hands.

giphy.gif

It’s a close call on further inspection. It wasn’t the worst call in the world to not call that penalty. But if they try something like that again, they will have to be more careful with their hand usage. That could have been a really bad penalty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2ygu1jej said:

Rule:
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

He touched players in the action of leaping over players, NOT TO GAIN ADDITIONAL HEIGHT TO BLOCK THE KICK.

The height that he gained to block the kick came about from leaping from flat ground without any leverage.

And you guys are fixating on the gain height part and ignoring the OR parts................"attempt to block an opponent's kick."

Did Bobby use a teammate to "attempt to block the kick"? Yes.
Did Bobby use a teammate to "jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick"? Yes.

Not sure why you're still arguing, it was a penalty. It's about as clear as it gets. Can't put your hands on a teammate, as Pete talked about post presser.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":2gud96qr said:
DomeHawk":2gud96qr said:

Rule:

And you guys are fixating on the gain height part and ignoring the OR parts................"attempt to block an opponent's kick."

Did Bobby use a teammate to "jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick"? Yes.

Not sure why you're still arguing, it was a penalty. It's about as clear as it gets. Can't put your hands on a teammate, as Pete talked about post presser.

Did Bobby use a teammate to "attempt to block the kick"? Yes. Nope, he used a teammate to leap over a player.

Did Bobby use a teammate to "jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick"? Yes. Yes and no, he used a teammate to jump through a gap, but after he did that he jumped from flat ground to block the kick without any assistance or "leverage" to block the kick.

It's clearly not a penalty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1l2evk9i said:
Sgt. Largent":1l2evk9i said:
DomeHawk":1l2evk9i said:

Rule:

Did Bobby use a teammate to "attempt to block the kick"? Yes. Nope, he used a teammate to leap over a player.

Did Bobby use a teammate to "jump through a gap to block an opponent's kick"? Yes. Yes and no, he used a teammate to jump through a gap, but after he did that he jumped from flat ground to block the kick without any assistance or "leverage" to block the kick.

Lol. If you put your hands on a teammate, you "used them." That's why the rule was changed, no touching of teammates.

All I can say is I'm glad the refs were as confused about the rule as you guys are.

D

DomeHawk

DomeHawk":h72lncph said:
Sgt. Largent":h72lncph said:
DomeHawk":h72lncph said:

Rule:

The penalty was written to stop players from running up to the line of scrimmage and jump on a player(s) to "gain additional height" to block a kick. That clearly didn't happen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not to get too much in the weeds, but you could argue if Wagner "used" his teammates. Like redefining of a catch if you will.

But its not worth it. They picked up the flag. They talked about it and went with this decision.

Living here in MN i am surprised that the focus of discussion this morning is their offense, not the call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2mhwbg4d said:
Living here in MN i am surprised that the focus of discussion this morning is their offense, not the call.

Well their offense has been underachieving all year. For a team with all those weapons and that went out and got Cousins and the #1 new hotness coordinator in the off season, I can understand the frustration. They should be much better.

Plus I think every fanbase has come to grips that the refs just flat out suck, so it's expected that they're gonna blow calls in every game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":luzyfm91 said:
Uncle Si":luzyfm91 said:

Well their offense has been underachieving all year. For a team with all those weapons and that went out and got Cousins and the #1 new hotness coordinator in the off season, I can understand the frustration. They should be much better.

Plus I think every fanbase has come to grips that the refs just flat out suck, so it's expected that they're gonna blow calls in every game.

Usually Vikings fans focus on the absurd notion THEY have been selected for torture. A careful resignment that tgeir issues arent petty forces of nature but actual, tangible struggles was a refreshing change.