Penny

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
xray":3mgitlpj said:
There's not a NFL RB that is not capable of taking it to the house in any game . They are all capable . IMO

Not when you run a 4.6 40 like Carson. He is a plodder. That was the longest rushing TD for the hawks in 3 years.

chris98251

Reaction score
Most RB's run out of gas after 30 or 40 yards, they just don't run that far typically, they are bursty runners quick and fast for 20 with some power to break tackles. The 3rd down backs that are typically pass receivers also have the next gear to separate but typically lack power to break tackles.

If a runner can take a good angle and gets some WR help in blocking is when you see them go long many times due to just separation from would be tacklers in yards they have to make up.

chris98251

Reaction score
I will give huge props to Penny for that stiff arm at about the 10 yard line on that long run, he decleated that guy. Surprised they didn't throw a flag.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3bhn0cz9 said:
justafan":3bhn0cz9 said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

I never seen so much love for a guy that has accomplished so little...
His followers think that "He Has Arrived", even though he hasn't yet shown that he can be the more complete Back that Pete Carroll covets.
Need Confirmation?, well then, let's do some comparisons….Which RB hits the line LIKE MARSHAWN LYNCH does?---> Carson....Which RB has outright won the job as starter?, again...Carson.
I think YOUNG Penny will prove his worth, and why Pete Carroll ain't in no damned hurry to trade him away.......ESPECIALLY for a 3rd rounder.
"And they all lived happily ever after" ….The End

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":t9xqk4j2 said:
xray":t9xqk4j2 said:
There's not a NFL RB that is not capable of taking it to the house in any game . They are all capable . IMO

Not when you run a 4.6 40 like Carson. He is a plodder. That was the longest rushing TD for the hawks in 3 years.
You got that right man....Carson is no Troymain Pope, or Christine Michael. :roll:

justafan

Reaction score
mikeak":2pf1p44g said:
justafan":2pf1p44g said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

For me its simple.Are we better with him or without him?

If Carson goes down do we have a better chance in the playoffs with him or without him.

Im not Team Penny I just want the best for the Hawks.

Some people here would weaken the team and deplete RB depth just to be right.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2puh9dcc said:
mikeak":2puh9dcc said:
justafan":2puh9dcc said:

His followers think that "He Has Arrived", even though he hasn't yet shown that he can be the more complete Back that Pete Carroll covets.
Need Confirmation?, well then, let's do some comparisons….Which RB hits the line LIKE MARSHAWN LYNCH does?---> Carson....Which RB has outright won the job as starter?, again...Carson.
I think YOUNG Penny will prove his worth, and why Pete Carroll ain't in no damned hurry to trade him away.......ESPECIALLY for a 3rd rounder.

Aren't "his followers" all of us?

Isnt he a player on the Seahawks?

Shouldnt we all want him to succeed?

Being "right" shouldnt supercede Seahawk success. Sad that it does for a few people here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1rgdxz9s said:
scutterhawk":1rgdxz9s said:
mikeak":1rgdxz9s said:
justafan":1rgdxz9s said:

Being "right" shouldnt supercede Seahawk success. Sad that it does for a few people here.
I'm happy as hell that he's here as a great BACKUP to Carson, just not ready to throw Carson to the dogs. LIKE HIS Penny Over Carson "Followers"
Carson BLOCKS for his Quarterback, Penny "Whiffed" on a block, and the Seahawks #1 player GOT SACKED because of it, eh?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
scutterhawk":z0i7a3ld said:
Hawkpower":z0i7a3ld said:
scutterhawk":z0i7a3ld said:
mikeak":z0i7a3ld said:

I'm happy as hell that he's here as a great BACKUP to Carson, just not ready to throw Carson to the dogs. LIKE HIS Penny Over Carson "Followers"
Carson BLOCKS for his Quarterback, Penny "Whiffed" on a block, and the Seahawks #1 player GOT SACKED because of it, eh?

Our FIRST round pick is showing he is MORE TALENTED than our seventh round pick who has FUMBLING issues and lacks breakaway speed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2sudqfet said:
MontanaHawk05":2sudqfet said:
Hawkpower":2sudqfet said:
Spin Doctor":2sudqfet said:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Penny, I'm not sure if he even knows the playbook properly. He always needs to be queued on where to go from Russ and he just looks lost out there. He had a big game but he still looked a bit out of sorts at times. He reminds me of a more talented Christine Michael. He makes big splash plays but he struggles to do the basics right. This is why Penny is not starting over Carson.

Speaking of knowing the playbook, was Carson aware that he was supposed to get the ball when he fumbled deep in our territory late in the game?

Seems like both guys could use a little brush up.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198729322221228038[/tweet]

Of course Russ took the blame. He's the leader of the team and the QB.

If asked, hed probably take the blame for Penny not lining up right on the play he messed up too, but in all honesty it was likely Penny's fault.

You asked for information and I offered what was out there. You don't have to tell me that Wilson was just doing his QB thing - his body language on the field made it abundantly clear that Carson missed his cue.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1sjg1f4l said:
MontanaHawk05":1sjg1f4l said:
Scorpion05":1sjg1f4l said:
People should eat crow. The negativity around Penny reminds of the negativity surrounding Wilson when he came out. People really, REALLY wanted to be right about Wilson being a "fun backup."

Same here. People really, REALLY want to be right about Penny not being worth it. In truth, MOST late 1st round picks end up being average to out of the league. Penny on several occasions has shown he has elite speed and cutting ability. People just chose to nitpick, because they want to be right. If we're being objective (and some of you aren't), Penny was never given the amount of carries to definitely prove he was a bust.

If you want to boil this down to personal potshots, I can think of quite a few "just want to be right" on the other side, too. Goes to show how pointless an approach that is, as tempted as I am to engage in it myself.

The key difference is, those on "Team Penny" want to be right because Penny being a stud benefits their favorite team.

What leg do the negative Penny posters have to stand on? Other than personal satisfaction of being right, there is literally nothing else. Penny being a non asset as a 1st round pick hurts their favorite team.

Why would one "want to be right" on Penny being a bust if their favorite team plays in Seattle?

That's where personal pride gets gross and weird. We see it on message boards all the time.

I do it myself quite frequently if I'm being honest :D

Pride gets involved when someone is selected with big collateral with a first-round pick but then gets legitimately outplayed and doesn't get the job. And Carson did legitimately outplay him last year. We had one of the top rushing attacks in the NFL, if not THE top, with Carson in the chamber.

Pride also gets involved when word gets out that a player didn't take the offseason seriously. That's happened twice now. That's 100% on Penny and the second time, especially, is pretty difficult to deflect when it comes straight from his own mouth.

Pride gets involved yet again when one of Penny's biggest knocks coming out of the draft, lack of solid pass pro skills, gets his QB sacked. It happened at least once again today.

If Penny can keep it up, great. I don't really care as long as the best RB is out there. But it needs to be consistent, and it needs to be physical. I was more impressed by that 5-yard grinding run against the 49ers - the one that made half a dozen people in the Gameday forum think it was Carson - then anything that he did today.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1esya5dy said:
Hawkpower":1esya5dy said:
MontanaHawk05":1esya5dy said:
Scorpion05":1esya5dy said:
People should eat crow. The negativity around Penny reminds of the negativity surrounding Wilson when he came out. People really, REALLY wanted to be right about Wilson being a "fun backup."

Same here. People really, REALLY want to be right about Penny not being worth it. In truth, MOST late 1st round picks end up being average to out of the league. Penny on several occasions has shown he has elite speed and cutting ability. People just chose to nitpick, because they want to be right. If we're being objective (and some of you aren't), Penny was never given the amount of carries to definitely prove he was a bust.

If you want to boil this down to personal potshots, I can think of quite a few "just want to be right" on the other side, too. Goes to show how pointless an approach that is, as tempted as I am to engage in it myself.

The key difference is, those on "Team Penny" want to be right because Penny being a stud benefits their favorite team.

What leg do the negative Penny posters have to stand on? Other than personal satisfaction of being right, there is literally nothing else. Penny being a non asset as a 1st round pick hurts their favorite team.

Why would one "want to be right" on Penny being a bust if their favorite team plays in Seattle?

That's where personal pride gets gross and weird. We see it on message boards all the time.

Pride gets involved when someone is selected with big collateral with a first-round pick but then gets legitimately outplayed and doesn't get the job. And Carson did legitimately outplay him last year. We had one of the top rushing attacks in the NFL, if not THE top, with Carson in the chamber.

Pride also gets involved when word gets out that a player didn't take the offseason seriously. That's happened twice now. That's 100% on Penny and the second time, especially, is pretty difficult to deflect when it comes straight from his own mouth.

Pride gets involved yet again when one of Penny's biggest knocks coming out of the draft, lack of solid pass pro skills, gets his QB sacked. It happened at least once again today.

If Penny can keep it up, great. I don't really care as long as the best RB is out there. But it needs to be consistent, and it needs to be physical. I was more impressed by that 5-yard grinding run against the 49ers - the one that made half a dozen people in the Gameday forum think it was Carson - then anything that he did today.

People hated Penny on day 1 before most of the things you talked about above even happened. They dug their heels in on it and have been looking for confirmation of it (so they could be right) ever since. Even if it is in spite of Seahawk success.

All of the things you typed above may or may not be true. But they aren't at all relevant to what you quoted of my text. That's a different argument altogether.

Like you, I don't care who the RB is either. I like both guys. Who cares if someone thinks another guy would have been a better pick. He's here now. Support him. Hope that he continues to develop. Isnt that in ALL of our best interest??

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":21dytu09 said:
Hawkpower":21dytu09 said:
MontanaHawk05":21dytu09 said:
Scorpion05":21dytu09 said:

Exactly how I feel. I think that run up the middle against the 49ers was a better play than his three big runs. Why? The plays we saw on display today are exactly the type of plays that Penny has been able to execute since day one here. Two of his big runs came to the outside, and the last came from a massive gap in the middle that was opened up by the offensive line. It was literally big enough to drive a UPS truck through. Penny then used his speed to outrun everyone. Penny has always excelled when you get him into space. This is why a majority of his runs are to the outside. The question about him has always been about what he can do with a little crease, and create yardage on the basic plays.

The run against the 49ers was more impressive because it demonstrated something that he never did before, a quick and decisive run up the middle. Not only that he shed a tackler that squared up on him and he got extra yardage. That is what he needs to do in order to become a consistent back in the league.

Penny at this point in time is at a critical juncture. His fate as a player will be decided by what he does with the majority of this season, and more importantly what he does in the offseason. I think it is clear by watching Penny, and by his own omissions that he has had an effort issue. Came into camp both seasons massively overweight, felt like he should be handed the job because he was a first round pick. The same kind of mentality that Christine Michael had. I'm not sure he grasps the playbook entirely either. He seems to need direction from Russ on every play, and at times he looks confused, and befuddled out on the field. This was a concern of mine when we drafted Penny. At the Senior Bowl week he struggled to grasp the offense and he had a very poor week of practice.

At the end of the day Penny reminds me A LOT of Eddie Lacy. A player that had all of the physical talents in the world, a player that was a grade A talent. Unfortunately Lacy's demons got the best of him and he never realized his potential, and he wasted what could have been a great NFL career if he had gotten out of his own way. I think above all else the next offseason will be make or break for Rashaad Penny as a player, even above what he does with the rest of this season. Will he be the Eddie Lacy that should've been or will he become the Eddie Lacy that was.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Kid has another gear, people stop hating... we tried trading out the spot and had no value in return so we took a very solid dynamic player with the pick... yes should have chip blocked on that play before releasing but damn he has minimal snaps.. dude has a gear very few in the league have let alone with his size...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Just read he hired a Nutritionist and they recommend that he give up McDonalds which he did and has lost weight and got faster.

Got to love these College educated guys, had to hire someone to tell him McDonalds is not healthy food.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2g7lci6h said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198724304881491969[/tweet]

Glad he came to that conclusion.. he needs a more explosive start and losing that weight will help.

Just don't understand why players looking to potentially make millions of dollars would not take the game seriously. It's these players, I can do without, wev'e had enough of them.

kobebryant

Reaction score
xray":21qrb8ko said:

There's a difference between guys who can be caught from behind and those who can't. I like Carson a lot, prefer him to Penny, but we saw Carson get caught from behind just a few weeks ago against Tampa.

The acceleration, burst and top end speed on a guy the size of Rashaad Penny is pretty special. But I'm just not sure how much you can play him if you can't trust him in pass protection (which is a critique that Saquan is dealing with right now).

knownone

Reaction score
Damn... I know Eddie Lacy had weight issues, but you guys realize he’s out of the league because of foot and ankle issues right? Dude had toe fusion surgery in college, two foot surgeries and an ankle surgery in the pros. He’s out of the league because he can no longer explode, not because he’s out of shape. Shoot, Jerome Bettis and Mike Tolbert stayed in the league for a decade + and neither of those guys stayed in shape.

As for Penny, he’s the most dynamic rushing threat on our roster. He can be one of the best backs in the league if he can learn to run through contact consistently and pass protect a little better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Penny is making progress and today he looked like Shaun-Alexander-level talent on a couple runs. The light bulb is going on in his head, that he can't dominate at the NFL level on just athletic ability like he could in college. He's made progress the last few weeks on inside runs and is just now starting to look like the talent we were hoping for when drafting him. Has he developed as fast as we hoped? No, for sure. Is he showing actual growth and progress? Yes! Is there reason to believe he'll continue to develop and improve? Hell yes!

I put Penny in my sig as a "Breakout Player" this season way back in September, and he has been mostly underwhelming until today. I contemplated removing him from my sig, and he seemed to be in the doghouse after the 49er game. Nah, I'd rather stick with him and be loudly wrong, rather than fair-weather-fan bailing on him. As if my support made any difference, lol. But clearly he hasn't given up, and Pete hasn't given up on him.