OK

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":1k2241mj said:
LOL I think the middle 3 are okay we just need 2 good tackles and no Cable

Every single person I hear on the radio, tv or read from coaches, ex coaches, players, etc say that Cable is one of the greatest O-line coaches of all time.

So it can't be Cable, other than the fact that Pete and John rely on him too much each year to make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

I don't care if you dig up Vince Lombardi himself, no one could make our terrible line play well this year, especially with a gimpy Russell and no consistent RB carrying the load.

Cable's worked out great here, so not being able to get the line to work this year when all he's done is work miracles with other terrible lines isn't on him. How bout giving the man some talent to work with for once?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":2pmx33ul said:
Dude there is no straw man argument at all, what you are suggesting is a band aid not a fix. I want a fix the band aid thing has not been working. So I want a fix to the problem, what you ar suggesting is not a fix but a band aid.

You honestly cannot see the hypocrisy in suggesting that your idea is the fix and his is the band aid? That's the straw man.. he's not suggesting more of the same.. but you are arguing against it anyways.

Keep it as it is, make some changes, coach it better and let continuity play out= band aid

go out and find new guys (the same thing that happened last year)= fix

(all that said... we need two new starters on the OL.. atleast)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2obrim7x said:
Anthony!":2obrim7x said:

Every single person I hear on the radio, tv or read from coaches, ex coaches, players, etc say that Cable is one of the greatest O-line coaches of all time.

So it can't be Cable, other than the fact that Pete and John rely on him too much each year to make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

I don't care if you dig up Vince Lombardi himself, no one could make our terrible line play well this year, especially with a gimpy Russell and no consistent RB carrying the load.

Cable's worked out great here, so not being able to get the line to work this year when all he's done is work miracles with other terrible lines isn't on him. How bout giving the man some talent to work with for once?

Now that is some serious laughing material there. Cable best of all time? Based on what, name recognition?
Does pass blocking EVER matter at ALL???
WTF? Top pass blocking ranking of #20 in the league with most seasons #24-32??? And this includes the top paid Oline in the NFL in 2013!

Want to keep Cable? Then better bring in Tebow and buy an Oline and RB with the $$ saved. Wilson, Graham, Baldwin are all wasted by the Bevell / Cable joke going on here.

I won't bother to even "hope" for better players along the oline anymore. It's a complete waste of time with Cable here. Hype him all you want, but some day just ask yourself why he (they) have no better offers to consider....EVER.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1a4ozagn said:
Sgt. Largent":1a4ozagn said:
Anthony!":1a4ozagn said:

Now that is some serious laughing material there. Cable best of all time? Based on what, name recognition?
WTF? Top pass blocking ranking of #20 in the league with most seasons #24-32??? And this includes the top paid Oline in the NFL in 2013!

Want to keep Cable? Then better bring in Tebow and buy an Oline and RB with the $$ saved. Wilson, Graham, Baldwin are all wasted by the Bevell / Cable joke going on here.

I won't bother to even "hope" for better players along the oline anymore. It's a complete waste of time with Cable here. Hype him all you want, but some day just ask yourself why he (they) have no better offers to consider....EVER.

I said ONE of the best of all time.........and you can laugh all you want, but it's true. Gibbs, Mudd, and Cable is talked about in that group, by real football people, not chicken littles on a football forum.

You don't have a top 2-3 Rushing offense for almost 10 years with a garbage line for the majority of those years if Cable stinks.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Before Cable got here we were very glad to get him.

We have been a little snakebit injury wise, and made some poor choices in both FA and the draft on OL.

I think we have a good solid group from guard to guard, as they are past their baptism. They learned a lot this year and improvement should be expected. If it doesn't happen then it could be coaching or just bad choices. There is too much grey area to simply point a finger at any of those, it just needs to play out.

Dallas has 3 #1 choices on their o-line, and now they are going to have to pay those guys because the rookie contracts are coming due.

These are large problems that posters like anthony! don't get. He says, "I want it fixed". Hahahaha. Everyone wants it fixed but the processes to fix are complex.

His God (RW) is making 22 million dollars on the cap. Do the math with the rest of the team and tell us a way to fix it sir !.

The only thing you have dealt out here are insults and zero ways to fix it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3h674ehq said:
Seymour":3h674ehq said:
Sgt. Largent":3h674ehq said:
Anthony!":3h674ehq said:

I said ONE of the best of all time.........and you can laugh all you want, but it's true. Gibbs, Mudd, and Cable is talked about in that group, by real football people, not chicken littles on a football forum.

You don't have a top 2-3 Rushing offense for almost 10 years with a garbage line for the majority of those years if Cable stinks.

WTF is with the name calling around here? Is that some sort of earned privilege?

Anyway back to the post. Listen to Holmgren on Cable sometime. When he gets done "praising" him, he disagrees with nearly every move he makes. Listen to Sapp (or read up) on him sometime, basically called the guy an idiot. Plenty in the know have gone on record to call the guy out.

Ohhhh that's right..... they must be "Chicken Littles" too!!

Since you never answered....I guess pass blocking and the health of your franchise player does not matter to you. Cool.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q3hfkivy said:
Anthony!":q3hfkivy said:

Yeah, that is just a media urban legend. They will repeat stuff they also hear and not look it up. Field Gulls destroyed him and he has been fired in 3 years at every coaching stop from 1998-2010. So to me that says football people know he is a joke.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hlesdbx said:
Anthony!":3hlesdbx said:

He is know as a great oline coach but mainly around the run game historically his pass blocking has been bad.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Anthony!":1u5lxpr8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1u5lxpr8 said:
Anthony!":1u5lxpr8 said:

his pass blocking has been bad.

He doesn't block. He is a coach. What is your fix?...your way to make it better while staying under the salary cap?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3cn9yv60 said:

Educate yourself on the subject. Just because you heard it on the radio / TV does not make it valid.

http://12thmanrising.com/2016/12/30/tom-cable-seahawks-inevitable-breakup/

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/6/27/12023086/seahawks-offensive-line-tom-cable-hot-seat

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...72/seahawks-run-game-pass-pro-sacks-tom-cable

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Warren-Sapp-Rips-Into-Tom-Cable-81543512.html

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is my take on Cable.

The guy transformed our line after Walter and Hutch were long gone. If you remember, at that time our line wasn't much better than now.

I have to give the guy a pass for this last year considering Gilliam was penciled in a s LT starter pre draft. They didn't draft for that position. Gilliam sucked at it. The hired Sowell and Webb...OMG. Terrible OL that were run out of town in their cities.

We saw what happened. Sowell took over for Gilliam who went back to RT. Gilliam struggled at RT in a position he manned for over a year. Sowell sucked at LT, then got injured and we were left with Fant. He had not played football at all in college yet Sowell could NOT beat him out once his injury was over. Webb was long gonw, a disaterus cut and salary cap hit. a terrible signing.

Fant struggled but given the fact he was thrown to the wolves he played incredibly considering the circumstances.

Ifedi had to try to pick up Cables system. Tough being a rookie, and Glowinski was a redshirt rookie.

All these guys were newbies in the system.

I gotta give them a pass and also let Cable off the hook for last year.

This next year...is the key for me.

Cable is going to be evaluated.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Seymour":2e8mvvgm said:
Sgt. Largent":2e8mvvgm said:

Educate yourself on the subject. Just because you heard it on the radio / TV does not make it valid.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/6/27/12023086/seahawks-offensive-line-tom-cable-hot-seat

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...72/seahawks-run-game-pass-pro-sacks-tom-cable

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Warren-Sapp-Rips-Into-Tom-Cable-81543512.html
I am indifferent about Cable. I see why many are frustrated with him, and I share a lot of that at times. I think his overall evaluation of talent just is not good and is given too much say on the personnel of the OL....that is his weakness IMO. We have seen him turn McQuistan into a serviceable player, turn Ungers career around and we have seen guys drafted high struggle under him as well.

I believe he is a very good COACH that has a system that takes young guys awhile to grasp. He is stubborn with a big ego to want a certain type of player to mold a certain type of why. Causes them to miss much more talented players because they aren't Cables type of guys. They just need to get him away from the college and player personnel department IMO.

Side note: Someone writing an article on a Seahawks fan website is no more valid than someone on the radio, ex-player, tv analyst just because they agree with your opinion.

Seymour

Reaction score
pcbball12":3rkvs9r2 said:
Side note: Someone writing an article on a Seahawks fan website is no more valid than someone on the radio, ex-player, tv analyst just because they agree with your opinion.

I would completely agree. But the difference is, rather than just name toss out a known name, they do at least go into detail as to why, show the X's and O's, give facts that are otherwise are just blown off or not even know...ect, to make their case. This at least is a start to give some solid ground to base THEIR opinion, not just someone else's passed along. Beyond that I suggest most people should trust what they see.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Seymour":122wk6bo said:
pcbball12":122wk6bo said:

I would completely agree. But the difference is, rather than just name toss out a known name, they do at least go into detail as to why, show the X's and O's, give facts that are otherwise are just blown off or not even know...ect, to make their case. This at least is a start to give some solid ground to base THEIR opinion, not just someone else's passed along. Beyond that I suggest most people should trust what they see.
I agree, and like the work of the writers on Fieldgulls most of the time. The problem is, they write on what they see. What I mean is, they (like many of us) observe what the players are executing. This doesn't take into account what they are taught, what goes on at practice, etc. A coach can only do so much, he cannot go play for them.

Execution was terrible last year and I tend to fall on the side of inexperience playing the biggest part in that. It is hard enough for a rookie to adjust to the speed of the NFL and look good doing it. It is even harder in a zone blocking scheme, where it is not as simple as "line up and knock the shit out of whoever is in front of you". The fact that a guy who didn't even have real experience playing football was playing LT, a raw/fundementally messed up player was playing RG, a first year starter was playing LG, it should not be surprising the results we got....especially in this scheme. I actually really like the interior 3 going forward and the struggles they went through last year will pay off huge dividends this year and beyond. And I love the potential of Fant, but he still should not be starting at LT this year and should have never been starting last year. We need a vet to come in and play LT for a year or two and then maybe Fant can take the reigns.

Now, is it his fault or the FO fault we were in that position? Probably both. Like I said, I think Cable has too much say on the personnel side of things and his ego causes him to think he can turn anything into functional. His role in acquiring players needs to be reduced dramatically. But, I think as a coach he is tremendous and we will see the unit make a huge turn this year.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I am of belief that getting a rock solid Tackle in FA would do wonders in turning the unit into a very good unit. I like the idea of going hard after Whitworth. Give him a 2 year deal, plug him in at LT. This allows you to continue to develop Fant, but you aren't relying on him...how it should be right now. Allow Gilliam and Odi to battle it out at RT.

I agree with Calais Campbell being the number 1 target on D for me in FA. a 3 Tech that can penetrate on early downs but still is a dog in the run game would change the defense. There are other options out there, this is a pretty good 3 tech FA class. But, Calais would be my first target there. We could get both of those deals done with our cap room....it is not one or the other like some think.

In the draft, I want to inject some youth into the secondary and I want a legitimate starter at SAM. 1st round I would hope Haason Reddick would fall to that spot because I believe we can get a legit starter at CB in round 2 or 3. OLB is not as deep as the DB's in this class. If it fell that way I would look to add Kevin King, Rasul Douglas Tre'Davious White in round 2 (this is assuming each of Sidney Jones, Gareon Conley, Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey,Teez Tabor, and Cordea Tankersly are all gone by our pick in Round 2). I also really like Ahkello Witherspoon from Colorado. 6'3 195 and is a PBU monster, really long with good feet and hips. He is not being talked about in first 3 rounds but I could see him rising up.

Safety I am eyeing is Tedric Thompson out of Colorado, John Johnson, Obi Melifonwu, and Justin Evans (outside of possibility of Jabril or Budda in Rd 1). Could probably get Tedric and Johnson in Rd 3. Evans and Obi probably cost Rd 2 if they even fall that far. So, if they decided to go Safety round 2 with one of those 2 and try and see if one of those corners falls to round 3 I could be behind that as well.

emurri

Reaction score
I think, like everyone, we need to get o-line help some way. That can be through the draft, free agency or simple improvement from the guys we already have, whatever it is it has to improve. I agree we need some help in the secondary. But one thing I really want to see is a dominate running game. I think it helps Wilson but it also brings an attitude and toughness our team has lacked the past few years especially last year. We need to be the bully we were in years past. Build a tough o-lne and a dominate running game and I think we improve defensively as well (i.e. the pass rush).

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":29v24yij said:
I am of belief that getting a rock solid Tackle in FA would do wonders in turning the unit into a very good unit. I like the idea of going hard after Whitworth. Give him a 2 year deal, plug him in at LT. This allows you to continue to develop Fant, but you aren't relying on him...how it should be right now. Allow Gilliam and Odi to battle it out at RT.

I agree with Calais Campbell being the number 1 target on D for me in FA. a 3 Tech that can penetrate on early downs but still is a dog in the run game would change the defense. There are other options out there, this is a pretty good 3 tech FA class. But, Calais would be my first target there. We could get both of those deals done with our cap room....it is not one or the other like some think.

In the draft, I want to inject some youth into the secondary and I want a legitimate starter at SAM. 1st round I would hope Haason Reddick would fall to that spot because I believe we can get a legit starter at CB in round 2 or 3. OLB is not as deep as the DB's in this class. If it fell that way I would look to add Kevin King, Rasul Douglas Tre'Davious White in round 2 (this is assuming each of Sidney Jones, Gareon Conley, Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey,Teez Tabor, and Cordea Tankersly are all gone by our pick in Round 2). I also really like Ahkello Witherspoon from Colorado. 6'3 195 and is a PBU monster, really long with good feet and hips. He is not being talked about in first 3 rounds but I could see him rising up.

Safety I am eyeing is Tedric Thompson out of Colorado, John Johnson, Obi Melifonwu, and Justin Evans (outside of possibility of Jabril or Budda in Rd 1). Could probably get Tedric and Johnson in Rd 3. Evans and Obi probably cost Rd 2 if they even fall that far. So, if they decided to go Safety round 2 with one of those 2 and try and see if one of those corners falls to round 3 I could be behind that as well.
Good thorough post with many intriguing options :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":38t0k2ta said:
Here is my take on Cable.

The guy transformed our line after Walter and Hutch were long gone. If you remember, at that time our line wasn't much better than now.

I have to give the guy a pass for this last year considering Gilliam was penciled in a s LT starter pre draft. They didn't draft for that position. Gilliam sucked at it. The hired Sowell and Webb...OMG. Terrible OL that were run out of town in their cities.

We saw what happened. Sowell took over for Gilliam who went back to RT. Gilliam struggled at RT in a position he manned for over a year. Sowell sucked at LT, then got injured and we were left with Fant. He had not played football at all in college yet Sowell could NOT beat him out once his injury was over. Webb was long gonw, a disaterus cut and salary cap hit. a terrible signing.

Fant struggled but given the fact he was thrown to the wolves he played incredibly considering the circumstances.

Ifedi had to try to pick up Cables system. Tough being a rookie, and Glowinski was a redshirt rookie.

All these guys were newbies in the system.

I gotta give them a pass and also let Cable off the hook for last year.

This next year...is the key for me.

Cable is going to be evaluated.

I actually agree with MOST of this post. I do not however give him a pass this season (but read on), but mostly because of the amount of draft, free agents and other resource Cable has had to improve the oline yet it still goes backwards. That said much of this is on Pete for hoping and all but laying the season on the line (oline that is). So, Pete cannot fire Cable this season because he "bought in and took his tools away" spending it elsewhere. But to me that is just a poor judgement call on Pete giving his coaches a bit too much power over him with his direct involvement in the situation.
Also, looking at the present roster it is no longer built or even best suited for run first when you follow the money (look at our current investment in a top RB vs our WR and TE corps). That makes our needs different than when Cable was hired.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Largent80":37sp0sgp said:
Anthony!":37sp0sgp said:
Sgt. Largent":37sp0sgp said:
Anthony!":37sp0sgp said:

his pass blocking has been bad.

He doesn't block. He is a coach. What is your fix?...your way to make it better while staying under the salary cap?

LOL your just to funny, that said we have plenty of money get the best OT available and then draft, Pretty simple.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2n896wd1 said:
Sgt. Largent":2n896wd1 said:

None of this says that Cable is a bad O-line coach, all these articles are saying is that he and Pete's relationship is strained.

Of course it is, we're not running the ball and developing the O-lineman like everyone wants.

Is that Cable's fault? Sure, partly. But it's more Pete and John's fault for giving Cable basketball players and D-lineman to work with.

How bout draft some REAL offensive lineman. This little experiment of cheaping out on the offensive line hasn't worked, so knock it the hell off.