Old fans like me

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Lemme give you folks some hopium.

The Seahawks are far more talented than many realize. The coaching is atrocious and makes most of the players look bad, or under achieve at the very least.

Like Jeff Fisher going 7-9 every year, he wasn't getting the most out of that roster. McVay stepped in and turned them into contenders immediately.

A new coach, and a couple more drafts and they will be primed to compete for Super Bowls again. The hardest part will be finding the QB.

But you got to take the first step... Fire Pete Carroll and stop living in the past. It's time to move forward.

Most of Seattle's issues are schematic, and detail oriented.

Personnel issues are few.

Offense:

-Interior O-Line.
-QB

Defense:
-NT
-MLB
-S

QB is the only high value piece on the needs board.

Studs at S, NT, OG, OC, MLB, are routinely found in the 2nd rd Rd or later. It's not like Seattle needs a slew of top 10 picks to turn things around.

Building Block Pieces Already in place.

-WRs
-RBs
-OTs

-EDGE
-CBs
-3T (If Williams is retained)

Attack the trenches heavy, and find a way to come out with the QBotF in the next 2 drafts. Get a modern NFL OFFENSIVE HC to groom the QB.
I agree with most of what you said, however the thought of a coaching change does cause me to have some anxiety. Anyone remember the Mora year? The Flores years? The league history is filled with horrible coaches who were deemed to be hot hires.
The best coaches this team has had, Knox, Holmgren and Carroll were in effect, surprise hires.

What was surprising about each of these hires is that all 3 came from basically established programs. Knox was hired away from Buffalo. Holmgren from Green Bay. Carroll was slightly different in that he came from the college ranks at USC.

It’s rare that a head coach will go from one team to another. The trend, especially the last number of years is to hire the hot upcoming assistants. The problem with this model is you don’t know if you’re getting a McVay or a Staley.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You like QUITTING and starting over ?, Again, and again, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN AD NAUSIUM???? I sure as hell DO NOT...PETE'S >>Super Bowl 48 gave me a Seahawks feeling like I'D NEVER FELT BEFORE, so you can have the leftovers RD

That feeling you got from Super Bowl 48 has blinded you. That feeling is never going to happen again with Pete Carroll. If you ever want a chance to experience that feeling again, you must realize it's time to move on.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You'll be okay, pal. I don't know your personal health situation, but you should have 10-20 years left.

In the NFL, things can happen so fast, and so much progress can happen in a year or so.

In February of 2010 who would have thought the Hawks would be winning a Super Bowl less than 5 years later considering how barren that roster was? Older Eagles fans probably felt similarly until that recent Super Bowl came out of nowhere. Imagine how older Chiefs fans felt in that moment when they traded up for Mahomes - it was not received well, little did they know that they were on the cusp of something special. Think about how discouraged older Lions and Bills fans have felt until recently - the transition from hopeless to hopeful can happen in the blink of an eye in football.

My earliest recollections of Seahawks football as a child are from early in the Holmgren years, and in that 20 or so years they have proven to be one of the historically strong and competent operations in the sport (stable, in the playoffs more frequently than not, no huge scandals).

I think about my grandparents, who have spent the better part of 50+ years cheering for the Vancouver Canucks - the epitome of a mediocre operation, and yes, I am concerned that they may never see a Stanley Cup.

But in football, especially because you are drafting developed adults, things can happen so quickly.

thegameq

Reaction score
We're Hawk fans, we should always assume no SB's. It's in our eternally tortured DNA to expect the worst.

IMO no one should expect SB's until there's a new ownership group that's 100% focused on winning, and not just the sister of a dead owner who's not engaged beyond keeping things status quo in order to make her life easier.
OUCH!!

......but true.

I think it's the laid back nature of Seattle that has led to these types of results. I have family that lives in Seattle--originally from NYC. After serving in the Marines, my uncle went out west for a change of pace from NY. He told me a while ago the fandom in Seattle is totally different from the rabid fandom in NYC. He said sports is a huge part of the fabric of NY. But it feels like sports is not a big part of Seattle. He a rabid Jets fan--I know, I know.....LOL!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
That feeling you got from Super Bowl 48 has blinded you. That feeling is never going to happen again with Pete Carroll. If you ever want a chance to experience that feeling again, you must realize it's time to move on.
Says YOU!, I DO NOT AGREE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OUCH!!

......but true.

I think it's the laid back nature of Seattle that has led to these types of results. I have family that lives in Seattle--originally from NYC. After serving in the Marines, my uncle went out west for a change of pace from NY. He told me a while ago the fandom in Seattle is totally different from the rabid fandom in NYC. He said sports is a huge part of the fabric of NY. But it feels like sports is not a big part of Seattle. He a rabid Jets fan--I know, I know.....LOL!

Seattle is like most major diverse metropolitan cities surrounded by insane beauty and activities............when our teams are good we quit boating, mountain climbing, hiking and kayaking and support them extremely well.

But when our sports teams are bad, we find other stuff to do.

NY has four times the population base as Seattle, and 6-7 times the history of it's major sports franchises. Trying to compare the two is silly. Same with the midwest. What the hell is there to do there.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I'm 73 and have followed the Hawks since 1976 . I saw them go to 3 Super Bowls , winning one of them . I'm starting to come to the realization that I may never see the Hawks in a SB game again . I'm guessing that there are many " ancient " Hawk fans thinking the same thing . Oh well... :)
The team is better than that. You make the playoffs anything can happen.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It’s why I never would NOT want to see us in the playoffs. Anything can happen! Plus it beats knowing your team is done for the next 8 months while other teams get to keep going and try their hand at the dance.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We're all going to be proven wrong because your convinced of it right Scutt? How many more years is this going to take?
See, I DON'T CARE about y'all's constant sniveling & negativities on Pete, ZILCH, NADA, N-O-N-E.