One reason for Pete Carroll’s optimism?

Largent80

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":30d8bjqx said:
Largent80":30d8bjqx said:
YEY, Finally a good post in this heap.

I think we will see O-Line playing much better this year, and that run game is going to resemble it's former self. Which will have a major trickle down to all aspects of the team.

Was just going to add this. We've been saying how long, we'd just settle for average OL play. Well we certainly should expect at least that with the additions we've plugged in, and the generic improvement of the youth we invested in (and were forced to play) last year.

We didn't get GREAT talent. But we did get average quality -- with guys that look very much like we bought at the right time (Joeckel/Aboushi). We should see fairly significant improvement in the OL this year. Even from some names that we heaped scorn on last season.

I really think we're capable of putting together another 12 win campaign. And that's not accounting for possible talent coming our way in April. A draft that outside of OL, is pretty uniquely aligned with our team's needs.

Totally agree. This is going to help all aspects. Especially RW.

If we can get just decent O-Line play plus the read option, our passing game could take off. Remember we have some "secret" weapons in Tanner McEvoy, who is listed as WR at 6'6" 230, has very soft hands and can even throw.

Vannett was barely used last year, get's the benefit of a year on the team. I see really good things.

Sorry Nash72 (which you resemble about as much as RuPaul does Paul Allen), didn't mean to vanquish the thunderhead that resides over your head.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I always admire Pete for his optimism, but these sort of proclamations by Pete are nothing but rah rah empty statements.

Last year he was excited that guys like Earl, Sherman, Lane and Kam were coming back from their SB injuries ready to roll.

Great, he should be excited about Rawls and Jimmy, but it doesn't make me anymore less or more excited. What makes me excited about my teams is tangible things like new players, draft picks, etc. Not "hey this guy's healthy and really on it this off season!"

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3g86p5n7 said:
but these sort of proclamations by Pete are nothing but rah rah empty statements.

And I think this statement is utter BULLSHIT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":yk81fk8x said:
Sgt. Largent":yk81fk8x said:
but these sort of proclamations by Pete are nothing but rah rah empty statements.

So you actually feel more confident and excited now than you did 5 minutes before reading that Pete's excited about Rawls and Jimmy?

If that moved your excitement needle, good for you I guess.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":x4zmf5yy said:
Largent80":x4zmf5yy said:
Sgt. Largent":x4zmf5yy said:

So you actually feel more confident and excited now than you did 5 minutes before reading that Pete's excited about Rawls and Jimmy?

No.

Why shouldn't he be optimistic?

What is he supposed to say?

For me personally, see mine and Attyla's posts. The Rah Rah bullshit associated with Petes college career ended a long time ago. Why don't you just go watch Lost reruns to get a perspective?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":derncfhb said:
I always admire Pete for his optimism, but these sort of proclamations by Pete are nothing but rah rah empty statements.

Agree. It ranks right up there with Cables statement 2 years ago stating "this may be the most talented group of players I've ever worked with."

We went on to put out the #30th best oline with this final evaluation from PFF.

Summary: It’s amazing that the Seahawks got as far as they did with a line that struggled to open many holes, and a pass protection unit that was sieve-like. It got better when Patrick Lewis came in, but their poor play serves to only highlight how good the backs were, and how talented Russell Wilson is at extending plays.

The good news was, 2016 there were only 2 places to drop to hit the cellar.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":23wo6sso said:
Sgt. Largent":23wo6sso said:
Largent80":23wo6sso said:
Sgt. Largent":23wo6sso said:

No.

So you agree with me and my statement is not bullshit. Still butthurt, is that what this is about? Do we need to hug it out til it hurts? Cause Si and I do it about once a week, we can pencil you in for Thursday round noon.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So Pete should just come out and say "Our O Line sucks, and will continue to suck. We really don't have much of a chance this year."

:2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Negative outlook is a choice. We all look at it our own way, and that's ok. But yeah, nothing wrong with some serious optimism.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1h40dvcm said:
I don't see how ANYONE could not optimistic. Nearly every player of significance is back. In the era of free agency, this is rare.

Depth has already been improved over last season, and we haven't even drafted yet (five picks in the first three rounds).

We have, by far, the best defensive coach in the league in Pete Carroll. The team has led the NFL in scoring defense in four of the last five seasons, and probably would be going for its 6th-consecutive defensive scoring title if Earl Thomas had stayed healthy.

We return FIVE defensive Pro Bowlers: Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, and Richard Sherman. That does not include the aforementioned Thomas (our best overall player) or Kam Chancellor, who is coming off of what I consider to be the best individual season of his career. Along the defensive line, youngsters Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, and Quinton Jefferson are due for breakout seasons. They are too good not to.

The offense has got to be more consistent. How could they not be with a healthy Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham, Thomas Rawls, C.J. Prosise, etc. I underestimated Prosise, but he's the real deal. Don't sleep on him just because of an injury. Doug Baldwin has been playing dominant football. Tyler Lockett is expected back by training camp. Paul Richardson looked phenomenal at the tail end of last season. And don't forget about Tanner McEvoy, who has enormous potential and seems to be putting it all together this off-season. In addition, Big Eddie Lacy is a perfect fit for this team. Runs hard through tackles and was in great shape last season. He is a bell-cow RB if I've ever seen one.

And then there is the offensive line . . . all five starters are back, plus Luke Joeckel is an upgrade. He's long, tough, and fundamentally sound. If they can draft a starter-quality offensive tackle, I will be excited about this group. I think Justin Britt could be one of the better centers in the league. Ifedi and Glowinski are tough SOBs inside; I just hope they draft that OT who can allow Ifedi to continue his development inside. Ifedi looks much better charging forward in the interior than moving laterally in space outside. I think the line is one more piece away from being complete.

Ifedi's starting at right tackle this year.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ltl98q7r said:
hawknation2017":ltl98q7r said:
I don't see how ANYONE could not optimistic. Nearly every player of significance is back. In the era of free agency, this is rare.

Depth has already been improved over last season, and we haven't even drafted yet (five picks in the first three rounds).

We have, by far, the best defensive coach in the league in Pete Carroll. The team has led the NFL in scoring defense in four of the last five seasons, and probably would be going for its 6th-consecutive defensive scoring title if Earl Thomas had stayed healthy.

We return FIVE defensive Pro Bowlers: Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, and Richard Sherman. That does not include the aforementioned Thomas (our best overall player) or Kam Chancellor, who is coming off of what I consider to be the best individual season of his career. Along the defensive line, youngsters Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, and Quinton Jefferson are due for breakout seasons. They are too good not to.

The offense has got to be more consistent. How could they not be with a healthy Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham, Thomas Rawls, C.J. Prosise, etc. I underestimated Prosise, but he's the real deal. Don't sleep on him just because of an injury. Doug Baldwin has been playing dominant football. Tyler Lockett is expected back by training camp. Paul Richardson looked phenomenal at the tail end of last season. And don't forget about Tanner McEvoy, who has enormous potential and seems to be putting it all together this off-season. In addition, Big Eddie Lacy is a perfect fit for this team. Runs hard through tackles and was in great shape last season. He is a bell-cow RB if I've ever seen one.

And then there is the offensive line . . . all five starters are back, plus Luke Joeckel is an upgrade. He's long, tough, and fundamentally sound. If they can draft a starter-quality offensive tackle, I will be excited about this group. I think Justin Britt could be one of the better centers in the league. Ifedi and Glowinski are tough SOBs inside; I just hope they draft that OT who can allow Ifedi to continue his development inside. Ifedi looks much better charging forward in the interior than moving laterally in space outside. I think the line is one more piece away from being complete.

Ifedi's starting at right tackle this year.

We don't know that, because we haven't drafted yet and because Carroll hasn't said that yet.

It's a possibility, but it would be unfortunate.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Come on folks... Noones breaking new ground here (actually the repitition of the same statements on here could probably reduce the site to one giant thread titled "Your thoughts")

Petes quote was far more specific than is being inferred here. He's basically saying he's excited that two guys who have had limited opportunities in off season work outs for a variety of reasons will now be able to participate fully.

And he's excited by that. He didn't say it was going to solve the teams problems.

Be great if this topic could focus on the benefit of a healthy Rawls and Graham instead of a regurgitation of the same old spins.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
This is actually one of the few decent threads running on the board at the moment.

Carroll's optimism in the link is not limited to the health of Rawls and Graham (but it is one reason). There is just not much more to say about that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawknation2017":31dnqxcr said:
This is actually one of the few decent threads running on the board at the moment.

Carroll's optimism in the link is not limited to the health of Rawls and Graham (but it is one reason). There is just not much more to say about that.

I read the article and his quotes. Yes it really is about that, with a slight expansion to the running back corp.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
This was an important quote from the article:

“I think it’s one of the future,” Carroll said when asked to assess the running back position. “I think for all those guys. I think everybody, Eddie’s, gotta get back. Thomas is going to have a tremendous offseason, which he didn’t have last year – he had a rehab offseason. I know he’s really excited about the opportunity to get right, fit and all of that. C.J., he was in the office I heard yesterday and the guys think he looks great. He’s doing good all-around. Preparation for camp – he’s stronger than he’s ever been. He had a tremendous impact when he played last year. So I think everything is to the future for those guys. Alex (Collins) was the steadiest of the guys last year. He stayed healthy and grew a lot and improved over the course of the season. I think it’s a very good group for us. I’m really excited about the versatility of it.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... mas-rawls/

Sorry, I started my response before you added your clause, "with a slight expansion to the running back corp."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
With Lacy, Rawls and CJ, and the possibilities (especially if healthy) of course he's optimistic.
I'd rather have a coach who is optimistic, gets the most out of his players by actually knowing their strengths vs. some psycho like Bruce Arians. And as far as Graham goes, he's one of the most talented players in the league. A healthy Graham only makes the team better.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Yes. The expansion to the RB corp...

Which would be a great direction to continue the thread...

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Basically everyone is back and health should be improved at numerous positions.