Penny

Seanhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10ij5mrz said:
hawksfansinceday1":10ij5mrz said:
MontanaHawk05":10ij5mrz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198724304881491969[/tweet]
Sounds like the light bulb turned on.

Except this happened last year too. Went from 220 at the Combine to 236 at camp.

Maybe, but it sounds like he wasn't serious enough to do something about it before.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":krpx9g92 said:
hawksfansinceday1":krpx9g92 said:
MontanaHawk05":krpx9g92 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198724304881491969[/tweet]
Sounds like the light bulb turned on.

Except this happened last year too. Went from 220 at the Combine to 236 at camp.
:(
Slow learner it would seem. Hopefully this time he gets it.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
People should eat crow. The negativity around Penny reminds of the negativity surrounding Wilson when he came out. People really, REALLY wanted to be right about Wilson being a "fun backup."

Same here. People really, REALLY want to be right about Penny not being worth it. In truth, MOST late 1st round picks end up being average to out of the league. Penny on several occasions has shown he has elite speed and cutting ability. People just chose to nitpick, because they want to be right. If we're being objective (and some of you aren't), Penny was never given the amount of carries to definitely prove he was a bust.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He had a great game running the ball but I feared for Russ' life every passing play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like a player that was elite where he was and never had to push himself, now that the playing field is competitive and since he was a first rounder he pouted and his work ethic showed he wasn't committed to the program in the right way. Both last year and this year, he could come around, he has talent if he can get the cotton candy out of between his ears and belly.

mikeak

Reaction score
justafan":3e9vrykc said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

I never seen so much love for a guy that has accomplished so little...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mikeak":1oco7w6s said:
justafan":1oco7w6s said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

Not really his fault he isnt used more often.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

The guy has demonstrated he deserves more touches.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3n82ijli said:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Penny, I'm not sure if he even knows the playbook properly. He always needs to be queued on where to go from Russ and he just looks lost out there. He had a big game but he still looked a bit out of sorts at times. He reminds me of a more talented Christine Michael. He makes big splash plays but he struggles to do the basics right. This is why Penny is not starting over Carson.

Speaking of knowing the playbook, was Carson aware that he was supposed to get the ball when he fumbled deep in our territory late in the game?

Seems like both guys could use a little brush up.....

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
mikeak":177zwrgr said:
justafan":177zwrgr said:

Then you obviously haven’t paid attention to training camp one hit wonders. Troymaine Pope, Jazz Ferguson, ...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":kii4v4vv said:
People should eat crow. The negativity around Penny reminds of the negativity surrounding Wilson when he came out. People really, REALLY wanted to be right about Wilson being a "fun backup."

Same here. People really, REALLY want to be right about Penny not being worth it. In truth, MOST late 1st round picks end up being average to out of the league. Penny on several occasions has shown he has elite speed and cutting ability. People just chose to nitpick, because they want to be right. If we're being objective (and some of you aren't), Penny was never given the amount of carries to definitely prove he was a bust.

If you want to boil this down to personal potshots, I can think of quite a few "just want to be right" on the other side, too. Goes to show how pointless an approach that is, as tempted as I am to engage in it myself.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":11pyv5e3 said:
Sounds like a player that was elite where he was and never had to push himself, now that the playing field is competitive and since he was a first rounder he pouted and his work ethic showed he wasn't committed to the program in the right way. Both last year and this year, he could come around, he has talent if he can get the cotton candy out of between his ears and belly.
Really, really well said.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":jovy7gph said:
Spin Doctor":jovy7gph said:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Penny, I'm not sure if he even knows the playbook properly. He always needs to be queued on where to go from Russ and he just looks lost out there. He had a big game but he still looked a bit out of sorts at times. He reminds me of a more talented Christine Michael. He makes big splash plays but he struggles to do the basics right. This is why Penny is not starting over Carson.

Speaking of knowing the playbook, was Carson aware that he was supposed to get the ball when he fumbled deep in our territory late in the game?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198729322221228038[/tweet]

xray

Reaction score
There's not a NFL RB that is not capable of taking it to the house in any game . They are all capable . IMO

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26q55j3e said:
Scorpion05":26q55j3e said:

If you want to boil this down to personal potshots, I can think of quite a few "just want to be right" on the other side, too. Goes to show how pointless an approach that is, as tempted as I am to engage in it myself.

The key difference is, those on "Team Penny" want to be right because Penny being a stud benefits their favorite team.

What leg do the negative Penny posters have to stand on? Other than personal satisfaction of being right, there is literally nothing else. Penny being a non asset as a 1st round pick hurts their favorite team.

Why would one "want to be right" on Penny being a bust if their favorite team plays in Seattle?

That's where personal pride gets gross and weird. We see it on message boards all the time.

I do it myself quite frequently if I'm being honest :D

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Penny could be Shaun Alexander 2.0, on the field, if he wasn’t being Eddy Lacy off the field.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
xray":378xh9cz said:
There's not a NFL RB that is not capable of taking it to the house in any game . They are all capable . IMO

Chris Carson comes to mind..... :D

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bapk3ts said:
Hawkpower":3bapk3ts said:
Spin Doctor":3bapk3ts said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198729322221228038[/tweet]

Of course Russ took the blame. He's the leader of the team and the QB.

If asked, hed probably take the blame for Penny not lining up right on the play he messed up too, but in all honesty it was likely Penny's fault.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I was pretty high on Penny when they drafted him...
Since, I've questioned his dedication and work ethic.
He's got two choices, work hard and become a bell cow back going forward...
Or, eat himself out of the league like Eddy Lacy!
It's all up to him!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":lkc3s6v1 said:
MontanaHawk05":lkc3s6v1 said:
Scorpion05":lkc3s6v1 said:

The key difference is, those on "Team Penny" want to be right because Penny being a stud benefits their favorite team.

What leg to the negative Penny posters have to stand on? Other than personal satisfaction of being right, there is literally nothing else. Penny being a non asset as a 1st round pick hurts their favorite team.

Why would one "want to be right" on Penny being a bust if their favorite team plays in Seattle?

That's where personal pride gets gross and weird. We see it on message boards all the time.

Spot on man. Spot on.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So Penny is now a much smarter version of Christine Michael?
I totally get that this is the first time in his life he's had to step it up and compete, just to get reps. I'm holding out hope that the light bulb is starting to go on, and he develops the work habits. His inside running is looking better and better each week. Still needs to improve on the blitz pickup and pass blocking, of course. I would swear I saw him pick up blitzers nicely a couple times in this game. Was I hallucinating? Not saying he didn't whiff or space a few pass blocks, only that there were also ones he saw and nailed.