Pass rush concerns now that Allen has signed with Bears

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
jblaze":13r2zmk3 said:
4yrs/32m/8apy/15.5 gteed

vs.

2yrs/12m/6apy/6 gteed

Pretty big difference in contracts there. Honestly I can't blame the guy. More money and longer contract.

Yeah, agreed.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm far more worried about stopping other teams pass rush than I am about our own. Bennett is going to have to earn his pay raise by playing more downs though.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'm concerned that we cut Clemons when perhaps it wasn't necessary. Clemons was a beast in the super bowl. It looked like he had finally found his pre-injury form. I would have been totally fine with bringing back a pass rushing core of Avril, Bennett and Clemons. Having them all allowed Avril to rush from the strong side, where he really looked awesome last season with Clemons on the weakside and Bennett inside. It was deadly.

Now Clemons is gone and the only replacements are the potential in-house guys, and right now I do not believe that Irvin or Mayowa or anyone else they have can give the Seahawks anything even remotely close to what a healthy Clemons gives them.

If they had to cut Clemons to extend some superstars, so be it. But if we lose Thomas or Sherman now, I am going to be pissed because I believe that will mean we cut Clemons without a good reason.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
jblaze":2gi0i6d4 said:
That's a good point. There's been talk about moving Irvin back to DE to get Smith on the field as well. DE's usually take a little while to develop and get stronger, maybe Irvin is ready. He's still pretty small though and a liability in the run game but maybe on pass downs.

That's not true. Everyone keeps saying stuff like this. His official listing as a rookie was 5 pounds short of Clemmons, and yet no one complained about Clem's size. After 2 years of development Irvin should be fine. He should be in the Von Miller type role this year. SAM Lber on base situations and rush end on nickel situations.

Frankly, I don't understand the concern. On pass rushing situations you had Clem & Avril @ ends, now you'll have Avril and Irvin (which he played as a rookie) not a big deal. You've got Bennett on the inside in those situations. YOu still have McDaniel and Mebane on running downs. Hill flashes ability in his limited work last as did Scruggs as a rookie. I think you'll see those 2 pick up the slack. We will obviously draft a player or 2 to help in this situation as well.

I'm glad we didn't sign Allen, gives us more ability to lock up Thomas and Sherman.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1hq47n8w said:
I'm concerned that we cut Clemons when perhaps it wasn't necessary. Clemons was a beast in the super bowl. It looked like he had finally found his pre-injury form. I would have been totally fine with bringing back a pass rushing core of Avril, Bennett and Clemons. Having them all allowed Avril to rush from the strong side, where he really looked awesome last season with Clemons on the weakside and Bennett inside. It was deadly.

Now Clemons is gone and the only replacements are the potential in-house guys, and right now I do not believe that Irvin or Mayowa or anyone else they have can give the Seahawks anything even remotely close to what a healthy Clemons gives them.

If they had to cut Clemons to extend some superstars, so be it. But if we lose Thomas or Sherman now, I am going to be pissed because I believe that will mean we cut Clemons without a good reason.

Agree. If we don't get extensions this year then I will start to be confused as to why Clemons was released.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Avril moves to Clem's spot. McDaniel moves to Red's spot. Irvin moves to Avril's spot.

Hill/Scruggs/Williams and draft picks to fight over mcdaniel's spot.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
It would have been a nice luxury to add Allen, but now its Next Man Up time! I'm OK with that........

RDE: Avril, Mayowa
RDT: Mebane, Hill, Smith
LDT: McDaniel, Williams, Brooks
LDE: Bennett, Scruggs

Just need some of last year's rookies that were red shirted to step up from a depth perspective.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
drdiags":23wdyn32 said:
Keeping on topic and not wallowing in the Allen decision, the team has yet to hit on a young drafted DL. Irvin was their highest selection and they are still adjusting to how he best fits. The team needs to hit in the draft on DL, WR and TE. Avril most likely is hitting the market next season. Clemons would have been gone after this season anyway, so some of the young guys need to step up.

Not concerned for this year, but would like to see the success the team has with DBs and LBs translate to the DL. I am leery about Mebane after this season. He has $5.5M against the cap next year with no dead money (or a small amount), leaving him susceptible to being cut. So Hill, Williams and others need to show something, as well as the DEs on the team, Scruggs, Mayowa and Irvin.
Exactly. To read some of the posts on this thread, you'd think Jordan Hill, Greg Scruggs, Jesse Williams and Benson Mayowa were all future Hall of Famers. Sorry, but no. I'm happy to be wrong, but unless we do something better about the Leo position, our pass rush isn't going to be nearly as effective as last year. Allen would have been a brilliant addition, but if we couldn't get the deal done then I'm at peace. My question is, "what's next"? My guess is, for 2014, not much.

brettb3

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3txjxuis said:

Honestly, between Clem's first game back against SF and the Super Bowl, I'd forgotten he was even on the team. I think the Hawks were comfortable letting him go whether they found an outside replacement or not. Now it's possible he regains his previous form another year out from surgery, but at his age it seems unlikely.

brettb3

Reaction score
MysterMatt":mbihye1c said:
drdiags":mbihye1c said:
Keeping on topic and not wallowing in the Allen decision, the team has yet to hit on a young drafted DL. Irvin was their highest selection and they are still adjusting to how he best fits. The team needs to hit in the draft on DL, WR and TE. Avril most likely is hitting the market next season. Clemons would have been gone after this season anyway, so some of the young guys need to step up.

Not concerned for this year, but would like to see the success the team has with DBs and LBs translate to the DL. I am leery about Mebane after this season. He has $5.5M against the cap next year with no dead money (or a small amount), leaving him susceptible to being cut. So Hill, Williams and others need to show something, as well as the DEs on the team, Scruggs, Mayowa and Irvin.
Exactly. To read some of the posts on this thread, you'd think Jordan Hill, Greg Scruggs, Jesse Williams and Benson Mayowa were all future Hall of Famers. Sorry, but no. I'm happy to be wrong, but unless we do something better about the Leo position, our pass rush isn't going to be nearly as effective as last year. Allen would have been a brilliant addition, but if we couldn't get the deal done then I'm at peace. My question is, "what's next"? My guess is, for 2014, not much.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The guys we have right now are fine. With the attention bennett and avril will draw, the others' production can only rise.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Let's see what we have in our young guys and what we do in the draft before being concerned. We could also go after Phillips or whatever if need be.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'll be worried if the new guys don't develop. Until then, it's a wait and see thing.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":bk8znlvx said:

The truth is that it took Clemons half of last year to get up to speed. Also he's lost a step and is a declining player. His cap number was way too large for his production so it was time to move on. These contracts are built with these cuts in place usually with one year remaining and once the guaranteed money is paid. This was always going to happen, same with Red, same with Mebane and Lynch next year.

We redshirted our DL draft from last year, someone will step up. Also I think they may go early DL now in the draft. They really need to get some value (cheap 4 year rookie contract) out of that position group.

Also with Avril likely leaving next year, we really need to establish some young guys and draft a couple with that end in mind. Bennett will likely be gone the year after that so we need to keep cycling guys through on cyclical contracts .

rideaducati

Reaction score
I have no concerns about pass rush this year and I doubt Pete will either. Had there been concerns, a better offer would have been made to Allen. Maybe it's time for Irvin to step up.

Basis4day

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-note ... nsive-line

Fieldgulls has a small writeup on the subject now that Allen is out of the picture.

I'm optimistic about the line. Red and Clem were going to need to be replaced eventually. Young guys need to prove themselves and the draft is on the horizon. The team looks for unique players to fit there system, so even veteran journeymen can have some success if they find the right guy.