PC/JS are fools

W

Welshers

I'm not advocating we trade DK, but LEST WE FORGET the 2017 Jacksonville Jaguars and their Superbowl win, with a backup quarterback, above average rb committee, and above-average defense?
I think you mean the Eagles and not the Jags, right? The Eagles won it in 2017 with a backup QB. The Jags did make a nice run that year to the NFC championship with Blake freaking Bortles. So I get your point. The only thing I will say about that year is Philly had an incredibly innovative offense that hadn't been figured out yet. After defenses adjusted Pederson was never the same.

PNW

Reaction score
I think you mean the Eagles and not the Jags, right? The Eagles won it in 2017 with a backup QB. The Jags did make a nice run that year to the NFC championship with Blake freaking Bortles. So I get your point. The only thing I will say about that year is Philly had an incredibly innovative offense that hadn't been figured out yet. After defenses adjusted Pederson was never the same.
Also I would add that their defense was insanely good.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Yeah, I apologize for that mixup. I was thinking about both teams at the same time.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
AFAIK the Hawks currenly only have about 6m in actual spendable cap space at the moment. They can free up more for sure but for all the talk of getting the salary monkey off our backs it's not that simple.

There is NO need to spend that money right this minute to get any large contracts done. They have traditionally waited for those anyways.

You're calling some dudes "fools" when financially speaking it would be completely baffling and irresponsible to pay DK now, and it would be foolish to trade him for a pick in a draft that isn't the greatest.

BASF

Reaction score
In today's NFL, teams that focus on defense and running the ball, get to be the Cleveland Browns...best case.
The correlation is humorous considering the Browns drafted a QB number one overall, brought in a few pro bowl receivers for said QB. Drafted one of the best running backs (which Jayhawk reminds us of every single time Penny is mentioned), and spent quite a bit of money on bringing in free agent linemen for their "star" QB. Sounds like they focused more on the passing game than either defense or running the ball. It has netted them only one winning season and one playoff win in four years. It could be argued that they leaned too much on their number one overall QB in their subsequent loss to the Chiefs and did not utilize their running backs enough.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In today's NFL, teams that focus on defense and running the ball, get to be the Cleveland Browns...best case.
Oh, you mean like when the Seahawks traded for Marshawn Lynch, & developed a Defense that held Manning to EIGHT Crap-time points in SUPER BOWL BLOWOUT? That kind of "Focus on Defense and Running the Ball"?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Oh, you mean like when the Seahawks traded for Marshawn Lynch, & developed a Defense that held Manning to EIGHT Crap-time points in SUPER BOWL BLOWOUT? That kind of "Focus on Defense and Running the Ball"?

Yeah, but... that was like, what--almost 10 years ago? The game has changed since then, don't you know? Teams cannot win with Defense and Running because so many rules have changed to help the offense.

Or that's what people keep saying. Truth? Not sure.

keasley45

Reaction score
Yeah, but... that was like, what--almost 10 years ago? The game has changed since then, don't you know? Teams cannot win with Defense and Running because so many rules have changed to help the offense.

Or that's what people keep saying. Truth? Not sure.

The game has changed.... I seem to remember thst being the narrative 10 years ago in the lead up to the Super Bowl. That our team was good, but how in the modern NFL, with high powered offenses, teams built like ours are a thing of the past.

People never learn.

Boohman14

Reaction score
The game has changed.... I seem to remember thst being the narrative 10 years ago in the lead up to the Super Bowl. That our team was good, but how in the modern NFL, with high powered offenses, teams built like ours are a thing of the past.

People never learn.
Even in the early 80's Chuck Knox was called a dinosaur for featuring a run first offense.

Ball control is a good strategy. No matter if it's quick dump off like in the WCO or power running. Moving the chains rests the defense and puts pressure on opposing defenses. The rewards of running the ball usually surface in the 4th quarter when defenses get nicked or tired. Just think of how many big runs Lynch had late in games.

What occurs to me is that defensive backs seldom miss plays and aren't rotated much. Receivers are regularly rotated or rested for plays they aren't needed in. As the game goes on, DBs get worn down more than receivers. If you can keep the opponents defense out on the field longer the big pass game opens up in the 4th.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Even in the early 80's Chuck Knox was called a dinosaur for featuring a run first offense.

Ball control is a good strategy. No matter if it's quick dump off like in the WCO or power running. Moving the chains rests the defense and puts pressure on opposing defenses. The rewards of running the ball usually surface in the 4th quarter when defenses get nicked or tired. Just think of how many big runs Lynch had late in games.

What occurs to me is that defensive backs seldom miss plays and aren't rotated much. Receivers are regularly rotated or rested for plays they aren't needed in. As the game goes on, DBs get worn down more than receivers. If you can keep the opponents defense out on the field longer the big pass game opens up in the 4th.
Couldn't agree more. What we are seeing in the NFL is little more than a reaction to the reality that offense sells tickets. Points scored sells tickets. Yes, the rules have been skewed to elevate scoring, but until the game literally becomes 2 hand touch, the combination of keeping the opposing team's offense off the field, and intimidating an opponent with a punishing running game and hard, legal, hitting defense, will always be a winning formula - running first and playing stout D.

Just because the majority of owners in the league have shown a preference for a style of play that sells tickets, doesn't mean that the fundamental laws of the game no longer apply.

Last edited:

nwHawk

Reaction score
I see a bit of transition. Two bookend pass blocking tackles drafted high for a team loaded at receiver. And add two interesting WRs later. Hawks are looking to move the chains.

Own The West

Reaction score

I'll second and third this. Ball control and defense are the BEST way to win games.

If you can't control the ball you can't stop the other team from scoring, and every game turns into a track meet where whomever scores last, wins.

If you can control the ball then you can burn the clock while you lead, and open it up when you're behind. Either way, your opponent is always under pressure to take risks to keep scoring points because they can't blow you out, but you can blow them out. Risks lead to turnovers and more opportunities for your offense.

Belichick, Payton, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Carroll all know this. That's why they've been so successful over the years.

balakoth

Reaction score
They NFC Championship eh? lol

Rainger

Reaction score
Just cant agree with the OP that PC and JS are fools.

I think they know way more than any pontificator on this site. The only fools are the many who think they know more than PC and JS.

Buliding a team and maintaining it is complex. Dealing with Divas and salary caps is complex. PC and JS would have been fools if they kept trying to do the same old thing they had been doing to appease a couple of players and some blind loyal fans.

This is exciting what is happening, makes me feel just like when they both came in 2010. Finally the team is moving forward again as a team and not locked into a particular QB,s demands of control.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Just cant agree with the OP that PC and JS are fools.

I think they know way more than any pontificator on this site. The only fools are the many who think they know more than PC and JS.

Buliding a team and maintaining it is complex. Dealing with Divas and salary caps is complex. PC and JS would have been fools if they kept trying to do the same old thing they had been doing to appease a couple of players and some blind loyal fans.

This is exciting what is happening, makes me feel just like when they both came in 2010. Finally the team is moving forward again as a team and not locked into a particular QB,s demands of control.
I've said this same thing several times on this forum in a different choice of wording but I completely agree. Pete garners a tremendous amount of respect throughout the league and JS is a proven winner. It must've been nauseating dealing with Wilson's list of needs and wants and trying to justify his league leading cap hit while at the same time losing football games due to interceptions. He became un coachable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bunch of idiots. They should had gotten an extension for DK already, but of course DK wouldn't give the Hawks a discount.

Jets offered the #10 pick and another for DK, and they foolishly declined to accept it. The only way they will accept DK is if some team give up multiple first round or 2nd round picks, but we know that ain't happening.

Well I can only guess DK will play this season, and won't re-sign with the team. His stats will be affected a lot. He will get tagged next season, and Still won't sign with the team. At that moment PC and JS will try to tag and trade (just like how they did with Clark). No one will give up a 1st round pick or even a 2nd or 3rd for that. DK will mostly hold out next season, and were stuck with him.

Plenty of time to work out a contract extension.

Only way we don't extend DK is if he and his agent want to play hardball and demand that DK become the highest paid receiver in the league.

But if he's cool with around 20-25M per year? Then we should be good, because I do think John and Pete want DK to be part of the new group of young leaders on the team.