Our D line is comical

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Poor Cates, can't enjoy a 2-0 start. Sorry it bothers you that I'm not doom and gloom like you. Looking forward to another win in a high scoring game and hearing you whine about it like we are 0-3. Because winning all the time is really a bummer.
Debbie's gonna' Debbie.

tersal

Reaction score
Optimus25":xmv2hipk said:
Clowney has got to be laughing his balls off.

We easily have the weakest pressure off the edge in the league. Just won't cut it for long, Russ can't be completely 1,000% perfect to hide it forever.
They are playing the run better part of that is Adams and part of that is the linebackers can play closer to the line of scrimmage. They no longer have to protect a weak secondary underneath. Last year they allowed 4.9 yards a rush this year so far just 3 yards a rush. Pass rush requires some major improvement but it is still early.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1jbsngnn said:
TwilightError":1jbsngnn said:
I have no clue how to fix this, but the opposing QB has as much time as he needs every snap. No secondary can overcome that.

This is the exact reason I was against the Adams trade, but fans were shouting Super Bowl after it went down.

You do realize that Adams is leading the Seahawks in sacks and pressures? He’s only half a sack away from leading the NFL in sacks. Furthermore, they most likely would be sitting at 0-2 if they didn't have Adams. Glad they made that trade. The defense would be much more pathetic without him. I think the biggest issue is the loss of Diggs and Blair yesterday. It threw off their defensive strategy. Had they had one of those guys the whole game, it may have been a different story. Still they were able to post a double digit lead on the Pats.Yes the ending was too close but that's just the way Pete Carroll's Seahawks win these days.

With that said there should be some changes to DL this week with Irvin out. Probably will also add a DB with Blair gone too. I hear Earl Thomas is staying in shape. Think of that secondary with Diggs, Adams, and ET. And, no I don't believe they will bring ET back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Completely different game after Diggs went out. Took away a lot more blitzing that likely was coming from Adams, imo.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1en640dc said:
TwilightError":1en640dc said:
I have no clue how to fix this, but the opposing QB has as much time as he needs every snap. No secondary can overcome that.

This is the exact reason I was against the Adams trade, but fans were shouting Super Bowl after it went down.

Hawks would be 0-2 without Adams.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Everything these days needs to be judged instantly and definitively. Two games in and the Hawks are 2-0 yet some already proclaim the D and Dline are broke and in need of replacements. Yet when I look at the numbers I see...

Only allowed 3 passing TD’s tied for 17th ahead of GB,Dall,NO and NE

Tied #8 in QB hurries and #13 in hurry %

Tied #3 in QB knockdowns #9 knockdown %

Tied #7th sacks with Rams,9er’s, NE. Ahead of Tenn,Dall.

Tied #5 in total QB pressures with 23

I get it, the defense can tighten up and get better but this idea that they aren’t doing anything is just incorrect. Against a legit running QB the Dline can’t rush recklessly. If they wrap up the incredibly hard to tackle Newton they end with 3 sacks and all looks good. Cam threw the ball extremely well and Edelman made several great catches with tight coverage... except for the one he didn’t catch. I think they will get better each week, and even if they give up a ton of YARDS getting the W makes it irrelevant.

GO HAWKS

keasley45

Reaction score
Any news on the lb we signed after the titans released him to sign Clowney? De'Andre Walker was his name i think. Might be time to bring him into the mix if he is healthy.

potatohead33

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":11ab7sol said:
Everything these days needs to be judged instantly and definitively. Two games in and the Hawks are 2-0 yet some already proclaim the D and Dline are broke and in need of replacements. Yet when I look at the numbers I see...

Only allowed 3 passing TD’s tied for 17th ahead of GB,Dall,NO and NE

Tied #8 in QB hurries and #13 in hurry %

Tied #3 in QB knockdowns #9 knockdown %

Tied #7th sacks with Rams,9er’s, NE. Ahead of Tenn,Dall.

Tied #5 in total QB pressures with 23

I get it, the defense can tighten up and get better but this idea that they aren’t doing anything is just incorrect. Against a legit running QB the Dline can’t rush recklessly. If they wrap up the incredibly hard to tackle Newton they end with 3 sacks and all looks good. Cam threw the ball extremely well and Edelman made several great catches with tight coverage... except for the one he didn’t catch. I think they will get better each week, and even if they give up a ton of YARDS getting the W makes it irrelevant.

GO HAWKS

How much of that is the Dline and how much is Adams?

I think you will find if you eliminate Adams from those stats they will be vastly different

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The what if game... if you take your best player out of the mix the numbers look different. Quite the revelation. Take the LOB out of the equation and the 2014 Hawks weren’t that good, take Russ out of the equation and the offense isn’t that good. See how that works, all I’m trying to say is the Dline isn’t as bad as a lot here are claiming. And if Adams is making all the plays to prop up the numbers then he is doing exactly what Pete and John brought him here for and the trade was an absolute winner.

One team since 2014 has led the league in sacks and won the SB and one team has won the SB twice while almost last in the league in sacks..... sacks alone do not win games or Championships.

This D will get better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I suspect they will better as well, especially when teams had no pre-season games to gel etc.
But I'm just a "homer" so...…….

nanomoz

Reaction score
I am so stoked about the 2 and 0 start, and Russ is absolutely on fire. It's so fun to watch.

But if you can't acknowledge that the front four's inability to get any pass rush whatsoever isn't going to lose this team games, you have some ugly surprises coming.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Anyone watching the Hawks in the Pete Carroll era knows that it takes a few weeks for the D to really start gelling and no pre season this year. Just wait, they're just going to get better with time.

2-0 beat them cowpies!

potatohead33

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":1j63nxvx said:
The what if game... if you take your best player out of the mix the numbers look different. Quite the revelation. Take the LOB out of the equation and the 2014 Hawks weren’t that good, take Russ out of the equation and the offense isn’t that good. See how that works, all I’m trying to say is the Dline isn’t as bad as a lot here are claiming. And if Adams is making all the plays to prop up the numbers then he is doing exactly what Pete and John brought him here for and the trade was an absolute winner.

One team since 2014 has led the league in sacks and won the SB and one team has won the SB twice while almost last in the league in sacks..... sacks alone do not win games or Championships.

This D will get better.

I figured that is the response I would get. This thread is about the defensive line, so you can't use stats involving the entire defence to make a rebuttal. When one of your safeties is leading your team in TFL, sacks and QB pressures, that is likely not sustainable long term and needs to be addressed.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Defense and pass rushes are hurting all over the NFL right now. Two safeties and a nickelback are tied for second in the league with 2 sacks for most sacks in the NFL. Line play is really goofy right now all around the NFL, in 2019 it took until week 3 before there was 1 game with both teams scoring over 30 points. In 2020, there have already been 6 games where both teams have scored over 30 points and week 3 has not even started.

As much as players hate to admit it, they need training camp and they need the preseason. Right now we need to see which teams can weather the storm of a very unpredictable NFL landscape. I like the Seahawks' chances due to the fact they had limited turnover with the coaching staff and players.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The stats pointed to QB pressure and showed the Hawks were better than avg after “2” games. Adams was brought in precisely for his hybrid ability to rush the passer as well as traditional safety play. You don’t get to just not count his contributions to the pass rush. The Dline is tied for 2nd at 69.5 ryds allowed they are going to make teams one dimensional which in turn helps the pass rush.

With Bruce out and Houston struggling I would entertain a trade to get Martin back.

tersal

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":1rluao0u said:
The stats pointed to QB pressure and showed the Hawks were better than avg after “2” games. Adams was brought in precisely for his hybrid ability to rush the passer as well as traditional safety play. You don’t get to just not count his contributions to the pass rush. The Dline is tied for 2nd at 69.5 ryds allowed they are going to make teams one dimensional which in turn helps the pass rush.

With Bruce out and Houston struggling I would entertain a trade to get Martin back.

Nice Idea.

Rat

Reaction score
Muhammad Wilkerson had his suspension lifted today. Might be a worthwhile gamble.

toffee

Reaction score
Our run defense is pretty good, may be the DL is doing something right?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Latest posts