Penny

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":13uklmht said:
Penny’s 5.9ypc is the most of any RB in the NFL with over 50 carries. Get him the damn ball.

Wow using your logic he is better then Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris, Shaun Alexander, Ladinian Thomlinson, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton and almost everyone else that has been a Starter for any NFL Franchise.

Largent80

Reaction score
Fade":2jmpqy4z said:
I think Carson has been overworked, and there was no way he would be able to continue that workload.

That is a major factor in why Penny got so many carries in the last game. To lighten Carson's load. It turns out Penny has a little pep in his step, and the Seahawks are going to unleash Penny down the stretch.

#Free Penny

Jeez, so brilliant of an observation since he did it for 3 full years in college. Maybe you should go, you might learn something. Also take journalism since you fancy yourself as a writer. You are the Penny of writers, not enough reps.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1c3wyl6u said:
ImTheScientist":1c3wyl6u said:
Penny’s 5.9ypc is the most of any RB in the NFL with over 50 carries. Get him the damn ball.

Wow using your logic he is better then Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris, Shaun Alexander, Ladinian Thomlinson, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton and almost everyone else that has been a Starter for any NFL Franchise.

Maybe, but he's not better than Eddie Lacy.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Hawkpower":sigldc87 said:
mikeak":sigldc87 said:
justafan":sigldc87 said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

I never seen so much love for a guy that has accomplished so little...

Not really his fault he isnt used more often.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

The guy has demonstrated he deserves more touches.

Yeah. I think he will get some more touches. I like the ideas of a one, two punch. It's too much beating for Carson to get so many touches. I'd like to see how Penny can do on short pass plays too.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, having two backs can only help keep Carson from being overworked and tired at the end of the season. IF he can stop fumbling (and at this point it flat out is an issue) then he should get more carries than Penny. However, the "hot hand" thing is something that should always be considered.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Penny isn't a bell cow RB. But he is a home run hitter.

He needs more touches, or at least a few passes thrown his way.

It does not mean he should start over Carson. Carson is producing like a top 10 back considering the circumstances. Even with the fumbles, we want Carson on the field. But neglecting to use a great weapon like Penny seems really foolish.

Penny just put 130+ on a top 5 rushing defense. How is adding him to the attack plan a bad thing?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3vcgolut said:

Penny had almost 300 carries his senior year in college, he certainly is a bell cow back.........and that's why we drafted him over guys like Guice and Michel, Pete wanted another tough physical Lynch type back that could handle the load he wants from his run game.

Just so happened Carson recovered from his injury and out competed Penny in camp last year to put a stranglehold on the position, and he's been relegated to the backup role ever since.

He's the same height/weight as Marshawn was when he was here. So Penny certainly can be a primary back, and again it's why we drafted him so high over other RB's available.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mi90dg6m said:
TwistedHusky":mi90dg6m said:

Penny had almost 300 carries his senior year in college, he certainly is a bell cow back.........and that's why we drafted him over guys like Guice and Michel, Pete wanted another tough physical Lynch type back that could handle the load he wants from his run game.

Just so happened Carson recovered from his injury and out competed Penny in camp last year to put a stranglehold on the position, and he's been relegated to the backup role ever since.

He's the same height/weight as Marshawn was when he was here. So Penny certainly can be a primary back, and again it's why we drafted him so high over other RB's available.

I think Pete would prefer two tough physical backs to one bell cow. Lynch was special. I'm not sure Pete is deluded enough to think he can catch lightning in a bottle twice. Pete looks more like he wants a stable of backs with many characteristics, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted Prosise or Homer who are clearly not "Bell cow" types.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seanhawk":rajfj6r9 said:
chris98251":rajfj6r9 said:
ImTheScientist":rajfj6r9 said:

Maybe, but he's not better than Eddie Lacy.

I look at Eddie Lacy's time here like I look at TJ Duckett, Franco Harris, Edgerrin James, backs that had lost their edge and something physical by the time they arrived but were once very good.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":cw8fzp55 said:
ImTheScientist":cw8fzp55 said:

Are those guys playing this year? If there is a logic fail it was with your post. Lol...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1tiwln85 said:
scutterhawk":1tiwln85 said:
Thepeelsessions":1tiwln85 said:
It was awesome to see Rashaad bring it yesterday. He gutted an elite run stuffing D. The shoulder lean he gave Ronald Darby was reminiscent of Lynch's stiff arm to Tracy Porter in terms of how easily the defenders just bounced right off them.

I hope Pete will finally stick to what he says regarding the RB position and gets Penny more touches going forward. It's no coincidence that Penny's monster games all involve him getting 10+ carries.

I swear, some here are so desperate to find a true Lynch clone. Yes, we were absolutely spoiled to have him. But Carson isn't Lynch, no matter how many here want him to be or think he is. Their games are very similar, yes. But there's a big difference. Lynch showed the ability to house it more than a few times. Carson has not.
And yet, Marshawn Lynch wasn't as TD "money" as Shawn Alexander in the Red Zone.
Aside from Duane Brown Our Offensive Line is nowhere near nasty enough to block for Penny, not like the 2004-2005 Offensive line that Bulldozed Defenses for Alexander.
Penny (like Alexander) is/was a "Finesse" Back, Carson (like Lynch) pounds the rock....Two completely different style of RB's....Carson got us there, so I wouldn't expect that Pete will just kick him to the curb.
Like I said in another post, I think Pete wants to wear down Defenses with Carson, and then bring in a pair of fresh legs to finish them off.

Penny is averaging 5.9ypc behind our line this year and 5.3ypc when you put his last 2 years together. What are you even talking about? Lol.

Are you expecting 7ypc behind a decent line? I don’t understand your argument. Making someone miss is making them miss. Does it matter if you make them grab air or you run them over? It’s like you want to ignore the actual data. If you say things enough maybe it will convince someone. I deal in facts.
Deal with this FACT, IF Penny could have consistently moved the pile, LIKE PETE WANTS HIS BACKS TO DO, he would have taken Carson's job away from him long ago.
I wouldn't expect that Pete was going to kick Carson to the curb in favor of playing Penny.....The "FACT" that Carson has been given the lions share of the carries, tells us all, that he EARNED them.
Look, I've always liked Penny, WAY BEFORE he was even Drafted, and I hope he continues to light up the Defenses going down the stretch, but, over the past couple years, Carson earned the hard yards, and Pete's trust.
If Carson continues having issues with Fumbling the ball, I would expect that Pete will meter him back a little, and give Penny a little more of the workload, but if that happens, Penny is going to have to take what he can get, even it that means pounding out some hard yards.

The fact that Carson is wearing down because of the workload he's been under, that bodes well for Penny, and if he can keep on playing WITH CONSISTENCY I think that would go a long ways with Pete.

Elemas

Reaction score
The old YPC argument eh? It's a stat...I guess. 5.9 YPC sounds good.

Unless your offensive series, let's say 3 straight runs looks like this.

3 yds, 3, 3, Punt....3,3,3, Punt...., 3,3,3, Punt, 32 yard carry.

That's 5.9 YPC too.

If he were the best back on the team, he'd be playing more. Glad he's there to give Carson a breather. If Carson keeps up with the fumbles, who knows what the future holds.

mikeak

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3vi4jy0u said:
Mad Dog":3vi4jy0u said:
DomeHawk":3vi4jy0u said:
Hawkpower":3vi4jy0u said:
Not really his fault he isnt used more often.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

The guy has demonstrated he deserves more touches.

The 6 ypc is a bit of a skewed stat. He has had some long carries that bring that stat up. Mostly, he goes nowhere.

Having said that, I think he can be a workable backup for now.

So you are saying that Barry Sanders shouldn't be in the hall of fame?

Some backs are boom or bust runners like Sanders, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles. Some backs are physical slashers like Carson, Lynch, Earl Campbell. They all are good in different ways. You get more from nothing with the physical guys but you get home runs from the boom or bust types.

That's the kind of back Penny is for the most part. He will give you some average plays once in a while. But he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. So you have to keep feeding him. Because you never know when his big break out long run plays are coming. They are just different backs. Carson is a banger for short to medium yardage in heavy traffic and breaking tackles. Penny will run in open space sometimes all the way to the endzone. You have thunder (Carson) and lightning (Penny). There is really nothing wrong with that. That is useful for an NFL team.

This is not how football works and especially not Seattle. The run is to milk clock but also get first downs. You can't have negative run play because 3 and out is an issue.

We rather move the chains slowly but forward over occasional home runs

mikeak

Reaction score
Bobblehead":9acgwphm said:
MontanaHawk05":9acgwphm said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1198724304881491969[/tweet]

Glad he came to that conclusion.. he needs a more explosive start and losing that weight will help.

Just don't understand why players looking to potentially make millions of dollars would not take the game seriously. It's these players, I can do without, wev'e had enough of them.

Second year in a row

First year injury (hand?) And gained a ton of weight

Now second year being out of shape. Sorry no excuses for that

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1j3bas6x said:
chris98251":1j3bas6x said:
ImTheScientist":1j3bas6x said:

Are those guys playing this year? If there is a logic fail it was with your post. Lol...

No you take a Stat and try to make it all encompassing for why he should be a starter, I simply said all those backs and almost every other one in the league would not start over him given you standards. Which really is saying your cherry picking for validation of your argument.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":c4fraypg said:
ImTheScientist":c4fraypg said:
chris98251":c4fraypg said:
ImTheScientist":c4fraypg said:

No you take a Stat and try to make it all encompassing for why he should be a starter, I simply said all those backs and almost every other one in the league would not start over him given you standards. Which really is saying your cherry picking for validation of your argument.

Lol. K bud. The stat is the stat. I only deal in facts bro. Here is another one. Chris Carson leads the league in fumbles on a team that has a coach who’s number one priority is protect the ball.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
mikeak":2kzgaf0o said:
SanDiego49er":2kzgaf0o said:
Mad Dog":2kzgaf0o said:
DomeHawk":2kzgaf0o said:
The 6 ypc is a bit of a skewed stat. He has had some long carries that bring that stat up. Mostly, he goes nowhere.

Some backs are boom or bust runners like Sanders, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles. Some backs are physical slashers like Carson, Lynch, Earl Campbell. They all are good in different ways. You get more from nothing with the physical guys but you get home runs from the boom or bust types.

That's the kind of back Penny is for the most part. He will give you some average plays once in a while. But he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. So you have to keep feeding him. Because you never know when his big break out long run plays are coming. They are just different backs. Carson is a banger for short to medium yardage in heavy traffic and breaking tackles. Penny will run in open space sometimes all the way to the endzone. You have thunder (Carson) and lightning (Penny). There is really nothing wrong with that. That is useful for an NFL team.

This is not how football works and especially not Seattle. The run is to milk clock but also get first downs. You can't have negative run play because 3 and out is an issue.

Nope. None of this is correct in regards to their philosophy. Happy Thanksgiving though.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The issue here isn't Penny it's Carson he's not the same RB he was last year. Then there's his fumble problems he has to clean that up . The Vikings game is important for Carson he needs to hold on to the ball and have a good game . We'll see what Penny can do if he has another good game you can expect them to start splitting carries.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
mikeak":2a64koxh said:
SanDiego49er":2a64koxh said:
Mad Dog":2a64koxh said:
DomeHawk":2a64koxh said:

Disagree. If that was their philosophy then they would also endorse a short passing game to run clock and get first downs. Instead they take their shots.

My impression is that they run to establish a physical presence, to maintain balance, to set up play action and to minimize risk. Milking clock is only a thing when they've established a lead.

Pete wants to be balanced so that you can't just shut one thing down. So he will always want to run the ball. Pete wants to have a tough physically dominant team. So he will run the ball. Pete wants to hit deep shots off of play action. So he will run the ball.

I'm sure Pete loves chunk plays in the run as much as he loves them in the pass. Flipping the field is as important to him as not giving the ball away. So I'm sure he's excited about every home run running play we hit. Probably even moreso than every long bomb Wilson hits.

And nothing sets up play action better then getting chunk runs.That'll bring your safeties and LB's into the box in a hurry.