Our Outlook for the rest of the Year

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":3gcykjv1 said:
Beyond this season do you think the defense has more room for growth?

Absolutely, how could you not?

The defense is already further along then most people thought. Pete's proven that he knows how to build and develop a defense, so I have total faith he's going to do it again and we can get back to a perennial playoff team.

Also remember next year we're going to have over 60M in cap space to go get some free agent help/depth, which this defense desperately needs right now, especially on the D-line.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Everything you say is correct about the O, but you need to acknowledge that the D is having 3rd down troubles and can't seem to reliably get off the field like they used to be able to do. There are the missing aspects of a reliable pass rush, the run fits still seem inconsistent and frequently awful, and the young DBs are regularly not quite in the right position to make plays. The defence is vulnerable at the edges of seams and deep over the middle, watching Gurley chew up the D on stretch plays was becoming tiresome.

As others have said here, the team is close but not yet there. I am of the view the team still needs another dominant offensive player that can take the attention and still produce with RW, there doesn't seem to be any genuine difference makers, only steady supporting cast types. All in the depth isn't bad but there is something missing. As well defensively the edge rush needs help, and it would be nice if the team could add/develop a 3 tech that can put interior pressure on opponents. Health at OLB would go a long way to fix the run fit gap integrity lack of discipline.

With just 5 draft picks it will be an interesting draft. Trader John will need to be creative.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ieq8oxo said:
Everything you say is correct about the O, but you need to acknowledge that the D is having 3rd down troubles and can't seem to reliably get off the field like they used to be able to do.

But that's my point. The defensive struggles were expected, I expected more out of a veteran offense and Russell.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mefaxgvj said:
mrt144":mefaxgvj said:

The defense is already further along then most people thought. Pete's proven that he knows how to build and develop a defense, so I have total faith he's going to do it again and we can get back to a perennial playoff team.

Also remember next year we're going to have over 60M in cap space to go get some free agent help/depth, which this defense desperately needs right now, especially on the D-line.

I left off part of my question although the answer is likely the same - does the defense have a higher ceiling to ascend to than our offense all things considered in the next 2 years. Just kinda curious where other fans are leaning on their optimism.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
While my preseason pick of 10-6 was admittedly optimistic - and remains so - I don't think it's a stretch that they could go on a roll and sneak in at 9-7. 8-8 seems most likely at this point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":1ehavx7d said:
Sgt. Largent":1ehavx7d said:
mrt144":1ehavx7d said:

I left off part of my question although the answer is likely the same - does the defense have a higher ceiling to ascend to than our offense all things considered in the next 2 years. Just kinda curious where other fans are leaning on their optimism.

I think our defense will always have a higher ceiling then the offense, because of how Pete wants the team built.........and IMO it's his strength, and he knows it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
mrt144":11ac21zc said:

IMO no.

Certainly there are parts of the defense that have a lot of room to grow. Our corners being most obvious. I like their trajectory and I think they'll do well in 2019.

At LB, I think it's capped out. Wagner is at his peak and it's great. KJ looks like father time is starting to win on him. Shaquem doesn't appear imminently capable of being what KJ is right now. Kendricks is a wild card. Assuming he isn't in prison -- he gives us a chance to maintain what we have.

The DL needs talent. I don't see guys on this roster that are ready to elevate to the next level. Clark and Reed are already there. Pretty much everyone else is just depth/rotational players. Still useful. But none of them provide flashes of what might be. That doesn't mean Martin or Green won't in their second year. But I don't see in them the same things I saw Frank Clark do in his rookie year even as a rotational guy. Players often make a big leap in year two. But Seattle can't sit back and burn a draft season in the unfounded hopes that these guys make that leap. They have to assume they won't, but if they do they have an abundance of riches there.

Our safeties are a problem. McDougald is a solid safety. But the fact is, we're not even running the same defense we've been running since 2010 because of the safety play. This is Hill's and Thompson's second year in the program. I don't see either of them emerging similarly to what Chancellor did in his second year. Or putting it all together like Earl did in his second year. Back then we could see flashes of greatness and could see the potential. Even if Chancellor was mostly on ST as Malloy's understudy. I don't see anything to suggest Thompson or Hill will get a 2nd deal here.

I think we don't have a higher ceiling because there are probably 5 guys on this defense now that the team will seek to replace with top level rookie talent. If they had a high ceiling, this would not be the case.

IMO, this defense can get a lot better. But only if we add players that aren't here now.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":4dteywif said:
While my preseason pick of 10-6 was admittedly optimistic - and remains so - I don't think it's a stretch that they could go on a roll and sneak in at 9-7. 8-8 seems most likely at this point.

10-6 is still a possibility this is the NFL anything can happen...

LTH

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I've seen enough Seahawk football to know this isn't a team that's going deep in the playoffs. We are still a few key pieces away and the remaining schedule is split with contenders and cupcakes. I really like what is happening on the offense, but the defense is young and still a few contributors away from being consistent, nevermind dominant. I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we end the year 7-9 or 8-8, after having re-established a power running game and gotten some good experience to a number of young guys. But DT, DE, CB, and yes, still OL, are in need of further upgrades. Shouldn't we have most of the dead money off the books next year? (perhaps not Kam, but most everyone else)....perhaps enough to land a couple of value FAs, have another solid draft and reload for 2019. I'm just happy we played a good Rams team tough twice after getting slapped around last Dec at home...that was as low as I've felt after a regular season game in years.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
We have to win the remaining games...except the chiefs. 10-6 is the only path to the wildcard, 9-7 wont do it.

Next sunday is big. Have to beat the panthers. I think we can win against the viks at home, but it will be another tough one. Panthers away worries me though.

Of course, we could win against the panthers and the viks an pull the old seahawks move of dropping a game against the niners or cards. Crap, now that I've said it, I'm depressed.