One thing is very clear

Hawks46

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3dayqs4h said:
I think we will see sowell released. I guarantee they are searching the NFL to bring guys in to try out. I think Britt and ifedi stay, we probably hold on to Gilliam and glow for now and maybe as backups. The others are gone as soon as replacements are found.

Not singling you out, but the tenor of these posts is bordering on hysterical.

So in the quotes, you theorize that Ifedi stays, although he hasn't played one NFL game. Then you're saying hold onto Glow for now and maybe as a backup. He's had exactly 3 games as an NFL starters. He's still a rookie.

The problem we're having as a community is that a lot of people believed the preseason hype. Problem is, once Ifedi went out, we had little continuity. Sowell, Glowinski and Britt were all there, although continuity probably won't help Sowell. Now we have Webb, who spent all camp at Tackle, sliding inside to Guard. He and Britt have not played next to each other and Webb has no snaps at Guard in our system. Now we have Gilliam coming back at RT, but he's spent all offseason preparing for LT. He's still inexperienced so it can affect him. He's also not played next to Webb.

Just that right side, right there, screws a lot up, and they have to play a lot of catch up. Once Webb came in and didn't play at a high level, those dominoes start falling and they're coming from behind on development.

Seymour

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2ea6mxoh said:
Seymour":2ea6mxoh said:
EverydayImRusselin":2ea6mxoh said:

You do realize that is basically a $30m/yr OL you listed above. Please discuss the $30m in contracts you would like to cut to retain those guys.

If they add up to cost $30M, then I'll assume you think our current line works for free if we still needed to cut $30M, You need to calculate the cost DIFFERENCE to make this point.

Well we do have the cheapest OL in the league at a whopping $9m for all of them. So the net cost is $21+m but you'd also have to add back in at least minimum salary for the guys you cut so add $500k minimum per player cut. Now tell me who you would cut to save $21+m?

Me, well I would not keep them all. Prob. 2 like Breno and Carp I could get for under $10M total, Also don't do the Kearse deal and get Incognito for like $1M+ and graham for the other 2 and we roll I think. Added to what we have I think that improves a bunch. Any one would help just not all the same damn year! Oh and Russell would not be playing in gorilla tape army boots right now either.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1b8x4igl said:

On a lighter note, that commercial was freaking hilarious. Glad to see Lynch still making some money.

RW92

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":fn0or966 said:
This team needs to quit letting OL walk thinking they can easily replace them.

Stop. Now. Cable is lying to you. Or delusional.

No more guys that cannot play OL yet but "we think they can learn", by the time they do learn we lose them. Get guys that can play and draft them in reasonable draft slots. Or sign guys that got arrested and dropped, if they want to kill people on their personal time just make sure they can play OL. No more winging it with 7th round castoffs.

I don't care if they are bad people, they just need to be good blockers.

No more letting good OL guys go or trading them away because you think we can get someone else cheaper. We can't.

So far we have lost:

Okung.

Carpenter.

Unger.

Breno.

Sweezy.

I get you cannot keep everyone. But not keeping anyone isn't working. I get some of these were trades some were walks.

But it does not matter. What matters is those guys above would have contributed more to winning than 2 shiny receivers (Harvin & Graham) that do not.

For a team that seems to understand the value of having a great otherworldly QB, we seem to place no value in keeping him upright, or blocking for the RBs we hope will work out for us.

And the health argument is crap. Signing a guy who stays healthy but who you hope gets injured because he is so bad when he is in there is not helping us.

also, our LS keeps screwing up too. WTH

I'm good up to Percy Harvin, and let's throw Golden Tate in there. I know we had chemistry issues with them. But if you take your argument about finding talent for the OL, we have not replaced the speed and separation that the two of them had during that Super Bowl run of 2014. There is no one right now on this team that could run the "Jet Sweep" like "Oh Mercy it must be Percy!" Look back at the wide receiver roster of the 2014 Super Bowl and you will see what we have lost and not replaced. This thing could get real ugly if Tyler and Doug can't go this week. Who is going to catch a pass? Don't tell me it 's Kearse. We have a team of number 2 wide outs. There are no true number 1 wide receivers on this team the likes of Antonio Brown, or A.J. Green. The only thing you can do is watch, cheer, and continue to support the Seahawks during this time of transition. Hopefully John will now realize you can't put the least expensive team out there and roll the dice. You have to a certain level of talent in key positions to compete and win.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":wk1cr81j said:
Exactly,

But he was still eligible for the draft. His agent asked other teams not to take him, but he was still in.

Which meant he would have still been obligated to report or go back into the draft pool for next year.

Drafting him with a bottom pick would have allowed us to negotiate if he was found innocent (which he was) and we would have had leverage AND a reputation as a great place for a player to play.

We would have had to treat him like a 2nd (only fair thing to do) but I do not believe he signed the same contract that a 1st would sign and he was a legit 1st in talent. So we could have gotten him regardless of the scenario, which I remember too.

There would have been some risk of protest etc, but if he was innocent that would have died down. Hell, it died down for Clark.

Just because he said he would not sign does not mean he could not have been drafted and negotiated with after. It was clearly a need and clearly worth the risk.

Of course his agent was asking teams not to draft him, it's money on the table for him, also how many other picks have said don't draft me to teams that they didn't want to go to?

The point is Jerry went after him and got him, we had a need where he could have helped right away on a Super Bowl contender and were scared off by the fall out of drafting Clark.

You have to buy a ticket to win the lotto, we didn't.

I think that's the point made above.

I mean how hard would it be to say to the kid :

We know you have talent, we know your in a situation, we like what you could bring to the table, were going to do some homework and if things get cleared up would like to discuss a future with you.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think it's pretty disgusting that the level of the debate this week has now resorted to two people arguing the team made a mistake in not signing a player who, at the time of signing in Dallas, had not yet cleared his name after the police wished to talk to him about the murder of a pregnant woman.

Get a grip.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm not losing parts of the defense to retain slightly less crappy parts of a crappy unit, literally makes no sense to me.

Bradley Sowell might be a Cary Williams level mistake though.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3rwnlbrh said:
Kearse, Webb and Cary Williams' dead money probably pays for Okung and then some.

The team made its priorities and are dealing with it. But let's not pretend that the elite guys are the only ones they've spent money on. Huge cap consequences on the Graham and Harvin deals as well.

Not that I'd put Kearse as one, but I think the expectation is that if the Seahawks had made virtually zero mistakes in signing other players they could come up with more money for the line. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. Mistakes will be made and chunks of the cap will get eaten up because of it.

nash72

Reaction score
I liked Okung and thought he was easily our best OL over the period he was here, but if he only plays for half the season, whats the point? We end up actually paying double for his services.

Boycie

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1ju5ldwd said:
Cable doesn't seem to be as good as everyone seems to think, fwiw.

Why did we trade Unger again? Ohhhh right that guy that plays TE, whats his name?

You mean that tall guy whom we never throw the ball to in the red zone?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3nghjwav said:
Its always easier to build a great team overall when money isn't an issue. But since the Cap is in effect, what player on defense should go by the wayside to get a stud O-lineman?

Kam?
Earl?
Sherm?
Bobby?
KJ?
Bennett?

Cant always have your cake and eat it too.

Over the last few years, there has been plenty of money that could have been used on the O-line that was wasted elsewhere. Harvin, Graham, Williams...Unger was already locked up when he was traded. The money is not the problem. It's there every year. Just spent on the wrong people.

mrt144

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1ibvrcl6 said:
TwistedHusky":1ibvrcl6 said:

No more guys that cannot play OL yet but "we think they can learn", by the time they do learn we lose them. Get guys that can play and draft them in reasonable draft slots. Or sign guys that got arrested and dropped, if they want to kill people on their personal time just make sure they can play OL. No more winging it with 7th round castoffs.

No more letting good OL guys go or trading them away because you think we can get someone else cheaper. We can't.

So far we have lost:

Okung.

Carpenter.

Unger.

Breno.

Sweezy.

I get you cannot keep everyone. But not keeping anyone isn't working. I get some of these were trades some were walks.

But it does not matter. What matters is those guys above would have contributed more to winning than 2 shiny receivers (Harvin & Graham) that do not.

For a team that seems to understand the value of having a great otherworldly QB, we seem to place no value in keeping him upright, or blocking for the RBs we hope will work out for us.

And the health argument is crap. Signing a guy who stays healthy but who you hope gets injured because he is so bad when he is in there is not helping us.

also, our LS keeps screwing up too. WTH

You do realize that is basically a $30m/yr OL you listed above. Please discuss the $30m in contracts you would like to cut to retain those guys.

Well, if we spend what we spend, maybe there is a better coach out there for adapting talents at that level. Haven't tried it, don't know, maybe never will.

Skansi82

Reaction score
I can't imagine what a PR nightmare it would have been had the Hawks drafted Collins, and yes that stuff matters. When a soul-less vulture like Jerry Jones wouldn't even draft him, that pretty much tells you all you need to know.....

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":32dkt0bp said:
I think it's pretty disgusting that the level of the debate this week has now resorted to two people arguing the team made a mistake in not signing a player who, at the time of signing in Dallas, had not yet cleared his name after the police wished to talk to him about the murder of a pregnant woman.

Get a grip.

Well for one we did not say sign, we said at least be in the pool to try and do so, secondly while at least were talking football you talking about posters having ideas and asking questions and then ridiculing the forum, the members in different threads.

Who needs to get the grip?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2at5hyrx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2at5hyrx said:

Get a grip.

Well for one we did not say sign, we said at least be in the pool to try and do so, secondly while at least were talking football you talking about posters having ideas and asking questions and then ridiculing the forum, the members in different threads.

No -- I (rightly) ridiculed this talk about La'el Collins and put the record straight because you and the other guy don't seem to understand his situation during the draft.

And I'll keep saying it. There was no 'pool' to sign him. He went from R1 pick to undrafted and untouchable. Five days after the draft, with his name not having been cleared from a murder case, the Cowboys signed him unchallanged.

To call out the FO for not making this move is ridiculous.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":42p1a793 said:
chris98251":42p1a793 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":42p1a793 said:

Get a grip.

No -- I (rightly) ridiculed this talk about La'el Collins and put the record straight because you and the other guy don't seem to understand his situation during the draft.

And I'll keep saying it. There was no 'pool' to sign him. He went from R1 pick to undrafted and untouchable. Five days after the draft, with his name not having been cleared from a murder case, the Cowboys signed him unchallanged.

To call out the FO for not making this move is ridiculous.

This is part of the argument, he wasn't untouchable if the Cowboys signed him, me personally here, all I am saying is making a overture to him or his agent to be there to negotiate something when there was a opportunity, being in the pool as I said. Granted he could refuse, but at least you stuck your toe in the water.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He wasn't untouchable because the Cowboys signed him?!?!

You're talking about the team that signed Greg Hardy in the same year!

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2vbckcp0 said:
He wasn't untouchable because the Cowboys signed him?!?!

You're talking about the team that signed Greg Hardy in the same year!

There was a period of availability if the Cowboys were able to sign him is what I am saying.

beastalamode

Reaction score
I personally think the news about his pregnant girlfriend didn't make him undraftable, his agent claiming if he wasn't drafted in the first 3 rounds he would refuse to sign and reenter the 2017 draft was what did it. I think a team would have burnt a 6th or 7th if they thought he would sign but were afraid of the wasted pick if he didn't.
They should have burnt the 7th on Collins and then waited to see what happened with the murder case, once he was cleared you call the agent on his bluff.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":w39qgtq2 said:
TwistedHusky":w39qgtq2 said:

So far we have lost:

Okung.

Carpenter.

Unger.

Breno.

Sweezy.

For a team that seems to understand the value of having a great otherworldly QB, we seem to place no value in keeping him upright, or blocking for the RBs we hope will work out for us........
I said the same basic thing on another thread. Hindsight being 20/20 for sure, but it's blatantly obvious that the Graham and Harvin trades and subsequent salary cap hits are biting the team in the ass and badly. The hope I have is that Pete and John have learned their lesson and invest next year in o-line since the Graham and Harvin contracts will no longer be on the books.

Seen similar comments on this board before, and it is definitely flawed. Let me start by letting you know that Harvin is already off the books. Williams and Lynch will fall off the books next year. Secondly, this isn't the last year of Graham's deal, so don't make assumptions that our front office is giving up on him or that he agrees to a restructure. Everyone asked we were letting kearse walk. We'll, guess what? He's still here.