Paul Richardson....

peppersjap

Reaction score
There was a point where it was questionable whether Tate was going to make the team (I think his 2nd year). I was very worried because he was probably the Seahawks pick over the years that I was most excited about. Richardson got off to a slow start but so did Russell Wilson. I love what Richardson is doing now, he has really stepped up the last 2 weeks. I'm still not a big fan of him returning kicks but thought he did well Sunday night (some times it's better to take a knee).

SonicHawk

Reaction score
peppersjap":2vad05oz said:
There was a point where it was questionable whether Tate was going to make the team (I think his 2nd year). I was very worried because he was probably the Seahawks pick over the years that I was most excited about. Richardson got off to a slow start but so did Russell Wilson. I love what Richardson is doing now, he has really stepped up the last 2 weeks. I'm still not a big fan of him returning kicks but thought he did well Sunday night (some times it's better to take a knee).

8 receptions for 80 yards the last two weeks... WOWZA!!! RW has only thrown for 500 yards the last two games.

I'm glad he hasn't been invisible but there's nothing to 'love' besides his speed.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SonicHawk":pvj3fbge said:
peppersjap":pvj3fbge said:

8 receptions for 80 yards the last two weeks... WOWZA!!! RW has only thrown for 500 yards the last two games.

I'm glad he hasn't been invisible but there's nothing to 'love' besides his speed.
But there's a decent amount to like. His blocking down field is really good and his heads up plays on RW scrambles are nice improvements from him. Also, he was smarter in the return game by not bringing out those kicks deep into our EZ

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sonic I can see where you're coming from but the same thing could be said about Tate and he was actually worse to me his first couple of years. You said his speed is the only thing that looks good and that he isn't a great route runner. I completely disagree. He has struggled on long vertical routes but they have also been very limited in volume. He is going to have to learn how to maintain position and not be muscled out of routes. His short and intermediate route running has been fantastic, as good as any rookie in the league IMO. This was a complete shock to me. The vertical stuff should come, the fact that his shorter route running ability is so good makes his ceiling extremely high. He has a chance to be a very good receiver. Probably never a 100 catch guy but within this offense he could be very good we just need to have a little patience with him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ulpa4ql said:
SonicHawk":1ulpa4ql said:
peppersjap":1ulpa4ql said:

But there's a decent amount to like. His blocking down field is really good and his heads up plays on RW scrambles are nice improvements from him. Also, he was smarter in the return game by not bringing out those kicks deep into our EZ

Agree on the blocking. He is a very willing blocker and for his size does extremely well. This is an area where Kearse can be frustrating. He is big enough he should excel at it but doesn't. He is great at times and then completely disinterested at times. I don't think Kearse starts next year on this team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I want to point out that on Lynch's 79 yard run, P-Rich throws a block in the interior to help spring it. Dude is not afraid to mix it up with the big boys.

I think the rest will come. He looks to finally be getting more confident going up for contested balls.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
austinslater25":c0khsa0u said:
-The Glove-":c0khsa0u said:
SonicHawk":c0khsa0u said:
peppersjap":c0khsa0u said:

Agree on the blocking. He is a very willing blocker and for his size does extremely well. This is an area where Kearse can be frustrating. He is big enough he should excel at it but doesn't. He is great at times and then completely disinterested at times. I don't think Kearse starts next year on this team.
Baldwin has annoyed me this year with that also

hawkfan68

Reaction score
At the time the Seahawks drafted Richardson, I admit, I wasn't too thrilled with it. At the time the Seahawks had Percy Harvin and I believed his skillset was too much Harvin like. Smallish, speedy WR. Knowing what has transpired since, it wasn't a bad pick after all. Richardson is progressing and starting to have impact. No it's not the eye opening impact, big play etc. but he is helping move the chains and doing what is asked of him.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Sonic is a heel digger. Any poster that witnessed the Tony Stewart thread would know that it is pointless to argue with him. Even when his position is disproven he will not relent.

capncrunch

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":aehp8z5v said:
SonicHawk":aehp8z5v said:
Desean Jackson put up 1,000 total yards his rookie year.

Harrison put up 846.

Are you guys all just nuts?

Probably not nuts. I'd say that most folks on here are trying to put some critical thought into their posts. Obviously his stats don't stack up against the established ADB, Kearse, et al.

I believe Pe was wondering if we thought that Paul Richardson was the best reciever...not necessarily the most productive at this time. He has hands, has shown savvy at times when RW needs a WR, can get open..etc.

By your logic...one would think that OBJr would be as productive w Seattle as he is with NYG? And the rest of them for that matter, right? Ahhh...the age old "does good fantasy mean, you know, good"

Probably the same line of thinking that Golden Tate was a solid #2 at best. I believe he's shown that he can excel in any system, with or without Calvin Johnson. He's better than most ever gave him credit for with his 64 catches and 898 yds...5 TDs that he had for us last year. He's a stud. Who's to say that PRich wouldn't be a top-5 rookie WR if he was on a team that gave him those reps?

Yes. This is a very good post. Basically, Kearse went out of the game with a hammy pull or something, So, PRich got a lot of targets and had kind of a breakout game. Has this guy ever dropped a ball? Wow. I suspect he'll be getting more targets going forward. I also hope Norwood sees an increased role.

Gametime

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1co1a1eq said:
At the time the Seahawks drafted Richardson, I admit, I wasn't too thrilled with it. At the time the Seahawks had Percy Harvin and I believed his skillset was too much Harvin like. Smallish, speedy WR. Knowing what has transpired since, it wasn't a bad pick after all. Richardson is progressing and starting to have impact. No it's not the eye opening impact, big play etc. but he is helping move the chains and doing what is asked of him.

I'm 100% convinced that they drafted him to hedge against the Harvin problems. They saw an opportunity to grab someone they could mold and had some of the same characteristics and Percy was already having issues with the team.

I just think Pete and JS saw getting rid of Harvin as a real possibility before the season even started. They had to have planned a contingency for it and when it became obvious and necessary, they executed a well thought out plan. That's what makes them so special as a FO. What other team would have done that? Kicked a player like that to the curb without care for the media backlash or questioning? They knew addition by subtraction was the best plan for the team.

Mick063

Reaction score
For all around game?

I'm going with Lockette.

Can make plays like a defensive back if Russ is off target. Is a great blocker. Is the best gunner in punt coverage in the league. Can tackle like a linebacker in kick off coverage. Has world class speed. Hustles every single down. Was the difference maker against Denver. He isn't just a receiver. He is a football player. There is a difference.

He embraces and takes pride in every role given to him. He should have been in the Pro Bowl last year for special teams. What was it last season? Fourteen games or so before an opponent had mentionable yardage in punt returns?

It is time to get this guy more involved on offense. He has been properly tutored for the position. He will conquer the challenge like he has with every challenge presented to him so far.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Basis4day":2j9g0j0j said:
Watch him chase down Wilson on the 55 yard run...

Now THAT is impressive!

I was going to quibble about his angle, for blocking, but the truth is, if Russ is able to stay upright a half second longer and get one more stiff arm in, PRich from the inside of the field starts pushing the guy from the side and Wilson maybe escapes and goes for 95 and a TD on that play.

Great hustle play. And the true point is, look at Richardson's game speed in catching up to two fast dudes like they were standing still. Lockette-ish, US Olympic-team-ish speed.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3ijx3anb said:
Sonic is a heel digger. Any poster that witnessed the Tony Stewart thread would know that it is pointless to argue with him. Even when his position is disproven he will not relent.

For sure. I'm honestly surprised by it too. By the way, the correct, clinical and Latin term is RolandusStubbornus...not "heel digger".

SonicHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":29ia0y4j said:
Sonic I can see where you're coming from but the same thing could be said about Tate and he was actually worse to me his first couple of years. You said his speed is the only thing that looks good and that he isn't a great route runner. I completely disagree. He has struggled on long vertical routes but they have also been very limited in volume. He is going to have to learn how to maintain position and not be muscled out of routes. His short and intermediate route running has been fantastic, as good as any rookie in the league IMO. This was a complete shock to me. The vertical stuff should come, the fact that his shorter route running ability is so good makes his ceiling extremely high. He has a chance to be a very good receiver. Probably never a 100 catch guy but within this offense he could be very good we just need to have a little patience with him.

Tate was very much a question mark after his first 2 years, in fact his numbers look similar. Tate had a higher ceiling coming into the league though.

I don't agree that his short routes have been fantastic, he has never been a short route runner and he hasn't excelled. He's done a very good job at keeping himself available when the route breaks down and Wilson is pushed out of the pocket. He's hustled to come back to the ball and made a few solid catches.

As far as blocking, I'm glad he's willing to get in there.

Like I said before, I haven't just thrown Richardson to the side and said he's done, I just don't think he's more than just a guy. Happy to be proven wrong, MORE than happy to be proven wrong.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":36fa8bos said:
Basis4day":36fa8bos said:
Watch him chase down Wilson on the 55 yard run...

Now THAT is impressive!

I was going to quibble about his angle, for blocking, but the truth is, if Russ is able to stay upright a half second longer and get one more stiff arm in, PRich from the inside of the field starts pushing the guy from the side and Wilson maybe escapes and goes for 95 and a TD on that play.

Great hustle play. And the true point is, look at Richardson's game speed in catching up to two fast dudes like they were standing still. Lockette-ish, US Olympic-team-ish speed.

You got to love this about the team in general, all hustle.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3adw8nwh said:

Good luck disproving my point with his 212 receiving yards.

My only point was that he has yet to meet expectations as a 2nd round pick in a position of need. Britt falls in that category too.

Doesn't mean these guys won't figure it out sooner or later -- both are improving.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks46":2fmd82ji said:
If you take the time from when Harvin was traded until now, Richardson has shown a steady improvment week to week.

I've read that Harvin was a pain in the ass in the WR room as well, and had most of those guys walking on egg shells. Percy had to get his targets or else.

That whole "walking on eggshells" line is the one that people say when they are around a person with Borderline Personality Disorder. In fact, with "stop", it's also the title of the #1 book for helping people deal with Borderlines in their lives.
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Walking-Eggs ... B004DNXGFQ

The evidence and history around Percy Harvin practically screams "Borderline Personality Disorder" to me. In my personal life, I unfortunately had close personal opportunity to learn way more than I cared to about this issue. I was fortunate enough to get away without major loss of life, liberty, or property. The false allegations of violent felony crimes came as retaliation after I had already removed this person from my life with a restraining order, thus belated allegations gained no traction. I've written some other posts about this being the most likely issue with Harvin, given the trail of evidence from Harvin's past. The Harvin situation checks a lot of boxes in a lot of different areas. One tell-tale (in combination with the other history) is this, the very first marketing tagline for the book:
"Do you feel manipulated, controlled, or lied to? Are you the focus of intense, violent, and irrational rages? Do you feel you are "walking on eggshells" to avoid the next confrontation?"

Think back to accounts of Harvin grabbing his position coach at Florida by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Think back to punching Golden Tate the night before the Super Bowl. I've no doubt there are many more we've not heard of. These are "toddler rage" incidents typical of many persons this issue.

I think Pete finally figured it out earlier this season and realized what he was dealing with in Harvin and decided even his advanced Father Flanagan skills were no match for this. The way the organization handled this issue, in jettisoning Harvin, and the strict silence around it, level of confidentiality, also point to a "mental health issue". Apparently Russell Wilson even tried to step in with leadership, "No, we can work with this...", but, thank God, Pete and John overruled that and booted Harvin. Wilson may have had *some* success in working with Percy, but the team needs Wilson's full focus on other things, without the distraction of trying to babysit Harvin.

After kicking a Borderline out of the inner circle, it's such a relief, a lifting of a heavy weight, a feeling of now things can get back to normal, we can focus again, we can get our mojo back. That's been incrementally what we've seen from the Seahawks since Harvin got booted off the island. Obviously, the Harvin situation was just one aspect, but it was a key one that had to be addressed for the team to regain their focus.

And PRich benefits greatly from this not just from the reps, but from the calm and focus in the WR meetings now that Harvin is gone.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's still TBD. He's run a lot of routes at this point, but has not been targeted very much at all. He does not appear to be good yet at creating separation on a consistent basis. He also does not appear to be very fast off the line, rather he needs five or six steps before he picks up speed. He has the 'potential' to grow into a contributor at some point. Personally, I wish we could see him take more reps in the slot.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":cgsx5efn said:
SonicHawk":cgsx5efn said:
No, Doug Baldwin is clearly the best WR on the team.

However, Richardson has done an excellent job coming back and bailing out RW when he gets in trouble.

I have a bit of hope for him to be a solid piece, but I still am not convinced he was worth the pick (he's still young, plenty of time).

I admire you sticking to your guns with this argument, despite the weekly growing evidence against it.

Takes a certain amount of courage....... 8)
I like Richardson and am happy he's gaining chemistry with Wilson, but he's not one of our big play receivers.

Big Plays vs targets per player (minimum 15 targets):

Helfert: 20.8%
Lockette: 20%
Willson: 16.7%
Turbin: 15.8%
Baldwin: 14.9%
Lynch 11%
Kearse: 10.4%
Richardson: 5.6%
Harvin: 3.9%

If you make the cutoff 36 targets, the number of targets Richardson has:
Willson: 16.7%
Baldwin: 14.9%
Lynch 11%
Kearse: 10.4%
Richardson: 5.6%

We're a team that has players making big time plays. Richardson isn't in that league just yet, but he's getting there. He still has a long ways to go.

Latest posts