Paralysis Through Analysis

McGruff

Reaction score
I heard Russell Wilson isn't going to walk his dog until he gets a leash and possibly tags. That takes money, so I think he signs soon so he can walk his dog. In style.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2ruqcki8 said:
The whole Wilson contract debate is totally pointless and a waste of time.

No one knows what the real status is. Lots of people want you to think they know. Lots of conjecture gets tossed around as truth. Ignore ALL of it.

Go Hawks!

Yep...

Yep
It gets framed - at least to me - by detractors "Are you worried?" because they aim to try to steal our joy. They don't like the current Seahawks reign and want to rain on our parade. Forget them. It's a bunch of Hokum. No worries here.

and...
YEP!

AgentDib

Reaction score
McGruff":3sajegs2 said:
I heard Russell Wilson isn't going to walk his dog until he gets a leash and possibly tags.
What sort of tag would Wilson use: transition, non-exclusive franchise, exclusive franchise? A responsible pet owner would be looking out for poison pills.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
AgentDib":2zyciprl said:
McGruff":2zyciprl said:
I heard Russell Wilson isn't going to walk his dog until he gets a leash and possibly tags.
What sort of tag would Wilson use: transition, non-exclusive franchise, exclusive franchise? A responsible pet owner would be looking out for poison pills.

Well done!

:th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2o5ir59a said:

No one knows what the real status is. Lots of people want you to think they know. Lots of conjecture gets tossed around as truth. Ignore ALL of it.

He's going to sign or he's going to leave, but if he leaves it's after at least TWO MORE SEASONS. Good Lord why consume so much time and energy worrying about a player leaving in 2017. If he wants a bunch of money that someone else is wiling to pay him then I'll be sad to see him go, but I'll still root like hell for whomever is put in to replace him.

Yeah yeah, don't give me a bunch of analysis about market value and fair contact and blah blah blabh -- I've heard all sides. I'm just saying I know who our QB is through 2016 and I'm not going to allow myself to be drawn a culture of fear.

So why post this? Because i think a LOT of people feel the same way. And I really would like to get around to talking actual football.

Go Hawks!

Completely agree.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I completely agree with the OP for the following reasons:
(1.) There is no time deadline for the "new contract" or "extension" of RW, thus no real urgency to complete the deal.
(2.) National media "experts", have made reports, based on hearsay of supposed insider sources, that = speculation.
(3.) This is a "negotiation", RW/RW's agent shouldn't be considered greedy for proposing a higher # that some think is excessive, it's part of the negotiation process and is essential in establishing a fair outcome. The characterization of the "proposals" (or "offers", if you prefer), are NOT "demands", that term is used by the media idiots to put out a negative vibe and is used by many to generate negative spin.
(4.) RW, may not be elite (quite yet), but he is still the best QB the Seahawks have ever had and is well deserving of any $ he can negotiate. IMO he's at least a top 5 QB in the league with a significant up arrow. Many, IMO are forgetting those 15 game winning drives in 3 years. That's 5 games per season average, anyone here think T-Jack can do even 1/2 of that? Bottom line with T-Jack would likely result in the return of the 8-8, 9-7 seasons. No thanks.
(5.) RW has spent 3 years as a Seahawk, has performed exceptionally while earning less than the team's long snapper. Seems to me the Seahawks have had the big benefit of that low cost and it may be that the Seahawks are the real "greedy" ones. What about those 3 years of severe underpayment, shouldn't that at least slightly figure into the picture? RW is somewhat of a victim of the new rookie scale and that makes his contract negotiations different than the QB's that RW is being compared to (or against, if you prefer).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1rp558w9 said:

Go Hawks!

It is. And once TC starts, the story will subside.

It only merits newsworthy because it's the dead period of the NFL season. Speculation runs rampant because there isn't anything else to digest/discuss instead NFL wise.

Just like the Walter Jones tag adventures. Soon as he was signed, nobody really cared what happened in the 4 months leading up to the beginning of the season. I'll be interested in two years. Or maybe it won't come to that.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
2015. When we have the capacity to learn just about anything but we spend that time arguing pointless minutiae on the internet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1f62bqcv said:
So why post this? Because i think a LOT of people feel the same way. And I really would like to get around to talking actual football.

So what "actual football" would you like us to discuss from February 3rd to July 30th?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The bump in the NFL revenues (specifically media of which they get 55%) are going to hose Seattle.

With the 226m that was just distributed to teams today -- each team's cap will be roughly 124m (just from media).

local streams will likely push that figure to close to 175m for 2015. Green Bay released their figures (150m local revenue) which while higher than the NFL average is likely indicative of a 120m figure on average. Between 40-45% of that figures to add to the cap. So somewhere around 50m.

Wilson is smart to hold off if he remains healthy. The going rate for a franchise QB in 2016 could easily top 35m. At 35m, that'd very likely be less than 20% of the cap by the time the first paycheck arrived. And with the scarcity of quality QBs entering contract expiration in the next two years -- it'll be a downright bargain for Seattle to simply tag Wilson.

In fact, I would not be the least surprised if by 2017, the 44% raise on the third tag wouldn't still be cheaper than a franchise tag on a QB on the open market.

Currently, the raise in the cap is now far outpacing the rigid raise in salary boost relative to the first franchise tag. And with no major QBs expected to hit UFA (outside of Luck) in the next two years -- that average of the top 5 QBs is going to be a paltry sum to start.

By holding off -- Wilson would guarantee a top salary, while gaining and surpassing the top salary quickly -- and ensuring that he is still in his prime when he hits the untaggable year and gets a 'true' UFA contract. He could make in that one year (at age 29) close to two thirds of any 4 year deal he signs today.

He could easily be the first 50m/year player. And by 2018, he may have more than one team willing to pay him that.

We think it's star wars money now. But if we're talking about the increases of revenue we're seeing -- the cap could be in the neighborhood of 300m by that time (175m/2016, 210m/2017, 260m/2018).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1u0w16z8 said:
The going rate for a franchise QB in 2016 could easily top 35m.

Where do you get that estimate?

The cap increased at a higher rate this year than it has in years, due to a new TV deal, yet no QB contract has topped Rodgers' $22 million APY.

Tellingly, Ben Roethlisberger (also a Top 5 QB) and Cam Newton each signed extensions this off-season that were just below the $22 million APY threshold.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wyapkfq said:
Hawkstorian":2wyapkfq said:

So what "actual football" would you like us to discuss from February 3rd to July 30th?

How about uniform designs and colors? Anything would be better than this constant rehashing of incomplete information and pure conjecture!

Hell, I'd even rather discuss Roland's sex life...it certainly would be a lot shorter. (Yes, that is a double entendre.) :mrgreen:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian,well done.Please post more often.Go Hawks!!!

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d5h8cou said:

We could discuss ad nauseum the contract prospects for J.R. Sweezy. Not really that interesting but at least different!

Attyla the Hawk You're not helping.

IndyHawk Thanks! But always remember the first rule of show business -- always leave the audience wanting more!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":27i7dnyn said:
Sgt. Largent":27i7dnyn said:

We could discuss ad nauseum the contract prospects for J.R. Sweezy. Not really that interesting but at least different!

Attyla the Hawk You're not helping.

IndyHawk Thanks! But always remember the first rule of show business -- always leave the audience wanting more!

Dammmit Storian......I suppose I shall have to go back to watching reruns of Little House on the Prairie....or my dvds of old hawks games. Decisions decisions decisions. :mrgreen:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":eqcr6i1b said:

He's going to sign or he's going to leave, but if he leaves it's after at least TWO MORE SEASONS. Good Lord why consume so much time and energy worrying about a player leaving in 2017. If he wants a bunch of money that someone else is wiling to pay him then I'll be sad to see him go, but I'll still root like hell for whomever is put in to replace him.

Yeah yeah, don't give me a bunch of analysis about market value and fair contact and blah blah blabh -- I've heard all sides. I'm just saying I know who our QB is through 2016 and I'm not going to allow myself to be drawn a culture of fear.

Go Hawks!
Here here!

Here hear!

Hear hear!

and

Word up.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well to stop talking about Wilson we need some football news besides Shady Brady, on the upside, we could have the problem the 49ers have had and start a pool of who is going to retire, get cut, or busted for something next....... :p

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I love how much time we're spending talking about what a waste of time talking about RW's contract situation is.

Now I'm talking about talking about talking...

It's all so pointless. Meaningless. Vanity. A chasing after the wind.

Yet we keep coming back to it. :)

I love people-watching during the offseason.

Go Hawks!

AVL

Reaction score
We needed a mass obsession intervention thread.

Or maybe just look over at how the niners are doing for perspective.