Paul Richardson....

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Desean Jackson put up 1,000 total yards his rookie year.

Harrison put up 846.

Are you guys all just nuts?

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":2f6d2qr1 said:
Is he the best WR on the team? I think so.

As of this writing, I'd likely hand that title to ADB. But it appears to me that what we see in ADB is pretty much what we're going to get. Probably reached his ceiling. Richardson always ran good routes but he has added another dimension to his college game. He is getting that swag back that he was noted for in his college days and I think that is huge to his success.

He will always have the ability to go deep, but I think the new wrinkles we're seeing now will see him our best by mid season next year and with good health, he could become an all timer for us. Which isn't really saying much, but I do see him being as good as our offense allows. Wonder why he can't return a damn kick off? It's mind boggling to me.

As an aside, I am still very high on Norwood and what's funny is Richardson is looking more like Norwood these days than he's looking Paul Richardson. Can't wait for both of them to get totally acclimated and producing (cheaply) on the field. Pete would say "it will be very cool". I agree. And one day ADB will be one helluva 3.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I think Baldwin is absolutely our best receiver today .

It's hard to judge Richardson and Norwood because our rookies usually get red shirted their rookie season.

I do like what I have seen from Richardson , catches almost everything , hustles on every play . I cant really comment on his run blocking skills. Which are extremely important to our team . I know Baldwin has excellent run blocking skills and has very reliable hands .

sutz

Reaction score
I like the kid. Like several posters on the board, I choose to look past statistical evidence and focus on actual play. NO rookie WR will probably ever have 1,000 yds receiving in this offense. Of course, I said that no RB would win a rushing title under Holmgren, too. ;) But the fact remains that we'll probably never give any WR the number of targets he needs to put up the kinds of numbers posted by people trying to discount what Rich has accomplished by comparing him to guys in much more prolific passing offenses.

The most important thing to me is that the kid is learning and growing right before our eyes, and at a much more rapid pace than Golden Tate did. It is a bit unfortunate that Norwood doesn't appear to being growing as fast as Rich, but I still have hope for him. In his brief appearances, he's made a few clutch catches, too.

I can't judge WRs too harshly in their first year on this team. There is just not that many chances to show their stuff when we:

1. Tend to run at least 50% of the time, or more.

2. Spread the ball around as much as we do.

I am confident that Rich will be right up there by next year, and hopeful that Norwood is not that far behind. We'll need them.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Baldwin is absolutely our best receiver right now. Kearse has made a whole lot more really clutch, spectacular grabs than Richardson as well. Richardson has some great potential, but he really needs to step up and have a few really solid breakout games. For all that we're talking about how great a game he had, Doug Baldwin quietly had a 100+ yard game, and really came through on a lot of critical passing plays.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1e7q4otf said:

Harrison put up 846.

Probably not nuts. I'd say that most folks on here are trying to put some critical thought into their posts. Obviously his stats don't stack up against the established ADB, Kearse, et al.

I believe Pe was wondering if we thought that Paul Richardson was the best reciever...not necessarily the most productive at this time. He has hands, has shown savvy at times when RW needs a WR, can get open..etc.

By your logic...one would think that OBJr would be as productive w Seattle as he is with NYG? And the rest of them for that matter, right? Ahhh...the age old "does good fantasy mean, you know, good"

Probably the same line of thinking that Golden Tate was a solid #2 at best. I believe he's shown that he can excel in any system, with or without Calvin Johnson. He's better than most ever gave him credit for with his 64 catches and 898 yds...5 TDs that he had for us last year. He's a stud. Who's to say that PRich wouldn't be a top-5 rookie WR if he was on a team that gave him those reps?

Basis4day

Reaction score
russrun.0.gif

Watch him chase down Wilson on the 55 yard run...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3t8xv82p said:
russrun.0.gif

Watch him chase down Wilson on the 55 yard run...

Yeah, he's fast. That doesn't make you good.

I want to see that elite speed used for good other than spectating!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1z0yjz0j said:
SonicHawk":1z0yjz0j said:

Harrison put up 846.

Probably not nuts. I'd say that most folks on here are trying to put some critical thought into their posts. Obviously his stats don't stack up against the established ADB, Kearse, et al.

I believe Pe was wondering if we thought that Paul Richardson was the best reciever...not necessarily the most productive at this time. He has hands, has shown savvy at times when RW needs a WR, can get open..etc.

By your logic...one would think that OBJr would be as productive w Seattle as he is with NYG? And the rest of them for that matter, right? Ahhh...the age old "does good fantasy mean, you know, good"

Probably the same line of thinking that Golden Tate was a solid #2 at best. I believe he's shown that he can excel in any system, with or without Calvin Johnson. He's better than most ever gave him credit for with his 64 catches and 898 yds...5 TDs that he had for us last year. He's a stud. Who's to say that PRich wouldn't be a top-5 rookie WR if he was on a team that gave him those reps?

Golden Tate was a legit talent when you dove into the numbers last year. I didn't even realize how important he was until a bit of a post-mortem in March. It took him a few years to really get it going (and the same could happen for PRich).

I'm not giving up on PRich, I like what he does with keeping the plays alive when RW scrambles, but he has not been impressive [yet].

Basis4day

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2zsulyvv said:
Golden Tate was a legit talent when you dove into the numbers last year. I didn't even realize how important he was until a bit of a post-mortem in March. It took him a few years to really get it going (and the same could happen for PRich).

I'm not giving up on PRich, I like what he does with keeping the plays alive when RW scrambles, but he has not been impressive [yet].

There is a name for WRers who take a year or two to develop. It's called "Most of Them".

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1bp6b7nv said:
SonicHawk":1bp6b7nv said:

There is a name for WRers who take a year or two to develop. It's called "Most of Them".

Not really.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I just went through the top 20 on the career catches list and found that 12 of them had over 500 yards their first season.

And we're talking the top 20 in the history of the NFL, Just over half of them were productive year one.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":p9ddsd76 said:
LoneHawkFan":p9ddsd76 said:
SonicHawk":p9ddsd76 said:

Harrison put up 846.

So, admittedly, you're saying that you didn't even realize how valuable Tate was until he was gone...somebody that you got to see develop over 4 years here. Yet, you're steadfast in your opinion that PRich isn't "impressive." Would it be fair to say that at some point in the near future you'll look back on 2014 and think to yourself- and admit on this forum- that Paul Richardson probably showed more his rookie year than you're now giving him credit for?

Here's what I'm getting at. We all diss people who undervalue Russell Wilson because he doesn't put up the stats that warrant him being called elite- or by some even great. Yet, out of the other side of your mouth...you won't look beyond stats to build an opinion of a rookie receiver in this offense. ANYONE can say that no, he isn't as productive. It's almost an insult to Pehawk to even use stats in your assessment. Next year if he leads our team in production is he "better"? Is Tate a "better" receiver this year than last?

Richardson, as a rookie, is already becoming nearly as productive as our #1 established vet. In this offense. I agree w you Pehawk, and I'm excited as hell to watch this kid progress.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Some people can identify talent without the assistance of stats. I'm certain Pe was suggesting Rich is the most talented WR on this team (correct me if I'm wrong). As well he should be. Most had Rich slated to go mid-late 2nd rd but some had him going in the 1st. We don't have another receiver that came to us with such promise and promise is typically based on talent. Because he doesn't have the numbers than firkin Marvin Harrison had means absolutely nothing. OTOH, let's say worst case, it actually does imply he won't be as a good as Marvin Harrison. This franchise has had exactly 1 receiver in it's history as good as Harrison. So I'm unsure Harrison, or even Jackson, are very good examples to use when gauging a rookie WR on a run 1st football team. My gawd.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes, I think he's clearly the most talented. I think it'll become apparent as the year progresses.

I loved the pick; seemed to be the typical underrated dude whose overlooked due to geography. But even I didn't expect a crisp, smooth, effortless type in year one.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2i1fpso0 said:
His comeback route to bail out Russ when he was scrambling was FANTASTIC. Just shows how smart he is, and how much Russ is beginning to trust him.

notice how the ref shorted him about 4 yards on that play....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawkWow":2x8hptde said:
Some people can identify talent without the assistance of stats. I'm certain Pe was suggesting Rich is the most talented WR on this team (correct me if I'm wrong). As well he should be. Most had Rich slated to go mid-late 2nd rd but some had him going in the 1st. We don't have another receiver that came to us with such promise and promise is typically based on talent. Because he doesn't have the numbers than firkin Marvin Harrison had means absolutely nothing. OTOH, let's say worst case, it actually does imply he won't be as a good as Marvin Harrison. This franchise has had exactly 1 receiver in it's history as good as Harrison. So I'm unsure Harrison, or even Jackson, are very good examples to use when gauging a rookie WR on a run 1st football team. My gawd.

This is an extremely good point, HawkWow.

it's useless to say that PRich sucks because he doesn't get 1000 yards. In my opinion, that expectation is unrealistic. The leading Seahawk receiver the past 4 years hasn't gotten close to 1000 yards. Doug Baldwin in 2012 had 29 receps for 366 yards in 14 games (this was ADB's second year). Paul Richardson has 24 receps for 211 yards in 14 games (his rookie year) while learning this offense. PRich has a tremendous upside and we're just starting to see it develop, I hope he continues to improve moving forward. I don't see any reason why not.