Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Saquon Barkley is first round talent according to almost everybody and he clearly is. Those same people say you run Lynch. Then there’s a very small bunch that says Penny has potential and were excited to burn a first round pick on him. These are the same people that think a pass was a good call.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Penny has an interesting style.

He's not someone with a lot of lateral quickness and he doesn't have the leverage of a guy with a low center of gravity.

I think his gifts are a) his size, b) acceleration from mid-to-top speed, c) soft hands, and d) his ability to pick a line.

What I mean by d) is most of his big runs are straight or have subtle course corrections, and I don't mean that in a bad way. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. I think he has really good vision and spacial skills, and he can calculate on the fly the best trajectory for running to daylight given the distance, direction, and speed of all of the other objects in his field of vision. In college he turned good (5-10 yard) runs in to home runs with regularity. The big question now is can he still do that now that everyone else is faster.

I personally think he's the type of runner who can rack up huge yardage numbers behind a line that can consistently get him decent yards before contact. He's a poor man's Eric Dickerson. He'll never be a guy like Marshawn who can make something out of nothing, but with good blocking I think he can rack up 100-yard games with regularity.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Where a guy is drafted means nothing Tom Brady just as one of hundreds of example's . What does matter is 4.6 YPC as long as Carson is playing at this level and Penny isn't Carson is going to start period and that's the way it should be.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x16pdhw said:
West TX Hawk":2x16pdhw said:
I for one certainly hope Penny can contribute and will improve. He's got 5 years after all. But the number of excuses for him and contradictory logic in this thread used to warrant his 1st round status is remarkable.

There should be no learning or developing with a 1st round RB. It's probably the ONLY position where this is the case.

Maybe some pass-pro and route running? But no, you draft a RB in the first round, he's your bell cow back, not a 3rd stringer that's not even seeing the field after 5 games.

btw, I totally get why Pete and John picked Penny at the time of the draft. Three straight years of revolving door often injured RB's, with Carson coming off a major leg injury. So the need was there.

Doesn't mean Penny can't be our primary back in the future, but make no mistake, where he was picked is why he and others are frustrated with his lack of production so far this season.
Dead on with this post.

Understood the pick, not discounting the possibility he turns into a feature back, but that position in the first round carries expectations for very good reasons and so far he's not living up to what we've seen from a much lower draft pick in Carson.

Nobody's giving up on Penny but the frustration is 100% warranted, as is the disapproval with where he was drafted.

xray

Reaction score
Third year??? ru serious ???maybe they should of given the " BOZ' more time too. LOL

xray

Reaction score
Carson & Davis will be a top ten RB tandem this year...Penny will be a situational RB.IMO

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
We have 3 healthy running backs.. Someone is going to feel like the third wheel. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Top RBs in this league don’t always come out of the gate as all pros. OJ Simpson rushed for 697, 488, and 742 yards in his first three years respectively. When he retired from football he was at the time the number 2 overall rusher behind Jim Brown.
Shaun Alexander had 313 yards rushing in his first season and finished just shy of 10,000 yards. OJ was the overall number one draft pick and Shaun was the number 19 pick.
Rashad Penny had an injury in preseason and missed three games. By the time he has become healthy there are two guys ahead of him who have been contributing extremely well. To write him off now is not only premature it’s shortsighted.

A-Dog

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":gon56qvd said:
acclimating to the speed of the pro game.

This. He’s still a bit tentative in his decision-making, missing out on a few yards here and there and probably a big hitter or two. He is showing improvement and this game could be a turning point for his confidence. Once he can regain his decisiveness I think his talent will start to shine.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":98ij1apg said:
He was the best overall running back on the field today... looked much stronger than past weeks and is quickly acclimating to the speed of the pro game.

Carson still has the edge in strength and knowing the running lanes, but Penny already catches the ball and runs in space better.

The naysayers will be shutting their mouths by the end of the season and braying on about how they were on the bandwagon all along.
:roll: He looked like hes looked all year. Dont fool yourself with blind passion. How many people does it take to bring Penny down? One......hand. Sorry, he's still a mile behind...and he didnt look anything like the "best back on the field" today lol..Just a crazy statement

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":1uywr5n3 said:
The_Z_Man":1uywr5n3 said:
He was the best overall running back on the field today... looked much stronger than past weeks and is quickly acclimating to the speed of the pro game.

Carson still has the edge in strength and knowing the running lanes, but Penny already catches the ball and runs in space better.

The naysayers will be shutting their mouths by the end of the season and braying on about how they were on the bandwagon all along.
:roll: He looked like hes looked all year. Dont fool yourself with blind passion. How many people does it take to bring Penny down? One......hand. Sorry, he's still a mile behind...and he didnt look anything like the "best back on the field" today lol..Just a crazy statement

Totally agree with tony here. Carson was by far the best RB today.

Penny was good in his role though.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Carson is the best back on the team; it’s not close. Davis is the 2nd best back on the team. Then you have Penny, who is still developing, and possibly McKissic, who will be eligible to return in the next three weeks.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1lfodeez said:
Carson is the best back on the team; it’s not close. Davis is the 2nd best back on the team. Then you have Penny, who is still developing, and possibly McKissic, who will be eligible to return in the next three weeks.

But, but, Prosise is a tilt the field guy and you don't even list him :stirthepot:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
chris98251":t7v79oce said:
hawknation2018":t7v79oce said:

But, but, Prosise is a tilt the field guy and you don't even list him :stirthepot:

Team could waive Prosise (probably a waived injured that would revert to IR) in the next three weeks to make room for McKissic.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2ctpjlvr said:
chris98251":2ctpjlvr said:
hawknation2018":2ctpjlvr said:

Team could waive Prosise (probably a waived injured that would revert to IR) in the next three weeks to make room for McKissic.

I beg to differ, I am ok with three backs, Carson, Davis and Penny. OK with Prosise to IR, then use the extra to sign a DL, we need help there.

sutz

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Penny the "best RB on the team" after today. That's just hype.

But he did have a good game, playing in garbage time, made some good decisions, is picking up speed to NFL standards.

Hey that screen pass was a thing of beauty. :2thumbs:

Carson is the starter. Davis is great as a fill in back. Penny is improving. I'm happy with our RB crew right now. McKissic will add some speed when he gets back, so things are looking good.

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":2wj2ko70 said:

But he did have a good game, playing in garbage time, made some good decisions, is picking up speed to NFL standards.

Carson is the starter. Davis is great as a fill in back. Penny is improving. I'm happy with our RB crew right now. McKissic will add some speed when he gets back, so things are looking good.

The great thing about the 4 backs you listed is all of them can do everything without tipping your play call hand, McKissic isn't a power guy but has shown the moxie to pick a gap running inside and won't make a living there but can do it, as Penny gains confidence and learns that you go all out every play and see's more NFL speed and his decisions are more decisive and become instinct we will have a nice problem on our hands and a headache for the opposition.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sutz":2xxb80a4 said:

Still looked woefully underwhelming. Stat wise he looked good, but he still doesn't get it. He was playing in garbage time when the defense was worn out, through massive holes.

Things I saw: Slow to recognize holes. Lots of hesitation. He turned what could have been big gains into five yards. The second problem is he has not demonstrated that he has the ability to make the first guy miss. On one run he had a massive hole, including blocking in the second level. A defender got one hand on him and brought him crashing down to the turf after 6 yards.

As an NFL back you need to be able to run after contact, or make the first person miss in order to be a difference maker. Penny ran through some obviously large holes against a terrible team in garbage time, and he still didn't look the part.

hawk45

Reaction score
Feel like I have to preface every penny post with "not giving up on him" and it's getting old, but at this moment he gives us nothing taking a hand off that Christine Michael would not give us and I'm dead serious. He is utterly mundane and he's running behind a good OL.

He has good hands. I...expect a bit more from a first round back than being a change of pace guy at most (and I'd rather see Davis on third down).

If we had Michaels penny would be the fourth best back on the team.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Facts are Penny had the best YPC today amongst the group and most his carries were in clear running situations. He also lead the RB group in rec yards.

Unfortunately the fan base and media isn’t going to give him a fair chance. We are lucky Russell survived his first half a year because I remember media and fans were similarly negative.

Latest posts