One thing is very clear

HawkerD

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":x6vls1qz said:
Its always easier to build a great team overall when money isn't an issue. But since the Cap is in effect, what player on defense should go by the wayside to get a stud O-lineman?

Kam?
Earl?
Sherm?
Bobby?
KJ?
Bennett?

Cant always have your cake and eat it too.

We really didn't need Graham. That would have allowed us to sign Okung and Sweezy and we'd still have Unger. Boo-Yah!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1dstcgym said:
Don't we have something like $5mil in dead cap for Lynch as well?

Yep. I think the huge bonus he got up front was probably more of a retirement gift. Even back then, no one expected him to play out the contract. From a pure football perspective, signing a 30 year old back to a huge 3-year deal was not the best cap management.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Regardless of how this season plays out, I expect to see a completely different team this time next year.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":2fjy816a said:
Hawk_Nation":2fjy816a said:
Its always easier to build a great team overall when money isn't an issue. But since the Cap is in effect, what player on defense should go by the wayside to get a stud O-lineman?

Kam?
Earl?
Sherm?
Bobby?
KJ?
Bennett?

Cant always have your cake and eat it too.

We really didn't need Graham. That would have allowed us to sign Okung and Sweezy and we'd still have Unger. Boo-Yah!

Meh, I think Britt may already be a better center than Unger. Snapping the ball he already is at least and it's not even close.

Riverrat69

Reaction score
I have one word for the Seahawks.... embarrassed!!!!!!!they played like they didn't have a heart beat.the rams????? really?????these players keep bitching about wanting more money.well,the way you guys played the rams,money should be the last thing on your mind

Hawks46

Reaction score
Part of being a good player is being available.

I liked Okung, and I honestly think he was a bit underrated, but he was consistently unavailable.

I didn't have a problem with them letting Okung walk. I have a problem with the process they've gone through to replace him. If Sowell was the best they could come up with, I don't know what to say. And how bad was Gilliam that he couldn't beat Sowell out ?

The scary thing is, how will they address this going forward ? We're honestly stuck with what we have right now, but theoretically, the interior OL is going to be set when these guys gel mid season. So, you can't draft a guy, slide him inside, get a year of seasoning, then push him out to Tackle like they're doing with Ifedi.

We're going to have to hit on one in the draft, and that is going to be tough to do for us, historically speaking.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":mujkji6t said:
Seahwkgal":mujkji6t said:
Hawk_Nation":mujkji6t said:
Seahwkgal":mujkji6t said:
After 6 threads stating the same stuff, actually yes.
About Bevell or the OLine issues? Two different topics. I haven't said a damn thing about Bevell, for the record. :141847_bnono:

No need to shake your little nubby finger at me. Did I single you out? Nope, I was responding to you quoting me.

:mrgreen:

There are numerous threads about people complaining about Bevell and the Oline. Its deserved no doubt, but there is no need to have several different threads on the same exact topic.
I Like my little nubby finger. :eek:hwell2:
I do agree that the OL and Bevell hate threads should be separate. For me, it's the cap waste on toys at the expense of the OLine, which was never great to begin with. However, I would be overjoyed to have an average line again. What we currently have at this moment is garbage. Two decent tackles, "could" make it tolerable because I think we are OK at the center position for now. That is the best positive I could come up with. That is how bad this line is. :pukeface:
Bevell talk I stay away from because despite his ineptitude sometimes, he has come up with brilliant game plans too.
I had a great fear that this would happen this season after we did not re-sign Okung and Sweezy. Sigh. Now we have our most valuable player beat up because of it.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think we will see sowell released. I guarantee they are searching the NFL to bring guys in to try out. I think Britt and ifedi stay, we probably hold on to Gilliam and glow for now and maybe as backups. The others are gone as soon as replacements are found.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I mostly agree with OP except on Unger.

Something was off about Unger here. His snaps were wonky and he didn't seem focused. I liked him, from interviews and stuff but there was something not right about him. Britt in the middle has kinda been the only good part of the line so far even with a couple kinks due to newness.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Also Sweezy was inexplicable to me.

You draft a D Tackle and make him a project to convert him to a guard.

Finally you convert him and he's playing well (minus the 3 holding/false start penalties he was good for a game) so then you hand him off to another team.

What's the point of that process?

Too smart for your own good.

Cable is like the boyfriend/girlfriend who seeks out broken partners thinking he can support and fix them and when they finally get there they are ready to move on with someone else who doesn't have the propensity for seeking the broken types because that's no longer their thing.

LOVE YOU OKUNG.

chris98251

Reaction score
La'el Collins, was available last year for peanuts in reality and we never went after him but Jerry did, the rumors were false and the Cowboys got a future cement block at Tackle.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3o14dlud said:
La'el Collins, was available last year for peanuts in reality and we never went after him but Jerry did, the rumors were false and the Cowboys got a future cement block at Tackle.

He was scheduled to talk to the police over the shooting dead of a pregnant woman.

People are now complaining that the Seahawks (with 31 other teams) didn't rush to sign him.

When will the madness end?

Seymour

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":29q0b2ye said:

You do realize that is basically a $30m/yr OL you listed above. Please discuss the $30m in contracts you would like to cut to retain those guys.

If they add up to cost $30M, then I'll assume you think our current line works for free if we still needed to cut $30M, You need to calculate the cost DIFFERENCE to make this point.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
La'el(spelling?) wasn't guilty.

Was he worth the risk to sign as a 5th or 6th round guy understanding you will probably have to pay him as a 2nd if he gets cleared? Of course.

We needed OL, and to be clear whether it was a guy or girl - what someone does in their personal time is not something I care about.

Produce and I really don't care what you do.

Just be a good football player. Football is a violent game where violent people sometimes do well, People with difficult or dangerous backgrounds come with the territory.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2engq0oh said:
La'el(spelling?) wasn't guilty.

Was he worth the risk to sign as a 5th or 6th round guy understanding you will probably have to pay him as a 2nd if he gets cleared? Of course.

We needed OL, and to be clear whether it was a guy or girl - what someone does in their personal time is not something I care about.

Produce and I really don't care what you do.

Just be a good football player. Football is a violent game where violent people sometimes do well, People with difficult or dangerous backgrounds come with the territory.

Let me just correct this dose of revisionist history.

The entire NFL passed on La'el Collins because shortly before the draft began it was revealed the police wished to speak to him about the shooting dead of a pregnant woman. He didn't drop into the late rounds and Dallas took him with a flier. He went from a nailed on first round pick to an undrafted free agent because the ENTIRE LEAGUE was aware of the developing situation. The news landed on their desk right before the draft and no team in the NFL had time to investigate this.

FIVE DAYS after the draft he was in a position to sign for a team. Not right away. Not in the wave of UDFA's that were picked up on day three. FIVE DAYS. And at that point he was able to pick where he wanted to play. And not surprisingly he chose to join a line that was already considered the #1 in the league. There was never any hint that another team was in the running to sign him.

For people to suggest the Seahawks made a mistake not drafting him, or not signing him as an UDFA, is staggering naivety.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Seymour":oyu4klcp said:
EverydayImRusselin":oyu4klcp said:

You do realize that is basically a $30m/yr OL you listed above. Please discuss the $30m in contracts you would like to cut to retain those guys.

If they add up to cost $30M, then I'll assume you think our current line works for free if we still needed to cut $30M, You need to calculate the cost DIFFERENCE to make this point.

Well we do have the cheapest OL in the league at a whopping $9m for all of them. So the net cost is $21+m but you'd also have to add back in at least minimum salary for the guys you cut so add $500k minimum per player cut. Now tell me who you would cut to save $21+m?

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly,

But he was still eligible for the draft. His agent asked other teams not to take him, but he was still in.

Which meant he would have still been obligated to report or go back into the draft pool for next year.

Drafting him with a bottom pick would have allowed us to negotiate if he was found innocent (which he was) and we would have had leverage AND a reputation as a great place for a player to play.

We would have had to treat him like a 2nd (only fair thing to do) but I do not believe he signed the same contract that a 1st would sign and he was a legit 1st in talent. So we could have gotten him regardless of the scenario, which I remember too.

There would have been some risk of protest etc, but if he was innocent that would have died down. Hell, it died down for Clark.

Just because he said he would not sign does not mean he could not have been drafted and negotiated with after. It was clearly a need and clearly worth the risk.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":105m78rr said:
This was going to take time to gel. I'm surprised they're not worse in pass pro, but better in run blocking. We also just faced the best DL we'll see this year, with the Jets coming up being a close 2nd.

Oh man... Please understand that I am not calling your Seahawks fandom in to question here, and I am not trying to deride you for saying this.

That said, I have been a Seahawks fan since the early 90s or so, back when they were utter garbage to watch. I remember when they were starting to come together in the early 2000s, and witnessed the growth and development of that monstrous line ultimately led by Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Robbie Tobeck, and Chris Gray, reaching its spectacular crescendo in 2005. Following the departure of Hutch in 2006, we fans began muttering this and that about this mythical O-line gel that just ties everything together, and all it takes is time and good coaching. Well shit, brother, here we are ten years later talking about gellin', three highly regarded line coaches later (Solari, Gibbs, Cable), and even a Super Bowl win.

The gel is a lie. THE GEL IS A LIE!!!!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1y1ndo3p said:
Exactly,

But he was still eligible for the draft. His agent asked other teams not to take him, but he was still in.

Which meant he would have still been obligated to report or go back into the draft pool for next year.

Drafting him with a bottom pick would have allowed us to negotiate if he was found innocent (which he was) and we would have had leverage AND a reputation as a great place for a player to play.

We would have had to treat him like a 2nd (only fair thing to do) but I do not believe he signed the same contract that a 1st would sign and he was a legit 1st in talent. So we could have gotten him regardless of the scenario, which I remember too.

There would have been some risk of protest etc, but if he was innocent that would have died down. Hell, it died down for Clark.

Just because he said he would not sign does not mean he could not have been drafted and negotiated with after. It was clearly a need and clearly worth the risk.

THE POLICE WANTED TO TALK TO HIM ABOUT A MURDERED WOMAN

HE WAS NOT CLEARED BEFORE OR DURING THE DRAFT

EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE NFL PASSED ON HIM WITHOUT FAIL

HE DIDN'T SIGN WITH ANYONE UNTIL FIVE DAYS AFTER THE DRAFT BECAUSE TEAMS HAD NO BACKGROUND ON THIS DEVELOPING SITUATION

There, is that clear enough? It's in caps.