Pass rush concerns now that Allen has signed with Bears

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Outside of the early guys, I'm not sure there are any speed pass rushers in this draft that would be better than Mayowa. If Avril can make the transistion to the RDE on early downs and Mayowa can rush from the LEO on passing downs, allowing Avril to shift back to the left side. Bennett/Scruggs at LDE on early downs and Bennett rushing from DT on passing downs.....I think our line will work itself out.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
"They're gonna have to stop all of us, you feel me" - Marshawn Lynch

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Who's worried?..

Mayowa>Clemons
Hill>McDonald, Melton, et. al.
Scruggs= younger Bennett
Williams= Red Bryant only wider

...think I read that somewhere....it is known, right...right?

jhern87

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":12b9rcd8 said:
Who's worried?..

Mayowa>Clemons
Hill>McDonald, Melton, et. al.
Scruggs= younger Bennett
Williams= Red Bryant only wider

...think I read that somewhere....it is known, right...right?

That's definitely a very optimistic outlook.. :D

I really liked what I saw out of Mayowa last year and am confident that a young guy or two will be ready to step in and contribute more.. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Anthony Spencer signed just because we all know how we like to rotate linemen.

Not really "concerned" though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Clemons loss won't be a big a deal as many have thought as his stats had significantly dropped off after his injury, and his contract offered a a significant cap savings if he was cut. The loss from the interior of McDonald and his 5.5 sacks might be costlier but maybe Hill or Scruggs will possibly quickly step forward to claim the position vacated by him. The draft has a paucity of effective edge pass rushers and the replacement of Clemons stats and strength against the run will not be easy but there may be a couple of guys the team is looking at drafting.

I'd be curious if the team may still be looking at a couple of FAs like Ayers, Phillips, Will Smith, or even adding back O'Brien Schofield. Time will tell.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
kearly":2f2mn9l6 said:
jblaze":2f2mn9l6 said:
Yeah I'm hoping Mayowa or Scruggs shows up. Although Scruggs looks more like a run stuffing 5T than a speed pass rusher. Would be nice to draft one, perhaps that's the answer!

Draft a DE @ 32!

Who? Dee Ford? Please no. It would be really nice if Seattle gave Schofield a call though. Shaun Phillips was the 2013 equivalent of Raheem Brock. I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle inquires into him after the draft is over. Anthony Spencer's market has been ice cold, I guess two knee surgeries last year will do that. I think Spencer would fit us very nicely though as a rotational LEO or hybrid 3-4 OLB.

I do think we are one small piece away, but I don't think it is in the draft and I don't think it's Irvin until he proves otherwise.

Some think Aaron Donald will be there at 32 and if he is, he's a no brainer. Or possibly Kony Ealy. Either way I think we're better on the DL. I think we need to try to land an elite pass rusher in the draft because we're going to likely lose Avril next year and Bennett the year after. Start home growing those organic guys like we do in the secondary!

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
I don't understand how everyone is so high on Mayowa. He was a UDFA and if he was that good, he would have gotten snaps last year and he didn't. There's a reason for that.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
jblaze":1ntc2szh said:
I don't understand how everyone is so high on Mayowa. He was a UDFA and if he was that good, he would have gotten snaps last year and he didn't. There's a reason for that.

Maybe because he has shown some skills that would appear to translate well to the LEO position?? :229031_shrug:
Maybe because he has similar size and build to what Clemons had?? :229031_shrug:

I'm not sure that a "rookie" was going to get many snaps on that D-line last season. It was one of the best lines in the league and hard to try and break into.

The fact is, the team kept Mayowa on the 53 man roster all season while cutting many other players. They didn't try and pass him onto the practice squad. The team sees something there.

After a full season on the team and another offseason in the Hawks training camp, Mayowa will be stronger, faster and better prepared to take on a larger role. Its not like the Hawks will be asking him to start and play 70% of the time. They just need someone that can take Clems snaps during passing situations. Mayowa just might have the skills to do that.

Jville

Reaction score
jblaze":1km8tuhl said:

Perhaps it will become self evident in August.

How about this extension of argument >>>>> Christine Michael was a 2nd round draft pick and if he was that good, he would have gotten more than 26 snaps last year and he didn't. There's a reason for that.

Does this mean you don't understand how everyone can be so high on Michael. If so, perhaps it will become clearer in August.

Jville

Reaction score
The topic is "pass rush concerns". I think this is the preoccupation of many fans to the exclusion of a more balanced view.

I look forward to next August in anticipation of a run stopping void left behind by the departure of Chris Clemons and coaching staffs efforts to fill that void. The attribute many fans never appreciated when Clemons was here was his considerable skill at containing the run ... not to mention his ability in dropping into zone coverage. It may take two replacements to cover the loss of Clemons.

This should result in great theater for the forum.

By the way, Clemons decline has been grossly exaggerated by a vocal few ... he is still very effective. However, his move to Jacksonville has most likely extended his career. Clemons decision to fly out to Jacksonville on day two and sign ..... was a solid one.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Jville":135zxghf said:
jblaze":135zxghf said:

How about this extension of argument >>>>> Christine Michael was a 2nd round draft pick and if he was that good, he would have gotten more than 26 snaps last year and he didn't. There's a reason for that.

Does this mean you don't understand how everyone can be so high on Michael. If so, perhaps it will become clearer in August.

Not a good analogy. Michael apparently had blocking problems. That could get your franchise QB killed and thus is much more likely to get sat until he figures it out because the difference isn't a non-effective pass rush for one play, it's a season defining injury to your most important player.

If Mayowa was so awesome, he would have gotten SOME snaps. Even if it was in garbage time.

I'm not saying I don't like Mayowa, but actions speak louder than words and if he was ready, he would have played some.

Yes it will become clearer in August but that's a copout. That's what the offseason is for on forums such as this. To speculate and analyze the upcoming season and roster.

People are saying we're fine because we have an unproven, no-meaningful snap last year, UDFA DE and it's a huge reach. We don't know what we have with him. Be realistic.

Jville

Reaction score
jblaze":47hvgr5k said:
Jville":47hvgr5k said:
jblaze":47hvgr5k said:

Not a good analogy. Michael apparently had blocking problems. That could get your franchise QB killed and thus is much more likely to get sat until he figures it out because the difference isn't a non-effective pass rush for one play, it's a season defining injury to your most important player.

If Mayowa was so awesome, he would have gotten SOME snaps. Even if it was in garbage time.

I'm not saying I don't like Mayowa, but actions speak louder than words and if he was ready, he would have played some.

Yes it will become clearer in August but that's a copout. That's what the offseason is for on forums such as this. To speculate and analyze the upcoming season and roster.

People are saying we're fine because we have an unproven, no-meaningful snap last year, UDFA DE and it's a huge reach. We don't know what we have with him. Be realistic.

"Not a good analogy" Are you serious? Do you like Michael better than poor Mayowa? Are your views biased? What if Mayowa wasn't far enough along to deal with for the run game?

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Their situations and reasons they're not playing are completely different and not comparable at all.

My opinion of them is irrelevant, we're talking facts here. I don't understand what is so difficult to comprehend.

Jville

Reaction score
jblaze":3tuqn4xs said:
Their situations and reasons they're not playing are completely different and not comparable at all.

My opinion of them is irrelevant, we're talking facts here. I don't understand what is so difficult to comprehend.

Your talking about your opinions. I'm talking an inconsistency. That's where the difficulty you refer to resides.

jhern87

Reaction score
jblaze":2wvv2x0l said:
Jville":2wvv2x0l said:
jblaze":2wvv2x0l said:

Well this thread is asking about pass rush "concerns", which is completely subjective depending on what you (each individual) believe.

You can look at the release of Clemons and then the whiff on Allen and think the ship is sinking or believe that PC likes what he was waiting in the wings. And from what we've seen from Mayowa; we've chosen the optimistic route.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
And Richard Sherman didn't get any meaningful snaps until Trufant got hurt. When Sherman came in, he played better than Tru that year. And he's become better than Trufant ever was (which was pretty dang good).

Just because a guy isn't playing doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
jhern87":1naa6sns said:
jblaze":1naa6sns said:
Jville":1naa6sns said:
jblaze":1naa6sns said:

Well this thread is asking about pass rush "concerns", which is completely subjective depending on what you (each individual) believe.

You can look at the release of Clemons and then the whiff on Allen and think the ship is sinking or believe that PC likes what he was waiting in the wings. And from what we've seen from Mayowa; we've chosen the optimistic route.

I'm with ya, I always go the optimistic route as well especially after this past season. I trust implicitly. However, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here trying to find some reasoning to get excited for Mayowa when I have concerns over his lack of playing time.

I have watched his tape from the preseason in the other Mayowa thread and it's impressive. However, my opinion and everyone else's is inconsequential because talent trumps all and the result is playing time. If he's as good as everyone around here says, he would have played. That's all I'm saying. I'm really just trying to be convinced as devil's advocate and have yet to hear any compelling arguments.

What will be telling to me though, is to see what JS/PC do from here. If they go out and get a Spencer or Smith in FA, it might signal that they're not confident enough in their current guys beyond Avril and Bennett. Also interesting will see what they do in the draft because I think you have to prioritize between the needs we have at OL, WR and DE.

Their actions in the coming months should give us a good indication of how they feel about the current guys and whether or not we can rely on them. Bring on the draft already!!!!

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ewuv940 said:
And Richard Sherman didn't get any meaningful snaps until Trufant got hurt. When Sherman came in, he played better than Tru that year. And he's become better than Trufant ever was (which was pretty dang good).

Just because a guy isn't playing doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.

Good point. Now that is a good analogy.

jhern87

Reaction score
jblaze":2clbvbah said:
I'm with ya, I always go the optimistic route as well especially after this past season. I trust implicitly. However, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here trying to find some reasoning to get excited for Mayowa when I have concerns over his lack of playing time.

I have watched his tape from the preseason in the other Mayowa thread and it's impressive. However, my opinion and everyone else's is inconsequential because talent trumps all and the result is playing time. If he's as good as everyone around here says, he would have played. That's all I'm saying. I'm really just trying to be convinced as devil's advocate and have yet to hear any compelling arguments.

What will be telling to me though, is to see what JS/PC do from here. If they go out and get a Spencer or Smith in FA, it might signal that they're not confident enough in their current guys beyond Avril and Bennett. Also interesting will see what they do in the draft because I think you have to prioritize between the needs we have at OL, WR and DE.

Their actions in the coming months should give us a good indication of how they feel about the current guys and whether or not we can rely on them. Bring on the draft already!!!!

Couldn't agree more! Their actions will tip their hand as to how they how comfortable they are feeling (to a certain extent). I don't think anyone will argue that Mayowa is "unproven", so them bringing in more competition doesn't definitively say that they're not comfortable with Mayowa's abilities, they could just want more competition and / or depth. Regardless I think our FO's track record deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Latest posts