Penny

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I told you he can play. I always believed in Rashaad Penny. I've seen enough of him over the years to know he has the speed and athleticism that you can't teach. He never really struggled with weight at San Diego State Aztecs BTW. I'm a little surprised to see that. 238 lbs. is way too much for him. I'm shocked he got that high. That's like a FB and he will lose his speed. Which is the best aspect of his game no doubt. 230 lbs. is OK. But I would still like to see him at 225 lbs. He played around 220 lbs. - 228 lbs. at San Diego State. I would like to see him just under 230 lbs. It's a misconception however to say he can't be fast at somewhat of a bigger weight. He was never a little back. He is a bulky, strong back with explosive speed. You just don't want to let him get too big. Penny is lighting quick and long speed fast if he is at the right weight. I'm glad to hear he has a nutritionist and is working hard to keep his weight in check.

As for the pass protection as some others have said he is getting better at it. It's not that Penny can't do it IMO. At San Diego State he just got the ball a lot and didn't pass block a lot. So coming out he had little experience at this. In his 2nd year now as some others said he is getting better and he will continue to get even better. Also the way he lines up and how you use him is somewhat different from San Diego State too. I think there was just an adjustment time period here. Not every guy is a super star the 1st game of their rookie year. Penny has gotten better. That is obvious. I think he is more comfortable in your system, at pass blocking and keeping his weight in check.

I've seen enough of Rashaad Penny to know there is just way too much natural talent there for him not to succeed. I always believed he would. I knew the explosive speed he has when he keeps his weight in check and stays focused. Penny is a good kid and not a head case. Things just came easy to him in College like Pete Carroll has talked about. Because he was such a good athlete. In the NFL you have to be mentally focused and he is picking up that aspect of the game now. I'm happy for him and glad to see that he is succeeding. I will say it again there is just too much speed there for him not to succeed. In fact IMO he plays faster and more explosive than he even times. He can go the distance from anywhere on the field.

He has almost 6 yards a carry. There are only so many guys in the NFL who can do that. First of all you have to be fast and explosive and have big plays. Which he certainly has. Penny is productive in more limited opportunities. 14 for 129 yards and a 9.2 yard average with a 58 yard long rushing TD is a great game. He is capable of that. Believe me. If you give it to him 14 times and he can do that what if you give it to him 20 times or 25 or 28 times? Double what he had for example. I can tell you from watching him here over the course of his career Penny is the type of player who really heats up with more carries. If you can get him 20 - 25 carries a game you will see 2 - 3 of those long breakaway runs for TD's. He is really outstanding and heats up more with more carries. He seems to get better and better that way. 14 carries is very minimal for him. He's not that kind of back. He really could use more.

Again I would say to you all he came from a little less known program which is a little smaller than some. This was an adjustment to him. You are doing things a lot different on offense for system than what he was used to. Also he didn't pass block much in College. As I have stated it's not that he can't. It's that in College they wanted the ball in his hands. So he didn't have a lot of experience with it. But he is adjusting and getting better. He is getting more comfortable in your system too with each passing week. Penny just has way too much natural talent not to have some big, explosive runs and TD's and to succeed for you. He is a rare guy at 220+ lbs. who can take it the distance at any time. Those guys don't grow on trees. As long as he keeps his weight in check I believe he will succeed in a huge way for you. It would be good to give him more carries too. The best Penny gets a lot of carries and really heats up as the game goes along. If you get a big lead in some game feed him 25 - 30 times to run out the game. I believe you will see some real big plays.

:D

onepicknick1

Reaction score
justafan":ivsmcd00 said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

I don't think people hate him If he was like a Lynch we'd all be on board. I say he's a more east and west runner then a north and south and there's nothing wrong with that.
I would love it he ripped off 5 yards every-time he was handed the ball I would love to say he's the best back we have but he's not at this time.
I definitely say he's a step above Le'Veon Bell the so called patient runner.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
It's late Monday night here, and I've had a few beers, celebrating our road win today. I'm not predicting we'll win the Superbowl, or even (PLEASE!) the NFC #1 seeding... but let's just simply ///enjoy///

And then look towards next Monday night's game (Tuesday arvo for me) at home, vs. Vikings.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
My main point wasn’t that Penny never did anything wrong, or made any mistakes. My point was that the critique was never holistic.

I was never more “Team Penny” than I was Team Fairness. I’d like to think I’m consistent on that, whether it was criticism of Russ, Penny, Shaquem, etc.

Penny didn’t get last year’s offseason to truly grasp the offense and get into a groove. We nitpick about his weight, but that matters. Even with his weight issues supposedly, he had some GREAT runs last year.

Then we come into this year, and the anti-Penny crowd have PURPOSELY gone out of their way to highlight Penny’s flaws and mistakes, while focusing on Carson. Including his fumbling issues, Carson has made MORE mistakes this year. But the Penny bias has prevented them from evaluating everything fairly.

As I argued last year and will continue to argue now, Penny has elite speed, burst, and agility. Some players take longer to develop than others. In truth, Penny never got the amount of carries to 100% justify keeping him on the bench

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This another tibit for Penny Haters who bring up the fact Penny
didn't go to a so called"big school"..

OverviewEarly yearsCollege careerProfessional careerPost-NFL career
Marshall William Faulk is a former American football player who was a running back in the National Football League for twelve seasons. He played college football for San Diego State University, and was a two-time consensus All-American. He was selected by the Indianapolis Colts as the second overall pick in the 1994 NFL Draft, and he also played professionally for the NFL's St. Louis Rams. Faulk is one of only three NFL players to reach at least 10,000 rushing y…
See more on en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license
College: San Diego State Receiving yards: 6,875 High school: New Orleans (LA) Carver Rushing yards: 12,279

Only a HOF(2011) He is one of the best I ever saw ..Watched him live-Super fast.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1kokcwpx said:
Sounds like a player that was elite where he was and never had to push himself, now that the playing field is competitive and since he was a first rounder he pouted and his work ethic showed he wasn't committed to the program in the right way. Both last year and this year, he could come around, he has talent if he can get the cotton candy out of between his ears and belly.

I agree and it pissed me off to hear him actually say he came in overweight and didn't make the needed changes to excel at the next level. Now he's saying he has and he's had some really good games this year. Hopefully all that is behind him and he does what it takes to be the best player he can be. We'll see the jury is still out on his work ethic.

He is getting better though and if he gets a hole he's gone he has that type of speed. I'm not sold on him yet as a consistent replacement if something happens to Carson but his future looks better right now than at any point since he was drafted.

justafan

Reaction score
I get peoples feeling about Penny when stories come out about him not taking the offseason serious.

It reminds me of the Tate years when he coasted and you see Baldwin doing more with less. It took me a while to become a fan of his. He aggravated the crap out of me. But I knew we were better with him than without him.

justafan

Reaction score
IndyHawk":rqbohosy said:
This another tibit for Penny Haters who bring up the fact Penny
didn't go to a so called"big school"..

OverviewEarly yearsCollege careerProfessional careerPost-NFL career
Marshall William Faulk is a former American football player who was a running back in the National Football League for twelve seasons. He played college football for San Diego State University, and was a two-time consensus All-American. He was selected by the Indianapolis Colts as the second overall pick in the 1994 NFL Draft, and he also played professionally for the NFL's St. Louis Rams. Faulk is one of only three NFL players to reach at least 10,000 rushing y…
See more on en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license
College: San Diego State Receiving yards: 6,875 High school: New Orleans (LA) Carver Rushing yards: 12,279

Only a HOF(2011) He is one of the best I ever saw ..Watched him live-Super fast.

There are articles out there about how Penny reached out to Faulk after being disappointed with himself last season. He seems to have turned the corner as far as coming into camp ready for the season.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The bitchiness over Penny is kind of absurd.

I don't understand people who are either absolutely in love or really dislike him as a player. How did you guys get like this?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3l9cci8o said:
Hawkpower":3l9cci8o said:
scutterhawk":3l9cci8o said:
mikeak":3l9cci8o said:
I never seen so much love for a guy that has accomplished so little...
His followers think that "He Has Arrived", even though he hasn't yet shown that he can be the more complete Back that Pete Carroll covets.
Need Confirmation?, well then, let's do some comparisons….Which RB hits the line LIKE MARSHAWN LYNCH does?---> Carson....Which RB has outright won the job as starter?, again...Carson.
I think YOUNG Penny will prove his worth, and why Pete Carroll ain't in no damned hurry to trade him away.......ESPECIALLY for a 3rd rounder.
"And they all lived happily ever after" ….The End

Aren't "his followers" all of us?

Isnt he a player on the Seahawks?

Shouldnt we all want him to succeed?

Being "right" shouldnt supercede Seahawk success. Sad that it does for a few people here.
I'm happy as hell that he's here as a great BACKUP to Carson, just not ready to throw Carson to the dogs. LIKE HIS Penny Over Carson "Followers"
Carson BLOCKS for his Quarterback, Penny "Whiffed" on a block, and the Seahawks #1 player GOT SACKED because of it, eh?

Carson whiffed a couple yesterday too. People keep saying Penny whiffed on Jenkins but I think Penny didn't think Jenkins was coming on a delayed blitz but rather assigned to cover him as he went out on his route.

But hey, Russ got sacked so it has to be an egregious error by the running back and he's clearly going to get Russ killed.

If anyone is going to get Russ killed, it's Hunt.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bmorepunk":z8bg3bge said:
The b!@ch over Penny is kind of absurd.

I don't understand people who are either absolutely in love or really dislike him as a player. How did you guys get like this?

It's the internet. Land of extremes. Sadly some of us with moderate opinions that things are neither as good or as bad as they seem, largely get washed away by the polarized intelligentsia.

sutz

Reaction score
Mad Dog":ugrhk7hz said:
bmorepunk":ugrhk7hz said:

It's the internet. Land of extremes. Sadly some of us with moderate opinions that things are neither as good or as bad as they seem, largely get washed away by the polarized intelligentsia.
Well said Mad Dog. :2thumbs:

justafan

Reaction score
bmorepunk":a7y5zyxo said:

So we should be luke warm as fans?

Im excited to see him carry the load yesterday and be a big part of the reason we won. I am excited that we have someone who can replace Carson if something were to happen.
Im a fan because he is a Seahawk.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Penny is a valuable alternative.

I am baffled why people want the Seahawks to be left with less alternatives.

He is also a threat to score a TD from outside the red zone. Carson is not really a threat to do that at all.

Having a guy that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field changes how the defense has to approach things. If Carson gets free, you are still very likely to catch him from behind. Not so with Penny. So a mistake by the defense is more costly.

And having Penny, gives us insurance if we lose Carson.

Both Carson and Penny are great threats catching the ball in the flat and getting good yardage. Penny is more likely to break that one for longer though, just from his speed.

Not sure what people are complaining about in keeping Penny since he makes us better. And if we cut/traded every guy that missed a block, half to 3/4 or our O-line would be missing right now.

Largent80

Reaction score
What you saw yesterday is why they chose him. Yeah they had Carson but the RB position is one of attrition and a very short career for most.

Carson keeps putting the ball on the ground. It's a huge problem, but the Hawks have Penny who has been very lightly used. His speed is undeniable and many here say he's fat and slow. That was put to rest on one play.

Couple that with the Beast like trucking of a would be tackler was a thing of beauty and those types of plays fire up a whole team. The FO was so smart to keep him while all the Debbie Downers wanted to trade him.

justafan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hf4noba said:
hawksfansinceday1":1hf4noba said:
MontanaHawk05":1hf4noba said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198724304881491969[/tweet]
Sounds like the light bulb turned on.

Except this happened last year too. Went from 220 at the Combine to 236 at camp.

That was his rookie camp. This year he came to camp in shape

quadsas

Reaction score
Largent80":kw44t6ga said:
What you saw yesterday is why they chose him. Yeah they had Carson but the RB position is one of attrition and a very short career for most.

Carson keeps putting the ball on the ground. It's a huge problem, but the Hawks have Penny who has been very lightly used. His speed is undeniable and many here say he's fat and slow. That was put to rest on one play.

Couple that with the Beast like trucking of a would be tackler was a thing of beauty and those types of plays fire up a whole team. The FO was so smart to keep him while all the Debbie Downers wanted to trade him.

Well I guess you can call idiots again when he may have another good game next year. He only has 1 a year

Largent80

Reaction score
quadsas":20h5or39 said:
Largent80":20h5or39 said:

Well I guess you can call idiots again when he may have another good game next year. He only has 1 a year

The guy hasn't even played a whole game as the starter yet, what are you even talking about?

justafan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2nlgylrx said:
MontanaHawk05":2nlgylrx said:
Hawkpower":2nlgylrx said:
MontanaHawk05":2nlgylrx said:
If you want to boil this down to personal potshots, I can think of quite a few "just want to be right" on the other side, too. Goes to show how pointless an approach that is, as tempted as I am to engage in it myself.

The key difference is, those on "Team Penny" want to be right because Penny being a stud benefits their favorite team.

What leg do the negative Penny posters have to stand on? Other than personal satisfaction of being right, there is literally nothing else. Penny being a non asset as a 1st round pick hurts their favorite team.

Why would one "want to be right" on Penny being a bust if their favorite team plays in Seattle?

That's where personal pride gets gross and weird. We see it on message boards all the time.

I do it myself quite frequently if I'm being honest :D

Pride gets involved when someone is selected with big collateral with a first-round pick but then gets legitimately outplayed and doesn't get the job. And Carson did legitimately outplay him last year. We had one of the top rushing attacks in the NFL, if not THE top, with Carson in the chamber.

Pride also gets involved when word gets out that a player didn't take the offseason seriously. That's happened twice now. That's 100% on Penny and the second time, especially, is pretty difficult to deflect when it comes straight from his own mouth.

Pride gets involved yet again when one of Penny's biggest knocks coming out of the draft, lack of solid pass pro skills, gets his QB sacked. It happened at least once again today.

If Penny can keep it up, great. I don't really care as long as the best RB is out there. But it needs to be consistent, and it needs to be physical. I was more impressed by that 5-yard grinding run against the 49ers - the one that made half a dozen people in the Gameday forum think it was Carson - then anything that he did today.
Exactly how I feel. I think that run up the middle against the 49ers was a better play than his three big runs. Why? The plays we saw on display today are exactly the type of plays that Penny has been able to execute since day one here. Two of his big runs came to the outside, and the last came from a massive gap in the middle that was opened up by the offensive line. It was literally big enough to drive a UPS truck through. Penny then used his speed to outrun everyone. Penny has always excelled when you get him into space. This is why a majority of his runs are to the outside. The question about him has always been about what he can do with a little crease, and create yardage on the basic plays.

The run against the 49ers was more impressive because it demonstrated something that he never did before, a quick and decisive run up the middle. Not only that he shed a tackler that squared up on him and he got extra yardage. That is what he needs to do in order to become a consistent back in the league.

Penny at this point in time is at a critical juncture. His fate as a player will be decided by what he does with the majority of this season, and more importantly what he does in the offseason. I think it is clear by watching Penny, and by his own omissions that he has had an effort issue. Came into camp both seasons massively overweight, felt like he should be handed the job because he was a first round pick. The same kind of mentality that Christine Michael had. I'm not sure he grasps the playbook entirely either. He seems to need direction from Russ on every play, and at times he looks confused, and befuddled out on the field. This was a concern of mine when we drafted Penny. At the Senior Bowl week he struggled to grasp the offense and he had a very poor week of practice.

At the end of the day Penny reminds me A LOT of Eddie Lacy. A player that had all of the physical talents in the world, a player that was a grade A talent. Unfortunately Lacy's demons got the best of him and he never realized his potential, and he wasted what could have been a great NFL career if he had gotten out of his own way. I think above all else the next offseason will be make or break for Rashaad Penny as a player, even above what he does with the rest of this season. Will he be the Eddie Lacy that should've been or will he become the Eddie Lacy that was.

There have been way too comments about his weight this year that are untrue. He showed up in camp at 220 lbs this year,