One reason for Pete Carroll’s optimism?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2klyn84i said:
nash72":2klyn84i said:
Sgt. Largent":2klyn84i said:
I always admire Pete for his optimism, but these sort of proclamations by Pete are nothing but rah rah empty statements.

Exactly

I can sympathize. Any more, it's kind of white noise to me at this point. I simply choose to not allow my natural cynical disposition to get irritated by it anymore. I have come to accept that we will get limitless enthusiasm from Pete. Whether it's empty or grounded in reality. Doesn't faze me anymore. Nor do I take it as any real indicator of what he actually thinks behind closed doors.

Normally, I abhor baseless hope. I think it's for suckers. But I've grown to simply recognize it and accept it and not let it taint my own opinion or expectations. It's more like a mental game to me now. Parsing Pete Speak and trying to unravel what's not being said whether by omission or by delivery.

This is a great point, and I think something that all of us have come to take in stride. Now, I base my hope on what I see the roster doing. Who's getting a new contract? A: MB Who's grinding and showing leadership? A: Britt Who's in the backfield? A: 1 ea. shitload of talented RBs. How's Russell doing? A: Fabulous. How is the health of the defense? A: On the rebound.

So I see Pete's enthusiasm and take it with a grain of salt, but I also analyze what he said, discard some as proselytizing, and look for the meat in the statement. What's really got him excited? A: the offensive line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":ppf6jjhr said:
So I see Pete's enthusiasm and take it with a grain of salt, but I also analyze what he said, discard some as proselytizing, and look for the meat in the statement. What's really got him excited? A: the offensive line.

I think it's Bob and Groz who even have a segment of their show called "parsing Pete".........which is what you're talking about.

Pete has his own enthusiasm language that like you said you have to sift through and see if there's anything real to grasp onto.

I get that Rawls and Jimmy are looking good and coming back healthy, but to me it's not a major statement that gets me fired up. I'll be much more excited after the draft when hopefully we've filled some major position holes with good young hungry talent.

Jville

Reaction score
So returning to the topic and it's source ....... recognizing a 2016 problem and resolving to correct it in 2017 clarifies a plan and instills optimism.

For all that went well for the Seahawks last year, including another division title, they were not the same team when it came to running the ball that they had been in previous years under Carroll and general manager John Schneider. And of all the things Carroll and the Seahawks experienced last year, nothing stuck with him quite like his team’s inability to be balanced on offense with a physical running game. From signing Lacy to bolstering the line to counting on big improvement from young linemen already on the roster, one of the biggest themes of this offseason has been getting back to having a physical running game and offensive balance.

“I learned that not maintaining the rhythm of the running game that we’ve had really factored into everything,” Carroll said. “We had to throw the ball more, and it exposed some stuff. It exposed the young linemen somewhat, it forced us into situations on the other side of the ball, all of that. That’s why I’m so adamant about getting us back to the elements that we need to have in the running game that complement the rest of the team.

Why Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Is So Optimistic About His Team’s Future >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/03/31/why-seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-so-optimistic-about-his-team%E2%80%99s-future[/urltargetblank]

Hyak

Reaction score
Jville":10animwv said:
So returning to the topic and it's source ....... recognizing a 2016 problem and resolving to correct it in 2017 clarifies a plan and instills optimism.

For all that went well for the Seahawks last year, including another division title, they were not the same team when it came to running the ball that they had been in previous years under Carroll and general manager John Schneider. And of all the things Carroll and the Seahawks experienced last year, nothing stuck with him quite like his team’s inability to be balanced on offense with a physical running game. From signing Lacy to bolstering the line to counting on big improvement from young linemen already on the roster, one of the biggest themes of this offseason has been getting back to having a physical running game and offensive balance.

“I learned that not maintaining the rhythm of the running game that we’ve had really factored into everything,” Carroll said. “We had to throw the ball more, and it exposed some stuff. It exposed the young linemen somewhat, it forced us into situations on the other side of the ball, all of that. That’s why I’m so adamant about getting us back to the elements that we need to have in the running game that complement the rest of the team.

Why Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Is So Optimistic About His Team’s Future >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/03/31/why-seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-so-optimistic-about-his-team%E2%80%99s-future[/urltargetblank]

This highlights the critical importance of complementary football where the units cohesively work together to win consistently as a TEAM. Too many people (fans, players) examine the components in a SILO when a lot of it works as an intertwined plan.

The lack of the running game through injuries to Wilson, Rawls, and Procise and poor OL play took away the play action passing game and number of explosive plays, put stress on the pass protection with more 2nd/3rd and longs, and reduced the TOP that had a negative effect on the defense.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He seemed pretty optimistic last year too....

What did that get us?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":wocs6orp said:

What did that get us?
Finishing in the top quarter of the league in a year when our QB and RBs and arguably top defensive player were ravaged by injuries. I'd say that's something to be proud about.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":yu9k0lop said:

What did that get us?

This post makes zero sense.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It makes plenty of sense.

You just are not processing.

At the start of the year, Pete and other members of the staff were making allusions and often direct comparisons to our Superbowl year. They implied this team might be as good as that team or at least have a similar run in it.

Of course instead we fielded a defense that could no longer hold opponents again and again waiting for the offense to break through. And we fielded an offense that was getting near the bottom of the league in TD production after going not just halves, but multiple games without TD production (but the offense is 'pretty good' right Sioux?)

And with a chance to reclaim some ground and potentially get some home field games in the playoffs, they could not win those games near the end of the year that mattered. So they made it to a wildcard instead and beat a hapless Lions team that never won a playoff game ever. Then the Seahawks were flat out embarrassed and outclassed by Atlanta.

The truth was, we weren't even close to the greatness of those 2013 and 2014 teams. It was ridiculous to suggest it. But Pete, ever the optimist, did. No big deal, but it is more a personality thing. There isn't a lot of reality to suggest this team has a realistic expectation to win past the wildcard game.

We have a worsening defense, with the unproductive offense that leaned on that defense getting less help. We have the same underwhelming group of assistant coaches. And we have key players turning away from the FO.

Pete is excited because he is Pete. And he has a reason to be happy. But there is very little based on the roster or last year that says this team is winning more than a wildcard game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
What makes no sense is applying any of your assumptions regarding "optimism" to a promise of game success. Nor did anyone on here, or should they have.

So your logic wasn't difficult to follow. It just didn't make any sense to make such a combination of statement to future promises as the coach surely didn't. Really, it was just another attempt to say something negative. And then expand on it with yet another multi paragraph diatribe repeating the same sentiments that found in your many other multi paragraph diatribes.

So, the "processing" wasn't difficult.

Jville

Reaction score
Indeed, a post whose actual subject is pessimism.

TwistedHusky":la5515h6 said:
...... Pete, ever the optimist, did. No big deal, but it is more a personality thing. There isn't a lot of reality to suggest this team has a realistic expectation to win past the wildcard game.

We have a worsening defense, with the unproductive offense that leaned on that defense getting less help. We have the same underwhelming group of assistant coaches. And we have key players turning away from the FO.

Pete is excited because he is Pete. And he has a reason to be happy. But there is very little based on the roster or last year that says this team is winning more than a wildcard game.

The post dismisses the head optimist so out of hand it suggests a dislike for optimists in general. The post further ignores changes to the coaching staff. It ignores on going player turn over. And, it speaks to a dislike of front office and management in general.

The post reads like the self portrait of a pessimist.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I'm actually an optimist in most of my professional life.

But it's cute you think you know what you are talking about.

However using an optimist's optimism as some sort of indicator of actual success chances seems a bit odd. Given Pete's optimism and the actual ability to meet or exceed expectations do not exactly correlate. In fact, since 2014 they have almost diverged.

And that was the point. Pete being optimistic and us being well situated are not related.

Last year he was tremendously optimistic. And this team pretty much crapped the bed. We did beat the Lions but we looked like crap half the year and anyone else would have beaten the Lions.

As Largest pointed out, Pete would get excited about new groundskeeper equipment. So him being excited means very little as far as what we can actually expect from this team.

He does this all the time.

Jville

Reaction score
There is a price to be paid for pessimism and the dismissal of others.

Optimism requires one to do their homework with up tempo energy.

Pessimism requires very little. A pessimist can be very lazy. No home work required.

So .... an Optimist would know about 2017 coaching changes because they saw the links and read the reports.

Where as a pessimist would skip or dismiss such details.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28awvcjb said:
It makes plenty of sense.

You just are not processing.

At the start of the year, Pete and other members of the staff were making allusions and often direct comparisons to our Superbowl year. They implied this team might be as good as that team or at least have a similar run in it.

Of course instead we fielded a defense that could no longer hold opponents again and again waiting for the offense to break through. And we fielded an offense that was getting near the bottom of the league in TD production after going not just halves, but multiple games without TD production (but the offense is 'pretty good' right Sioux?)

And with a chance to reclaim some ground and potentially get some home field games in the playoffs, they could not win those games near the end of the year that mattered. So they made it to a wildcard instead and beat a hapless Lions team that never won a playoff game ever. Then the Seahawks were flat out embarrassed and outclassed by Atlanta.

The truth was, we weren't even close to the greatness of those 2013 and 2014 teams. It was ridiculous to suggest it. But Pete, ever the optimist, did. No big deal, but it is more a personality thing. There isn't a lot of reality to suggest this team has a realistic expectation to win past the wildcard game.

What's ridiculous is an annoying troll fan to consider a ten win season, a season in which they one a playoff game, as a failure. It's ridiculous to expect the same quality of team as 2014 every season. It's ridiculous not to take certain mitigating circumstances into consideration when determining success or failure in a season. And to conclude a topic I could spend hours going on about, your level of fan entitlement is completely ridiculous.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1e98io1z said:
I'm actually an optimist in most of my professional life.

But it's cute you think you know what you are talking about.

However using an optimist's optimism as some sort of indicator of actual success chances seems a bit odd. Given Pete's optimism and the actual ability to meet or exceed expectations do not exactly correlate. In fact, since 2014 they have almost diverged.

And that was the point. Pete being optimistic and us being well situated are not related.

Last year he was tremendously optimistic. And this team pretty much crapped the bed. We did beat the Lions but we looked like crap half the year and anyone else would have beaten the Lions.

As Largest pointed out, Pete would get excited about new groundskeeper equipment. So him being excited means very little as far as what we can actually expect from this team.

He does this all the time.

Who cares though?

again, applying it to something more than him being excited about two guys getting a full camp
in (the actual contents of the article) is speculation.

He didn't say "I'm optimistic that Rawls and Graham healthy will improve our chances to win a Super Bowl"

Hell, he didn't even say he was optimistic.. just glad the guys were healthy.

So again, there is no correlation between the teams problems you constantly want to discuss and Petes optimism except as another chance to have a moan.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Pete's going to be optimistic, even if for the not so immediate future. It is what it is and sometimes shit happens or a man is wrong other times.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":222x2eaj said:
ivotuk":222x2eaj said:

I think it's Bob and Groz who even have a segment of their show called "parsing Pete".........which is what you're talking about.

Pete has his own enthusiasm language that like you said you have to sift through and see if there's anything real to grasp onto.

I get that Rawls and Jimmy are looking good and coming back healthy, but to me it's not a major statement that gets me fired up. I'll be much more excited after the draft when hopefully we've filled some major position holes with good young hungry talent.

AMEN!

vXeq1JW.gif